The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 3635 Old 03-25-2007, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WaldorfSalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nr. Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwhecker View Post

Like so many others, I am debating an upcoming purchase. Do I pick up the 55A2000 for $1899 of get the 55A2020 for $2299?

A rather reputable local TV dealer that sells only Sony and Pioneer is telling me the A2000 had a firmware problem and that the A2020 comes with the most recent and upgraded firmware.

Do you think this is a line of BS? Or could there be any creditability to this claim.

I am really stressing over this decision.

Considering I am not in the market for a BluRay or any other component that will utilize the 1080 capability, do you think it would be a totally unwise purchase to get the 720p model and wait until the new technology fixes these apparent problems? Specifically, I am thinking about the KDF 55E2000, which is in the $1500 price range.

Help!!!! Any info that could shed light on this decision would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Charles

The earlier A2000s, back in the July 06 timeframe, had an erroneous filter setting in the service menu that caused a litttle loss of detail and thus softened the image a bit. It was relatively easily corrected but Sony fixed it in subsequent builds. That could be the "firmware" problem that your "rather reputable local TV dealer" mentioned. You should be just fine if you get a recent build (which is guaranteed if you get an A2020 as it looks like they were all built in Jan/Feb 07 so far).
WaldorfSalad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 3635 Old 03-26-2007, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AlanBuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: INDIANAPOLIS, IN
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwhecker View Post

Like so many others, I am debating an upcoming purchase. Do I pick up the 55A2000 for $1899 of get the 55A2020 for $2299?

A rather reputable local TV dealer that sells only Sony and Pioneer is telling me the A2000 had a firmware problem and that the A2020 comes with the most recent and upgraded firmware.

Do you think this is a line of BS? Or could there be any creditability to this claim.

I am really stressing over this decision.

Considering I am not in the market for a BluRay or any other component that will utilize the 1080 capability, do you think it would be a totally unwise purchase to get the 720p model and wait until the new technology fixes these apparent problems? Specifically, I am thinking about the KDF 55E2000, which is in the $1500 price range.

Help!!!! Any info that could shed light on this decision would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Charles

55E2000 is nice, but not in the same league as the SXRD models. SXRD has a much smoother picture, with better contast, and black levels. The firmware issue on the A2000 was fixed many months ago. Most or all sets built after August should be fine. It is easily fixed even if you get an earlier build. Unless you are dead set on an all black cabinet, get the A2000. It is the same tv as the A-2020. The money you save can go toward sales tax, and an extended warranty.
AlanBuck is offline  
post #183 of 3635 Old 03-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Senior Member
 
squeeblez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwhecker View Post

Like so many others, I am debating an upcoming purchase. Do I pick up the 55A2000 for $1899 of get the 55A2020 for $2299?

A rather reputable local TV dealer that sells only Sony and Pioneer is telling me the A2000 had a firmware problem and that the A2020 comes with the most recent and upgraded firmware.

Do you think this is a line of BS? Or could there be any creditability to this claim.

I am really stressing over this decision.

Considering I am not in the market for a BluRay or any other component that will utilize the 1080 capability, do you think it would be a totally unwise purchase to get the 720p model and wait until the new technology fixes these apparent problems? Specifically, I am thinking about the KDF 55E2000, which is in the $1500 price range.

Help!!!! Any info that could shed light on this decision would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Charles

I have to agree with everyone else on this one, I would (and did) go with 55A2000. You said you wouldnt have any 1080 source material? Do you not have HD service through your provider? Do you not plan on it? How bout OTA? Anyway, what I am getting at is, once you see this set in your home, with a decent HD source, you will be blown away. Seeing these TVs in the store do them NO justice. Bite the bullet, pull the trigger, pony up the extra dough, however you wanna say it, make the purchase and don't look back
squeeblez is offline  
post #184 of 3635 Old 03-26-2007, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
motoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: California
Posts: 1,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As many following this thread know I was having some issues with my new 55A2020. I went to two stores yesterday and comapred floor models to what I have been seeing on mine. Not always the best place to view things like this but I knew what to look at. Basically none of the floor samples had the kind of problems I was seeing on my set. After looking at the 55A2020 at CC and seeing nothing I decided to make the trade.

Well the new set was delivered yesterday and to make a long story short this set has none of the problems I was seeing on the first set. No green donut at startup. No rectangular box reflection (or what ever it was). Even colored black screens. A little lightness in the fade to black between scenes but nothing like the discoloring I saw in the old set. Before they took the old set I was watching the Nascar race on Fox-HD and when the track was shown just right there was a green tint right in the center of the screen to the asphalt. Once the new set was delivered (right in the middle of the race) I set things up and tuned the race back on and no green in the center of the screen like the old set.

