The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3642 Old 04-30-2007, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Karlinski View Post

Well, I am now officially an owner of the KDS-60A2020. I also watched two episodes of Perry Mason, and the black and white picture was sharp and looked better than anything I have ever owned. I do recommend this set highly.

I assume you mean the Perry Mason episodes are DVD versions. What is your impression of television programs in SD on your new set? I know it's not HD quality, of course, but is the picture in SD tolerable with the A2020?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3642 Old 04-30-2007, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFoley View Post

I assume you mean the Perry Mason episodes are DVD versions. What is your impression of television programs in SD on your new set? I know it's not HD quality, of course, but is the picture in SD tolerable with the A2020?

Yes, I did mean Perry Mason on DVD. I haven't watched much SD television yet, but what I have seen looks good. I am very happy with my exchange so far.
post #453 of 3642 Old 04-30-2007, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am about to pull the trigger on this set as a replacement to a Mitsu 62628. The Mitsu has terrible geometry issues when watching anamorphic widescreen movies (like gigapower mentioned on Page 12)

I currently have the Sony 70" XBR as a loaner while Mitsu tried to figure out the geometry issues and I will have to give it back. Tweeter (Showcase) has been outstanding in helping me resolve this issue, and I would recommend ANYONE do business with them.

Anyway, There is a problem with the 70" XBR though that a completely black image does not display correctly on the bottom left hand corner of the screen. I am not sure how it displays the image, but it almost appears like there is a burn in problem. The picture looks great on all colors except for black. I would take a picture of it, but since this is a loaner TV, I didn't really care that much. I didn't bother AVIA calibrating it either.

How much are replacement bulbs for the 60" 2020 model? I know the new TV's come with an extra one, but I am curious about buying others. What are the average hours that these bulbs should last? The lamp on the Mitsu 62628 didn't even last 4000 hours, which I thought was short.

Thanks,
post #454 of 3642 Old 04-30-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Karlinski View Post

Well, I am now officially an owner of the KDS-60A2020. My replacement for the KDS-R60XBR1 arrived last Thursday, and I spent the weekend testing it. I am very happy with the set. I have not had any yellow stain or green blob. The set does not turn on to a solid green screen either.

The picture looks great. I am now able to set my Oppo to 1080p and Night At The Museum looked gorgeous upconverted. I also watched two episodes of Perry Mason, and the black and white picture was sharp and looked better than anything I have ever owned. I do recommend this set highly.

So how would you compare these two sets? As far as picture quality can you notice any difference? Very interested in your impression.
Thanks!
post #455 of 3642 Old 04-30-2007, 10:47 PM

most likely pulling the trigger on one of these in the next couple weeks but have a few issues left to ponder over.

Firstly I am not sure which size to get just yet. For the time being it will be in a bedroom with about a 10 foot viewing distance, maybe a little less or little more, unsure. So I am not sure if I should get the 50, 55, or 60". I heard the larger the screen size the worse SD looks on a tv, is this true? If so I plan to watch a lot of SD as well as HD so this could be an issue, I also will be watching mostly standard DVD's at first(upscaled of course but still).

Second, I am unsure of what type of programming to get. HD cable, SAT, ect...
I currently have comcast in my home, just basic programming and I find some of the SD channels to be fairly crappy looking...could be the source but unsure for now. So what seems to be the better service as far as PQ and programming is concerned?

Last but not least I need a stand me thinks. I have no idea what to look for in a stand or what to pay, anyone have any idea's?

Thanks for any help in advance! My first priority is getting the size right I guess.
post #456 of 3642 Old 05-01-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyf View Post

So how would you compare these two sets? As far as picture quality can you notice any difference? Very interested in your impression.
Thanks!

I think the picture quality is better on the A2020. Watching black and white programs, I especially notice that they seem sharper on the A2020. My Oppo 981HD is now able to be set to 1080p instead of 1080i and this seems to have been enough to make my DVD's look better. My best friend owns an XBR1 which has had no problems so far, and he shares my opinion that the A2020 has better picture quality. He also uses an Oppo 981HD, so his viewing experience is based on an identical setup except for the set.
post #457 of 3642 Old 05-01-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsexy View Post

most likely pulling the trigger on one of these in the next couple weeks but have a few issues left to ponder over.

