post #4861 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubina View Post

Does anybody have any practical experience with that difference or care to say anything about what it might mean in terms of pc gaming or Internet?

In general, USB 1.1 is capable (from a purely bandwdth consideration) of playing SD movies, photos and mp3 type compressed music. USB 2.0 does all that, and has the bandwidth to play HD movies too.
So, in theory, you could put movies, photos and music on a USB key and play it on both TVs- xx87 and xx89. The movies could be HD for the xx89 series. In practice, the firmware only supports photos and music right now- .jpg and .mp3. In future we may see divX/Xvid (.avi or .mpg) support too, depending on what kind of hardware is attached to the USB ports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstambo View Post

From all of the practical user experience out there, is 9 ft to close for the 6187s? Should I stick with the 56 instead?

i understand its somewhat objective, but the manual says for 61, a minimum of 7.2 ft is needed. But then some people here have said that isnt enough.....opinions please!!!

I sit at about 8f-9ft from my 6187. It's perfect at that distance for me, and of course works even further away too. It really depends on whether your source material is 720P or above. I find 720P at 8-9 ft is great, 1080P is beautiful and 480P is tolerable too.
post #4863 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

I sit at about 8f-9ft from my 6187. It's perfect at that distance for me, and of course works even further away too. It really depends on whether your source material is 720P or above. I find 720P at 8-9 ft is great, 1080P is beautiful and 480P is tolerable too.

I would be viewing primarily Directv HD. So that would be 1080i now, and in the not to distant future, be feeding that into an Onkyo 905 which would upscale to 1080p.

That and DVD's....
post #4864 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

From all of the practical user experience out there, is 9 ft to close for the 6187s? Should I stick with the 56 instead?

i understand its somewhat objective, but the manual says for 61, a minimum of 7.2 ft is needed. But then some people here have said that isnt enough.....opinions please!!!

It all depends. Do you like sitting in the first row of a movie theatre? Then 61 is fine. I sit 15' back from the screen. My old set was a 60" and it was fine. My current loaner is a 50" and it is small but watchable, glad it's a loaner. The89s I'm getting is the 61" so it'll be good. I could easily go bigger. As for 7', the 50" would be fine 56 big 61 too big. I like the center of the theatre.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #4865 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 12:09 PM

I don't like the first row, more of a center of the theater kinda guy. I guess I know that the 56 is the way to go, but it just seems a bit of a shame that its only a few hundred dollars more for the 61.

Wish my room was bigger!!
post #4866 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't like the first row, more of a center of the theater kinda guy. I guess I know that the 56 is the way to go, but it just seems a bit of a shame that its only a few hundred dollars more for the 61.

Wish my room was bigger!!

You could always rationalize it that letterboxed or pillarboxed images will be smaller. Go to the store and borrow a chair and sit 9' from the 61" and see if you can deal with it. Like you said, money is not the issue. Good luck and enjoy whatever you get!

post #4867 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 12:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryBoyUSA View Post

I absolutely loved this TV .... until tonight. We sat down to watch a DVD through our PS3 and began to notice lots of random flickering of sorts, basically a brightening/dimming in a completely random manner. . . . If nobody has a great solution or similar experiences, I'll call Samsung tomorrow and get a repair request started. Thanks!

P.S. I just turned the TV on and when it's not being fed any signal at all, the dark screen switches its hue every second or every few microseconds, almost like the LEDs are outputting their various colors or combinations of colors in a flickering manner without any actual picture being projected. It's so weird and frustrating that this seemingly perfect TV is far from perfect afterall.

This doesn't sound good at all. It sounds like the light engine is failing. I'd recommend returning the set or if you liked what you were seeing before the trouble started and want to reduce the risk that a replacement set could bring new issues, call Samsung to get someone to look at it.
post #4868 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

You could always rationalize it that letterboxed or pillarboxed images will be smaller. Go to the store and borrow a chair and sit 9' from the 61" and see if you can deal with it. Like you said, money is not the issue. Good luck and enjoy whatever you get!

