What's JVC's reliability like? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2007, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My neighbour's rptv just went so they're shopping for a new one. They're looking at a JVC DILA rptv or a Samsung, I don't know the model numbers. I said the JVC's picture is supposed to be very good since it's LCoS, but I didn't know anything about their reliability. I figured here would be a good place to ask.
Edit: I think the JVC's model is HD56FC97.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2007, 12:00 AM
aod
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a HUGE JVC thread already open that will answer all your questions and gives impressions, etc... Here's the link.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=715594

Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
IT STINKS

(former JVC owner)

bignorm is my bulldog!!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:29 AM

Never owned a JVC TV, but I've owned a JVC head unit (poor reliability), JVC DVD player (never worked and a horrible horrible customer service experience), and a JVC Reciever (only decent thing from JVC I've owned).

From my customer service experience with them, I will NEVER purchase another JVC product. 3 Times in to be repaired and on the 3rd return to me, it doesn't even power up anymore?!? Total BS.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:20 AM

I can't speak to the TV but I had another video product of theirs that broke in nine months. Customer service refused to fix it even though there were multiple upon multiple reviews of the model reporting the same malfunction. It was clearly a manufacturers defect. Thing thought it's lens cap was on all the time. They had the same problem with about twenty other models in the same catagory. They fixed those models at no charge. They had not as of yet included my model on the defective list. I don't buy JVC anymore.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignorm View Post

IT STINKS

No, your personal experience may "stink" but that says nothing about the topic of the thread.

I suppose it's human nature to assume that one's personal life is the totality of reality, but it's also childish.

My own experience of JVC ownership has been very satisfactory, but that too is just my experience, not the totality of the subject.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

If you listen to everything on the internet, you would never buy a single product since everything is horrible and breaks.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
1-2 years ago, JVC DILAs had poor reliability (defective light engines, premature bulb failures). Owners claim much better reliability with the current models. All brands have a certain number of defective displays, so the best answer is just to make sure to get an extended warranty, no matter which brand you get.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've had my JVC HD70FH96 for almost a year now. On average, it is on for at least 10 hours per day. It still has the original bulb and still provides what is, in my opinion, a superior image quality with unmatched brightness.

Granted, a year is not exactly a long-term reliability statement but it seems quite obvious that JVC has corrected the problems found in their earlier LCoS sets.

Mark
Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 AM

The only JVC product I've ever owned is a 27" CRT TV. I bought it back in 2002. When I first got it, I loved it. The picture was very good and the TV sounded excellent. A couple of years later, it seemed that the picture degraded some. Details started to become lost in dark scenes. Now, you can't really watch a movie with a lot of dark scenes, such as The Crow, because you can barely see what's going on. Then for some reason, about 15 minutes after you turn it on, it makes a very loud humming/ buzzing sound for 20 minutes. Then the sound goes away. I still have the TV in the spare bedroom.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post

The only JVC product I've ever owned is a 27" CRT TV. I bought it back in 2002. When I first got it, I loved it. The picture was very good and the TV sounded excellent. A couple of years later, it seemed that the picture degraded some. Details started to become lost in dark scenes. Now, you can't really watch a movie with a lot of dark scenes, such as The Crow, because you can barely see what's going on. Then for some reason, about 15 minutes after you turn it on, it makes a very loud humming/ buzzing sound for 20 minutes. Then the sound goes away. I still have the TV in the spare bedroom.

I used to have a JVC 27'', and it's normal for CRT's to lose brightness after a few years. That's why you have the brightness control...crank it up a few notches and voila: details in dark scenes are back. Never had the buzzing sound though....
Old 02-13-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

I used to have a JVC 27'', and it's normal for CRT's to lose brightness after a few years. That's why you have the brightness control...crank it up a few notches and voila: details in dark scenes are back. Never had the buzzing sound though....

It's degraded so bad, that cranking up the brightness to the max doesn't help. I've cranked up everything. It doesn't really matter now because I don't watch that TV anymore. I have my Sony now.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:54 PM

Liked: 0
JVC won't fix recurring problems with their product

A few years ago, I tried to get a JVC boombox fixed under warranty. Three times they fixed it - and in a few days the unit wouldn't turn on. The problem was the same each time. Can you say lemon? Well the warranty ran out and they said I was now out of luck. I ran the issue through their complaint process and pursued remedies all the way up to their North America President's office. I got a reply from the president's office saying to take a hike. Now I have a job where I buy electronics and JVC is not on my approved vendor list. Revenge is sweet! JVC is getting what it deserves - lower market share. I do my best to share my story to any and all consumers and fellow procurement professionals to stop supporting this company!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:03 PM

Liked: 0
well done, It was clearly a manufacturers defect. Thing thought it's lens cap was on all the time. They had the same problem with about twenty other models in the same catagory. They fixed those models at no charge. They had not as of yet included my model on the defective list.[IMG]http://*******/rfX8Ga[/IMG] I don't buy JVC anymore.