Forum Jump: 

post #4561 of 14887 Old 08-10-2007, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow View Post

I guess I'm one of the sceptics, although I have an open mind. But the facts for me are that a) the service manager of my store, a small high-end AV store with decades of providing their own service, says bluntly it's a waste of money and b) I couldn't find anyone in Eastern Ontario doing it. So I guess I'm just condemned to continued bliss.

well I am ALWAYS a skeptic when it comes to money, but I saw it with my own eyes, the focus job alone was worth the bucks. It was simply fuzzy as hell

MINIMALLY, rent the DVE disk and run JUST the focus grid. Mine was new, I THOUGHT it looked good to my eyes, but DANG that grid was fuzzy as hell in the center (the hot spot!). After focusing (which took all of 15-20 minutes), the XMB on the PS3 looked like a large computer monitor, super crisp

I was made a convert and fervent disciple after eliab took my 1st generation HLM, which was fully of solarizations and looked like crap, and made it into a very watchable set, this time, he took a really wonderfully bright set and made it into like a 3d glass

so the adage is, calibration will make a good set better, it makes a great set look phenomenal

The guys at avical are unique...I cannot say what other calibrators do and perhaps your service guy had a bad experience...I can only vouch for eliab's work. The 4 hours or so went by like minutes! I now have to watch stuff again and get amazed all over...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 14887 Old 08-10-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnowak View Post

sgeorge999. My son has the HLS5687 and I have the HLT5687. He and I think mine is brighter. Much more intense whites and much better color rendition. GJN

the led is great, but I don't know if brighter and more white is better...the whole object of calibration is to make the set "follow the rules"...what you want is to see what the director wanted you to see when he sat in a million dollar plus studio.

the samsung (especially the HLT) has a lot going for it, there's some stuff that is completely buggy (for example, my light engine is skewed 1/8" and nothing can be done about it, you can really not notice it, but still....) there's some other stuff that make this the set to buy

it IS kinda funny how 2 years or so back everybody was questioning hi def and wondering what the hell was going to happen and once again sanity is making the rules, you CAN back up your HD stuff, you can actually burn bluray, HDMI DOES work, displays have gotten way better
post #4563 of 14887 Old 08-10-2007, 06:06 PM

Well, the season is here. I am watching Bills @ Saints on OTA CBS HD. The only thing that could possibly make this better is if it were the Pack at Lambeau! (That's tomorrow. ) Simply outstanding. (6187S)

For comparison, I turned on the DNIe. It seems to make stuff a bit sharper and brighter, but then it is almost a bit too much -- too in your face. Anyone else play with the nannies?
post #4564 of 14887 Old 08-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post

Saw the HL-T6187S at Sears.

It was mounted on the top row, bottom was at least 6' so I was looking up at it.

The corners were very dimmer than the center of the screen. Not just deep into the corners but maybe 50% from the center of the screen the corners started getting dim.

Right next to it on the same row was a plasma, don't know which one, the brightness was the same across the screen.

Was I seeing this dimming because the screen was so far above me?

Finally got to see it at CC, sitting on a stand, MUCH BETTER!

The sweet spot is definitely sitting directly in front of it and being eye level. Shifting up / down or to the side caused it to dim, but at least it dimmed evenly across the screen.

Samsung Plasma TV FAQ - read it, learn it, live it.
post #4565 of 14887 Old 08-10-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradylackey View Post

I wondered the same thing and since it weighs 75 pounds this is an excellent solution. Both brackets hit studs in wall and the glass is 5 sixteenth inch thick and 15 inches deep and 54 inches wide

samsung makes mounts similar to what you made actually. i forget the model # but i have it in my samsung 2007 product book at work at samsung parts. Not alot of people were actually fond of the wall mount for the dlp so they had put out more actually tv stands then wall mounts. but we do sell them.

my tv arrives from NVC on 8/14. i cant wait, just intime for madden 08
post #4566 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 07:06 AM

[quote=fetto]samsung makes mounts similar to what you made actually. i forget the model # but i have it in my samsung 2007 product book at work at samsung parts. Not a lot of people were actually fond of the wall mount for the dlp so they had put out more actually tv stands then wall mounts. but we do sell them.

This is the first time I heard of a mount for the Samsung. The one I made was from things I had in the garage collecting dust,(FREE). I would still be interested in the information about the Sammy.

I would like to point out the height of this wallmount stand is 21.75 inches. I had read somewhere the manufactured stands are between 19 and 21 inches high. Now this is the really interesting part. As I begin to sit on the couch and my eye level passes from above the TV to just a few inches below the center of the screen, I see the bright spot at that center point. Now I am glad I mounted this TV just a little higher because the picture looks perfect below the center point (the so called hotspot) even if I sit on the floor.
post #4567 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 PM

I told the guy at Home Theater Store (the brick and mortar joint, not the online one) that I did all my research and I wanted the H-LT5089S. Very pleased with the price $2199 (couldn't find a better price online). I was firm that my Monoprice cables would be MORE than enough to get the quality needed for Blu-ray and HD Cable viewing (but wow they tried). This was the only brick-and-mortar store in Houston, that I could find, that sold the 89 series. He didn't even talk about the service plan seeing as the LED bulb gives it a much longer lifespan. The Samsung piano-black stand was 600 bucks! I told him I'd find it somewhere else.

