2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4591 of 14956 Old 08-12-2007, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keell View Post

I don't see what your talking about. The spot you circled is completely black.

It shows up when there is an all black screen with some bright image above it, i used Kagaden's reflective test image....and i also took a shot while in counter-strike source with my PC hooked up with a DVi-HDMI cable at 1920 x 1080 resolution, so some external source light is reflecting through the screen and then reflecting onto the back of the screen to cause this prism effect? I am really hopeing it is not a defect with the light engine...as Kagaden was having the same effect happen on his 61"......please shed some light for me, thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 14956 Old 08-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mholtz2j View Post

Will the 360 look better on the dlp or lcd, the same?
Also, please post pics of this tv running xbox 360 games if possible....i would love to see what it can do. By the way, i did go to store but i think the 360 was setup wrong!!

thanks

I don't have an xbox but the PS3 looks awesome on the 6189. IMHO an LCD looks better than a DLP just in general, from the viewing angle to the crispness of games played on the PS3 like Resistance Fall of Man. But, it still looks awesome especially if you compare the price difference to a 61" DLP vs a 61" LCD 1080P screen. If money were no object or a 61" 1080P LCD panel was the same price as a 61" DLP I would definatey go with the 1080P LCD but since there is a substantial price difference I chose the 6189 and am extremely happy with my decision.

post #4593 of 14956 Old 08-12-2007, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopino View Post

thanks donb1948, so ur telling me it is the environment the tv is in not a defective part that is causing that prismatic half circle reflection in the lower center of the screen during dark scenes?

No, I'm not saying that. My response was only to distinguish btwn a "reflection" and a "hot spot," and whether you should be concerned if it were a reflection. I had not seen your photographs when I wrote that. When I looked at your first photograph, I did not see anything. However, your second photograph looks just like one published earlier where the poster indicated that a tech concluded that the reflection originated internally.

Here's a quick test. Turn out all of the lights in the room (wait till dark, if you must) to ensure no external light is hitting the screen. In total darkness, bring up your test pattern. If the prismatic pattern disappears, the reflection originates externally (i.e., function of the environment). If you see the "reflection" then it originates internally, either as a reflection or a direct light leak onto the screen (neither of which is called a "hot spot"). Internal reflections/light leaks could be considered a defect, especially if it is not apparent on other displays of the same model. However, tracking the source of the stray light can be difficult. In some cases, folks have lined the inside of the displays with a light absorbing material if the problem is a reflection.

On the other hand, regardless of whether it's external or internal reflection, a light leak, or a defect, if it bothers you, exchange the set. Why suffer the aggravation? FWIW

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #4594 of 14956 Old 08-12-2007, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mholtz2j View Post

I am thinking about getting this set, the 61inch 87s and was wondering how it performs for gaming? I play xbox360 and this set would be going downstairs with recessed lighting. Would the light be an issue?
Is there lag?
I really want to know how it compares to the 1080p 82u sharps (which is also high on my list)?
Will the 360 look better on the dlp or lcd, the same?
Also, please post pics of this tv running xbox 360 games if possible....i would love to see what it can do. By the way, i did go to store but i think the 360 was setup wrong!!

thanks

My HL-T5689S is great with the Xbox 360 Elite via HDMI. I had to turn down the brightness from the defaults because it was about to burn out my retinas...hehe....so I don't think that your lighting will be an issue. There is no lag when playing Xbox360 games that I have noticed. What kind of photos are you looking for?
post #4595 of 14956 Old 08-12-2007, 05:01 PM

thanks Donb1948 i'll test it out tonight when it is dark, if it persists during that time, i am making a service call to Samsung, its only 2 days old, i recieved the unit on Friday the 10th of August!
post #4596 of 14956 Old 08-12-2007, 05:03 PM

UPDATE: Got my 61HLT87 TV repaired in which it only took about 10 days, to diag, order parts and install parts. Here's my thoughts on comparing it to last years 61"HLS model that I had:

PROS

-Flesh tones much more accurate
-a bit of green push out of the box but can be calibrated out
-there were a few scenes of HD material where I would see artifacts, sparkles etc and yet now on all of those exact scenes they are crystal clean
-4:3 geometry is near perfect as far as I can tell
-deeper blacks

CONS

It appears that it does not deinterlace very well at all. If I bring in an HD signal through at 1080i (even HD NET)I see slight motion blur and flicker, almost as if the picture is smearing. I was watching hockey and at the faceoff you can see all the cuts in the ice. As the camera moves over just slightly and not even that quickly, the cuts and detail of the ice disappear and then reappear when the camera stops moving again. Very annoying.

