The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3635 Old 05-31-2007, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurbeall View Post

I called the Sams warranty number, and it definitely does NOT cover the lamp. Its cheaper in cost than the Sony warranty, but I have no idea whether it is any better.

I've got some questions for those who have purchased the 60" A2020 w/ Stand from Sams club. Did Sams offer delivery or did you pick it up yourself ? I was wondering what, if any, insurance one might have if they damaged the set while moving it from Sams to their house. I would have bought it already from Sams, but am leaning towards HHGregg, or BB now since they offer delivery. Those places offer similar pricing but w/o a stand. Sams has a better return policy though.

Thanks in advance!

Art
15 year old 32" Panasonic CRT
Pioneer A/V Receiver
a bunch of old audio equipment too...

Sam's does not deliver, I picked it up. I rented a U-haul trailer for $19 since it wouldn't fit height-wise into my Sequoia. It really wasn't difficult to move. Even though the box is gigantic, it only weighs like 100 lbs and has two hand holds in each end of the box. So two people can handle it pretty easily.

Like you I debated between HHGregg, BB, and Sam's. The provided stand is not a long term solution per my wife so I wasn't sure if it was worth the hassle to go and get it myself. Ultimately I'm glad I did it through Sam's though because I'm fairly impressed with the stand even if it won't be used for more than a few months. It is the best designed and quality piece of assemble-yourself furniture I've ever had. The front lip of the stand goes over the front lip of the tv to hold it in place and there's a buckle on the back side that clips into the tv.

HHGregg had agreed to price match plus 10% of the difference with Sam's but w/o a stand. BB said they would price match w/o a stand but only if it was in stock and Sam's website showed it as out of stock even though they had 8 of them.

I also looked at the HHGregg warranty and I interpreted it like I did the Sam's warranty, i.e., no lamp replacement. The sales guy claimed that it had no limit on the number of lamp replacements though. Again, I could be wrong but if not he was either lying for misinformed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3635 Old 05-31-2007, 07:52 AM

Thanks SonicTide, sounds like you just saved me a bunch of time. The most important consideration for me now is the return policy, so Sams is the winner on that point.

Art
post #723 of 3635 Old 05-31-2007, 01:41 PM

You might have already seen this, but I just found it today. Update 1.80 is out for the PS3. Amongst other things this is the update that contains upscaling for DVD.

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates
post #724 of 3635 Old 05-31-2007, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know the height of the pedestal and the speakers on the 50A2020? In other words, the measurement from the bottom of the screen to the base of the pedestal. I've estimated it at 8.5 inches after reading product specs and screen measurements, but I'd like to know if I'm even close.
post #725 of 3635 Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 PM

Andrew,
7 and 3/16 inches.

nw
post #726 of 3635 Old 05-31-2007, 08:11 PM

About Sam's return policy: I called several Sam's in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and they gave me different answers. Two of them said that there was no time limit as long as I had the receipt. One said 30 days, one said 60 days, one said 90 days, one said 6 months: all of these were stated after consulting with the store manager, and they were adamant about these policies even though their posted policy made no exceptions for TVs. One online rep said that it was 30 days even after I told her what the online policy stated (she even said that computers had a 15 day return policy after I told her it was 6 months). When I sent an email to online customer service, they called one of the Fort Worth stores, and they replied back that that particular manager stipulated a 90 day return policy with one year parts and labor (what the heck does THAT mean?). I replied with the question of whether or not I could count on their stated policy, but they never answered.

Obviously, there is much confusion as well as a lot of leeway with individual store managers. I don't relish the thought of driving from store to store with a big TV to return and having to battle with stubborn or clueless employees and managers.

