HDTV/DLP/settings questions etc. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-15-2007, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watup guys, this is my first post in this forum so please bear with me as I will try to make the questions I have as easy to answer as possible, although you should know I have very limited knowledge of advanced HD technology.

First, let me say that sometime mid-late April I am finally buying my first HDTV. I have done much research thus far and have decided that since I want the best possible picture for my xbox 360 that DLP is the way to go. Also from research I have seen that the Samsung brand is the way to go aswell as far as DLPs go. So on to my questions.

Before my really deep questions let me ask, which model is better, the HL-S5687W or the HL-S5688W? From what I have read there are some minor changes like Over scan turn off and PIP, but I heard something else, something about this calibrating and when that is done there is a noticible difference between the two models? which brings me to my other questions.

Calibrating a HDTV. What is that? How do I do it? and what is the best way to do it?

AVIA or DVE or ISF?? huh??

DNIE. What is that? am I able to turn it off on the 88 model like with the 87 model?

To enter service menu do I have this right. Mute-1-8-2-Power. is that correct?

Finally! with the xbox 360, what is better, the monster VGA cables? or the Monster Component Cables? Also if I am to buy the VGA cables what extra cables need I buy for everything to work properly?

I have been hearing that on the samsung 88 and 87 DLPs that the VGA input does not work with the monster VGA cables for 360. is this so?

I really apologize for all of these questions, but I just want to have a nice HDTV that I wont take home and say.. "I regret this or I regret that" ...ya know?

Thanks in advance.

Extra Note: I called BrandsMart today. They said they did not have in the 87 model, but since they did not they said they would sell me the 88 model which he said was better looking and top of line for 1800$ USD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-15-2007, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

Before my really deep questions let me ask, which model is better, the HL-S5687W or the HL-S5688W? From what I have read there are some minor changes like Over scan turn off and PIP, but I heard something else, something about this calibrating and when that is done there is a noticible difference between the two models? which brings me to my other questions.

I guess you're 6-8' from the screen? If your viewing distance is 10', you should look at the 61" model. If your viewing distance is >12', you should look at the 70".

There is one additional difference. All 88W models allow you to disable interpolated "digital" overscan through the service menu; doing so reduces overscan from ~6% to 1-3% and enables 1:1 pixel mapping, which helps to produce a sharper picture. Until very recently, this was not possible on the 87W models, because the setting would reset every time you turned off the TV. However, 87W models manufactured after November now offer this feature; on these newer units, the setting does save. Every TV (and perhaps the box, I do not know) lists the manufacturing date on the rear.

Quote:
Calibrating a HDTV. What is that? How do I do it? and what is the best way to do it?

AVIA or DVE or ISF?? huh??

You should start with the AVIA: Guide to Home Theater DVD. Get the high-def version once you buy a Blu-ray player or a PS3.

Quote:
Finally! with the xbox 360, what is better, the monster VGA cables? or the Monster Component Cables? Also if I am to buy the VGA cables what extra cables need I buy for everything to work properly?

First, avoid all Monster Cables. Put that money toward your display, stand, or Blu-ray player. You get equal or better quality cables for 1/8 the price from Monoprice.com.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

I guess you're 6-8' from the screen? If your viewing distance is 10', you should look at the 61" model. If your viewing distance is >12', you should look at the 70".

There is one additional difference. All 88W models allow you to disable interpolated "digital" overscan through the service menu; doing so reduces overscan from ~6% to 1-3% and enables 1:1 pixel mapping, which helps to produce a sharper picture. Until very recently, this was not possible on the 87W models, because the setting would reset every time you turned off the TV. However, 87W models manufactured after November now offer this feature; on these newer units, the setting does save. Every TV (and perhaps the box, I do not know) lists the manufacturing date on the rear.

You should start with the AVIA: Guide to Home Theater DVD. Get the high-def version once you buy a Blu-ray player or a PS3.

First, avoid all Monster Cables. Put that money toward your display, stand, or Blu-ray player. You get equal or better quality cables for 1/8 the price from Monoprice.

First off, Thanks.

I measured the distance and its going to be a little over 8ft. So should I go for the 61" model?

Man I have so many things that I'm skeptical about. You have helped me with one issue thus far though man. The models and sizes. You see I was worried because I did not want to spend more than 1900 on the HDTV itself. I was trying to decided between the 56" or the 61" 87 models. Then BAM! here is the 88 models which have a 61" version too, and 200+ dollars more as well, but now that you have clarified that I can rest easy and just look hard for manufactured models since November.

Now using this DVD, can I just play it an do anything needed via my xbox 360 and wireless controller or should I use my DVD player?

OK AVIA. What about ISF and DVE? So calibrating your HDTV is something you do with a DVD?

How much does Blu-Ray cost? Also would it be better to buy a PS3 that has blu-ray or just a blu-ray?

Avoid all monster cables? on teamxbox forums everyone has been testing both the component and VGA cables and say they make a huge difference though. Also at monoprice I do not see anything for 360 there. Must not be searching right or something.

So yeah as long as I get a 87W model manufactured in november or later I can have the sharper picture and save the settings?
post #4 of 5 Old 02-15-2007, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I measured the distance and its going to be a little over 8ft. So should I go for the 61" model?

Did that 8' figure include the depth of the TV? With an 8' viewing distance, 56" is good for a mix of SD and HD. If you expect to use the TV almost exclusively for gaming, DVD, and HDTV, then you could step up to the 61".