Firstly I am not sure which size to get just yet. For the time being it will be in a bedroom with about a 10 foot viewing distance, maybe a little less or little more, unsure. So I am not sure if I should get the 50, 55, or 60". I heard the larger the screen size the worse SD looks on a tv, is this true? If so I plan to watch a lot of SD as well as HD so this could be an issue, I also will be watching mostly standard DVD's at first(upscaled of course but still).

I currently have comcast in my home, just basic programming and I find some of the SD channels to be fairly crappy looking...could be the source but unsure for now. So what seems to be the better service as far as PQ and programming is concerned?

Last but not least I need a stand me thinks. I have no idea what to look for in a stand or what to pay, anyone have any idea's?

Thanks for any help in advance! My first priority is getting the size right I guess.

Get the 60 , im at a lil over 7 feet and i love this set , sd would definitley look better at longer distance , HD is awsome . get the 60 you wont be dissapointed and theyll be no regrets latter on wishing you had gotten the bigger set
post #458 of 3642 Old 05-01-2007, 09:12 AM

How does the SU-RS11X (the Sony stand that's for the 55A2000) stand look with the all black 55A2020? I didn't see a new all black stand on the Sony website.
post #459 of 3642 Old 05-01-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsexy View Post

You will likely hear lots of different opinions on this. But let me point out a few facts:
1) Your basic cable will deliver the local HD stations direct to your TV. It has a QAM tuner, which is needed for HD. Cable is required to deliver those local OTA HD stations that they do carry to customers who have the most basic cable service. If you want HD programming beyond that, you will likely have to subscribe to more expensive services.
2) Picture Quality of the digital signal can vary from cable system to cable system. However, it is well known that ALL DirecTV HD channels use "HDLite" - so cable will be better than that.
3) DishNetwork does use HDLite on some channels (not all) and currently has more HD channels than anyone. While DirecTV is promising "capability" for more HD channels than anyone - they are not guaranteeing anything. Who has how much HD will be changing a lot in the future.
4) Cable usually has no long-term obligations while both dish companies do. You can upgrade your cable services and drop back (or even switch to dish or even FiOS) at will.

Dave Hancock
post #460 of 3642 Old 05-01-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I finally got my 60 inch A-2020 delivered today to replace my A-2000 lemon set. This one looks awesome so far! Good color uniformity, and suprisingly a much sharper, and more detailed picture than my A-2000 ever had. I had Desperate Housewives on DVR from Sunday. It always looked soft on the A-2000. On the 2020 it looks more like HD should look. I wonder if Sony tweaked something on the 2020 to improve fine detail, or perhaps it's just a set to set variation? Shadow detail, and blacks look good as well, at least in a somewhat bright room. If the blacks look uniform, and close to black in a dark room, this set rocks. Stay tuned for an update.
post #461 of 3642 Old 05-01-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

I finally got my 60 inch A-2020 delivered today to replace my A-2000 lemon set. This one looks awesome so far! Good color uniformity, and suprisingly a much sharper, and more detailed picture than my A-2000 ever had. I had Desperate Housewives on DVR from Sunday. It always looked soft on the A-2000. On the 2020 it looks more like HD should look. I wonder if Sony tweaked something on the 2020 to improve fine detail, or perhaps it's just a set to set variation? Shadow detail, and blacks look good as well, at least in a somewhat bright room. If the blacks look uniform, and close to black in a dark room, this set rocks. Stay tuned for an update.

I also think that my new A2020 has a better picture than my old XBR1. It seems sharper and black and white films look much better. I think Sony did tweak something.
post #462 of 3642 Old 05-01-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Good to hear your on the bandwagon now! Welcome aboard.
post #463 of 3642 Old 05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

My 60a2020 from Circuit City came in today, 7:56am, so luckily my roommate had not left for work and woke me up. They were slightly early since I had my alarm set to go off 4 minutes later.

