The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3635 Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went online today to register my warranty with Sony. Believe or not (I suppose most would believe it), model KDS60A2020 is not a recognized product on their site It gave me KDS60A2000 as an alternative. I just bailed out as I know it is not necessary to register the warranty for it to be effective - all you need is the original reciept. The hand doesn't know what the foot is doing over there. Disconcerting to say the least. My replacment unit continues to perform spectaculary. Hope it stays that way. In the meantime, I will be purchaing a tapeworks (Mack) EW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3635 Old 04-16-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Well much to my surprise Sony said since my A-2000 was bought in September, they will send me a new A-2020 at no extra charge. I didn't even have to argue about it. So I have to say they have treated me well in this matter. Now to all the gods of SXRD, please pray I get a green and pink haze free model. Now I can join the 2020 club.
post #363 of 3635 Old 04-16-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Well much to my suprise Sony said since my A-2000 was bought in September, they will send me a new A-2020 at no extra charge. I didn't even have to argue about it. So I have to say they have treated me well in this matter. Now to all the gods of SXRD, please pray I get a green and pink haze free model. Now I can join the 2020 club.

Congrats Alan. Glad to hear they treated you right. I'll keep my fingers (and toes) crossed for you to get a good one. Do you have a 55 or 60 coming?

Jim
post #364 of 3635 Old 04-16-2007, 03:52 PM

What are you guys setting your SHARPNESS at?

Is setting it all the way off (MIN) actually detracting from the signal or is edge enhancement applied from that point on up to MAX?

I want the signal processed as little as possible...

NHT CLASSIC FOUR's Front & Rear, CLASSIC 3C, Classic 12 Sub, Panasonic TC-P65VT30, DVD-3800BDCI, HD-XA2, SONY TA-P9000ES Preamp, BRYSTON and Marantz Amplifiers...
post #365 of 3635 Old 04-16-2007, 04:22 PM

Well, I made the 16 hour trip back to Mazatlan lastnight and my new 60A2020 survided trip with no customs hassles due to a much prayed for green light. So I just put together the stand (Ikea $69) and am working on hooking everything up and I ran into a few questions:

1. I still don't have a HDMI receiver yet my DVD (Panasonic S97) and Dish HD DVR have HDMI. Should I run HDMI from the DVD and DVR to the TV for picture and audio and then Coaxial out from the tv to the receiver for audio?

2. Will there be any lag in the audio since the video isn't passing through the receiver as well?

3. Is Optical any better than Coaxial? I can't find my Optical cables but I do have 1 coax I can use or I can look for Optical cables down here hopefully.

4. The HDMI cable that came with my Dish receiver is actually a HDMI to DVI along with a DVI to HDMI so it's actually 2 cables but together it becomes HDMI to HDMI. Will I notice any difference in image quality as opposed to a single HDMI cable?

I think that's it for now......

Maybe I can talk UMR into a little vacation trade for a free calibration here in Maz.
post #366 of 3635 Old 04-16-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

Congrats Alan. Glad to hear they treated you right. I'll keep my fingers (and toes) crossed for you to get a good one. Do you have a 55 or 60 coming?

Jim

I'm crossing everything I can. It will be a 60 inch as I had before. Supposed to be here in 7-10 days.
post #367 of 3635 Old 04-16-2007, 10:01 PM

I got my replacement 60A2020 today, no geometry problems finally!! So I opened up the Menu and noticed all these gray boxes around the words, almost some sort of ghosting like pattern. This happens on any piece of the UI when its set to blue, I tried setting it to red and it didn't do this. The picture is fine as far as I can tell so far. The "installer" guy wants to bring out another set on Thursday, but I'm leary because finally with the third TV I'm happy so far. Should I worry about the menus or could this be a sign of bad things to come?
post #368 of 3635 Old 04-17-2007, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigapower View Post

I got my replacement 60A2020 today, no geometry problems finally!! So I opened up the Menu and noticed all these gray boxes around the words, almost some sort of ghosting like pattern. This happens on any piece of the UI when its set to blue, I tried setting it to red and it didn't do this. The picture is fine as far as I can tell so far. The "installer" guy wants to bring out another set on Thursday, but I'm leary because finally with the third TV I'm happy so far. Should I worry about the menus or could this be a sign of bad things to come?

