Toshiba 46H84 HDCP Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 02-03-2007, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all. I originally posted a probably with what I thought was my Onkyo 804 receiver in another thread, but I think I've isolated the problem since then...

Here are all the components in my set-up

Toshiba 46h84
Onkyo TX-SR 804
DirecTV H10 receiver
Xbox 360
Philips 637 PS DVD Player
Tivo Series 2

I recently purchased an Onkyo 804 for its HDMI inputs and upscaling to HDMI so that I'll only need to run one cable to my TV. Upon hooking it up tonight, I've noticed that the video over HDMI has an unbearable flicker. Every 5 secs it will cut to black, hold for a second, then come back. I know that it's not the HDMI cable, as I've ran them directly to the TV with no problem. Furthermore, it's not just problems with HDMI sources, as all of the components that are upscaled from component to HDMI (360, DVD) still flicker and cut out.

This morning, I brought my Olevia 232V down and hooked it up to the receiver's HDMI out....no problems. No flickers or cutouts, whereas with the Toshiba I would have both sound and video cutouts approximately every 4.5 seconds.

I've had an HDMI cable running to my TV (no pass through) for 20 months with no ill effects.

What is the issue between the devices? Why can the 804 communicate flawlessly with the Olevia, but not my Toshiba RPTV? It's very puzzling.

Thanks in advance for replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-04-2007, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I return my 46hm84 to costco for the similar reasons. My Hdmi completey went out on the set. First I thought it was my Yamaha receiver but it turn out to be the TV. Hope you have an extended warranty..
post #3 of 29 Old 02-04-2007, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandl View Post

I return my 46hm84 to costco for the similar reasons. My Hdmi completey went out on the set. First I thought it was my Yamaha receiver but it turn out to be the TV. Hope you have an extended warranty..

I do, but the HDMI works perfectly on the set if I run it directly from the Direct h10 receiver. That's what the confusing part is...it's not as though the HDMI is totally kaput, it only acts bizarre if connected through the receiver to that specific TV...the receiver to my other TV (an Olevia 232v) causes no issues at all w/ video or audio dropout.
post #4 of 29 Old 02-04-2007, 11:01 PM

I read through your owner's manual (nice receiver ) and the only page that stands out is 92 for troubleshooting. sorry i am at a loss, my prob was pretty open and shut one day it worked the next it did not but I do recall the flicker then blackness and I got a connection error on my receiver. Good luck very interested to know how this gets resolved.

FYI my Yamaha 1600 gave me the HDCP error but I was not able to connect anything via TV hdmi and get it to work. Is it possible that there is a compatibility issue between your AVR and Tosh.
post #5 of 29 Old 02-05-2007, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandl View Post

Is it possible that there is a compatibility issue between your AVR and Tosh.

That's what I'm fearing. I'm going to call Onkyo, Toshiba, and the dealer I bought it from today to find out.

Of course, since my receiver has RS-232 control, I'm hoping that the worst case scenario is just that it requires a firmware upgrade to solve this issue, but who knows.
post #6 of 29 Old 02-05-2007, 04:26 AM

good luck man...we were just joking at work about how we buy all this expensive AV equipment to improve they way we view movies, games and listen to music just to get more stressed over technical issues...go figure hope you get it all working where did you buy your TV???
post #7 of 29 Old 02-05-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

I called Onkyo, Best Buy, Toshiba, and The online retailer I bought the Onkyo 804 from.

Best Buy was very helpful. They quickly set up an appointment for a guy to come out and look at the TV (although I doubt he'll be of any help)

Toshiba tried to be helpful, but ultimately the CSR didn't really know anything. They were unsure of the HDMI version # for the TV, but thought it might be 1.1 or 1.2. There's no way it was 1.2, as I bought it in 6/2005, so it's most likely 1.0 or 1.1. Toshiba had no firmware updates available for the 46H84.

Authorized Electronics, the etailer that I bought the receiver from, thought that it was a compatibility issue between the receiver and the TV (shocker), but couldn't offer me any helpful advice.

Onkyo was worthless. I was on hold for 30+ minutes, and the CSR I talked to was a complete tool. Very rude, and had no desire to listen to my complaints. He said they only issue updates for the receivers w/ NetTune capability, so I asked him why would my receiver have an RS-232 port if there weren't going to be firmware updates for it (since it doesn't have NetTune capability). This only peeved him off more, made him more unhelpful, and he essentially just passed the buck on. He also said he had no idea of when they would release firmware for HDMI 1.3 (if ever)

So, I basically have a tech coming out to tell me there's nothing he can do. Awesome . I know I'm but one customer, but it would be nice if one of the companies wouldn't pass the buck on to the next (I have my fingers crossed about BB)
post #8 of 29 Old 02-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Hope it works out for you...Got any buddies with a (Hdmi) receiver if so have them bring it over and give it a try.
post #9 of 29 Old 02-15-2007, 09:09 AM

i just purchased a PS3 and tried to connect to my 46H84 and had the same issue. i just had a Best Buy tech come out to my house and we trouble shot the set...the fun part was going through all the same stuff that i did previously to check for issues.