Yes, exactly! I watch mainly movies. Many of them have a 2.35:1, and I was finding that the image was a bit small on the 56", so I sent it back and got the 61" screen. Now letterboxed movies are still a decent size. I have very good vision (with contact lenses on), and 9 ft away from the 61" screen does not give me the front row feeling. It doesn't even cover my whole field of vision, but is just right to give an extra feeling of depth to the screen image.
post #4869 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopino View Post

I have an HL-T5687S with firmware 1012...i tried it with everything in the zip file all extracted to the root of my thumb drive meaning no folders at all just all the files when u open the thumb drive on a PC...could it be that it isn't reading my thumb drive? How can i test if it is recognizing the thumb drive? I really wanna see if this minimizes my halo prism reflection at all and if the 24fps/1080P will work with my PS3 because right now it doesn't work, it is very choppy. Do i need to make a folder named "T-LAURAUS0" and then another within that named "IMAGES" the way it shows the path from within winzip?

Sounds like you unzipped it wrong and lost all the folders. That won't work. You don't need the T-LAURAUS0 directory, you need the files in that directory and the images directory along with it's files. If you're having such trouble with this I would recommend not doing it yourself. Call tech support and have them send someone out.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #4870 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:

In general, USB 1.1 is capable (from a purely bandwdth consideration) of playing SD movies, photos and mp3 type compressed music. USB 2.0 does all that, and has the bandwidth to play HD movies too.
So, in theory, you could put movies, photos and music on a USB key and play it on both TVs- xx87 and xx89. The movies could be HD for the xx89 series. In practice, the firmware only supports photos and music right now- .jpg and .mp3. In future we may see divX/Xvid (.avi or .mpg) support too, depending on what kind of hardware is attached to the USB ports.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I HIGHLY doubt the TV has a processor capable of decoding any high definition content at a playable speed (probably not even standard def either).
post #4871 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesK1d View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath. I HIGHLY doubt the TV has a processor capable of decoding any high definition content at a playable speed (probably not even standard def either).

You're probably right, but some lower end TVs (Prima Cineplus[?]) have had such capabilities in the past.
In any case the USb 2.0 was a feature that wasn't important to me, as my HTPC is the main source of what I watch anyway.
post #4872 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:

I sit 7.5 feet away from my 5687. And I certainly think I could have gone with the bigger screen. For what it's worth...
post #4873 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtunney View Post

This doesn't sound good at all. It sounds like the light engine is failing. I'd recommend returning the set or if you liked what you were seeing before the trouble started and want to reduce the risk that a replacement set could bring new issues, call Samsung to get someone to look at it.

I can't return it, since this one didn't come from any store. It was a brand new unit Samsung sent me in exchange for my HL-S5679W they couldn't fix. So I'll definitely be calling Samsung today to get a service tech out to work on it. It just makes me unhappy how this brand new set, built less than a month ago, is already dying. It was perfect until last night. In fact, it was fine before I went out for dinner, then an hour later after I turned it back on to watch a movie, it began dying a less-than-graceful death. Oh well.
post #4874 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:

I'm confused. I thought a bluray connection to the 87S would play an bluray HD movie in HD. Are you saying in effect that it won't?

And about the "firmware"...I guess firmware can be "upgraded" like software...suggesting any comparative USB 1.1 data rate deficiency might later be resolved with a firmware patch.

Can you clarify?
post #4875 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryBoyUSA View Post

I can't return it, since this one didn't come from any store. It was a brand new unit Samsung sent me in exchange for my HL-S5679W they couldn't fix. So I'll definitely be calling Samsung today to get a service tech out to work on it. It just makes me unhappy how this brand new set, built less than a month ago, is already dying. It was perfect until last night. In fact, it was fine before I went out for dinner, then an hour later after I turned it back on to watch a movie, it began dying a less-than-graceful death. Oh well.

