The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauser View Post

It appears I got a got a good one! I did the BW and all black test and it seems fine. On the all black screen I noticed a few spots that I'm assuming are light leaking from the bulb. From certain angles on the all black screen it looks kind of like a reflection off the screen but the room was dark so it's coming from inside the tv. I assume this is normal since it's very faint and there is absolutely no signs of it except on an all black screen.

I can't comment on the pq yet as I only watched standard def over S video cables since my Sister's archaic Dish receiver downstairs only has S video since it's only going to her 27" 1980 magnavox. Tomorrow I will hook up my Panasonic S97 DVD player to look at non HD dvds. Whatever, the tv seems to be fine and I'll get to enjoy HD soon enough once we get back to Mexico. I'm so glad I went with the Sony as it's (actually the XBR2 originally) all I wanted except for a few days considering the Samsung 6187 until I got to compare them in person. My Sony 60XS955 was a great tv and still looks great here at my Sister's so I have no doubt the A2020 will be at least that good.

Now I just have to decide upon an extended warranty before leaving town. I'll probably go with Sonystyle although I may check with BB or other place since theirs covers Mexico as well which would save me from a long drive. Sony gave me the # for their EW company and said they might have a policy I can buy down in mexico which could be another option.

Thanks for all your help!

Glad you got a good one! When looking for issues make sure you are standing with your eyes centered with the screen both horizontally and vertically. Standing too high or low, or offsides will make things look less uniform.

As for the warranty issue, I would try to get one that gives you service options in Mexico. Have fun with your new set!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 06:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM407 View Post

I don't think there's a general answer. How good (or bad) the 480p player in question is will have a huge impact on that. But, if we just assumed the A2000 had equivalent deinterlacing, the way you set the DRC Palette would still have a huge impact on clarity/blur/grain/etc. My guess is you could tweak it to make the picture as soft as the 480p output from the player. Or tweak it more moderately if you think it's slightly too edgy. It'll go from really, really blurry to really, really nasty and edge-enhanced looking.

Basically what I'm saying is if you think the A2000 deinterlaces as well, sending 480i gives you options for customization that you don't have with a 480p input. I kind of like things to look good without spending a lot of time messing with them, so I'd find a player that would at least do 480p in a way superior to anything the A2000 can do and forget about it. That's just me though.

Thanks again. Yeah, what I really need is a decent upconverting player. But after a lot (about 5 hours) of trial and error, I figured out the best arrangement for this player with this set. And I owe it all to Gandalf's nose.

To explain: I'd ben futzing with the various DRC and NR settings with the 480i input, and found one that looked great with busy action (the opening of SWE3; the arrival of the Rohirrim in ROTK). I checked it against some test patterns, and found a fair, but with NR on high, acceptable amount of in high-detail patterns (e.g., the upper end of the line bar in the THX optimizer). I'm noticing a little more blur and intermittent smearing of fine details on things like faces, but still think it's OK compared to the 480p signal. And then, as Frodo awakens in Rivendell at the end of ROTK (I was double-checking contrast; the fade and glow elements in that scene really let you know when the whites are too hot), I let the scene play out. Close-up on Gandalf. It looks like his nose is buzzing, crawling, shifting, like sand.

So, I switch back to progressive, set the "detail enhancer" (that I had forgotten about as an option for tweaking in 480p) to medium, set noise reduction to low, and lo and behold: not only a stable wizard's nose and rock-solid high-detail patterns, but an image in every case with all the clarity and depth of the slightly-tweaked 480i but none of the smearing, blur, or noise. So apparently, the player's 480p signal was deemphazising the particular high-frequency details that the TV's detail enhancer emphasizes, and the player, as it turns out, does a better job of deinterlacing than the TV. Go figure. At the end of the day (and literally after a week of intermittent tweaking and testing), I'm now thrilled and stunned by the SDDVD images on this set...until I watch HD network programming, which is often too beautiful for words and makes my DVD collection cry softly in their inferiority.

At any rate, thanks again for all input. I ought to be done tweaking, for now at least.

Come, let us kill the spirit of gravity...
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
post #333 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauser View Post

It appears I got a got a good one! I did the BW and all black test and it seems fine. On the all black screen I noticed a few spots that I'm assuming are light leaking from the bulb. From certain angles on the all black screen it looks kind of like a reflection off the screen but the room was dark so it's coming from inside the tv. I assume this is normal since it's very faint and there is absolutely no signs of it except on an all black screen.