Anyway so far so good. I spent some time tweaking and watching shows tonight and spending time watching things I'm use to watching and gettting a better feel for how things look on it. So far it looks like it might be a keeper I hope so and I can just watch stuff and enjoy it.

I'll keep you all updated.

Later,

Jim
motoman is offline  
post #185 of 3635 Old 03-27-2007, 06:02 AM
Senior Member
 
squeeblez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

As many following this thread know I was having some issues with my new 55A2020. I went to two stores yesterday and comapred floor models to what I have been seeing on mine. Not always the best place to view things like this but I knew what to look at. Basically none of the floor samples had the kind of problems I was seeing on my set. After looking at the 55A2020 at CC and seeing nothing I decided to make the trade.

Well the new set was delivered yesterday and to make a long story short this set has none of the problems I was seeing on the first set. No green donut at startup. No rectangular box reflection (or what ever it was). Even colored black screens. A little lightness in the fade to black between scenes but nothing like the discoloring I saw in the old set. Before they took the old set I was watching the Nascar race on Fox-HD and when the track was shown just right there was a green tint right in the center of the screen to the asphalt. Once the new set was delivered (right in the middle of the race) I set things up and tuned the race back on and no green in the center of the screen like the old set.

Anyway so far so good. I spent some time tweaking and watching shows tonight and spending time watching things I'm use to watching and gettting a better feel for how things look on it. So far it looks like it might be a keeper I hope so and I can just watch stuff and enjoy it.

I'll keep you all updated.

Later,

Jim

Watch it and enjoy it is right! That is one downside to reading these forums is that it CAN make us paranoid and we end up LOOKING for problems. Granted, you obviously had a bad set the first time and I am glad you got a good one now, but have fun and enjoy that's what this is all about
squeeblez is offline  
post #186 of 3635 Old 03-27-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Carmel Valley, CA USA
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

... Basically none of the floor samples had the kind of problems I was seeing on my set. After looking at the 55A2020 at CC and seeing nothing I decided to make the trade.

... Once the new set was delivered (right in the middle of the race) I set things up and tuned the race back on and no green in the center of the screen like the old set.Jim

Are you saying that if you purchase from CC, you can tell them you want to exchange for another model without them having to send a service tech to verify any problems, and they will pick up the old and deliver the new one? Is this just for the first 30 days? Do you have to purchase their extended warranty for this?

Thanks.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

shelly is offline  
post #187 of 3635 Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
motoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: California
Posts: 1,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you purchase from CC you can return certain things within 30 days from date of purchase. If it had been a small problem I would of probably tried the repair route but I didn't feel the problems on my set were correctable on a local level.

My understanding is if you had the original purchase delivered they will deliver a replacement. I will say the local CC was very helpfull and didn't give me any hassles at all. Setup the exchange and credited the difference on the sale price. So far it's been very nice dealing with them. I was a little worried how nice they might be if I had another problem set

Jim
motoman is offline  
post #188 of 3635 Old 03-27-2007, 04:10 PM
 
drghaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

The earlier A2000s, back in the July 06 timeframe, had an erroneous filter setting in the service menu that caused a litttle loss of detail and thus softened the image a bit. It was relatively easily corrected but Sony fixed it in subsequent builds. That could be the "firmware" problem that your "rather reputable local TV dealer" mentioned. You should be just fine if you get a recent build (which is guaranteed if you get an A2020 as it looks like they were all built in Jan/Feb 07 so far).

a little more then erroneous wouldnt you say?
drghaze is offline  
post #189 of 3635 Old 03-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
nick2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeblez View Post

Watch it and enjoy it is right! That is one downside to reading these forums is that it CAN make us paranoid and we end up LOOKING for problems. Granted, you obviously had a bad set the first time and I am glad you got a good one now, but have fun and enjoy that's what this is all about

Exactly, I no longer look for the green tint problem and now I am really enjoying the tv and the green hasn't bothered me a bit sense I stoped looking for it.
nick2003 is offline  
post #190 of 3635 Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
motoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: California
Posts: 1,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Like one of the posters suggested in the A2000 thread here is something to think about. Last night I was watching news on the local KNBC4 SD station and one shot came up with a girl talking on screen and she looked horrible. Very greenish face the the news girl had green blond hair. I thought oh my gosh here I go again I went in the other room and turned on my 31" Panasonic CRT to the same show and guess what? Green face and hair in that show also. Not as bad but once you blow it up to 55" it probably would show it more. So it may just be source related afterall. I always thought it was strange a HD-DVR recording of Leno can look so clear and perfect but the next show (Lost) can have green tinge to beards or faces.

