The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3635 Old 03-17-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got my 55A2020 from CC on Wednesday afternoon. It has a Feb. 2007 build date. Got it all unboxed and setup and have been adjusting and analyizing the picture over the last couple of nights. I have these items hooked up to it. A Moxi HD-DVR,Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD and a PS3 60 for Blu-Ray. I took back a 50A2000 to CC because of green tinge or tint in some picture sources and a very uneven black screen background. The A2000 I had I bought on Feb 9 2007 and had a Sept. 06 build date.

I'll start off with the good. HD on any source looks fantastic. If all I watched was HD I would have no problems at all. SD seems to look better than on the A2000 I had. Actually everything on this set looks better than the A2000 did. It just seems to have more "POP" to the picture. It can still use a little tweaking but overall it looks very nice. I've run the SD version of DVE and looked at all the test screens for anything strange but couldn't find anything that really stood out (discoloration or geometry). The black cabinet looks really nice in my setup. I have two Pioneer Elite component cabinets that are a piano black finish on each side of the TV so it really fits in there well.

Here are my only problems. I have seen some green tinge in beards and some blonde hair has a real green tint to it. This could be in the source. I've only seen it on SD newscasts (KNBC-4 in L.A.) I've yet to see it on anything HD. At startup I have a green round blob in the center of the screen that goes away after about 20 to 30 minutes. I noticed this yesterday when I turned the set on and there was a shot of a beach and the sand in the middle had a green tint to it.

My biggest concern is a small spot in the bottom portion of the screen (just above the Sony logo) which looks like light bleeding or a internal reflection of some sort. It's in a rectangler shape about 6" long and about 2 " high. I've yet to see it in actual program material but I'm going to try a letterboxed movied tonight and see if it shows up in the black bars. The place I've noticed it is like a black screen between a commerical and the show starting. It's also very noticable on say input 7 when it's selected and noting is on and there is just a black screen. This screen is an uneven black (tints of red and what looks like green) and then this reflection at the bottom of the screen. Like I said so far I haven't seen it in the souce material I'm watching so I'll have to keep an eye on it. If anybody wants to check their sets please do so and report back. Just put up an input with nothing on it and see if the screen looks uneven or has a small spot just above the Sony logo. I'd really like to hear some input on that.

Anyway that's the story up till now. I'll test out some more things tonight and see what else I see. If I don't see anything on any source material I guess it doesn't really matter but it still kinda of bugs me. I guess seeing all black screens from my CRT days has me spoiled

Not sure if it's a keeper or not. I've got 30 days to decide and I have no idea what else I would get so I'm trying to stay objective.

Later,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3635 Old 03-17-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
i noticed that yesterday too, all the faces looked like people were zombies or sick with green yellow shadows. Kinda weird because no amount of adjustment would make it go away, all the other colors were fine. Just the faces looked greenish, it eventually went away after couple hours and this morning there wasn't a hint of green. odd.
post #93 of 3635 Old 03-17-2007, 07:46 PM

ok i received my 60a2020 today got it hooked with componet hd wires that came with my 8300hd dvr from cablevision , for some reason im not getting closed caption on my new set , this happen to anyone else ?? anyone got any suggestions on how i can get this to work ?? thanks in advance , carlos a , bronx ny

never mind figured it out , cc wont work with tv , had to use cable box , im guessin that the tv would only do it over componet for dvd's and what not , thanks anyway
post #94 of 3635 Old 03-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Motoman: I have a similar problem, I have a green tint in the lower bottom middle of the screen that goes up almost to the middle of the screen. Its mostly noticeable on black material but give it some time and you'll see it in other colors as well or maybe its just cause I have a trained eye. I have sony coming out this week to look at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 3635 Old 03-17-2007, 09:03 PM

Somewhat off-topic but it seem the A2020s are replacing the A2000s, or at least at my local retailers.