I'll keep everyone posted after I get it calibrated and setup properly.

PM me if you know of a place that sells appropriately priced TV stands
I'm not going to get this bad-boy 'till two weeks but I'd like to have something to put it on before it gets here.
post #4568 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe83 View Post

The Samsung piano-black stand was 600 bucks! I told him I'd find it somewhere else.

I'll keep everyone posted after I get it calibrated and setup properly.

PM me if you know of a place that sells appropriately priced TV stands
I'm not going to get this bad-boy 'till two weeks but I'd like to have something to put it on before it gets here.

i bought the silver lacquer one that matched my HLM 61" and it was $599 whcih I thought was expensive. However, when it arrived, I could see why it was so expensive. The finish was superb, it weighs 50 lbs, and it was as long as the set so I am able to fit my HD-DVD, Bravo-D1, TVIX, PS3, PS2 and a center channel! It the perfect height so that the viewer's eyes are almost perfectly centered...

When I sold my set, there was no way I was getting rid of it! Now a piano black shiny finish must be a bear to keep clean.....
post #4569 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 03:00 PM

Did Eliab reduce the footlamberts of the tv? I've always thought this thing was too backlit, which is noticable in darker scenes with the lights off. I also read on the C-net review that they reduced the footlamberts to 60, which I think would help my set, but have no idea how you would go about doing it.
post #4570 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I would just like to add that on my 5687, the picture mode always reverts back to Dynamic when I change inputs or power off. However, all other picture settings (ie contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc.) remain the same except for this movie mode.

I double checked mine and it is the same. I just have to change the picture mode and then it's ok.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #4571 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 03:30 PM

Hello all..

So, today I purchased the HL-T5687S, and so far so good... although next week is when directv comes and hooks up my HD-DVR... so, right now all I have going is SDTV and DVD's via an upconverting player through an HDMI cable... SDTV looks, OK... some stations better than others... and the upconverting standard DVD's look pretty darn good...

A couple of quick things... first of all, I too seem to have the problem where the TV defaults to the "Dynamic" mode, as opposed to leaving it on whatever I had it on prior to shutting down... anyone have a clue to get around this?? I really hope it's not a defect...

I am experiencing some standard bulb projector burn-plasticy smell... for some reason I just assumed I wouldn't with the LED... how long does it last? or is there truly something wrong?

I'm sure I'll have a zillion other questions as time goes by, but as of right now, I'm a pretty happy camper..

thanks for your time folks,
TallGuyMe
post #4572 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post

... I too seem to have the problem where the TV defaults to the "Dynamic" mode, as opposed to leaving it on whatever I had it on prior to shutting down... anyone have a clue to get around this?? I really hope it's not a defect...

My recollection from prior posts in this thread is that the problem is due to a defective new version of the firmware. The fix is to call Samsung and have their service contractor guy visit you and using his USB thumb drive flash the firmware back to a prior version that allows the mode settings to stick.

My HLT5689S does not have this problem, so I guess I have the older firmware.

Avio
post #4573 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradylackey View Post

I wondered the same thing and since it weighs 75 pounds this is an excellent solution. Both brackets hit studs in wall and the glass is 5 sixteenth inch thick and 15 inches deep and 54 inches wide

How far is your set from the wall ?

From the owners manual :

When installing the product, make sure to keep it away
from the wall (more than 10cm / 4inches) for ventilation
purposes. Poor ventilation may cause an increase in
the internal temperature of the product, resulting in a
shortened component life and degraded performance.
post #4574 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 04:47 PM

where is the tilt adjustment in the service menu located?? I apologize in advance if this has already been covered, i just havent had time to look thru all the posts...any help is greatly appreciated!
post #4575 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadache View Post

Did Eliab reduce the footlamberts of the tv? I've always thought this thing was too backlit, which is noticable in darker scenes with the lights off. I also read on the C-net review that they reduced the footlamberts to 60, which I think would help my set, but have no idea how you would go about doing it.

yes he did! and I felt it myself, when a fully white screen came on it would burn my eyes out

it was reduced a fraction though

Also, I highly recommend a "bias light" I use a lumagen 65K, it's not too bright and not too dark
post #4576 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopino View Post

where is the tilt adjustment in the service menu located?? I apologize in advance if this has already been covered, i just havent had time to look thru all the posts...any help is greatly appreciated!

