post #451 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 05:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozirry View Post

The recent user review of the HLT LED based noting significant rainbows is actually turning me off of the set.

I think you may be misreading the reported rainbow sightings. Give it some time, and the LED rainbow issue will clear up. In any case it's what you see, not what someone else sees that important with rainbows.

Quote:

Could you please post a pic of the windows XP startup screen that shows the rainbow effect?

What people are describing as rainbows can't be photographed. If you can take a picture of what you are seeing it's not what's referred to as a rainbow here at AVS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI, for those debating on whether or not HDMI 1.3 cables exist or are needed, I found this info on the monoprice.com website:

Question: What version of HDMI compliance are Monoprice HDMI Cables?
Answer: Our current cables are 1.2a

Question: What resolutions will Monoprice HDMI Cables support?
Answer: They have been tested to pass signals up to 1080p

Question: Will Monoprice cables work with my PS3 or other 1.3 version devices?
Answer: Yes, our cables will work with 1.3 version devices and pass a video signal up to 1080p. They will not however support the newer high resolution audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD audio when they eventually become implemented.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...1&format=6#faq
post #453 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I think you may be misreading the reported rainbow sightings. Give it some time, and the LED rainbow issue will clear up. In any case it's what you see, not what someone else sees that important with rainbows.

What people are describing as rainbows can't be photographed. If you can take a picture of what you are seeing it's not what's referred to as a rainbow here at AVS.

Correct, this is a dual rainbow that always appears in the same location and will definitely be able to be photographed. I plan to do so tonight. I don't want to get anyone worked up about this. It's exceedingly subtle, rare to come by, and may just be a defect in my set. I have never seen it while watching anything but the following:

-Windows XP startup screen via VGA. (Black background with a white windows logo and loading bar)

-Paper Mario via Component. (Level begin screen. Black background with rainbow lettering across the top)

I saw it once when messing around with my PS2 via Component for a split second as I was testing content to find it.

This may simply be a defect in my set as no other users have seen it yet.
post #454 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Hello...

Any of you guyys has idea when these tvs will be available in the big stores (bb or cc)

thanks...

LNT4665F 1009/1032
PS3
HT-X50 Samsung
post #455 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaleon View Post

Hello...

Any of you guyys has idea when these tvs will be available in the big stores (bb or cc)

thanks...

my local Ultimate Electronics says this Friday.
post #456 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaleon View Post

Hello...

thanks...

Two BB/Magnolias I've talked to have said 4/22. However, they have also both said that they can get one the next day from the local warehouse if need be. It won't hit their floor for display till sometime on or after 4/22.
post #457 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 07:14 PM

The local BB also told me they will get them in on 4/22. They will be on display then or a day or two later. They told me they could order one from the warehouse and have it in 3 days.
post #458 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Can we hear more comments from the owners concerning the SSE? Are these screens any better or worse than the SXRD as far as the SSE?
post #459 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 07:39 PM

Liked: 12
So I was recently informed that the HLT's have a user level Overscan adjustment. I'm told this setting will achieve 1:1 pixel mapping. I believe this was on a HL-T5089. Curious if its on the 87's also. I'm thinking Samsung read the HLS thread.
post #460 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

Can we hear more comments from the owners concerning the SSE? Are these screens any better or worse than the SXRD as far as the SSE?

Last year's LED was better than the SXRDs I saw in person. However, that was likely a function of brightness more than anything. One of the reasons I'm likely going with the 6187S is due to what I saw (or didn't see, rather), in the 5679 LED last year. YMMV. I'd wait to see one in person, myself, if you're wanting to compare the two.
post #461 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

How do these sets compare to the Sharp Aquos?
post #462 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 08:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegashomes View Post

How do these sets compare to the Sharp Aquos?

DLP RPTV sets don't have vertical banding from the back lite, and they are cheaper. The new 1080p 52" Sharp Aquos has a MSRP of about $5,000. DLP also consumes less than half the power of a big LCD flat panel.

There are probably a lot of other differences, but since I can't afford (~$8k) a 58" LCD flat panel, I haven't compared them.
post #463 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle View Post

So I was recently informed that the HLT's have a user level Overscan adjustment. I'm told this setting will achieve 1:1 pixel mapping. I believe this was on a HL-T5089. Curious if its on the 87's also. I'm thinking Samsung read the HLS thread.