At least call your local Sam's and find out what they say. Even then, the next rep could tell you something different. I suppose that as long as they have their return policy posted, you'd win the battle, but it's something to think about, and it's anxiety provoking.
post #727 of 3635 Old 06-02-2007, 05:17 AM

I have had my 60" A2020 for about three weeks now. I have a couple of annoyances that I would like to share. I have the set hooked up to Comcast basic cable for QAM channels and the sound is connected to my receiver via optical cable for Dolby Digital audio. In this setup, the variable volume control on the set is defeated. That means I have to change the volume using the receiver's remote. I could not program the Sony TV remote to change the volume on my Onkyo receiver (this would have been so easy for sony to do).

I would be getting Comcast DVR soon so the point maybe moot. Or I can program my Onkyo remote to control the TV (its a learning remote) but the remote kinda sucks. It is a minor annoyance.

The big one is the Silk Screen Effect I see in this set (or I think that is what it is). Whenever I see solid colors, a blue sky or a solid white background, I see terrible "shimmering pixels". These colors are usually soothing full colors on a plasma or an LCD set. If it were in Standard Def I would be ok with it, but it happens on HD sources. I am seriously considering returning the set because of this. However, my alternatives are very limited (to none) so I may not have a choice but to keep the set.
post #728 of 3635 Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloguy View Post

I have had my 60" A2020 for about three weeks now. I have a couple of annoyances that I would like to share. I have the set hooked up to Comcast basic cable for QAM channels and the sound is connected to my receiver via optical cable for Dolby Digital audio. In this setup, the variable volume control on the set is defeated. That means I have to change the volume using the receiver's remote. I could not program the Sony TV remote to change the volume on my Onkyo receiver (this would have been so easy for sony to do).

I would be getting Comcast DVR soon so the point maybe moot. Or I can program my Onkyo remote to control the TV (its a learning remote) but the remote kinda sucks. It is a minor annoyance.

The big one is the Silk Screen Effect I see in this set (or I think that is what it is). Whenever I see solid colors, a blue sky or a solid white background, I see terrible "shimmering pixels". These colors are usually soothing full colors on a plasma or an LCD set. If it were in Standard Def I would be ok with it, but it happens on HD sources. I am seriously considering returning the set because of this. However, my alternatives are very limited (to none) so I may not have a choice but to keep the set.

You are seeing Silk Screen Effect. It is on about every RPTV made today. It is the texture of the screen used to boost the brightness of the picture that you are seeing. If the screen was clear the picture would just project right through it. Try cutting the brightness down to a lower level via the iris adjustments, and use power saver mode to reduce brightness as well. The brighter the pciture the more obvious SSE will be. To some extent though you just have to live with it, or move on to another technology. Of course plasmas have a lot screen glare to deal with, so you trade one issue for another.
post #729 of 3635 Old 06-03-2007, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How are the A2020's for playing video games? Is the delay gone that seemed to plague the a2000?
post #730 of 3635 Old 06-03-2007, 01:58 PM

This is my first post here. Am looking at the 55" and 60" SXRDs at Sams and Costco. We have had a 50" 3LCD for 19 months and always thought we could have gone bigger. How far away from the screen are you guys with 60" sets sitting? We sit 8.5 feet away from our 50". Do we go 55 or 60?
post #731 of 3635 Old 06-03-2007, 02:58 PM

I would go with 60". A lot of people sit 9 feet from a Samsung 71", and they love it. I sit 8 feet from my 65" CRT Mits HDTV, and it looks great.
post #732 of 3635 Old 06-03-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post

I would go with 60". A lot of people sit 9 feet from a Samsung 71", and they love it. I sit 8 feet from my 65" CRT Mits HDTV, and it looks great.

To keep the wife happy (and me too) I'll be bringing home a 60" A2020 from Sam's or Costco tomorrow! Thanks for the reply.
post #733 of 3635 Old 06-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb2599 View Post

This is my first post here. Am looking at the 55" and 60" SXRDs at Sams and Costco. We have had a 50" 3LCD for 19 months and always thought we could have gone bigger. How far away from the screen are you guys with 60" sets sitting? We sit 8.5 feet away from our 50". Do we go 55 or 60?