C Snyder
post #96 of 3635 Old 03-17-2007, 09:03 PM

i noticed the green tint also right out of the box , doesnt bother me right now , im gonna play with the settings a lil see if i can correct it somewhat , if not ill go the sony route
post #97 of 3635 Old 03-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum801 View Post

i noticed the green tint also right out of the box , doesnt bother me right now , im gonna play with the settings a lil see if i can correct it somewhat , if not ill go the sony route

Unfortunatly that won't fix it, Its a convergance error (at least on my set). I have been in the service menu and tryed to correct the convergance while displaying a crosshatch pattern but unfortunatly the option only changes from 0 to 2 and thats not enough to balance all of the colors, I was able to shift the green tint to the top of the screen but unfortunatly its either the top or bottom. I posted in the A2000 thread and they say it doesn't sound like the green blob because I can change the location of the tint. Sense changing the settings from Sony's default 1 in the service menu convergance item to any other number throws the colors off even more I think they did it intentionally. Now that I know its not just mine thats doing it I think I might just cancel my service call cause it really doesnt bother me that much and overall im happy with the set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #98 of 3635 Old 03-18-2007, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info Nick I'll have to read up on that service menu setting and see how it works on mine. I did some more testing with DVE last night and various other movies. We watched "Meet the Parents" on HD-DVD last night and it really looked great. Also watched my HD-DVR recording of Lost and it really did show off the HD picture. I put in my Spiderman "Superbit" SD-DVD in the Toshiba HD-XA2 (upscaled to 1080i) and man did it look nice. Watched the scene where Macy Gray is singing and Spiderman has a fight with the Green Goblin. Man all the colors in that scene just jumped off the screen.

Back to DVE testing. I mainly looked at the different color screens that can be brought up in DVE. A couple of the lighter grey screens did have a slight uneven color to them but I could not see it on the all white or yellow screen. So far none of this has been seen in regular viewing. I did pull up a couple of letterbox movies in both HD and SD-DVD and I could still see the small rectangular box at the bottom of the screen I described in my earlier post. So it doesn't matter what you have up it's there. It's only visible on dark screens. Has anybody else seen anything like this on their sets?

Anyway that's where I'm at. I'll give the set a little more time and see if anything bugs me enough to return it and try another one. I would give the 55A2020 another chance because overall I like the set but it just has a couple of warts I would like to resolve. I think the one that bugs me the most is the small rectangular reflection or whatever that is at the bottom of the screen.

If I see or learn anything else I'll post it.

Jim
post #99 of 3635 Old 03-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Well I think I just got mine straightened out, I wasn't able to get all the colors perfectly aligned and it threw the convergence off a bit in other spots and while its not an ideal solution at least now none of the colors stick out like the green. If anyone wants to know how to adjust the convergance check out the A2000 tweak thread: Second post down http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&page=1&pp=30

post #100 of 3635 Old 03-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Owners, could you report if your set ever develops the green blob/tint/haze/whatever? I'd like to see if this issue creeps up with these newer models.

If you've had half as much fun reading this post as I've had writing it, well then, I've had twice as much fun writing this post as you've had reading it.
post #101 of 3635 Old 03-18-2007, 06:34 PM

I received my 60A2020. Love the all black cab. XBox 360 looks awesome, HD-DVD looks awesome and a few HD programs look awesome, the channel HDN shows high quality programs. SD looks like SD, pretty crappy, but that's normal. Alot of the Direct TV HD looks average. So, I have concluded that this TV is awesome with a good feed! I think my XBR handled crappy feeds better and that's why people think they are better. DTV, Fox and CBS etc.. just need to get their Sh%$ together and everyone can be happy. No green or pink hue. The only negative I see is the whites on the A2000 and A2020, not quite as crisp as the XBR. Overall I really like it and just need more high quality HD and all is well. We need some setting examples for DVD and Satellite.

Dax
post #102 of 3635 Old 03-18-2007, 09:39 PM

Don't be a smartass. Hockey on HDN looks beautiful. You have too much time on your hands loser.

Dax
post #103 of 3635 Old 03-19-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax-The-Ax View Post

I received my 60A2020. Love the all black cab. XBox 360 looks awesome, HD-DVD looks awesome and a few HD programs look awesome, the channel HDN shows high quality programs. SD looks like SD, pretty crappy, but that's normal. Alot of the Direct TV HD looks average. So, I have concluded that this TV is awesome with a good feed! I think my XBR handled crappy feeds better and that's why people think they are better. DTV, Fox and CBS etc.. just need to get their Sh%$ together and everyone can be happy. No green or pink hue. The only negative I see is the whites on the A2000 and A2020, not quite as crisp as the XBR. Overall I really like it and just need more high quality HD and all is well. We need some setting examples for DVD and Satellite.