I personally would choose the 61", but I don't watch many channels outside of ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, HBO, History, and SciFi, all of which are available in HD now or will be by the end of the year.

Quote:
Avoid all monster cables? on teamxbox forums everyone has been testing both the component and VGA cables and say they make a huge difference though. Also at monoprice I do not see anything for 360 there. Must not be searching right or something.

My apologies, it's a force of habit to recommend against paying excess sums for cables.

I don't own an Xbox360, so I had forgotten that it used a proprietary connection. That limits your options somewhat. If the folks on teamxbox agree that the Monster VGA is the cable to get, then that's probably what you should get.

Quote:
OK AVIA. What about ISF and DVE? So calibrating your HDTV is something you do with a DVD?

Yes. DVE is simply an alternative to AVIA. Most on this forum seem to prefer AVIA. Both are basically step-by-step tutorials, with all appropriate patterns, to calibrate your TV for the best possible picture with DVD.

[High-definition versions of these disks are on the way.]

ISF refers to professional calibration, which typically costs $300 to $500 and requires 3-6 hours of work. That's something you can pursue in the future, but it's not something to worry about until you've had the TV for awhile. Personally, I would not even consider it unless you know the calibrator in/around your area has extensive experience with your TV. Some of the best ISF technicians in the country participate on this forum, but not all technicians are equal in their ability or experience; I would want to know that I was getting my money's worth.

Quote:
Now using this DVD, can I just play it an do anything needed via my xbox 360 and wireless controller or should I use my DVD player?

What DVD player do you have?

Quote:
How much does Blu-Ray cost? Also would it be better to buy a PS3 that has blu-ray or just a blu-ray?

Samsung releases its second-generation Blu-ray player, the BD-P1200, in March/April; it should run about $600-$675 on the Internet. It should provide a better picture on DVDs as well, thanks to 1080p upconversion with a Silicon Optix ReonVX processor, the same solution used in the highly regarded $800+ Denon 2930ci DVD player.

If you were planning to buy a PS3 for gaming, then you could just use that as your Blu-ray player. The only [significant] issue with using the PS3 as a BD player is that it doesn't have an IR port, which means it can't be controlled by a universal remote. The PS3 also won't pass BTB or peak white values, but most expect that to be fixed with a future firmware update. The PS3 does not offer upconversion for DVDs at this time; it may or may not do so with a future update.

Quote:
So yeah as long as I get a 87W model manufactured in november or later I can have the sharper picture and save the settings?

That's my understanding. You should verify in the x78 owners thread.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-16-2007, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Did that 8' figure include the depth of the TV? With an 8' viewing distance, 56" is good for a mix of SD and HD. If you expect to use the TV almost exclusively for gaming, DVD, and HDTV, then you could step up to the 61".

I personally would choose the 61", but I don't watch many channels outside of ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, HBO, History, and SciFi, all of which are available in HD now or will be by the end of the year.

My apologies, it's a force of habit to recommend against paying excess sums for cables.

I don't own an Xbox360, so I had forgotten that it used a proprietary connection. That limits your options somewhat. If the folks on teamxbox agree that the Monster VGA is the cable to get, then that's probably what you should get.

Yes. DVE is simply an alternative to AVIA. Most on this forum seem to prefer AVIA. Both are basically step-by-step tutorials, with all appropriate patterns, to calibrate your TV for the best possible picture with DVD.

[High-definition versions of these disks are on the way.]

ISF refers to professional calibration, which typically costs $300 to $500 and requires 3-6 hours of work. That's something you can pursue in the future, but it's not something to worry about until you've had the TV for awhile. Personally, I would not even consider it unless you know the calibrator in/around your area has extensive experience with your TV. Some of the best ISF technicians in the country participate on this forum, but not all technicians are equal in their ability or experience; I would want to know that I was getting my money's worth.

What DVD player do you have?

Samsung releases its second-generation Blu-ray player, the BD-P1200, in March/April; it should run about $600-$675 on the Internet. It should provide a better picture on DVDs as well, thanks to 1080p upconversion with a Silicon Optix ReonVX processor, the same solution used in the highly regarded $800+ Denon 2930ci DVD player.

If you were planning to buy a PS3 for gaming, then you could just use that as your Blu-ray player. The only [significant] issue with using the PS3 as a BD player is that it doesn't have an IR port, which means it can't be controlled by a universal remote. The PS3 also won't pass BTB or peak white values, but most expect that to be fixed with a future firmware update. The PS3 does not offer upconversion for DVDs at this time; it may or may not do so with a future update.

That's my understanding. You should verify in the x78 owners thread.

Yes the 8ft included the depth,but you should know that I lean in from the couch most of the time so I factored that in...really its like 8-9ft. Now I will use the HDTV for everything, but it will be used 75% of the time for games. Actually more like 85% of the time for games. 360 to be precise.

No problem with the monster advice. I just figure if im going to buy the vga, I might as well buy the best for the extra 20 bucks ya know?

My DVD player is a DVD/VCR combo. I was able to find it. Can't post links yet.

PV-D4735S
Progressive Scan DVD/VCR Combination Deck with Multi-format Playback, Silver

Its really nothing! you gotta understand man. I bought the 360 and once I hooked it up I immediately noticed it did not look so great, and ever since then there is more and more that I am learning.

Wow, so I might actually have a use for the PS3, WOW!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page