Something to think about

Jim
motoman is offline  
post #191 of 3635 Old 03-28-2007, 06:09 AM
Senior Member
 
squeeblez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Plus, the blond could have been swimming in an overly chlorinated pool

Just kidding, it is my strong belief it IS source related as I have seen this on SXRD, CRT, Plasma, and DLP
squeeblez is offline  
post #192 of 3635 Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
squeeblez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
...nobody is posting in you. Don't know if anybody cares or from the looks of it if anyone is reading, but I was trying to get something going in the A2000 tweaks thread. What I was curious about was what settings people are using? I thought it might be cool to see and compare (yes I get bored easily) since these are essentialy the same TVs, if any of you A2020 owners want to participate (wouldnt want to discriminate based on color!) come on over
squeeblez is offline  
post #193 of 3635 Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Member
 
zeroputt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm getting my 60" A2020 tomarrow. cant wait!

-Carter.
zeroputt is offline  
post #194 of 3635 Old 03-30-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
motoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: California
Posts: 1,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What do you guys make of this. I got home last night and turned on my replacement 55A2020. Once the picture came on everything looked green. I don't mean a little green tinge but GREEN.. I left it on for over an hour just to see what would happen but it never changed. I finally turned it off and unplugged it and had dinner and did a few other things . Plugged it back in about an hour later and turned it on and the picture looked ok but while watching CSI last night I noticed a green hue to my blacks. You can really notice it on the fade to black between scenes and when you switch to an unused input. My blacks didn't look like this before last night. It doesn't jump out at you in normal viewing but it isn't black black.

I didn't fool around with any settings or check DVE or anything because I was tired last night (and a little digusted) but I'll check more things out over the weekend. Just wanted to see if anybody has seen anything like this happen.

More later........

Jim
motoman is offline  
post #195 of 3635 Old 03-30-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AlanBuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: INDIANAPOLIS, IN
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

What do you guys make of this. I got home last night and turned on my replacement 55A2020. Once the picture came on everything looked green. I don't mean a little green tinge but GREEN.. I left it on for over an hour just to see what would happen but it never changed. I finally turned it off and unplugged it and had dinner and did a few other things . Plugged it back in about an hour later and turned it on and the picture looked ok but while watching CSI last night I noticed a green hue to my blacks. You can really notice it on the fade to black between scenes and when you switch to an unused input. My blacks didn't look like this before last night. It doesn't jump out at you in normal viewing but it isn't black black.

I didn't fool around with any settings or check DVE or anything because I was tired last night (and a little digusted) but I'll check more things out over the weekend. Just wanted to see if anybody has seen anything like this happen.

More later........

Jim

Never heard of that one. You should have tried another source like DVD player and seen if the green was equally bad. You getting your tv off the air, or from cable box etc.? Usinig HDMI or component?
AlanBuck is offline  
post #196 of 3635 Old 03-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
squeeblez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

What do you guys make of this. I got home last night and turned on my replacement 55A2020. Once the picture came on everything looked green. I don't mean a little green tinge but GREEN.. I left it on for over an hour just to see what would happen but it never changed. I finally turned it off and unplugged it and had dinner and did a few other things . Plugged it back in about an hour later and turned it on and the picture looked ok but while watching CSI last night I noticed a green hue to my blacks. You can really notice it on the fade to black between scenes and when you switch to an unused input. My blacks didn't look like this before last night. It doesn't jump out at you in normal viewing but it isn't black black.

I didn't fool around with any settings or check DVE or anything because I was tired last night (and a little digusted) but I'll check more things out over the weekend. Just wanted to see if anybody has seen anything like this happen.

More later........

Jim

Are you using a surge protector? There have been some people who reported weird color issues and sony told them to plug the set directly in the wall. After trying it they claimed it cured the problem
squeeblez is offline  
post #197 of 3635 Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AlanBuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: INDIANAPOLIS, IN
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeblez View Post

Are you using a surge protector? There have been some people who reported weird color issues and sony told them to plug the set directly in the wall. After trying it they claimed it cured the problem

Maybe true..but the funny thing is the Sony extended warranty REQUIRES you to use a UL approved surge protector. The cure is probably more often related to fact that you have 'rebooted' the set by unplugging it, more than anything to do with a surge protector. Seems lots of electronic items go crazy now and then, and cutting power for a bit fixes it.
AlanBuck is offline  
post #198 of 3635 Old 03-30-2007, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
motoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: California
Posts: 1,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Never heard of that one. You should have tried another source like DVD player and seen if the green was equally bad. You getting your tv off the air, or from cable box etc.? Usinig HDMI or component?