For HD DVDs if I bring them in as 1080i I see the same effect. Switch to 1080P and all that nonsense stops, and the detail is very clean even through movement.

If I set my HD Cable box to 720P output, again that strange motion blur is about 90% gone. My original 61HLS looked no different through 1080i or 1080P.

In EVERY other aspect the TV looks incredible especially the Xbox360 however it appears all those HD movies on cable look pretty crappy now not to mention football, which was never the case with my HLS.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Is this normal or should I call a tech to look at it?
post #4597 of 14956 Old 08-12-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:

It shows up when there is an all black screen with some bright image above it, i used Kagaden's reflective test image....

I have this same problem with my TV. I reported it to a tech who was servicing my TV who just said he didn't know what it was and shrugged it off. Defect occurs with Cable and PS3 sources as well as multiple dvd/blu-ray disc sources. I believe it is the optics/projector reflecting off the mirror on the inside of the TV.

Since then the Tv doesn't stay on. NEw tech /new service center came out and looked at the tv turning off/on problem. He ordered a new motherboard and optics. Not sure if he did that for the turning on/off problem or the halo problem as well as I could only show him the picture I took of the defect and couldn't actually show him the problem as the TV wouldn't stay on.

On my TV the greenish (rainbow colored if you get close to it) shows up at about 10 o'clock. That one if the most prominent one. It also ocosionally shows up at 2, 4 and 7 o'clock positions. When the first tech had my screen off toe replace it the optics/projector on the inside is inside a rectangular shaped dome with rounded corners. Those 4 rainbows/halo things that appear are in the outline of that dome/globe thing and if you take the side circle panel off and pause your DADVD/blu-ray at where the defect appears you will see a greenish glow around the corners of the dome.

The tech who was out felt it was the optics and said he would contact engineering about it. I will get more details on if he did anything about following up on the issue. Although he was much more familiar with lamp based models. I had to point out that it was LED based after he told me he had to replace the lamp. Although he was not like the first tech who just shrugged it off. SO hopefully he is following up on it.
post #4598 of 14956 Old 08-12-2007, 06:59 PM

yes Slaizer2000 please keep me posted, i wonder how many sets r like this and that maybe people r not noticing it. I didn't notice it the first day i had the tv which was Friday, i then noticed it on Saturday (yesterday) when watching wedding crashers on my PS3, and now i see it whenever there is a dark scene with a bright light above the lower center of the screen, then the "prism halos" appear. I want to contact samsung about it, however, i dont want something worse to happen after they service it. It sucks because it is the only thing that bothers me about my set...just knowing it happens upsets me.
post #4599 of 14956 Old 08-12-2007, 07:38 PM

Is it better to use just scan or 16:9 when watching HD signals. GJN

gjn
post #4600 of 14956 Old 08-12-2007, 07:59 PM

it says when you choose the option to use it for full hd signals, so i would use it and see how it looks versus 16:9
post #4601 of 14956 Old 08-12-2007, 09:59 PM

Hi Guys,

I am new on this board and I am really a newbie about all this. I bought this television 1 month ago and I am happy with it. I have read the board but I still have questions. It would be really great if you could help me.

1- I see so many options with the TV for the quality of the picture that I really dont know what to choose. I have played with it a lot but I cant find the best solution. Do you guys have any idea what are the best calibration for this TV? Like this, I will be able to watch a movie without stopping it every 5 minutes to do testing.

2- When I watch HD TV, it indicates in the info the resolution + the i. However, when I watch a Blue-ray disk via my PS3, it always indicate just the resolution without the letter P. Is it normal?

3- In some blue-ray movies (via ps3 on HDMI), I somethimes get a kind of grainy picture. Dont know how to explain it. Its like a little snow on the image. I watched 300 tonight and I could notice it easely. Is it normal? A way to change that in my TV setting?

Like I said earlier, thanks again. I really appreciate any help. BTW, I have the 89 model.
post #4602 of 14956 Old 08-12-2007, 10:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwhat View Post

1- I see so many options with the TV for the quality of the picture that I really dont know what to choose. I have played with it a lot but I cant find the best solution. Do you guys have any idea what are the best calibration for this TV? Like this,

Use the calibration link at the bottom of my post. There are links there that will take you to suggestions for owner calibration.

Quote:

2- When I watch HD TV, it indicates in the info the resolution + the i.

Some HDTV channels are always 1080i and others (ABC, Fox, and ESPN) are always 720p. If you never see 720p then your set top box must be configured to always output 1080i.

