AVS Forum banner

LCOS, DLP, Lcd RP, which one do you reccomend?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  vidguy_1 
#1 ·
[/color][/b]

Hello everyone. I'm in need of all your expert advise, for myself, and anyone who happens upon this forum who is not as learned as most.......

I'm finally in the market for an hdtv and because of the size and cost i'm moving towards RP (rear projection for those who don't know) Now , i've found that most sets in the under 2k range are not 1080i or p for that matter. Would you more redily buy a larger set with a lower resolution ie 768 or a smaller set with the higher rez?

So ye merry intellectuals. I'm pretty much turned off about DLP, sooooo LCD or LCOS. I've read up on the technology of lcos and it really sounds neat. Went and say a JVC 55", and for the price , it was lookin good. Does anyone know of particular brands to look at , and if this technology is more effective then LCD RP.

And finally, because of the increased half life and decreased cost of plasmas..........are they now worth a look in the under 2k range.

Thanks everyone who can help me out and all those newbies that come after me.

Aaron

See less See more
#2 ·
Unfortunately, there is not right answer for a general question like that. You need to really specifiy exactly what you need to even have a chance of people making valid suggestions. For examply, how far do you sit, how much space do you have, what devices will you have attached to it, how much money can you spend, what kind of lighting is in the room, do particular visual problems (like the rainbow affect) bother you, etc...

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I"ll go more into detail.

Space itself is not an issue. As glare or light sources go, this tv will be with me for a good long time , so that will probably be changing. So that's no an issue for me. Right now there is a fair amount of light from a sliding door, but the shades i have work fairly well, and i can rearrange my light sources to accommodate the set.

As distance goes, i sit about 7-8' from my tv but that can also be adjusted.

Price is my main concern along with of course features. I'm looking in the 1k-2k range. preferably in the low to mid 1k.

I have digital cable through time warner here in LA, a sd dvd player, which i will soon be replacing with one that supports hdmi. I have a yamaha receiver with composite , component , and s-video outputs as well.

I don't have any visual problems that i know of besides my fantastic nearsightedness. So the rainbow effect hasn't presented a problem. Although i haven't had much time with a dlp set to see if it would be one.

I hope this info will be useful for those knowledgeable kind souls who can help me out.

thanks again

Aaron S

#4 ·
Well, that gives a starting point.

At 7-8 feet I'd go for about 50" (definately no more thanf 55"). Since space isn't a problem and price is, a rear projection definately seems like the best bet.

To start with, look at the Sony 50A2000 SXRD and the Samsung S5087W DLP. Both are very good 1080p sets with very good quality pictures. These two are the best in this class, plus the other brands don't seem to make their best quality models in sizes this small. For a comparison of these two sets, just search this forum, there are a ton of threads about them.

Both will also be at the upper end of your price range. However, if this is a TV you plan on keeping for a while, I would really suggest spending the little extra now, because it does make a difference now and you'll be a lot happier later. But it does depend on your eyes, so you have to see for yourself.

If you want to compare it to more economic models, look at the Sony 50E2000 and the Samsung S5086W, or their 46 inch versions. In this cheaper range there's less of a difference between brands, so you can compare to some others too.

#7 ·
LCoS for sure. JVC and Sony have done some great things with this technology. Eliminating 2 big problems with LCD and DLP. (SDE and RBE respectivly).

SSE isnt as bad as some people say. and if you dont know what it is yet, then you wont even notice it.

#9 ·
I'm enjoying my new SXRD. A2000

I was going to buy an LCD, I've already owned Plasma.

I see RBE with every DLP.. even the fast wheel ones

This PQ is just amazing

Small overscan, but remember.. it's still 1:1

(The signal is not "scaled up.. it just extends past the viewable screen area)

I've gotten my PC display to slightly *underscan*.. I notice no loss in quality.. small fonts still Sharp.

The only downside is the lack of 1080p on component for my 360.. but the set de-interlaces the 1080i and 360 looks super Sharp. (it looks pretty good at 720p too)

Check carefully in the stores, make sure that SSE or screen texture does not bother you. (Does'nt really bother me)

PQ wise, it's got the Blacks and Contrast of better plasmas.. with the brightness similar to an LCD.. no SDE whatsoever (I sit within 7 feet)

Super tweakable.. RGB gains and bias right in the user menu.

I think LCoS is a great RP tech..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.