Congrats!! Mine will arrive any minute now...I'm nervous...and excited...I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning...it's embarassing. :P
post #334 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

My 2020 arrived yesterday (purchased from BB). Put it in place and hooked up all of my sources. Since it was on the truck most of the day (outside temps around 40 F here in Chicagoland) I allowed it to room up for a while before plugging it in and turning it on. Got the initial setup screen and began the channel searching function (I have an antenna hooked up plus a D* satellite receiver and dvd player). The message said it could take up to 50 minutes to do the channel searching. Then I waited....and waited...and waited. After about 15 minutes, the screen went blank which I thought may have been normal. WRONG! After an hour I never did get any screen confirmation that the channel serach was completed. In fact, I never got any video display to show at all after this point. I did the factory reset described in the manual about 5 different times over the next few hours trying to get the set to provide a picture. No dice. Yes, I could hear the audio from the sources I had hooked up by scrolling through the input selector but never any picture - just a dull grey glow on the screen.

Looking around the back of the unit (near the connector section) I could see some internal amber light blinking slowly (on-off-on-off) with the set on. I am guessing this is some kind of internal warning light but maybe not. Any users out there see a slowing blinking internal amber light at the rear with their properly functioning unit?

Called BB. They will be sending another one. Should arrive tomorrow. At this point I am SO GLAD that I decided to spend some more bucks to buy this from a local BB instead of the internet. If this would have happened with an internet purchase, I would be left with a huge hassle in getting it either returned or fixed. My advise - by these locally!!

I am really frustrated by this whole scenario. These are expensive devices and they should not exhibit the kinds of issues users have been reporting (albeit mostly for the A2000 series up till now). Sony better learn and tighten up their manufacturing process because they are just throwing money away with situations like this. Hopefully, my Chapter 2 story will be better. I'll let you know.
Mark
post #335 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeblez View Post

In a heart beat! I love mine and have no regrets. These TVs have an incredible picture. I don't know if you are succeptible to rainbows that DLP can produce- I am and it drives me nuts.

Speaking of rainbows. Are these sets susceptible to RBE? I was watching baseball tonight on ESPN HD last night (Thursday Night) and i was seeing RBE on Dusty Bakers sports coat.

I have noticed RBE also on other programs but thought it was my imagination as I was under the impression that SXRD does not suffer from RBE.

I have KDS60A2020 March 2007 build SP3.

This SXRD replaced 2 Sony KDS60A2000's, 1 JVC 61FN97 and 1 Mitsu WD65732. I do see a slight green 5 oclock shadow but it is minimal.
post #336 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by neneloco View Post

Speaking of rainbows. Are these sets susceptible to RBE? I was watching baseball tonight on ESPN HD last night (Thursday Night) and i was seeing RBE on Dusty Bakers sports coat.

I have noticed RBE also on other programs but thought it was my imagination as I was under the impression that SXRD does not suffer from RBE.

I have KDS60A2020 March 2007 build SP3.

This SXRD replaced 2 Sony KDS60A2000's, 1 JVC 61FN97 and 1 Mitsu WD65732. I do see a slight green 5 oclock shadow but it is minimal.

RBE is brought on by the spinning color wheel. There is no RBE on SXRD. If you're seeing rainbows you might make sure its not the source material.
post #337 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

RBE is brought on by the spinning color wheel. There is no RBE on SXRD. If you're seeing rainbows you might make sure its not the source material.

Yes that I know. I saw rainbows on ESPN, just on Dusty Baker and also during the METS HD feed of the games.

Im thinking its source related for the fact that you stated.
post #338 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Yes that I know. I saw rainbows on ESPN, just on Dusty Baker and also during the METS HD feed of the games.

Im thinking its source related for the fact that you stated.

You aren't seeing the true Rainbow Effect like on a DLP, but you may see some strobing rainbow like effects on things like striped clothing at times. Rainbows drive me nuts on DLP.
post #339 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 09:05 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

What you are seeing is a composite video artifact. Once video is converted to composite along the path it is impossible to perfectly isolate the color from the B&W information.
post #340 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

You aren't seeing the true Rainbow Effect like on a DLP, but you may see some strobing rainbow like effects on things like striped clothing at times. Rainbows drive me nuts on DLP.

Yea RBE was a problem on the Mitsubishi WD65732 that I had prior to this. That along with jagged edges and motion blur and set being sooo dayum bright was horrible that it had to go back.
post #341 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

What you are seeing is a composite video artifact. Once video is converted to composite along the path it is impossible to perfectly isolate the color from the B&W information.

Jeff, do you ever or will be coming to New York City?

I need my set calibrated and green free.
post #342 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 10:01 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Jeff, do you ever or will be coming to New York City?

I need my set calibrated and green free.