Quote:

However, when I watch a Blue-ray disk via my PS3, it always indicate just the resolution without the letter P. Is it normal?

If there is no "i" then the default is "p" for progressive. BR movies are stored on the disk as 1080p@24Hz.

Quote:

3- In some blue-ray movies (via ps3 on HDMI), I somethimes get a kind of grainy picture. Dont know how to explain it. Its like a little snow on the image. I watched 300 tonight and I could notice it easely. Is it normal? A way to change that in my TV setting?

Some movies are grainy for dramatic effect. 300 is known to be one of those movies. If you watch the Matrix movies, they have a green tint whenever the characters are in the Matrix. That was done so that the audience would know when they were watching the Matrix action and when they were watching the "real" word.
post #4603 of 14956 Old 08-13-2007, 06:12 AM

All...Thanks again for helping out a newbie like me! I have another question for the group...

I have a HLT 5687S connected from a Scientific Atlanta cable box with component cables and I get a really loud humming noise when watching tv in component mode. I have to have the volume turned up to 25+ to drown out the humming noise. Then, if there isn't any sound coming from the set, the humming will be noticed again. This annoying humming noise is even noticeable if I mute the TV, so it makes me think it isn't something with the speakers (I had this problem with another off-brand LCD HD TV and I could mute the speakers and run the sound through my other speakers).

I don't seem to notice the humming as much when in HDMI mode for watching a DVD.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
post #4604 of 14956 Old 08-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yes Slaizer2000 please keep me posted, i wonder how many sets r like this and that maybe people r not noticing it. I didn't notice it the first day i had the tv which was Friday, i then noticed it on Saturday (yesterday) when watching wedding crashers on my PS3, and now i see it whenever there is a dark scene with a bright light above the lower center of the screen, then the "prism halos" appear. I want to contact samsung about it, however, i dont want something worse to happen after they service it. It sucks because it is the only thing that bothers me about my set...just knowing it happens upsets me.

Ditto. I've had this TV for about a month and I have the exact "white marks" as you in the exact same spot. It's the only issue I have with the TV as well. I'll live with it as long as it doesn't get larger.

Samsung HL-T6187S
Yamaha RX-V863
LG BH200 Super Blu Player
post #4605 of 14956 Old 08-13-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLegend View Post

Ditto. I've had this TV for about a month and I have the exact "white marks" as you in the exact same spot. It's the only issue I have with the TV as well. I'll live with it as long as it doesn't get larger.

It's annoying as I seem to find myself looking for it when dark scenes appear. Not a deal breaker as the TV is still good with the defect. It may be a design flaw/limitation. I think someone months ago who bought this TV when they first game out had blue-ish/white ones and returned his TV. Don't recall if he got a different one and resolved it. But since the Color seems to vary from TV to TV for those who have the defect I would consider it to be a defect in the optic/globe dome thing that is doing this. Possibly the dome piece is not allowing all the light to pass through or is defracting it in some way to cause the globe/dome thing to glow a certain color which makes it reflect off the mirror.

Hopefully the tech/engineers can resolve it, if not I will just live with it.

Right now I'm more concerned about the TV not working at all. I have a bunch of Blu-ray movies and PS3 games i've held off watching/playing as to not ruin the experience using a standard TV to watch/play them.

I'll update everyone wed/thur when I have an answer about the green halo/prism effect.
post #4606 of 14956 Old 08-13-2007, 08:35 AM

Can someone please enlighten me? I recently bought a 5087S and love it for the most part. One thing I did notice is uneven focus, especially in the upper left quadrant. What causes the focus to be uneven like that? Is something warped? One other thing that bugs particularly is the color convergence seems to be off as you move away from the center? In the corners there is apparent red and green ghosting around bright objects (I cant recall which one is which but either red or green ghosts toward the center and the other ghosts away from it), although it is not extreme. My friend has the 6187S and his set loses focus as you move away from the crisp right side over to the left. He also has the same color alignment issue. Samsung sent a 3rd party tech out and he was clueless. He said this was "normal" and could not be adjusted and then started talking about color wheels and such (Ugh). These problems wouldnt be classified as severe but attaching a PC for gaming or as an HTPC makes these issues very apparent. Icons or text displayed in the upper left doesn't look so hot. Is this just par for the course on these or can the colors and focus actually be tweaked by a skilled technician despite what the last one said since he was clearly unfamiliar with the LED models.
post #4607 of 14956 Old 08-13-2007, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the answer about my questions.