You sound like you inherited my luck!

post #4876 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Rule of thumb for 1080p 16:9 is that the optimum viewing distance is three times the height of the picture. If the picture height is 32 inches, the optimal viewing distance is 96 inches / 8 feet.

This a function of display resolution and human vision / biometrics.

If you sit closer than the optimal distance, you see pixels to some extent; if you sit farther away, you begin to "lose resolution". (Beyond optimal viewing distance, the optimal picture tends to recede to a point.)

I'd rather be slightly inside the optimal viewing distance than beyond it (I like the wider field of view - front row movie effect). I wouldn't like to lose sight of those expensive little pixels because I was sitting too far away to see them.

[quote=i understand its somewhat objective, but the manual says for 61, a minimum of 7.2 ft is needed. But then some people here have said that isnt enough.....opinions please!!![/QUOTE]

The manual is probably right.
post #4877 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
dubina, the USB port on the TV is only used for viewing pictures, listening to music and doing firmware upgrades. It has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with games or video on this TV. It is highly unlikely that the TV has the processor, firmware, software, etc. needed to decode video off the USB drive now or in the future.

Also you can't upgrade USB 1.1 to 2.0 with firmware. The physical hardware is different.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #4878 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

dubina, the USB port on the TV is only used for viewing pictures, listening to music and doing firmware upgrades. It has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with games or video on this TV. It is highly unlikely that the TV has the processor, firmware, software, etc. needed to decode video off the USB drive now or in the future.

Also you can't upgrade USB 1.1 to 2.0 with firmware. The physical hardware is different.

+1 to all of the above. Sorry if anything I said wasn't clear. As I said before, some TVs have built in DivX decoders, but it's unlikely that these Samsungs do. The fact that photos and mp3s don't require huge bandwidth is another reason to mostly discount the USB of the xx89 series as being superior (practically) than that of the xx57 series.
post #4879 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

Sounds like you unzipped it wrong and lost all the folders. That won't work. You don't need the T-LAURAUS0 directory, you need the files in that directory and the images directory along with it's files. If you're having such trouble with this I would recommend not doing it yourself. Call tech support and have them send someone out.

I know how to do it now, i was just selecting all within winzip and dragging and dropping onto my thumb drive...when in fact i needed to just select all and let winzip itself extract to my thumb drive directly once it does that then i can take all the files it puts into T-LAURAUS0 directory and drag them to the root of the thumb drive...hope it works wish me luck!
post #4880 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 02:37 PM

For reference purposes, Amazon is replacing my set due to the "speck" that's being projected onto the screen. If anyone has any qualms about ordering via Amazon, I can say that up to this point their customer service has been excellent. They were very easy to work with in changing payment methods, getting reduced prices applied to my order (twice!), and now replacing the unit (within 30 days). I never even made a phone call - they've responded within 24 hrs every time I've sent them an email.

Good to hear that 1080p/24 seems to be working correctly on the PS3 now!
post #4881 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Samsung makes me laugh...

Called today to check on the status of my thumb drive which I was told by Samsung was shipped to me last Friday and should be within my possession in 2 business days. After being placed on hold 4 separate times "for 3-5 minutes" a supervisor came on to inform me that a thumb drive with a firmware update was actually NOT sent out to me.
The supervisor did say that there is a firmware update that exists for the xx89s but she was not positive as to whether it would fix the "halo prism/rainbow effect" that my set so prominently displays.
She then connected me to my local repair service shop via conference call, asked me if there was anything else she could help with and hung up.
Service shop secretary is having the same tech that was out at my house last week call me to discuss the problem...wow. This is the same tech that told me the "halo prism effect" was due to a compression issue within the television and would be fixed with a firmware update.
Talk about being back at square 1.
post #4882 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 03:27 PM

OK, thanks all for the help, I ordered the 6187s. Should be here on Friday.
So any suggestions for a DVD player that will look great on the new set. I don't care if its HD right now, but either or.