I also have a D-Link DSM520 hd media lounge, and a H10 DTV receiver, both of which have HDMI outputs.

The D-link doesn't talk to my tosh and neither did the PS3, H10 didn't work when i trouble shot but of course BB tech comes and it works...

we talked to the Tosh tech support(ha) compatibility issues was all the guy could say

we then took the PS3 downstairs to my Tosh 32HLC56 LCD and what do ya know...it worked

long story short BB is ordering me a new HDMI module and we will go from there...but don't worry when the tech comes to install that and it still doesn't work i get to deal with it and like it...but i get a free convergance and cleaning YAY(sarcasm)

any suggestions to get BB to swap my tv under their PSP(performance service plan)

I'll be where I'm at!

PS3: Manley23
post #10 of 29 Old 02-15-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknoberts View Post

Update:

So, I basically have a tech coming out to tell me there's nothing he can do. Awesome . I know I'm but one customer, but it would be nice if one of the companies wouldn't pass the buck on to the next (I have my fingers crossed about BB)

any updates on what BB did for you?

I'll be where I'm at!

post #11 of 29 Old 02-19-2007, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmanley View Post

Update:

BB let me set up an appt with a tech, who came out on Thursday. He didn't have any answers. Played around w/ the Toshiba remote for a few minutes, listened to my story, and then left to do some research. He said if he called in the next few days that it may be a firmware issue. It's been a few days, so it's probably not that (or at the very least, neither Tosh nor Onkyo have the requisite firmware updates necessary to get them to agree w/ one another).

He's going to try to replace the HDMI board next if there is no software/firmware resolution. I doubt that will have any effect, but I guess you can always hope.
post #12 of 29 Old 02-19-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hopefully, when he replaces the board, he'll do convergence/cleaning along w/ it/
post #13 of 29 Old 02-21-2007, 11:02 AM

i got the same responce...i have a feeling he will replace the board, which still won't work, clean the bulbs and converge it. my guess is he will mess with the brightness of each bulb and i won't like the way it looks. such is life.

I hate being punished for having the first wave of a new technology(HDMI)

i wish they would perfect compatibility issues before they mass distribute it, especially since they talk it up from the start with its max capabilities. (rant) sorry.

I'll be where I'm at!

post #14 of 29 Old 03-22-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Update--

A service technician came from Household Electronics in Toledo Ohio today. He replaced the HDMI board and viola--everything works perfectly. Crazy, but successful. I'm stunned, but thankful that it worked.
post #15 of 29 Old 03-23-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknoberts View Post

Update--

A service technician came from Household Electronics in Toledo Ohio today. He replaced the HDMI board and viola--everything works perfectly. Crazy, but successful. I'm stunned, but thankful that it worked.

HOLY CRAP!! so you have a HDMI board with 1.2/1.3 compatibilities in your 46H84?!?!?!

this makes me sort of happy, but did best buy do it or did you have to pay Household Electronics to bring a new board? if so how much?

thanks in advance

I'll be where I'm at!

post #16 of 29 Old 03-25-2007, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

HOLY CRAP!! so you have a HDMI board with 1.2/1.3 compatibilities in your 46H84?!?!?!

this makes me sort of happy, but did best buy do it or did you have to pay Household Electronics to bring a new board? if so how much?

thanks in advance

Best Buy covered it under the warranty.
post #17 of 29 Old 11-13-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I had similar issues with my (now probably 4 year old) 46H84's HDMI input. I just finally received the replacement HDMI module (had to purchase it myself, as it was out of warranty), and swapped the new module in in place of the old. It's now working perfectly. Thanks to everyone in this thread for providing me the right direction to go in to solve the problem.
post #18 of 29 Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

I had similar issues with my (now probably 4 year old) 46H84's HDMI input. I just finally received the replacement HDMI module (had to purchase it myself, as it was out of warranty), and swapped the new module in in place of the old. It's now working perfectly. Thanks to everyone in this thread for providing me the right direction to go in to solve the problem.

Demon - Did you get the 23148055X as a replacement for the original 23148055 HDMI module? I'm wondering if this is the source of my handshaking issues with my A3 HD-DVD player.

Where did you buy the part, and how much was it?

Thanks!
post #19 of 29 Old 01-26-2008, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

Demon - Did you get the 23148055X as a replacement for the original 23148055 HDMI module?

Yes, that's the part I ordered.

Quote:

I'm wondering if this is the source of my handshaking issues with my A3 HD-DVD player.

It's quite possible; do you get either HDCP failure errors, or steady blinking video (about 3 seconds on, 3 seconds off, repeating continually)? If so, that's probably what you're looking at.

Quote:

Where did you buy the part, and how much was it?