2 times since the last month, I lost all my settings and they came back. I think that the 2 times, I was playing with the source button for switching between my many machines. Any one got that? A way to solve that?

thanks
post #4608 of 14956 Old 08-13-2007, 07:53 PM

I know that avical does calibration, but is there a way to find a local company that does calibration as well? I am in the Washington DC area, so not local to the calibration experts that avical offers. Any information?

Thanks!
post #4609 of 14956 Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 PM

well i called Samsung today regarding the "prism halo" reflection problem some sets are having including mine, and they told me to reset the tv....i did that and nothing, just as i expected because it is an optical malfunction of some sort, so tomorrow i will be scheduling a service tech to come out in my area, however i have already read a bad review concerning the company that samsung told me to call for my service call, so i hope they don't dick me around, because i sure as hell am not in the mood for that considering the set is only 3 days old! At any event i will keep everyone posted about the problem and how or if it can be fixed....wish me luck guys!!
post #4610 of 14956 Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by utter23 View Post

I know that avical does calibration, but is there a way to find a local company that does calibration as well? I am in the Washington DC area, so not local to the calibration experts that avical offers.

I'm sure that Eliab of Avical does tours in your area every year. Ask him.
post #4611 of 14956 Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 PM

Does everyone of these sets have a green push? Is there any way to correct it without going into the service menu?
post #4612 of 14956 Old 08-14-2007, 04:09 AM

HTWAITS For watching HD content on Comcast, should I use 16:9 or just scan on my HLT5687? Instruction manual does a poor job of explaining this. GJN

gjn
post #4613 of 14956 Old 08-14-2007, 06:01 AM

Quote:

well i called Samsung today regarding the "prism halo" reflection problem some sets are having including mine, and they told me to reset the tv....i did that and nothing, just as i expected because it is an optical malfunction of some sort, so tomorrow i will be scheduling a service tech to come out in my area, however i have already read a bad review concerning the company that samsung told me to call for my service call, so i hope they don't dick me around, because i sure as hell am not in the mood for that considering the set is only 3 days old! At any event i will keep everyone posted about the problem and how or if it can be fixed....wish me luck guys!!

I reported a screen problem and the halo/prism problem to samsung within the 30 day return window of the online seller. After the tech came out and couldn't fix the halo issue I called samsung to replace the TV since it was now outside the 30 return period and I couldn't return it to the online retailer.

Samsung said it was my fault I didn't return the TV during the 30 day period and that now I would have to wait for them to fix the issues as they wouldn't replace the TV.

Whatever you do, if the tech cannot fix the issues be sure to return the TV within your retailers 30 day window. Even if they have parts on order, if they cannot get the parts before the 30 day window and get them installed you will be taking a huge chance assuming it will be fixed. Otherwise you will have to live with waiting for Sasmung/service to diagnose the problem and fix the TV.
post #4614 of 14956 Old 08-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesK1d View Post

Can someone please enlighten me? I recently bought a 5087S and love it for the most part. One thing I did notice is uneven focus, especially in the upper left quadrant. What causes the focus to be uneven like that? Is something warped? One other thing that bugs particularly is the color convergence seems to be off as you move away from the center? In the corners there is apparent red and green ghosting around bright objects (I cant recall which one is which but either red or green ghosts toward the center and the other ghosts away from it), although it is not extreme. My friend has the 6187S and his set loses focus as you move away from the crisp right side over to the left. He also has the same color alignment issue. Samsung sent a 3rd party tech out and he was clueless. He said this was "normal" and could not be adjusted and then started talking about color wheels and such (Ugh). These problems wouldnt be classified as severe but attaching a PC for gaming or as an HTPC makes these issues very apparent. Icons or text displayed in the upper left doesn't look so hot. Is this just par for the course on these or can the colors and focus actually be tweaked by a skilled technician despite what the last one said since he was clearly unfamiliar with the LED models.

My old HL-S6187 had this, and was made better with a little tweak of the focus knob in the back of the set. It didn't relieve it completely, though. Fortunately, I had the set replaced/upgraded by Samsung for that and a couple other reasons. See TECH LINKS for the instructions on focus adjustment. Requires TWO people!

Cheers,
Doc
post #4615 of 14956 Old 08-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

If you are the insatiable "tweaker" and don't have a ton of money, and would rather "Hot Rod" your own TV than someone else... this is the guide for you.

This "Dummies and Cheapskate's Guide" is used to calibrate contrast, brightness, basic color, CIE color triangle calibration, greyscale tracking; all using the Service Menu. It allows you to calibrate the "Default" modes to correct CIE reference standards, allowing you to reset the calibrated defaults in the user menu, if someone changes the values. This also has the advantage of not having to change video settings after exiting the Service Menu (finally!)