Yes, we are aware of this. If you have any inquires about it and when you can and can't use it, check the first post or browse through the still small amount of posts.

I just wish more pics would be posted. If mine does in fact come tom. as it should(it's sitting in Richmond as of this morning) I will posts lots of pics to make everyone happy.

Final HD DVD movie count: 61
HD-A35

Blu Ray: 47
Newest: Batman Begins
PS3

I peed Purple until March '08.
post #464 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 08:41 PM

Please do, this thread really needs more pics to satisfy our curiousity!!
post #465 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

I agree with the other guy that said the 2006 LED from sammy had the better screen. It is by far the clearest I have seen.....local ultimate electronics and magnolia stores both have the 2006 5679 on the floor and its still impressive. I just dont like the old cabinet so waiting for the 2007's.

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
post #466 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpenguin View Post

FYI, for those debating on whether or not HDMI 1.3 cables exist or are needed, I found this info on the monoprice.com website:

Question: What version of HDMI compliance are Monoprice HDMI Cables?
Answer: Our current cables are 1.2a

Question: What resolutions will Monoprice HDMI Cables support?
Answer: They have been tested to pass signals up to 1080p

Question: Will Monoprice cables work with my PS3 or other 1.3 version devices?
Answer: Yes, our cables will work with 1.3 version devices and pass a video signal up to 1080p. They will not however support the newer high resolution audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD audio when they eventually become implemented.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...1&format=6#faq

Idiots... There is no difference between an HDMI 1.1, 1.2, 1.2a, and 1.3 cable. They're all the same unless you consider the 330MHz 1.3 flavor which will be different.
post #467 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigee View Post

If mine does in fact come tom. as it should(it's sitting in Richmond as of this morning) I will posts lots of pics to make everyone happy.

It's good to know my set hasn't been lonesome on it's journey (3 days to go from C-ville to Richmond ??? ... don't they know about 64 ?). Eagle said it arrived in Richmond today and had me call their "agent" to schedule the local delivery. Larry scheduled me for Thurs afternoon (just couldn't talk him into making it happen today).
post #468 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 09:54 PM

What would be the best option for a calibration disk for this LED unit? I have never used a calibration disk before, outside of those simple tools on some of the Lucasfilm/THX DVDs.
post #469 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckeyBoss View Post

My hl-t5089 arrived today! I wont have it hooked up until Friday though..

And you call yourself an AVS Forum member.
post #470 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 PM

Going to order in next few days. I noticed the stand from Samsung is 17.7" high.

I was thinking of getting the Ikea "Lack" stand (in black) which is only 13.75" high:

Would the less then 4" inch make a big differance? The Ikea is a lot cheaper and I like the looks of it.

Couch is fairly low and will be about 10-12 feet away from TV.

Thanks
post #471 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbadger View Post

Going to order in next few days. I noticed the stand from Samsung is 17.7" high.

I was thinking of getting the Ikea "Lack" stand (in black) which is only 13.75" high:

Would the less then 4" inch make a big differance? The Ikea is a lot cheaper and I like the looks of it.

Couch is fairly low and will be about 10-12 feet away from TV.

Thanks

That's actually last year's stand model. This year's model is the TR500X3B, which is 19.7" high. Whether or not it would make a difference, I don't know.
post #472 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 10:19 PM

a b t electronics is place to buy. chat or call to get the price. it's not the website but they had 40 plus at the beginning of the week.

On a different note, my 6189 is arriving tomorrow at 12. What should I use to calibrate it? Is there a disc I can buy?

Thanks to everyone for all help and I hope the great deal listed above helps everyone else get the tv they want.
post #473 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 PM

Update:

Dual Rainbow from Potential Screen Damage
I believe there is a problem with my screen. It has a slight visible distortion on it when looked at from the side. I've managed to get a decent picture of this if you look at the dvd reflection.

Screen Distortion

I also got a picture of the rainbow. I now believe that this dual rainbow is possibly related to the screen. The left one is much easier to see than the right... and the left one barely came out in the photo.

Left Rainbow

Soft Text
I've also noticed tonight that the lower right 6" x 6" of my display is softer than the rest of it. Here are two comparison photos of my win xp calendar at a similar distance, same lighting, and same camera.