I would worry about the menus. There is no need to accept something subpar. Let him bring out another.
post #369 of 3635 Old 04-17-2007, 09:23 AM

Got my 55A2020, Dish Network HD and upconverting DVD player all set up...couldn't be happier!

I did the test that Alan mentioned (the B&W and no input black test) and everything checked out! The wife and I have been watching some Hi-Def shows over the weekend and it is just amazing. I love this set thus far...thanks again to everyone for the input and here's to hoping Alan gets a great replacement set...he deserves it for all the help he's giving here.

This set even makes my Nintendo Wii look good and it's only 480p.
post #370 of 3635 Old 04-17-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrasse View Post

Got my 55A2020, Dish Network HD and upconverting DVD player all set up...couldn't be happier!

I did the test that Alan mentioned (the B&W and no input black test) and everything checked out! The wife and I have been watching some Hi-Def shows over the weekend and it is just amazing. I love this set thus far...thanks again to everyone for the input and here's to hoping Alan gets a great replacement set...he deserves it for all the help he's giving here.

This set even makes my Nintendo Wii look good and it's only 480p.

Thanks man! Glad you got a good set. I don't anything can beat these for PQ when you have a good one.
post #371 of 3635 Old 04-17-2007, 10:02 AM

Hey everyone. Great forum. Everyone seems so helpful, so I thought I'd throw this question out there.

I just purchased the Sony KDF50E2000 a few weeks ago. I followed everyones advice with settings and connected it to my cable box via HDMI. Everything looks amazing. Unfortunately after noticing some dropped pixels and a power off problem, they have replaced the tv 2x. With this latest replacement, the store offered me to upgrade to the KDS50A2020 model for a few hundred dollars more. Is it worth it? I know its 1080i vs 1080p. But will I notice that much of a difference?

I sit about 8 feet from the tv. Its a very sunny room so we have curtains to help shade. Its currently only hooked up to my cablebox (HDMI) and my SD DVD player via s video.

I need to make a decision soon. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
post #372 of 3635 Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpassion View Post

Hey everyone. Great forum. Everyone seems so helpful, so I thought I'd throw this question out there.

I just purchased the Sony KDF50E2000 a few weeks ago. I followed everyones advice with settings and connected it to my cable box via HDMI. Everything looks amazing. Unfortunately after noticing some dropped pixels and a power off problem, they have replaced the tv 2x. With this latest replacement, the store offered me to upgrade to the KDS50A2020 model for a few hundred dollars more. Is it worth it? I know its 1080i vs 1080p. But will I notice that much of a difference?

I sit about 8 feet from the tv. Its a very sunny room so we have curtains to help shade. Its currently only hooked up to my cablebox (HDMI) and my SD DVD player via s video.

I need to make a decision soon. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

The SXRD A-2020 models certainly have a nicer picture than the 3LCD E2000 series models. Your E2000 series is 720p resolution. The A-2020 is 1080p. (basically you have double the pixels making the picture) The A series therefore has a smoother, and also more detailed picture, especially when viewed at 8 feet. The A-2020 series also does darker scenes, and blacks better. If you watch movies with dark scenes, it's no contest. For sports, and bright scenes the differences are more minor. I would give the A-2020 a try if I was you.
post #373 of 3635 Old 04-17-2007, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigapower View Post

I got my replacement 60A2020 today, no geometry problems finally!! So I opened up the Menu and noticed all these gray boxes around the words, almost some sort of ghosting like pattern.

Sounds like edge enhancment / detail enhancment is set too high. Try tweaking the settings in the user menu, you might be able to save yourself another wait for a service call.

Also, these sets seem to be delivered in "Retina Sear" (vivid) mode. Even just switching to standard or custom may deliver the results you are after.

