The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 122 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 65
So, what's the concensus, A2020 owners, with regard to the COLOR MATRIX setting under the SETUP menu? Should this be on STANDARD?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know with certainty if I can lay this set flat for about an hour travel time?
Recently purchased a new TV and want to give my dad the 55A2020 I have, unfortunately no one I know has a ride with clearance for the 36" height.
My brother in-law has an SUV I could fit the set in if I lay it flat....not sure if that would damage anything.
Thanks.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:57 PM

Liked: 19
Does anybody know the defaults for the RGB Gain and RGB Bias controls in the service menu under both panel 2 and panel 9? I believe the defaults for the gain's in both 2 and 9 were 128 but I cannot for the life of me remember what the bias defaults were. I went in screwing with the service menu about six months ago because nobody ever uses the TV anymore and I didn't care if I screwed it up. However, it is in our dedicated theater room and I would like to attempt proper calibration now that I read more about the quirks of the TV. Also, the TV is just pissing me off, I want to "beat" the TV and get the grayscale [near] correct. I have had the TV since early 2007 but it only has just over 2000 hours on it. I measured the contrast ratio and black level of the TV using Calman and my i1Pro 2 and i1Display pro and the contrast ratio was like 500:1 and the black level was like .05 or something and the black screen looks noticeably blueish. Maybe I'm spoiled by my VT60. The TV can't be that bad. So, I just want to go in and put service menu items back to defaults, or close to them. I believe I only changed items in panel 2 and 9.

Yesterday I spent like eight hours attempting to get the white balance correct; I didn't even realize I had been doing it so long because I was so frustrated. No matter what I would do on one end, be it the highs or lows, the exact opposite would occur on the other. If I turned down red bias for the lows, it would increase it at the high end. Maybe that is normal for this TV. I'm used to my VT60 and it being nice and simple and don't understand the characteristics of the technology used in this set.

Also, is there a document out there that describes the service menu options? I've searched and all I found was an Excel spreadsheet listing all the options but with no description on what the items do.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:44 AM

Liked: 10
I've had my kds 60a2020 for 7 yrs now and really never had an issue. I'm on my 3rd bulb but beyond that no problems until.....
My wife calls me at work 4 days ago and tells me she was watching tv (and had been for about an hour) and the tv randomly turned off. The power led blinked green for a couple minutes then it turned back on like normal. This happened randomly (maybe every 4 hours of viewing if that often) until last night when it happened 2 times within 3 hours.
This morning we watched tv for about an hour then left. I checked the tv when we left and it was off but I think maybe it turned itself off because we got back several hours later and the power led was blinking green continuously.
I've checked the lamp and tried an old lamp (still works but very dim) and get the same thing. As soon as the set is plugged in the green power led blinks 14 times, turns off then starts blinking continuously until holding down the power button.
Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post but I thought a little background might help
Thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_wall98 View Post

I've had my kds 60a2020 for 7 yrs now and really never had an issue. I'm on my 3rd bulb but beyond that no problems until.....
My wife calls me at work 4 days ago and tells me she was watching tv (and had been for about an hour) and the tv randomly turned off. The power led blinked green for a couple minutes then it turned back on like normal. This happened randomly (maybe every 4 hours of viewing if that often) until last night when it happened 2 times within 3 hours.
This morning we watched tv for about an hour then left. I checked the tv when we left and it was off but I think maybe it turned itself off because we got back several hours later and the power led was blinking green continuously.
I've checked the lamp and tried an old lamp (still works but very dim) and get the same thing. As soon as the set is plugged in the green power led blinks 14 times, turns off then starts blinking continuously until holding down the power button.
Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post but I thought a little background might help
Thanks

I have the 50A2020...what mode do you run yours in?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Owner of a Sony KDS-60A2020

Hi,

I'm looking to sell a 60" Sony KDS-60A2020. A two part question to anyone who might be listening out there. How much realistically do you think I should ask pricewise? And where exactly should I go to sell it? My thoughts were Craigslist (although that makes me nervous), or put a flyer up in some of the garbage sheds in my condo complex. Thoughts?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnkool View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to sell a 60" Sony KDS-60A2020. A two part question to anyone who might be listening out there. How much realistically do you think I should ask pricewise? And where exactly should I go to sell it? My thoughts were Craigslist (although that makes me nervous), or put a flyer up in some of the garbage sheds in my condo complex. Thoughts?
I sold mine on Craigslist a few years ago for $250 which included a spare bulb. Today, I think you'd be lucky to get $150. Wouldn't hurt to start with flyers, and if you get no bites, then Craigslist.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