I ordered it through partstore.com; this is a direct link to the part I ordered. It shows up for $121.60 right now - I believe that's what I paid for it as well (though I'd have to check, but that sounds about right).

I actually replaced the part myself; it's a relatively easy job to do. Just don't touch the CRTs (not hard, they're far enough away that if you have steady hands it should be a non-problem). Just remove the screws from around the baffle board above where all the connections are on the back, remove the screws above and below the HDMI port itself, and grab and lift the module. Then remove the 5 cables on it (they're all a unique number of pins, so it's hard to screw up - one is a ground lead attached to the metal enclosure). Once you have the new one, simply reverse the process, plug your TV in, and turn it on, then plug in your HDMI device; it's what I did, and it worked like a charm.
post #20 of 29 Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

It's quite possible; do you get either HDCP failure errors, or steady blinking video (about 3 seconds on, 3 seconds off, repeating continually)? If so, that's probably what you're looking at.

When I first tried the HDMI input, I briefly saw the HD-DVD logo (or, at least part of it IIRC), but now all I get are a white, then magenta and green horizontal bars strobing at five-second intervals.

I'll see if the promised A3 firmware rev 1.4 fixes the problem (Toshiba says that they are aware of it with the "older" sets ...) before I spend the money on the part. I need to crack it open for a good cleaning and focus, anyway.

Thanks for your help!
post #21 of 29 Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 AM

I realize this is an older topic but I cannot find anything else relevant
to my problem. I have a Toshiba 46H84. I frist started seeing a problem
with the HDMI connection to Tivo hd Series 3. The digital channels that
were encrypted suddenly one day would not work anymore but the
local channels would. I tried everything to get this working over the
HDMI and finally gave up and switched it to colorstream. That was a few
months ago, so I puchased a PS3 and the HDMI refuses to connect
at all. Tried different boot sequences, firmware upgrade on the PS3,
different HDMI cables, nothing works. Yesterday I ordered the replacement
HDMI board that Demonfoo installed. It appears to be on backorder
everywhere. The 23148055X is a replacement for the original 23148055
HDMI module but does anyone know the actual specs for the new
part number? I have searched everywhere I can think of but there is
very limited info on this part.
post #22 of 29 Old 04-19-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lns4667 View Post

... Yesterday I ordered the replacement

I've asked the same question on the H83/H84 Thread, but haven't gotten a response. I highly suspect that there are serious issues with the original part that have been corrected in the new revision.

How long is the backorder?
post #23 of 29 Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine was backordered for 3 months; I ended up calling Toshiba repeatedly trying to get some information on when the part would be available. I got it eventually, but they were kinda when I asked them when the parts would be available, when they were producing them, etc.
post #24 of 29 Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 AM

Is this same part # for the HDMI board in a 51H84? I don't have access to a service manual or anything, but after thinking my brand new yamaha receiver was broken I've isolated the display problem to the video component. It sounds like i'm having similar issues to the other folks in this thread.

I'm going to call best buy since I have about 1 month left in that 4 year warranty to see what they'll do, but worst case is I'll just fix it myself if there's a simple board swap to fix the problem (too bad I can't just get best buy to purchase the part and send it to me).

Anyone confirm that this same part will work in the 51H84 as well?
post #25 of 29 Old 05-06-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaft View Post

Anyone confirm that this same part will work in the 51H84 as well?

It's part of the same generation, just the next screen size up. They both use the same HDMI module, so yes, the part would be exactly the same.
post #26 of 29 Old 05-07-2008, 07:31 AM

Cool, that's what I figured. I think I may end up having to make the same change you did. I'm happy with the picture quality and size of the television, I just want to be able to use a newer receiver with the system, especially if I pick up a ps3 here soon.
post #27 of 29 Old 11-10-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lns4667 View Post

I realize this is an older topic but I cannot find anything else relevant
to my problem. I have a Toshiba 46H84. I frist started seeing a problem
with the HDMI connection to Tivo hd Series 3. The digital channels that
were encrypted suddenly one day would not work anymore but the
local channels would. I tried everything to get this working over the
HDMI and finally gave up and switched it to colorstream. That was a few
months ago, so I puchased a PS3 and the HDMI refuses to connect
at all. Tried different boot sequences, firmware upgrade on the PS3,
different HDMI cables, nothing works. Yesterday I ordered the replacement

The plot thickens:

Now, the 23148055X is shown at partstore as "No Longer Available," while the original 23148055 is back in stock. Does anyone have a clue what is up with this?
post #28 of 29 Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM

I am experiencing the same issue. My TIVO will not play any HD channels over HDMI but the component connections work just fine. I have tested my PS3 on a friends TV via HDMI and the system worked just fine. I am currently working with BB on resolving the issue as my 46h84 is under warranty until March 09.
post #29 of 29 Old 01-28-2009, 08:40 PM

So Best Buy told me that my PS3 never actually worked through my HDMI cable and if it did - it was just a fluke.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page