Dax

Which Direct HD channels? What DTV receiver are you using and how is it connected to the A2020? I have DTV and the HR20 and I'm considering the A2020 XBR2 or waiting for A3000 and XBR3.

How are SD channels like Fox SC, Setanta, Speed, Golf or any of the fox regional sports channels?

Thanks for your input.

Kevin
post #104 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2003 View Post

Well I think I just got mine straightened out, I wasn't able to get all the colors perfectly aligned and it threw the convergence off a bit in other spots and while its not an ideal solution at least now none of the colors stick out like the green. If anyone wants to know how to adjust the convergance check out the A2000 tweak thread: Second post down http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&page=1&pp=30

Nick,

After you adjusted your convergence how does it look after living with it for a few days? I haven't adjusted mine yet. I did try some of the g-gain and g-bias settings in the white balance setting but it didn't help. I watched a couple of HD shows last night and there were a few green tinge moments on some faces then on the news some real green blonde hair moments.

Jim
post #105 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello guys, I'm subscribing to this thread

A few questions I've been in and out of the a2000 thread for a couple days now. I'm leaning towards SXRD or Plasma. Since this might be a different group of guys why did you choose the SXRD? PQ seems to be really good on both sets.

Green Blob potential as I stated in the other thread is a concern but it seems to be blown out of proportion.

Secondly how can this tv have a better picture than the 2000 when according to sony the internals are identical? That seems to make zero sense to me

Third what is the lamp life in these sets? It looks pretty easy to change from browsing the manuals on sony's site, however, it didn't list the expected life.
post #106 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

they are the same. Both same internals, different casing.
post #107 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpeed6 View Post

they are the same. Both same internals, different casing.

Right, so how is it that people are reporting much better PQ?
post #108 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

its all in the mind. Your mind believes what you tell it. Kinda like why eyewitness testimonies are hardly held up in courts.
post #109 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

Nick,

After you adjusted your convergence how does it look after living with it for a few days? I haven't adjusted mine yet. I did try some of the g-gain and g-bias settings in the white balance setting but it didn't help. I watched a couple of HD shows last night and there were a few green tinge moments on some faces then on the news some real green blonde hair moments.

Jim

Hi Jim, I decided to return my convergance back to the default, It wasn't worth throwing off the other colors just to get the green right when every part of the screen besides the bottom was perfect from the start. I was searching threw the A2000 tweaks thread and there was a post by an ISF guy and he basically said the convergance errors are normal and you won't get rid of them unless you go for a diffrent display technology.

At this point im just going to leave mine alone and enjoy it, I didn't even notice it till 3 days after I had it so I think its just one of those things thats not going to bother you unless your looking for it.

post #110 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Nick,

I think I'm going to exchange mine and give the 55A2020 one more try. I just can't get over the uneven blacks and that small reflection or whatever it is that is visible in any black screen including letterbox bars. I could probably adjust to or tolerate some of the green tint . I just think there has to be a better sample out there from what everybody else is saying compared to mine. I might as well try exchanging it while I still can.

Jim
post #111 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

No problem Jim, I think thats your best bet cause ive never heard of the reflection problem.

I finally figured out what the problem with mine is. My tv stand is too tall, Its like 24" and the Sony one is only around 18 so I was sitting way too low and thats what was causing me to see the green cause the convergance will look diffrent at diffrent angles. I guess i'll half to buy the Sony stand but I think i'll wait till they hopefully come out with black stands for the A2020's.

post #112 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 09:27 PM

First time poster, long time AVS reader.

Helped my father research a new TV (to replace an aging 32" CRT); I suggested the 60" A2020. He pulled the trigger on it a few weeks ago and has been thrilled with the image quality -- HD DVD and Blu-Ray movies look stunning on it.