I travel to that area fairly often. My next trip is in May, but I am fully booked at this point. I should return late this summer or early fall. My tour schedule is on my website at www.accucalhd.com/tours.htm.
post #343 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I travel to that area fairly often. My next trip is in May, but I am fully booked at this point. I should return late this summer or early fall. My tour schedule is on my website at www.accucalhd.com/tours.htm.

Nice! Thanks. Hope to book you on your next tour to the area.
post #344 of 3635 Old 04-13-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

Looking around the back of the unit (near the connector section) I could see some internal amber light blinking slowly (on-off-on-off) with the set on. I am guessing this is some kind of internal warning light but maybe not. Any users out there see a slowing blinking internal amber light at the rear with their properly functioning unit?

Called BB. They will be sending another one. Should arrive tomorrow. At this point I am SO GLAD that I decided to spend some more bucks to buy this from a local BB instead of the internet. If this would have happened with an internet purchase, I would be left with a huge hassle in getting it either returned or fixed. My advise - by these locally!!

I am really frustrated by this whole scenario. These are expensive devices and they should not exhibit the kinds of issues users have been reporting (albeit mostly for the A2000 series up till now). Sony better learn and tighten up their manufacturing process because they are just throwing money away with situations like this. Hopefully, my Chapter 2 story will be better. I'll let you know.
Mark

That weird flashing light is normal, my A2000 works fine and it has it too. I have no idea what it is. I work in a Sears store and once asked one of their techs who'd come out to fix one of our crap Maganavox display sets what the light was and he didn't know.

I still have a 99 model Hitachi Ultravision that has about 18 bright green glowing leds all over it's main chassis whenever the set is on, never figured out what those were for either.

I hope your problem is resolved to your satisfaction.

Steve S.
post #345 of 3635 Old 04-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

First, I want to thank Steve S. for confirming that the flashing amber internal light on the 60A2020 is normal. My replacement set arrived today (swapped out by BB). This one works just fine! WOW, what a picture! I was watching some OTA HD content and was speechless - what a great picture. I now need to scour other threads to find what picture settings people have used to tweek their sets for best picture. If anyone can save me the searcing time and supply a link, it would be very appreciated.

Here's hopeing that this will be the last chapter to my story. So far, no evidence of any picture anomolies (like green blob). I'm awaiting delivery of a Samsung BD-P1200 blu-ray player. Can't wait to see this set with a true 1080p source.
Mark
post #346 of 3635 Old 04-14-2007, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I went and looked at these sets again today and crap fellas they impress me every damn time I see them. BBY had several of them on display and it looked better than everything except the pio elites and the XBRs.
post #347 of 3635 Old 04-15-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

First, I want to thank Steve S. for confirming that the flashing amber internal light on the 60A2020 is normal. My replacement set arrived today (swapped out by BB). This one works just fine! WOW, what a picture! I was watching some OTA HD content and was speechless - what a great picture. I now need to scour other threads to find what picture settings people have used to tweek their sets for best picture. If anyone can save me the searcing time and supply a link, it would be very appreciated.

Here's hopeing that this will be the last chapter to my story. So far, no evidence of any picture anomolies (like green blob). I'm awaiting delivery of a Samsung BD-P1200 blu-ray player. Can't wait to see this set with a true 1080p source.
Mark

You're in for a treat when that BD player arrives. I have a PS3 running 1080p and a Toshiba HDA2 HD DVD player running 1080i into my set. PQ is exactly the same using the same Warner BD/HD DVD titles, so the set is doing the right thing with incoming 1080i.

Both have better pq than any other HD source in that with a well mastered disc (almost all HD DVD and most BD discs released in the last 4 months or so) there is absolutely no compression artifacting. The difference between film based and video based sources is present, however, so don't be upset if you start seeing film grain and such that you don't see on Discovery HD. The BD-P1200 is supposed to be very good at upconverting so expect an improvement on your SD discs also.

Steve S.
post #348 of 3635 Old 04-15-2007, 11:37 AM

I was initially a bit disappointed with my 2020. That was until my HD DVR arrived... I had an HR 20-700 Direct TV installed the other day and my eyes popped! Colors and saturation just blows me away. Easily as nice as any other display I have seen anywhere. I also figured out that the non-HD programs that come through an HD channel are significantly better than the same program on a non HD channel. My original impression was based on a 480i picture. The wide zoom stretched out all the imperfections and the color was terrible. Not so on the HD channels. Perfect picture as well as better audio to the receiver.

