Service Mode and Factory Data
As I stated in an old post several weeks ago, going into service mode resets all your settings for all inputs. Rather annoying if you just want to look around, but reasonable if you're about to change the calibration data (so the starting point is the same for all sets).
It's been stated before, but to go into service mode, with the power off, press on the remote Mute - 1 - 8 - 2 - Power in sequence. To exit SM, power off. There are also direct remote codes to do this that doesn't require power on/off for the Pronto Remote and maybe others. See www.remotecentral.com
or search this forum for Service mode Pronto.Service Mode Items
The explanation of items for service mode entries is poor at best. It does explain the range of each item and the default value which is nice. I'd estimate less than 20% of the items are explained, and the Item name is often cryptic to begin with. I don't have any more knowledge about the safety of modifying these items and/or what the effect will be for sure. If you're inclined to modify these, I'd get the service manual first and jot down any existing settings in case they differ from the manual. I counted about 621 settings! Here's a few of the interesting options I see, although most are not that useful other than doing an IFS calibration.Mute time:
0-1000 ms - Time which the screen will be black while switching - default 600ms. Doesn't say what type of switching, perhaps inputs?V-Flip
- Flip/Normal can flip the vertical - perhaps so you can mount it upside down?H-Flip
- Flip/Normal flip the horizontal direction.Test Pattern (DDP)
- 1-18 - Display built in patterns to validate there are no errors in the DMD chip.Sensor Status
- OK/NG - default OK. Text states Color Sensor value save. Hard to figure out what this means or does. I assume NG=No good.Actu On/Off
- Default On - I suspect this turns off wobulation (called Actuator), perhaps to make it easier to see defects with DMD?SHARPNESS_FILTER
- 0-100, default 60. No description as to what it controls.Audio Delay
- 0-0xFFFF, default 0. I expect this delay is within the set only. If you have an audio delay problem, it's likely due to using external audio when the video path has extra delays in it. I don't see this option fixing it. A new HDMI 1.3 receiver is likely the best answer that can coordinate the audio delay with the video. On my set/receiver the sound appears in sync with the video.Pattern Select
- PCI-1~14 - Doesn't say anything else, but perhaps it also puts up test patterns. There is no default value.Calibration and Service Adjustments
Here the manual is quite weak. We get all of 4 sparse pages on how to adjust the set. It includes position, CCA (Color Coordinate Adjustment) adjustment methods (which is close to useless), and the Actuator (wobulation) gain adjustment. I'd say the IFS guys get their money worth as the manual isn't much help in doing a calibration.
There are also 5 pages of mechanical adjustments for screen tilt; focus and Illumination adjustment (out of adjustment shows a slight shadow on two sides of the screen, about 5% or less from the edges). Test patterns can be generated by the set for these adjustments.
To alter the mechanical adjustments requires removal of the back panel, and use of a large mirror to see the adjustment effect. Insulated gloves are recommended as you have to reach into the live set to make the adjustments.Enjoy!