my screen is skewed about 1/8 of an inch and there is NO adjustment (at least without tearing it all apart)

which means if you took a ruler and measured the letterbox..one side is slightly higher up than the other ..It's very slight and unless you look for it, unnoticable

like the focus, which also is not perfect...you kinda get the center cleared up and hope for the edges..again, unless you look for it, it is really unnoticeable

but to see it during the calibration, is worth the price!
post #4577 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 05:48 PM

samsung used to have the tilt adjustment in the user menu but now its gone, i was just wondering if it was in the service menu at all, man that sucks...i have a hl-t5687s...and i noticed the reflections on mine that were brought up tons of posts back by Kagaden....wondering if it will get worse on my set hopefully not....any more info about that?
post #4578 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeorge999 View Post

my screen is skewed about 1/8 of an inch and there is NO adjustment (at least without tearing it all apart)

which means if you took a ruler and measured the letterbox..one side is slightly higher up than the other ..It's very slight and unless you look for it, unnoticable

like the focus, which also is not perfect...you kinda get the center cleared up and hope for the edges..again, unless you look for it, it is really unnoticeable

but to see it during the calibration, is worth the price!

Be careful...the only way to adjust the tilt is to open up the back (usually done by a tech) and they will adjust a few screws on the light engine to tilt it. It takes two people though...one in front to tell the tech when it looks good. Not as easy as it sounds though. When I had a tech do it on my former HL-S he messed a lot of other things up. He fixed the tilt, but to center the picture I was almost at the limits of both the horizontal and vertical adjustment. He also reset the TV and the picture looked a lot worse than it did before. If it doesn't bother you...I would leave it.
post #4579 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, we'll soon get our comparison between the new Samsung and new Sony. Someone has just received their A3000.
post #4580 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 06:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

samsung used to have the tilt adjustment in the user menu but now its gone ...

You must be referring to Samsung CRT models.

The adjustment for tilt on a DLP set has to be done by moving the light engine in relation to the screen. There have never been user or service menu controls to do tilt adjustment. Such electronic controls are not possible with DLP technology.
post #4581 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 06:46 PM

yes i was talking about samsung crt's...i have a 26" HD ready crt.....so yea i am a nood...lol so is the reflection that i mentioned known as a "hot spot"?? is it something i should be concerned about?
post #4582 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 07:24 PM

how common are the prismatic reflections with these sets?
post #4583 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBliss View Post

How far is your set from the wall ?

From the owners manual :

When installing the product, make sure to keep it away
from the wall (more than 10cm / 4inches) for ventilation
purposes. Poor ventilation may cause an increase in
the internal temperature of the product, resulting in a
shortened component life and degraded performance.

I wonder if the owners manual is talking about this TV or a 46 CRT they made in 1995? LOLOLOLMAO. Ya you all know what I'm talkin' bout.
post #4584 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 07:26 PM

is it easily fixable by a samsung technician? I just got my set yesterday off an online retailer that is a samsung authorized dealer.
post #4585 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 07:26 PM

here i just took a pic of the prismatic reflection while watching 300 on Blu-Ray
post #4586 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... so is the reflection that i mentioned known as a "hot spot"?? is it something i should be concerned about?

No. A "reflection" caused by external light incidenting thru the screen and reflected internally can be eliminated by removing the external light source or repositioning the display relative to the light source. A "hot spot," as generally referred to, is the result of the optics (light source, lenses, mirrors, phosphors, etc.) causing a position/area of the screen to be illuminated more (or produce more light output) than the rest of the screen. Changing the environment of the set does not eliminate the hot spot, though it could alter the viewer's ability to see it. Should you be concerned about a reflection? Only if it bothers you or interfers with your viewing pleasure.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #4587 of 14887 Old 08-11-2007, 08:12 PM

thanks donb1948, so ur telling me it is the environment the tv is in not a defective part that is causing that prismatic half circle reflection in the lower center of the screen during dark scenes?
post #4588 of 14887 Old 08-12-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonya View Post

How do you mount this up on the wall?

Samsung claims this is wall mountable - but I don't see anywhere on the rear to connect a mount...

Also - does anyone have the Samsung stand? Can you post up pics...?

I am not sure if I want to go with the stand or mount it on a half wall - or from the wall itself...

Let me know how / why Samsung claims this to be a wall mountable unit - but does not offer anything to actually do it...

I'm Not sure why Samsung states that. But you also have to remember that you will need 4 inches of space behind the tv to allow for proper ventilation of the tv according to the manual.

jim
post #4589 of 14887 Old 08-12-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:

here i just took a pic of the prismatic reflection while watching 300 on Blu-Ray

I don't see what your talking about. The spot you circled is completely black.
post #4590 of 14887 Old 08-12-2007, 12:43 PM

I am thinking about getting this set, the 61inch 87s and was wondering how it performs for gaming? I play xbox360 and this set would be going downstairs with recessed lighting. Would the light be an issue?
Is there lag?
I really want to know how it compares to the 1080p 82u sharps (which is also high on my list)?
Will the 360 look better on the dlp or lcd, the same?
Also, please post pics of this tv running xbox 360 games if possible....i would love to see what it can do. By the way, i did go to store but i think the 360 was setup wrong!!

thanks
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page