This is how I see it, as I have been pondering selling my 50A2020 to buy a larger, newer set....unless you really, really need that 150 to 200 bucks, you're probably just better off storing the TV somewhere and using it in an extra room; when it's time to replace our SXRD (merely because we want something bigger down the road and possibly 4K, not because there's anything wrong with our set) I'm just gonna move the set to either our bedroom or somewhere else as there's really absolutely nothing wrong with it, and it wouldn't make sense to go through all the "hassles" of trying to unload it to a buyer for a "mere" 200 bucks or so...

Just my two cents, understand.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I currently have a 60A2020 and Im completely happy with it. With plasma going away now, being what I always told myself would be my next TV, would it be worth mothballing the A2020 and getting one? Again the A2020s totally fine so it should do the job for as long as its still working and lets face a bulb replacement is a whole lot cheaper than a new TV, but of all the techs I felt that plasma was the only thing that could better the PQ of the Sony. So should I start looking for a plasma or just wait it out for OLED to come down to reasonable prices...like I said Im really in no hurry. The other worry would be if OLED fails then what...
Old 10-19-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
I currently have a 60A2020 and Im completely happy with it. With plasma going away now, being what I always told myself would be my next TV, would it be worth mothballing the A2020 and getting one? Again the A2020s totally fine so it should do the job for as long as its still working and lets face a bulb replacement is a whole lot cheaper than a new TV, but of all the techs I felt that plasma was the only thing that could better the PQ of the Sony. So should I start looking for a plasma or just wait it out for OLED to come down to reasonable prices...like I said Im really in no hurry. The other worry would be if OLED fails then what...
When you get your new TV and put it side by side with your A2020 it will be very obvious that every current technology beats it by a long shot. While SXRD was state of the art in 2006 and completely blew me away back then, everything has surpassed it now. When Sony replaced my green A2000 with an LCD 4 years ago, even that looked far better - sharper, brighter, more accurate colors, better blacks, better uniformity, more efficient, faster warmup, etc.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post

While I don't necessarily agree with the member who posted after you (above) regarding "better black levels" as coming from his newer LCD (as compared to the ridiculously inky, rich blacks of the SXRD), here are my two cents about it: I had emailed OPPO a question about their planned next generation media players (4K) and then asked them what they think of upgrading in this particular status we're in...they recommended to me to hold off and buy a new 4K display instead of grabbing a current LCD or plasma on the market now (unless my current 50" SXRD was dead, which it isn't) because they're gonna come way down in price as the technology evolves and it won't be that long...

I just HOPE we can afford something much larger than a 50 incher in a 4K (native) set...

Old 10-20-2014, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
When you get your new TV and put it side by side with your A2020 it will be very obvious that every current technology beats it by a long shot. While SXRD was state of the art in 2006 and completely blew me away back then, everything has surpassed it now. When Sony replaced my green A2000 with an LCD 4 years ago, even that looked far better - sharper, brighter, more accurate colors, better blacks, better uniformity, more efficient, faster warmup, etc.
I've seen that too but some of the screens nowadays are almost too good...as in they make everything look like it was shot on video, if that makes any sense. I feel like the SXRD presents a more natural reproduction of the source material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
While I don't necessarily agree with the member who posted after you (above) regarding "better black levels" as coming from his newer LCD (as compared to the ridiculously inky, rich blacks of the SXRD), here are my two cents about it: I had emailed OPPO a question about their planned next generation media players (4K) and then asked them what they think of upgrading in this particular status we're in...they recommended to me to hold off and buy a new 4K display instead of grabbing a current LCD or plasma on the market now (unless my current 50" SXRD was dead, which it isn't) because they're gonna come way down in price as the technology evolves and it won't be that long...

I just HOPE we can afford something much larger than a 50 incher in a 4K (native) set...
Yeah that may take a while....I honestly don't have a ton of interest in 4k right now..but Im sure down the road I may. What I do know is I dont really have any interest in an LCD TV....probably ever. So hopefully they can make OLED financially viable so it can come down to a reasonable price....otherwise it may go away regardless of it being better

Last edited by loki993; 10-20-2014 at 11:05 PM.