Particularly can anyone offer an opinion on any of the Samsung HD or DVD players. (Thats what my local dealer carriers who I got the set from). Not sold (sorry for the pun) on Samsung, just wondering what others who might have it think.

Thanks for all the help, hope to join the owners circle on Friday...
post #4883 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

update...

Samsung is now sending the firmware update directly to my local service shop. Once it gets there next week a tech will be scheduled to come out to install it.

I look forward to the day when I can watch my new television without having to look at seizure inducing flashes and flickers of rainbow all over the screen.
post #4884 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 03:54 PM

I'm getting my 6187S on Friday and can't wait to see it in action! I am crossing my fingers that it won't have any of the defects mentioned by some people here!

Thanks to everyone here for the invaluable array of information. This forum is what helped me pull the trigger on the 6187S!

Tommy
post #4885 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... any suggestions for a DVD player that will look great on the new set. I don't care if its HD right now, but either or. ...

The new Oppo DV-980H has been very popular in these AVS forums. There's a thread about it. Several LED HLT owners have commented about it in this thread. I'm personally considering getting the 980.

Oppo DV980H
http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/default.asp

Good luck. Avio
post #4886 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

When flipping through my inputs, my TV (HLT6187S) always go through the Air (/Cable) input even though I have nothing plugged in there. I ONCE had an air antenna plugged in just to try it out but don't anymore. Is there a way to keep the TV from flipping through this unused input when cycyling through the sources? I don't know why it goes there since there is nothing plugged in...I thought it didn't go to a source unless it detected something there.

That is the only thing about the TV I really don't like after about 3 months of use...that you have to cycle through the inputs rather than selecting the specific one you want (without going through the menus). I also find it strange that it doesn't detect my HDMI2 (PS3) unless the PS3 is on, but it does detect HDMI1 (DVR) when it's off and the PC input (Xbox 360) when it's off.
post #4887 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

The new Oppo DV-980H has been very popular in these AVS forums. There's a thread about it. Several LED HLT owners have commented about it in this thread. I'm personally considering getting the 980.

Oppo DV980H
http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/default.asp

Good luck. Avio

Thanks for the input, I am curious though as to why the 980, when the 981 seems to have the better up conversion chip??
EDIT: I didn't realize the 980 is the new model....
post #4888 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 05:56 PM

HDMI Output Optical Output.

I can use my A/V receiver to get the sound from the TV through the Optical output on ALL sources. OTA is definetly Dolby Digital, the computer is stereo because I use 2 phono plugs from the soundcard. It depends on the settings for the DVD player, I use an HDMI from DVD to TV (6189). The sound will only come around from HDMI back to the optical to receiver if the settings in the Denon 1930ci DVD player are set to HDMI Digital. For the 2 sources that I go directly to the A/V receiver first, there is a lipsync issue. Looks like the TV delays the sound for you when it comes back through the optical. I know I will get some questions here, so I am playing with the surround sound settings right now. It certainly seems that I am getting SURROUND Sound this way but the little red Dolby Digital light is not on. I will do some more checking when I get back from work.
Some of you with HDMI sources should go into the setup menue and see the output settings on the HDMI. By the way, I am using the inexpensive cables from Monoprice and I love them, the price and the quality (gold plated).
post #4889 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the input, I am curious though as to why the 980, when the 981 seems to have the better up conversion chip??
EDIT: I didn't realize the 980 is the new model....

The chip used in the 980H does not cause macroblocking problems on dlp sets whereas the the one in the 981H does.
post #4890 of 14891 Old 08-21-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Curious.. has anyone compared the brightness of the LED vs the lamp version of the 61" tv? I thought I read somewhere here, that the light level dips sharper on the vertical with the LED tv than the lamp based one. I also thought i read that the brightness of the LED is a little less than the lamp.. any thoughts? I still have the lamp version as of now, but have been contimplating making a swap while i can.

Also.. anyone know what the xbox 360's 1080p mode puts out.. is it 24, or 60 etc.. and which is more common/best?

Thanks

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page