The set looks fantastic so far. Good color, deep blacks, bright, hardly any silk screen effect like compared to the 65hm167 Toshiba they took away. And thank god no rainbow. But I will miss the extra 5 inches on the Toshiba, some how 65inches just makes an bigger impact than expected over 60inches.

I've tested a few Blu-ray and HD-DVDs and clarity was up over my older 55inch 55xs955 768p Sony. Of course the blacks were night and day difference.

I can't wait though to see how well it does at night in total darkness. (not that I would watch it like that normally, I'd want some ambient light.)
post #464 of 3642 Old 05-01-2007, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Glad to hear you got a good one..
post #465 of 3642 Old 05-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Congratulations Alan. Great to hear that the final outcome was positive after all the hoops that you had to go through to get there
post #466 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post

Congratulations Alan. Great to hear that the final outcome was positive after all the hoops that you had to go through to get there

Thanks guys..it appears to be a very good one. Checked it out in a dark room last night, and blacks were dark, and free from colored tints across the screen. It is amazing how much better the picture is on this than on my A-2000. I think a lot of the credit goes to having solid blacks which adds a lot of depth to the picture. Unless the entire screen is black, in which case there is a VERY slight glow, blacks look BLACK on the new set. Only defect I see is the picture is slightly shifted off center vertically. Noticeable when a movie has black bars top and bottom. Not a big deal but I wonder if it's adjustable in the service menu? If not I can certainly live with it. This set has a fabulous picture.
post #467 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 08:04 AM

I'm pretty sure there is a vertical and horizontal adjustment in the regular menu. My set was off to the left slightly and I was able to shift it this way.
post #468 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks guys..it appears to be a very good one. Checked it out in a dark room last night, and blacks were dark, and free from colored tints across the screen. It is amazing how much better the picture is on this than on my A-2000. I think a lot of the credit goes to having solid blacks which adds a lot of depth to the picture. Unless the entire screen is black, in which case there is a VERY slight glow, blacks look BLACK on the new set. Only defect I see is the picture is slightly shifted off center vertically. Noticeable when a movie has black bars top and bottom. Not a big deal but I wonder if it's adjustable in the service menu? If not I can certainly live with it. This set has a fabulous picture.

Alan, Check post #6444 in the A2000 owners thread.. it will tell you how to do it from the service menu... It's for the XBR1..but works with the A2000 ( I used it ) and bet it works for the A2020 as well....
post #469 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 08:51 AM

I just pulled the trigger on a 60a2020. My decision was between a Samsung 6187s and this set. Upon hearing the issues with a broken service menu on the samsung, I decided to pick this one up. I wanted to get one of the XBR3 sets, but I can't wait until October for that. Here's hoping I get a set with no issues! I decided to pay a couple hundred more to buy locally, so if there are problems I won't have to deal with a shady online company.

I decided not to get an extended warranty. I hope I don't end up regretting that. Never used it on my Toshiba 57HX83. Fingers crossed that the Sony will be just as reliable.

Can anyone recommend a knowledgable ISF in the Phoenix, AZ area?
post #470 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyhf View Post

I'm pretty sure there is a vertical and horizontal adjustment in the regular menu. My set was off to the left slightly and I was able to shift it this way.

Thanks, but for some reason the vertical adjustment is greyed out on the menu, while the horizontal one is useable. I guess it has to be done in the service menu.
post #471 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Horse View Post

I just pulled the trigger on a 60a2020. My decision was between a Samsung 6187s and this set. Upon hearing the issues with a broken service menu on the samsung, I decided to pick this one up. I wanted to get one of the XBR3 sets, but I can't wait until October for that. Here's hoping I get a set with no issues! I decided to pay a couple hundred more to buy locally, so if there are problems I won't have to deal with a shady online company.

I decided not to get an extended warranty. I hope I don't end up regretting that. Never used it on my Toshiba 57HX83. Fingers crossed that the Sony will be just as reliable.

If you find one let me know. I am in the Phoenix area and I am having this TV delivered today and they are taking the 70" XBR away from me.