Go for the 60". I have the 55" A2000 and sit about 8 feet away from it. If I had it to do over again I would have chosen the 60".
post #734 of 3635 Old 06-04-2007, 05:09 AM

I got my 60" all set up with a new stand yesterday. Local circuit city had an open box tech craft:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Custo...Review.do#tabs

I like how it works in my setup. I had to open the back pack panel (and leave it open) and remove the door (temporarily) to get my HT receiver setup. That sucked. Also it is 21" high as opposed to 18" for the Sony stand. But otherwise it looks really really good.

I sit about 13' from the 60" TV and it looks small. So I will have to get a glider (or chair) setup at 7-10' for watching movies. I watched Flag of our Fathers last night and the screen looked a tad small. I was hoping for an immersive theater like experience with this TV. But that was not possible at this distance.
post #735 of 3635 Old 06-04-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

How are the A2020's for playing video games? Is the delay gone that seemed to plague the a2000?

I'd like to hear some input on that as well. I'm seriously considering getting one of these with the prices falling through the floor in anticipation of the new models. I love the picture quality I've seen from these, but I play alot of video games, and if this set is going to cause problems, It may not fit my needs. Which, is sad, because I was really looking forward to upgrading from my 37" flat panel all the way up to 60" of 1080P goodness.
post #736 of 3635 Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post

Go for the 60". I have the 55" A2000 and sit about 8 feet away from it. If I had it to do over again I would have chosen the 60".

Good advice..these tv's shrink really fast once you get used to looking at them. My 60 inch looks 'small' at 12 feet distance. At first it looked HUGE...but as time passes it looks smaller and smaller. Buy the biggest set you think you can stand and you won't regret it.
post #737 of 3635 Old 06-04-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Stunning. I've been playing my XBox Elite (HDMI) and I think it's incredible. No delay at all. I've played Ghost Recon 2 and I'm now playing Rainbox Six Vegas. The detail you see on the characters, maps, weapons are jaw dropping. You will not be disappointed.
post #738 of 3635 Old 06-04-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:

I'm running the 360 premium with component in (1080i). Been mainly playing shadowrun and guitar hero II. Guitar hero II is pretty sensitive to lag (though not as much as some fighting games) but there's 0 lag with it (it has an option to calibrate for hdtv lag..it's always at 0 when I do it)

Haven't tried anything else with it, so I'm not sure how 480i would work on it.
post #739 of 3635 Old 06-04-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleblaze View Post

I'm running the 360 premium with component in (1080i). Been mainly playing shadowrun and guitar hero II. Guitar hero II is pretty sensitive to lag (though not as much as some fighting games) but there's 0 lag with it (it has an option to calibrate for hdtv lag..it's always at 0 when I do it)

Haven't tried anything else with it, so I'm not sure how 480i would work on it.

I've got a GameCube playing via regular RCA inputs and it looks a little grainy on my 55"... especially if you widezoom it. There is no noticable lag, though. Even on F-Zero.
post #740 of 3635 Old 06-04-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

i don't recall any significant complaints about any "delays" when playing games on the a2000. what are you basing this on?

neflixis our nemesis
post #741 of 3635 Old 06-04-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Not sure what you are basing your comments regarding lag on the A2000 on? I have an A2000 and a PS3 and have 0 lag problems. Nor did any of the proffesional reviewers who's articles I read. The only thing I ever heard said was to NOT use the game mode.
post #742 of 3635 Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

i don't recall any significant complaints about any "delays" when playing games on the a2000. what are you basing this on?

I've read a couple posts on the forum about people having issues with lag on the SXRD. Not saying everyone has the issue just searching for feedback
post #743 of 3635 Old 06-04-2007, 10:49 PM

quick question , anyone know a company that will let you get a warranty for your tv past the regular 30 day window ( sony has a 60 day ) , ive had a 60 a2020 since the end of march , kept saying I was gonna get a warranty , but instead kept buying stuff to compliment the tv ( xbox360 , htpc , etc. ) . Any info would be greatly apreciated , thanks in advance , carlos

Oh by the way this tv so far is one of my most favorite purchases ever , if your on the border between getting the 60 or something smaller , im at about 7ft viewing distance and im glad i went with the 60 , no regrets here
post #744 of 3635 Old 06-05-2007, 11:17 AM

Just got it a week ago and love it. Now, just waiting for more HD channels to become available.