There are no stupid questions. Stupid answers on the other hand....that's a whole other story...........
post #374 of 3635 Old 04-17-2007, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauser View Post

1. I still don't have a HDMI receiver yet my DVD (Panasonic S97) and Dish HD DVR have HDMI. Should I run HDMI from the DVD and DVR to the TV for picture and audio and then Coaxial out from the tv to the receiver for audio?

The coax out on your set will not pass the audio from the HDMI port, only from the tuner. Run your coax / optical straight to the receiver and your HDMI straight from DVR and DVD to TV.

Quote:

2. Will there be any lag in the audio since the video isn't passing through the receiver as well?

See above.

Quote:

3. Is Optical any better than Coaxial? I can't find my Optical cables but I do have 1 coax I can use or I can look for Optical cables down here hopefully.

In theory, there should be no difference (same spec, different transport medium) but the coax will be more susceptible to interference.

Quote:

4. The HDMI cable that came with my Dish receiver is actually a HDMI to DVI along with a DVI to HDMI so it's actually 2 cables but together it becomes HDMI to HDMI. Will I notice any difference in image quality as opposed to a single HDMI cable?

Shouldn't be a problem as long as both parts are decent quality. I have my sat box hooked up this way, works fine for me.

Have fun with your new toy, the pq is outstanding once you get it tweaked a bit

There are no stupid questions. Stupid answers on the other hand....that's a whole other story...........
post #375 of 3635 Old 04-17-2007, 08:08 PM

Here is my story about the 60A2020 that I will be returning tomorrow. I learned my lesson about dealing with fixed resolution displays such as the 60A2020. It only looks good if you feed it a 1080p signal.

Here is a list of the sources I tested:

Xbox 360 (720p and 1080i component)
Friend's PS3 (720p and 1080p HDMI)
PC DVI out (720, 1080i and 1080p HDMI with adapter)
Over the air antenna HDTV (Internal tuner)
Digital cable box (480i S-video)
DVDO line doubler 480i to 480p (480p component)

First up Xbox360, 720p component, jagged edges from upscaling. 1080i component lacking in detail and clarity from de-interlacing.

Next up PS3, 720p HDMI same as Xbox360. 1080p AHH! the only way to fly, no obvious faults.

Next up PC with DVI out into HDMI with adapter. 720p jagged and blurry. 1080i and 1080p not recognized, the tv simply would not accept them.

Next up over the air HDTV using the TV's internal tuner. Watched Drive and 24 in 720p, not impressed. HDTV was advertised to be like looking out a window, but this was a DVD covered window.

Next up, Digital cable box feeding a DVDO 480i to 480p de-interlacer on component. NOT recognized. Geez Louise.

Last up Digital cable box 480i S-video straight. I was not expecting to be blown away, but I was blown away, by how bad it looked.

My previous TV and the one that I just put back in place is a Mitsubishi 40" CRT computer monitor, which goes upto 1360 x 1024 (does 1080i, 720p and 1024p). You will see these babies on eBay from time to time. This 300 pound beast will display almost anything I throw at it with no scaling or de-interlacing non-sense. I know people will say get an XBOX360 with HDMI and get an HDTV cable box. But, at this point I am just dissapointed that almost everything I tried failed to meet expectations, and the fact that the PC didn't work at 1080p (so that I could avoid scaling) was the main deal breaker.

It's curtains for you SXRD. Sorry for the bad news.
post #376 of 3635 Old 04-17-2007, 10:00 PM

I just got my 55a2020 on Friday... Everything seems to be working pretty well with the exception of my Playstation 2 and Wii. Guitar Hero II looks like complete arse with hatching and jaggies all over the place (setting it in progressive mode doesn't help either). Anyone else have any experience with something like this or are my component video inputs screwey? My Xbox 360 looks alright with some artifacts every now and again (of course it's putting out 1080i). So what are your thoughts?
post #377 of 3635 Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbonkers View Post

Here is my story about the 60A2020 that I will be returning tomorrow. I learned my lesson about dealing with fixed resolution displays such as the 60A2020. It only looks good if you feed it a 1080p signal.