Can't you buy an extended warranty from Sony?
post #472 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead.Horse View Post

I suggest you re-think skipping a warranty on your new set. The track record on the first generation SXRD has been pretty poor so far, and we have no idea if the newer models will hold up over time. If your optical block dies after one year and before two, you have to pay the labor charge, which is probably at least $250.00. After 2 years the repair is well over a grand. Many other things can go wrong as well. They are all expensive to repair. The Sony 5 year warranty for these is under $300.00. It excludes the bulb but covers everything else including power surge damage. I am not usually a fan of extended warranties, but in this case I think it's a good idea.
post #473 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I suggest you re-think skipping a warranty on your new set. The track record on the first generation SXRD has been pretty poor so far, and we have no idea if the newer models will hold up over time. If your optical block dies after one year and before two, you have to pay the labor charge, which is probably at least $250.00. After 2 years the repair is well over a grand. Many other things can go wrong as well. They are all expensive to repair. The Sony 5 year warranty for these is under $300.00. It excludes the bulb but covers everything else including power surge damage. I am not usually a fan of extended warranties, but in this case I think it's a good idea.

Can you get these warranties directly from Sony? If so, do you have the info on who to talk to? I want to get one for mine. Tweeter's 4 year warranty is over $600 for some ungodly reason.
post #474 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings View Post

Can you get these warranties directly from Sony? If so, do you have the info on who to talk to? I want to get one for mine. Tweeter's 4 year warranty is over $600 for some ungodly reason.

Yes..go to Sonystyle.com and you can find warranty plans there. You then have to call them with your serial # and date of purchase to buy a warranty. I think it's a better deal than most, since the bulbs seem to be lasting very well on Sony sets, and aren't that much a concern.
post #475 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:

This makes me wish I had gone with the 60A2020 sale at Fry's. They have a 5 year for $318 and that INCLUDES the bulb. I pricematched the sale price at another store because I hate Fry's with a passion. The reason I decided against a warranty with that store is because the prices were quite a bit higher.

I might rethink purchasing a Sony warranty.
post #476 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like I might need to keep Live Color set to low or off. I tried Happy feet and it was adding a neon green to the yellow on their chests in some scenes. I swear I had Live Color on the 55xs955 on medium and never noticed this.

post #477 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 01:31 PM

I bought the Tweeter warranty on my 50 XBR1 and it included 1 bulb replacement. I definately will get another warranty from Sony with my replacement set. Can anyone tell me how the replacement process went with Sony? Did you get a credit of a dollar certain amount or a replacement with the same set and you pay the extra if you want a larger screen? Also, did anyone get a refund on their unused warranty period with a 3rd party vendor?

I'd appreciate any insights
post #478 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunClicker View Post

I bought the Tweeter warranty on my 50 XBR1 and it included 1 bulb replacement. I definately will get another warranty from Sony with my replacement set. Can anyone tell me how the replacement process went with Sony? Did you get a credit of a dollar certain amount or a replacement with the same set and you pay the extra if you want a larger screen? Also, did anyone get a refund on their unused warranty period with a 3rd party vendor?

I'd appreciate any insights

Sony generally credits the amount your paid for your original set (less shipping and tax), and applies that against the price on Sonystyle.com for the set you want to get as a replacement. They will not refund any money though if the new set costs less than your old one. I had a Sony extended warranty so they just moved it over to my new set.
post #479 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Sony generally credits the amount your paid for your original set (less shipping and tax), and applies that against the price on Sonystyle.com for the set you want to get as a replacement. They will not refund any money though if the new set costs less than your old one. I had a Sony extended warranty so they just moved it over to my new set.

Thanks for the response. So, I can either get a larger set or maybe apply the differenct for a PS3??? (fingers crossed)
post #480 of 3642 Old 05-02-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
congrats Alan, glad sony took care of you

I've also noticed the pq on the 2020's appears to be a bit sharper but I've only done in store comparisons so thats not exactly fair. I talked to a sony tech a few weeks ago via their online chat and he mentioned they did have new firmware in the A2020s.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page