Unfortunately I noticed a couple of issues. First, there appears to be a slight convergence issue -- the bottom and right side of the screen have a visible green cast, but only when black is being displayed (ie, Letterboxed/Pillarboxed content). It's barely visible on the right side, and is practically invisible altogether when watching anything other than a black screen. I understand this is quite normal for these TV's and it's not distracting, so no biggie.

The other issue is the one I'm more concerned about -- a dreaded green blob in the middle of the screen, with a purple/magenta discoloration around it (like a green hole in a purple/magenta donut). It's most obvious upon a cold startup of the TV, and appears to dissipate after the set has been on for about 2 hours. It's difficult to spot when viewing something other than a mid gray to white screen, but you can still pick it out if you know it's there (until it's pretty much gone after the 2 hour mark).

Should this be a cause for concern? As a precautionary measure he's called up Sony and someone is going to come over and take a look at it. Is it normal for the "green blob" to take a couple of hours to dissipate? Anyone else with an A2020 experiencing the same thing?

Oh, the set has a Manuf. Date of Feb 2007.
post #113 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheaty View Post

First time poster, long time AVS reader.

Helped my father research a new TV (to replace an aging 32" CRT); I suggested the 60" A2020. He pulled the trigger on it a few weeks ago and has been thrilled with the image quality -- HD DVD and Blu-Ray movies look stunning on it.

Unfortunately I noticed a couple of issues. First, there appears to be a slight convergence issue -- the bottom and right side of the screen have a visible green cast, but only when black is being displayed (ie, Letterboxed/Pillarboxed content). It's barely visible on the right side, and is practically invisible altogether when watching anything other than a black screen. I understand this is quite normal for these TV's and it's not distracting, so no biggie.

The other issue is the one I'm more concerned about -- a dreaded green blob in the middle of the screen, with a purple/magenta discoloration around it (like a green hole in a purple/magenta donut). It's most obvious upon a cold startup of the TV, and appears to dissipate after the set has been on for about 2 hours. It's difficult to spot when viewing something other than a mid gray to white screen, but you can still pick it out if you know it's there (until it's pretty much gone after the 2 hour mark).

Should this be a cause for concern? As a precautionary measure he's called up Sony and someone is going to come over and take a look at it. Is it normal for the "green blob" to take a couple of hours to dissipate? Anyone else with an A2020 experiencing the same thing?

Oh, the set has a Manuf. Date of Feb 2007.

How could he be thrilled with the image quality if he has to sit thru 2 hours of Green Blob/Mangenta Doughnuts? Your post sounds awfully suspect to me. Sorry but there have been a lot of Trolls on here spouting Green blob rumors but none of them seem to post any pictures of it, especially on the new A2020 models.
post #114 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 10:12 PM

i'm looking into getting either an A2000 or A2020 and it was interesting to read the last few posts about the green convergence issues. Is this common with the A2000 models as well? or more common with the A2020?

-Carter
post #115 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBOSS View Post

How could he be thrilled with the image quality if he has to sit thru 2 hours of Green Blob/Mangenta Doughnuts? Your post sounds awfully suspect to me. Sorry but there have been a lot of Trolls on here spouting Green blob rumors but none of them seem to post any pictures of it, especially on the new A2020 models.

If you had bothered to read my whole post, you would have noticed this part:

Quote:

It's difficult to spot when viewing something other than a mid gray to white screen, but you can still pick it out if you know it's there (until it's pretty much gone after the 2 hour mark).

For the most part "normal" viewing looks great... but once you know the green blob is there, you keep trying to find it.