Does anyone know how to tweak it? Don't know what the best settings are for this TV. I have it the way I like it, but if there is a better way to calibrate, I would love to know.
post #745 of 3635 Old 06-05-2007, 11:22 AM

Which sams did you get the 60A2020 at in Dallas? I have only found the 55A2000. And how much? This is a beautiful set!!
post #746 of 3635 Old 06-05-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Good advice..these tv's shrink really fast once you get used to looking at them. My 60 inch looks 'small' at 12 feet distance. At first it looked HUGE...but as time passes it looks smaller and smaller. Buy the biggest set you think you can stand and you won't regret it.

OK, I set up my new 60" last night. we sit about 9 feet away. Compared to the 50" set I just replaced, this is huge, but viewing a movie last night was great. No problem with the size. It was much more like a movie theater experience. Now I need to get the settings right. I used the CNET settings and it was not too bad, but I know it can be much better.
post #747 of 3635 Old 06-05-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb2599 View Post

OK, I set up my new 60" last night. we sit about 9 feet away. Compared to the 50" set I just replaced, this is huge, but viewing a movie last night was great. No problem with the size. It was much more like a movie theater experience. Now I need to get the settings right. I used the CNET settings and it was not too bad, but I know it can be much better.

I picked up a Digital Video Essentials HD-DVD, and a majority of the CNET options were spot on. The only big thing I noticed when using this disc is that the green levels are off (Which reading other replies in this forum, I'm not the least bit surprised). However red and blue are fine.

I'm tempted to just bite the bullet and get an ISF certified person to come calibrate it. Has anyone had these professionally calibrated, and if so do you feel it was worth it?
post #748 of 3635 Old 06-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Hello all,

I plan on getting an A2020 by the end of the week. I'm very excited...

Can you guys tell me how the motion blur is on this set? I had the Samsung LNT5265 LCD and the motion blur really disrupted the viewing of sporting events.

Also, will I need to get a special TV stand for this set?

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.
post #749 of 3635 Old 06-06-2007, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyinhb View Post

Hello all,

I plan on getting an A2020 by the end of the week. I'm very excited...

Can you guys tell me how the motion blur is on this set? I had the Samsung LNT5265 LCD and the motion blur really disrupted the viewing of sporting events.

Also, will I need to get a special TV stand for this set?

Motion blur is non existant on the SXRD's. They are rated at<5ms or 2.5 up and down. If you see something like motion blur on an SXRD it's not motion blur, it's compression from the source.
You don't need a special stand, however, since it's projection you want to make sure your eye level is in the center of the screen.
post #750 of 3635 Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 AM

Hello all. I have been following this thread for months and I picked up a 55a2020 last week (along with a killer 65% off deal on a Salamander stand ).

I love the TV so far but I have a few problems/questions.

Problem 1: I have severe lip sync problems when watching some local hd channels via a Comcast 6412 hd dvr. Jay Leno is impossible to watch. Some other shows have less noticeable lip sync issues. Audio is ahead of the video by about half a second. My older 34 inch Sony CRT set had no such issues with the same cable box and same component connection. Will switching to an HDMI box help? Is this a problem with my TV, all SXRD tv's, or the cable provider/box? If I get an HDMI capable hd dvr, would using the TV's optical out to my receiver help this?

Problem 2: Uneven blacks. When watching dark content such as the Prestige on blu-ray, my black levels in one part of the screen have a purple tint to them. Other parts of the screen are a very good (if not slightly backlit) black. Should I just accept this as usual for this TV or return the set to my local store? Have any of you experienced this. I have about 25 days to decide.

Thanks for the help!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page