Hard Text (Normal text on about 90% of the screen)

Soft Text (Soft text in bottom 6x6 inches of right-hand of the screen)

I believe this is also caused by the screen bowing in ever so slightly in the bottom right corner.

VGA Underscan
The PC autoadjust that was suggested did not fix the underscan on this set. I still have relatively the same amount of underscan as before. I believe the picture is 1:1 based on the sharpness and clarity of the text. I don't know how this is possible but I'd like to hear other owners results with VGA on their sets to see if this is normal.

Pincushin
I measured the pincushin on all sides of the display.
Left side: 1/8th of an inch from top to bottom.
Right side: 1/8th of an inch from bottom to top.
Top: None, perfectly even as far as I could tell.
Bottom: 1/8th of an inch measuring from right to left.

I'm not sure what's normal for these displays but it seems okay to me. Barely perceivable, but let me know if I need to recalculate this or if it's alarming.

More pictures!
1080i HDTV KCET
World of Warcraft 1
World of Warcraft 2

I'm adding my new findings to my original impressions post when I have time so people aren't alarmed by the word "rainbow".
post #474 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with those saying the 89 series isnt worth it- Thatll prob be a 550 CDN dollar difference and i dont know when HDMI 1.3 will be used fully knowing that HD is just starting to rise to its peak time, and PIP and Bluetooth mean nothing for me.

76 or 87 for me, depending on which has better PQ
post #475 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawrenc View Post

On a different note, my 6189 is arriving tomorrow at 12. What should I use to calibrate it? Is there a disc I can buy?

Eliab's starting settings, and DVE tutorial that il linked at the bottom of my post will get you started. Eliab will probably post something for the 2007 model soon.
post #476 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDeveloperDave View Post

I have had several salespeople who I thought I could trust/believe tell me that there is no such thing as an HDMI 1.3 cable, there is just HDMI cable, that the components attached to either side of the cable are a particular version of HDMI and they communicate with each other using their lowest common denominator (the lowest HDMI version drives the whole process). Any comments on this? My set arrives next week and I have not bought cables yet. If there is a difference, I am willing to buy 1.3 cables to be future proof. I plan to get a PS3 which is also HDMI 1.3, so it may be of benefit for that.

Does anyone know... if I'm planning on eventually running a Blu-ray player to an HDMI 1.3 receiver to an HDMI HDTV, does the TV have to have HDMI 1.3 for the BD player to pass Dolby TruHD, etc to the receiver? I think it would be pretty ridiculous if it does, but I thought I'd check...

Please only answer if you definitely know... because I can logically conjecture myself that having an HDMI 1.2 TV in that setup should work. Thanks in advance.
post #477 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 10:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagaden View Post

Update:

Dual Rainbow

I also got a picture of the rainbow. I now believe that this dual rainbow is possibly related to the screen. The left one is much easier to see than the right... and the left one barely came out in the photo.

Left Rainbow

What you have reported and documented is interesting.

In the interest of clarity it might be better if you didn't label them as "rainbow", because, at least at AVS, the term means something else.
post #478 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

What you have reported and documented is interesting.

In the interest of clarity it might be better if you didn't label them as "rainbow", because, at least at AVS, the term means something else.

Agreed. I'm going to heavily edit my original post for the sake of clarity during lunch tomorrow at work. I know it looks blue in the photo but it's definitely wider on the color spectrum. I'm hoping it's merely screen damage and I can get away with having samsung repair it.

It's so incredibly rare when watching anything that I'm fine and can live with it. Actually, EVERYTHING I've reported I can totally live with. It's all very minor and I'm just nit picking. I'm incredibly pleased with my purchase.
post #479 of 14887 Old 04-11-2007, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Dangit I got my TV today but I can't find my stupid AVIA disc.

Kagaden- are you gonna put the latest pictures in your original post?

Thanks,
jon
post #480 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagaden View Post

It's so incredibly rare when watching anything that I'm fine and can live with it. Actually, EVERYTHING I've reported I can totally live with. It's all very minor and I'm just nit picking. I'm incredibly pleased with my purchase.

I couldnt see anything wrong in the photos.....WoW looked great...is that playing at 1920x1080? Text looked clear as a bell.

Think I may be getting a 6189 or 6187 as it looks amazing.....then in a few yrs mabe a 65 inch flat panel...we shall see.

thx again for the photos.

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page