First up Xbox360, 720p component, jagged edges from upscaling. 1080i component lacking in detail and clarity from de-interlacing.

Next up PS3, 720p HDMI same as Xbox360. 1080p AHH! the only way to fly, no obvious faults.

Next up PC with DVI out into HDMI with adapter. 720p jagged and blurry. 1080i and 1080p not recognized, the tv simply would not accept them.

Next up over the air HDTV using the TV's internal tuner. Watched Drive and 24 in 720p, not impressed. HDTV was advertised to be like looking out a window, but this was a DVD covered window.

Next up, Digital cable box feeding a DVDO 480i to 480p de-interlacer on component. NOT recognized. Geez Louise.

Last up Digital cable box 480i S-video straight. I was not expecting to be blown away, but I was blown away, by how bad it looked.

My previous TV and the one that I just put back in place is a Mitsubishi 40" CRT computer monitor, which goes upto 1360 x 1024 (does 1080i, 720p and 1024p). You will see these babies on eBay from time to time. This 300 pound beast will display almost anything I throw at it with no scaling or de-interlacing non-sense. I know people will say get an XBOX360 with HDMI and get an HDTV cable box. But, at this point I am just dissapointed that almost everything I tried failed to meet expectations, and the fact that the PC didn't work at 1080p (so that I could avoid scaling) was the main deal breaker.

Nothing beats a soft CRT for hiding detail as well as artifacts.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #378 of 3635 Old 04-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you do any calibrating of the SXRD?

If you've had half as much fun reading this post as I've had writing it, well then, I've had twice as much fun writing this post as you've had reading it.
post #379 of 3635 Old 04-17-2007, 11:26 PM

I'm curious if anyone else is having lag issues while playing games? I have an old school xbox and decided to plug it in and the picture was fine given what it is but I noticed a lag when playing games. For instance, playing Madden I'd consistently be late to push the button on kickoffs, field goals etc. It's not horrible but it's just enough to throw you off. I'm sure I can retrain the brain to hit buttons a split second before what the screen shows but I thought this was kind of lame.

I noticed the settings menu has a game mode and I tried that but the picture instantly switched from an SXRD to a $300 Magnavox. Everything was so blurry it was a joke.

Any advice? I'm not a huge gamer but I was going to buy a PS3 but if gaming is this bad with that then what's the point? I'm very happy with the tv besides that and can't wait to see HD content on it.
post #380 of 3635 Old 04-18-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

Nothing beats a soft CRT for hiding detail as well as artifacts.

Agreed. Plus factor in the 60 vs 40 inch screen size to magnify issues greatly.
post #381 of 3635 Old 04-18-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you went into this looking for problems. You don't mention if this is out of the box or if you spent a few minutes dialing it in. I don't have a 1080p source as of yet. The best my set sees is 1080i or 720p and it looks beautifull. After playing around a little, digital cable @ 480i can look pretty darn good. Analog 480i can flat out suck. I have a PS2 (until I get my hands on the 3) for games. I don't play a whole lot, but they can vary (just the same as a CRT) from quite good to not so good. I haven't experienced any lag either.

Sorry it didn't work out fer ya! Hopefully that poor A2020 will find a more deserving home and appreciative owner
post #382 of 3635 Old 04-18-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeblez View Post

Sounds like you went into this looking for problems. You don't mention if this is out of the box or if you spent a few minutes dialing it in.

My guess it was straight out of the box.

Sony KDS-50A2000 | OPPO 981HD
post #383 of 3635 Old 04-18-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunder View Post

I just got my 55a2020 on Friday... Everything seems to be working pretty well with the exception of my Playstation 2 and Wii.

Maybe I have bad eyes but my Wii looks great (in progressive mode) on my 55A2020. I even put in some old Gamecube games like Extreme G 3 and thought it all looked nice...are you running your Wii with component out or just composite? I purchased the Nintendo brand component cables and it makes a huge difference. Sorry you are experiencing these problems.
post #384 of 3635 Old 04-18-2007, 09:14 AM

I spent 2 days tweaking every setting that I could get my hands on at all different resolutions. I did get it to produce a better image that the out of the box settings, but it was still off from what I expected. I guess DRC version 2.5 from the XBR is what this set needs.
post #385 of 3635 Old 04-18-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I spent 2 days tweaking every setting that I could get my hands on at all different resolutions. I did get it to produce a better image that the out of the box settings, but it was still off from what I expected. I guess DRC version 2.5 from the XBR is what this set needs.