At first it was from regular SD cable. Then checked my Moxi HD-DVR via component and my HD-DVD and PS3 both via HDMI. All inputs looked the same. TV is hooked directly to the wall outlet.

Jim
motoman is offline  
post #199 of 3635 Old 03-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Senior Member
 
squeeblez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Maybe true..but the funny thing is the Sony extended warranty REQUIRES you to use a UL approved surge protector. The cure is probably more often related to fact that you have 'rebooted' the set by unplugging it, more than anything to do with a surge protector. Seems lots of electronic items go crazy now and then, and cutting power for a bit fixes it.

I agree, it is weird. This seems to be their go to response to alot of things people have called about, however this was the first situation the people actually claimed to see results. You might be right, that it is the reboot that is actually helping. I wouldnt want to have the set unprotected. I wonder if there are some surge protectors that might do something to the power? Maybe contaminate some how? I wouldn't think, but who knows
squeeblez is offline  
post #200 of 3635 Old 03-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
squeeblez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

At first it was from regular SD cable. Then checked my Moxi HD-DVR via component and my HD-DVD and PS3 both via HDMI. All inputs looked the same. TV is hooked directly to the wall outlet.

Jim


I used to have that Moxi box, I had a bunch of problems with it. Got them to switch me to the Moto DCT6412III w/ HDMI and twice the storage capacity.
squeeblez is offline  
post #201 of 3635 Old 03-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
EricM407's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeblez View Post

I agree, it is weird. This seems to be their go to response to alot of things people have called about, however this was the first situation the people actually claimed to see results. You might be right, that it is the reboot that is actually helping. I wouldnt want to have the set unprotected.

I think it's step 1 on the tech support checklist for a LOT of electronics products now. Xbox support and my cable company both start out there, and reboots do fix things half the time on those, at least temporarily (which makes them happy, because it gets you off the phone). I don't think they actually intend you to run all the time without a surge protector, they just try to eliminate/blame other equipment first for any problem.
EricM407 is offline  
post #202 of 3635 Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Member
 
Zeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, relatively new poster here.

I just got my 55A2020 today and haven't had any discoloration issues or green blobs. I did see a single noticeable green tint to skin tone on CSPAN, but it didn't seem to be prevalent on any other channels so I'm assuming it was the source material. I've noticed the picture seems to be much softer/less sharp than my old 55" Sony Wega LCD projection, but I've heard this is quite normal. Movies and Xbox 360/PS3 appear to move much more more fluidly, but I'm assuming this is due to a higher refresh rate over LCDs. I've also noticed there appears to be a very soft grain/noise that wasn't present in the LCD projection.

Anyway, my actual question is this. The built-in hd-turner pics up all of my local HD channels, but I am unable to get my previous premium channels such as HBO HD, HDNet, etc. etc. I called Charter and they said I would either need a cable card or box to recieve the channels. My previous Sony Wega used a Motorolla cable card and recieved the hd channels fine with amazing picture quality. I see no cable card slot on the A2020 and I was told that a box would be the only way.

It's been suggested that cable cards offer superior picture quality over a set top box, although I purchased the TV with the impression that I wouldn't need either due to the built-in tuner. Is there any possible way I can recieve the channels without a card or box?

ALL suggestions are welcomed on anything I mentioned above. Thanks guys.
Zeal is offline  
post #203 of 3635 Old 03-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Member
 
Gizmo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Morganton, NC
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeal View Post

Is there any possible way I can recieve the channels without a card or box?

I'm pretty sure your out of luck here. The digital tuner only picks up unencrypted channels not the premium ones. The A2020 doesn't have cable card - you need the XBR2 for that. Looks like the cable box is your only real option - picture quality should be fine depending on your carrier.

By the way, the first time I hooked up my A2000, I picked up all the PPV channels for free! Only lasted a few weeks though, then I guess someone wised up at the cable company and flipped some switch to turn it off. Every now and then, I'll still pick up one of the channels for a few hours - enough to usually watch whatever movie is on.
Gizmo123 is offline  
post #204 of 3635 Old 04-01-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rmassey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a perfectly working 2001 Pio 53" RPTV and am considering upgrading to a new SXRD. I have a great price from my local HT installer/authorized Sony dealer for a new A2020 60". My interest is that Sony has finally offered the SXRD in black with no more winged speakers. Finally, I can tolerate the look of these new sets.