I purchased at Brands Mart and bought a 5 year warranty that includes 1 bulb replacement, for $350. I think the warranty was worth it considering that a bulb is a couple hundred alone...
post #349 of 3635 Old 04-15-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I know these sets do well with 1080i and 1080p sources but how do they do with 480p and 720p?
post #350 of 3635 Old 04-15-2007, 01:50 PM

I will be getting a new 55A2020 within a few days from Circuit City. Of course, I will be faced with the "extended warranty" decision.

I've read a few posts indicating the Sony EW is the way to go.

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Does anyone know the differences between the Circuit City EW and the Sony EW?

Does the Sony EW replace the first bulb?

I know Sony's is less expensive, but I want to get something that really protects me and if it talkes me spending a few more dollars I will.

Finally, the Sony site has an EW and a replacement plan. Can anyone elaborate on these and which is the best to buy?

Thanks,
Charles
post #351 of 3635 Old 04-15-2007, 01:51 PM

I will be getting a new 55A2020 within a few days from Circuit City. Of course, I will be faced with the "extended warranty" decision.

I know Sony's is less expensive, but I want to get something that really protects me and if it talkes me spending a few more dollars I will.

Finally, the Sony site has an EW and a replacement plan. Can anyone elaborate on these and which is the best to buy?

Thanks,
Charles
post #352 of 3635 Old 04-15-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwhecker View Post

Thanks,
Charles

Edit: Misread your post. Get an EW of somekind, I dunno what CC charges but I think sony only charges 150 for 5 years but doesn't cover the bulb. Figure two bulbs in 5 years and you're up to a total of 550 bucks.
post #353 of 3635 Old 04-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Charles

It is my understanding that the Sony EW does not cover the bulb (hence it is relatively inexpensive). I'm in the same boat, trying to decide which way to go with an EW for my new 60A2020. There is a separate EW thread on this forum. Search it out and there are some good alternatives listed.
post #354 of 3635 Old 04-15-2007, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Circuit City's EW looks pretty expensive ($260 for just 2 years, and $480 for 4 years.). It does include the bulb replacement, though. Sony's plan is $60 for 2 years and $200 for 4 years. But they do not include the bulb replacement. It looks like it pretty much covers everything else the CC warranty does, though.

Also, there are EW plans from Texas Tapeworks for AVS Forum members and the RepairTech warranty. There are some threads around that give some details on those. I haven't purchased my TV yet, but I am leaning to either the Sony or Texas Tapeworks warranty (which is a Mack warranty.)
post #355 of 3635 Old 04-15-2007, 07:41 PM

I replaced my 61FH97 that had horrible geometry problems with a 60A2020 and it had a tilted screen, so I did the tilt fix and now the left side of the screen is curving down on the top and up on the bottom, really evident while watching 2.40:1 and 2.35:1 movies. The dealer is going to bring me out another one tomorrow. I hope its better.
post #356 of 3635 Old 04-15-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigapower View Post

I replaced my 61FH97 that had horrible geometry problems with a 60A2020 and it had a tilted screen, so I did the tilt fix and now the left side of the screen is curving down on the top and up on the bottom, really evident while watching 2.40:1 and 2.35:1 movies. The dealer is going to bring me out another one tomorrow. I hope its better.

Tulsa! :wavey:

I live north of T town now
post #357 of 3635 Old 04-16-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

Tulsa! :wavey:

I live north of T town now

So do I now, up in O-town.

Is there such thing as an acceptable amount of screen tilt or geometry issues? I'm just wondering if I'm being too picky.
post #358 of 3635 Old 04-16-2007, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigapower View Post

So do I now, up in O-town.

Is there such thing as an acceptable amount of screen tilt or geometry issues? I'm just wondering if I'm being too picky.

Well the acceptable amount to me is zero. My sony FS120 has been a fantastic tv and since I've owned it I've noticed a slight tilt. No ONE else has noticed it except for me. So finally to see if it was my imagination I measured it. Sure enough one side is about 1.5mm higher than the other. On a 32inch screen that doesn't sound like much adn I guess its not no one else has ever noticed, but I notice and it bugs the piss out of me.
post #359 of 3635 Old 04-16-2007, 09:05 AM

Do the 2020 models have discrete on/off and input selection? thanks.

"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"
post #360 of 3635 Old 04-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I picked up my new 55 a2020 on Friday, the picture is amazing. Local retailer was having a 20% off msrp sale, and I was able to get Circuit City to match. I had recently had a Sony 55 Grand Wega iv, and I have to say that the picture is so much more detailed in Hd. Anyone have any good settings for the 2020 yet? Would the tweaks Cnet used on the 2000 apply to this set? (I know they are supposed to be the same set, but the picture appears better on the 2020 then the 2000.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page