Reviewers have consistently noted only minor differences in PQ between the A-2000, and XBR2. It is certainly not a night and day difference. I don't think you would be happy with XBR2 either for your uses, and expectations. I think the fact you are used to seeing a much smaller image on a tube type set is the main reason for your issues. Bottom line is if YOU aren't pleased then certainly return it.
It's your money afterall.
post #386 of 3635 Old 04-18-2007, 10:55 AM

First time poster here. Ordered the KDS-50A2020 last week, and took delivery on Tuesday. Got everything setup, but for now just running on SD through digital cable. Cable company coming out tomorrow to upgrade me to HD.

One problem surfaced last night, however, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any insight. The video went out on the tv, but we still had audio. I suspect this has something to do with bulb overheating. After turning power to the unit off and letting it sit for a few minutes (usually I'd wait until I could hear the fan turn off), I could power back on and the picture was back. This happened ~3 times last night, and again this morning, but did not happen at all on Tuesday night or while my wife was home Wednesday during the day.

Anything I can do/check for myself? Or do I need to contact the retailer I purchased from to get me another unit?

Thanks in advance.........
post #387 of 3635 Old 04-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenk15 View Post

First time poster here. Ordered the KDS-50A2020 last week, and took delivery on Tuesday. Got everything setup, but for now just running on SD through digital cable. Cable company coming out tomorrow to upgrade me to HD.

One problem surfaced last night, however, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any insight. The video went out on the tv, but we still had audio. I suspect this has something to do with bulb overheating. After turning power to the unit off and letting it sit for a few minutes (usually I'd wait until I could hear the fan turn off), I could power back on and the picture was back. This happened ~3 times last night, and again this morning, but did not happen at all on Tuesday night or while my wife was home Wednesday during the day.

Anything I can do/check for myself? Or do I need to contact the retailer I purchased from to get me another unit?

My brand new 60A2020 (last week) worked for about 20 minutes and then all video was gone after that. Audio worked fine - just no picture. Never was able to get any video after that no matter what I tried. BB swapped it out for a new unit which has been working flawlessly since. If I were you, I'd worry. Hope you bought it locally and can have it swapped for another one. Best of luck!
post #388 of 3635 Old 04-18-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

My brand new 60A2020 (last week) worked for about 20 minutes and then all video was gone after that. Audio worked fine - just no picture. Never was able to get any video after that no matter what I tried. BB swapped it out for a new unit which has been working flawlessly since. If I were you, I'd worry. Hope you bought it locally and can have it swapped for another one. Best of luck!

Yes, I bought it locally and bought an extended warranty as well. So I'm not worried about being able to get it fixed, just wanting to know if that's the next logical step. Thanks for chiming in.
post #389 of 3635 Old 04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenk15 View Post

One other thing you can do is look in the vents where the fan blows out air on the right rear of the tv as you face the screen. If you see light glowing there the bulb has not shut down. If you don't see a glow the bulb is shutting off for some reason. Could be a bad sensor for temperature, a loose bulb, or a ballast problem. I would return it for a new one in any event. Who wants to deal with service calls on a brand new set.
post #390 of 3635 Old 04-18-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrasse View Post

Maybe I have bad eyes but my Wii looks great (in progressive mode) on my 55A2020. I even put in some old Gamecube games like Extreme G 3 and thought it all looked nice...are you running your Wii with component out or just composite? I purchased the Nintendo brand component cables and it makes a huge difference. Sorry you are experiencing these problems.

It's component video and on progressive scan. I'm not sure exactly what is going on but the only connection I can make is that they are the only devices I have that aren't running on the TV's native resolution? Perhaps the scaler isn't functioning properly?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page