Anyway, I've had my current RPTV since mid 2001, so I am coming up on 6 years of faithful service and really have no complaints. I want to move to a display that supports HDMI and I could also move up to 60" from my current 53" display. My current source is an HDTivo via D* and an upsampling Ssung DVDP. Both have HDMI, although I have my doubts if I will see any significant PQ improvement by just moving to HDMI. I am also considering the Oppo 981 if I get the SXRD. Although it seems a few here are not impressed with the 981 as an upgraded DVDP.

So, am I nuts to consider this upgrade to the SXRD with possible minimal benefits, or should I just dive in and make the move? What the heck do I do with my 6 yo RPTV (no room in the house for both). Are there any new/great upcoming features planned for late 2007/08 for the SXRDs that I should wait it out. I'd also need a TV stand for it (mo' money) and find a new location for my huge Rocket Center ch speaker above/below teh SXRD.

... thanks for your comments.
Rmassey is offline  
post #205 of 3635 Old 04-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Hawkmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeblez View Post

Watch it and enjoy it is right! That is one downside to reading these forums is that it CAN make us paranoid and we end up LOOKING for problems. Granted, you obviously had a bad set the first time and I am glad you got a good one now, but have fun and enjoy that's what this is all about

Well, that is also the benefit though. I would hate to have someone tell me there is an issue after a year or so and then have to deal with a repair versus an exchange. I too am paranoid and the enjoyment of a new set does not really set in until a few days pass...as you pop in DVD's like a mad man attempting to find an issue so that you can eathier exchange or enjoy if there are no problems.

I would rather go through the stress of the first few days than deal with something that was always there, but never noticed.

-Hawkmoon
Hawkmoon is offline  
post #206 of 3635 Old 04-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Member
 
mikeyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post

I currently have a perfectly working 2001 Pio 53" RPTV and am considering upgrading to a new SXRD. I have a great price from my local HT installer/authorized Sony dealer for a new A2020 60". My interest is that Sony has finally offered the SXRD in black with no more winged speakers. Finally, I can tolerate the look of these new sets.

Anyway, I've had my current RPTV since mid 2001, so I am coming up on 6 years of faithful service and really have no complaints. I want to move to a display that supports HDMI and I could also move up to 60" from my current 53" display. My current source is an HDTivo via D* and an upsampling Ssung DVDP. Both have HDMI, although I have my doubts if I will see any significant PQ improvement by just moving to HDMI. I am also considering the Oppo 981 if I get the SXRD. Although it seems a few here are not impressed with the 981 as an upgraded DVDP.

So, am I nuts to consider this upgrade to the SXRD with possible minimal benefits, or should I just dive in and make the move? What the heck do I do with my 6 yo RPTV (no room in the house for both). Are there any new/great upcoming features planned for late 2007/08 for the SXRDs that I should wait it out. I'd also need a TV stand for it (mo' money) and find a new location for my huge Rocket Center ch speaker above/below teh SXRD.

... thanks for your comments.

I'm waiting for the A3000. Saw some spec's yesterday and I'm interested in the 55" set that is 15" wide. If you have the room wait for the XBR's due in November. The 60" is 13" wide, and the 70" is 14" wide. That should put the pressure on plasma prices to come down.
mikeyf is offline  
post #207 of 3635 Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
6SpeedTA95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tulsa area
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyf View Post

I'm waiting for the A3000. Saw some spec's yesterday and I'm interested in the 55" set that is 15" wide. If you have the room wait for the XBR's due in November. The 60" is 13" wide, and the 70" is 14" wide. That should put the pressure on plasma prices to come down.

You mean 13 inches deep?
6SpeedTA95 is offline  
post #208 of 3635 Old 04-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Member
 
mikeyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

You mean 13 inches deep?


Yep. Sorry. I was looking at the current sets from the side yesterday........
mikeyf is offline  
post #209 of 3635 Old 04-01-2007, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rmassey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyf View Post

I'm waiting for the A3000. Saw some spec's yesterday and I'm interested in the 55" set that is 15" wide. If you have the room wait for the XBR's due in November. The 60" is 13" wide, and the 70" is 14" wide. That should put the pressure on plasma prices to come down.

what do they offer over the current models. Will they offer black with no winged speakers for the XBRs in Nov?
Rmassey is offline  
post #210 of 3635 Old 04-02-2007, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
REFLEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB - Canada
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im LOVING my 60A2000 .... I was trying to read a bunch about the 2020 models. are they actually the same as the A2000 models?

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
REFLEX is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off