You thought your picture looked good now...wait til it is calibrated to "Spot-on" CIE reference standards. It's like sitting in the theater again with perfect blacks, whites, skin tones, sky colors, etc.

Equipment will cost you less than $75 (Spyder2 probe and GetGray calibration DVD, Blue Filter) and a couple nights in a dark room. You will need a nearby computer or laptop to hook up the probe and possibly a USB extension cable.

Service Menu Calibration for Dummies and Cheapskates

It was written for my HL-"S" 6188W and my future reference, but thought I'd share it with the other geek tweakers out there. I've read the Service Menu is similar for the HL-T version, so offer it in this forum for your perusal. Of course, if it's significantly different, it's up to you to use at your discretion.

Cheers!

Doc

Please heed legal disclaimer in the guide... you can inadvertantly cause problems to your television requiring an expensive "Professional" fix or void your warranty... yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah.
post #4616 of 14956 Old 08-14-2007, 08:50 AM

Still no answers for these questions !???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha freak View Post

For the questions now:

I red somewhere on the topic (around page 147 ??) that the "DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)" on the set only sent stereo digital sound ?? If I understand the manual correctly (page 16) it says : "5.1CH audio is possible when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1CH."

So, according to the manual, if all sources connected to the TV set via HDMI, and a optical wire is connected to my receiver from the optical out from the TV, I should get 5.1 or 6.1 sound if available from a DVD player or any other source that has a 5.1 audio ?

Also, I have an older Toshiba DVD player that doesn't do progressive scan(but connected with component cable), do I need a upscaling DVD player? or the TV will upscale the 480i signal ?

post #4617 of 14956 Old 08-14-2007, 09:50 AM

For those of you with home stereos, what have you done in regards to the center channel with this TV?

I was pondering using a Omnimount CCH shelf to mount my MB Quart center channel on top of the TV, but now that I have my TV and I see how lightweight the shell is & how little pressure can effect the geometry, I'm afraid that the weight of my speaker will be too much of an issue.

The two other options I can think of are to use a speaker stand behind the TV or to put it on the floor and angle it upwards. Unfortunately, I only have about 7" of space behind the TV on my tv stand at the max, and it would need to be about 3' high to clear the top of the TV...which would be a tough combo given the weight/size of the speaker.

Does anyone have any other novel ideas? For those that angle their center chans upwards, how is the sound?
post #4618 of 14956 Old 08-14-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrings View Post

My old HL-S6187 had this, and was made better with a little tweak of the focus knob in the back of the set. It didn't relieve it completely, though. Fortunately, I had the set replaced/upgraded by Samsung for that and a couple other reasons. See TECH LINKS for the instructions on focus adjustment. Requires TWO people!

Cheers,
Doc

You are the man! Thanks for responding. Do the HL-T models have this same focus adjustment? The tech stated there was nothing to be done on these LEDs. Also, does one knob adjust the overall focus (one corner is the worst)? Do you know what is responsible for aligning the colors in these LED models? My color convergence drifts out slightly as you move away from the center.
post #4619 of 14956 Old 08-14-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No...actually to do the focus adjustment, you'll need one person to go to the back of the TV and open it up to gain accessibility to the light engine. On the light engine...near the lens is a small dial. Someone else will need to be at the front of the TV with it on to direct the person in back which way to go with the focus dial. That is what was done for the HL-S...someone there even posted pictures of what to do. Look in the HLS XX87/88 techlinks thread.
post #4620 of 14956 Old 08-14-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizz81 View Post

For those of you with home stereos, what have you done in regards to the center channel with this TV?

I was pondering using a Omnimount CCH shelf to mount my MB Quart center channel on top of the TV, but now that I have my TV and I see how lightweight the shell is & how little pressure can effect the geometry, I'm afraid that the weight of my speaker will be too much of an issue.

The two other options I can think of are to use a speaker stand behind the TV or to put it on the floor and angle it upwards. Unfortunately, I only have about 7" of space behind the TV on my tv stand at the max, and it would need to be about 3' high to clear the top of the TV...which would be a tough combo given the weight/size of the speaker.

Does anyone have any other novel ideas? For those that angle their center chans upwards, how is the sound?

I saw some people that uses a 20" speaker stand and simply add a wider painted woodplank that is bolted to the stand with a little upward angle , then the stand is placed in front of the TV set ...
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page