And if you want to label me as a troll, so be it. I'm just posting my experiences with a 60" A2020 (which is what this thread is about, right?).
post #116 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 10:42 PM

Don't get so heated up. If you've been reading for a while you would realize that there have been numerous Trolls on here ranting about the green blob issues. I was not labeling you as a troll by no means but posting some pictures showing the issue would validate the claims a little better. I am no fanboy but I plan on purchasing either the 60A2020 or the 60XBR2 next week and if there are continuing to be green blob issues with the A2020 models then I would appreciate pictures showing it as it will no doubt save me and probably a lot of other people from buying these obviously defective sets. TV's these days are much more of an investment than they were a few years back when you start talking about laying down a month's salary on something like the 52 XBR3 LCD. $5000.00 for a TV IMO is just plain silliness unless it's proven that the TV will last 20 years and no manuf. can claim that. However if Sony guaranteed it for 10-12 years then I would plop down the $5000.00 in a heartbeat. The problem is, there's just no mature technology in Televisions right now like they were with Tubes. Tubes were very mature technologically speaking and Sony was the gold-standard with Tubes but there's really no clear winner yet in the new TV technologies as there are trade-offs and the dreaded unknown lifespans of the technology you intend to invest your hard earned money in. I may end up going with the 60A2020 for now and just save the extra money and allow the LCD technology to mature for a few years and by then I can set my sights on a great XBR9 or XBR18 LCD (which is the revision Sony will be at by that time) and give my A2020 to my parents.

I didn't mean to insult you.
post #117 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroputt View Post

i'm looking into getting either an A2000 or A2020 and it was interesting to read the last few posts about the green convergence issues. Is this common with the A2000 models as well? or more common with the A2020?

Yes its common with all 3 panel displays and plasma, crt, The only display tech that it would be a non issue with is DLP but a DLP also has rainbows (which some people get sick from). The SXRD offers a superior image in my opinion. Every display will have its problems you just half to choose whichever doesn't bother you the most but I can live with misconvergance with the kind of amazing picture im geting right now.

post #118 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBOSS View Post

Don't get so heated up. If you've been reading for a while you would realize that there have been numerous Trolls on here ranting about the green blob issues. I was not labeling you as a troll by no means but posting some pictures showing the issue would validate the claims a little better. I am no fanboy but I plan on purchasing either the 60A2020 or the 60XBR2 next week and if there are continuing to be green blob issues with the A2020 models then I would appreciate pictures showing it as it will no doubt save me and probably a lot of other people from buying these obviously defective sets. TV's these days are much more of an investment than they were a few years back when you start talking about laying down a month's salary on something like the 52 XBR3 LCD. $5000.00 for a TV IMO is just plain silliness unless it's proven that the TV will last 20 years and no manuf. can claim that. However if Sony guaranteed it for 10-12 years then I would plop down the $5000.00 in a heartbeat. The problem is, there's just no mature technology in Televisions right now like they were with Tubes. Tubes were very mature technologically speaking and Sony was the gold-standard with Tubes but there's really no clear winner yet in the new TV technologies as there are trade-offs and the dreaded unknown lifespans of the technology you intend to invest your hard earned money in. I may end up going with the 60A2020 for now and just save the extra money and allow the LCD technology to mature for a few years and by then I can set my sights on a great XBR9 or XBR18 LCD (which is the revision Sony will be at by that time) and give my A2020 to my parents.

I didn't mean to insult you.

You didn't insult me -- I simply matched the tone of your post.

As for what you've posted here, I totally agree. The "tube era" is over, and now a bunch of technologies (some more mature than others) are all fighting for market share. IMO, SXRD gives the best bang for the buck picture-quality wise; yeah, it's unfortunate to be felled by the green blob issue (regardless of how trivial it may be), but I'm confident it can (and will) be resolved.
post #119 of 3635 Old 03-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheaty View Post

yeah, it's unfortunate to be felled by the green blob issue (regardless of how trivial it may be), but I'm confident it can (and will) be resolved.

I wouldn't be so sure on that, You should check out the A2000 and XBR SXRD threads, There hasn't been much luck in geting the issue resolved. You might be better off just exchanging the tv for a new one.

post #120 of 3635 Old 03-21-2007, 06:27 AM

Just thought I would chime in again and post some positive info. After a week I am really starting to like my 60A2020. With good HD sources the A2020 looks great. XBox 360 is beautiful. I believe we can't judge these TV's at the store anymore. The signals are just crappy and te TV's are set to factory specs, Vivid mode etc... No color problems here and black and white movies finally look black and white. Is someone going to start an A2020 tweaks and settings thread? I am ready to tweak!! I would really like to have my set calibrated. Need to find an affordable tucson ISF tech.

Dax
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page