post #541 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaizer2000 View Post

More pics

Do you have any visible underscan with your display? It seems as though you do not. How about overscan?

It seems like DVI > HDMI is the way to go. I'm curious if there's something different about my set.

Can you test VGA and see if it underscan the picture there?

Thanks for the pictures and any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 05:06 PM

Liked: 13
this set looks amazing! Thanks for the pics everyone!

I was very impressed with how rich the colors looked in the world of warcraft pics. The richness looks very close to that of my old CRT computer monitor.

The set also seems to "absorb" ambient light, instead of "Reflecting", which I don't know has a technical term or what.

-------

Has anyone reported any lip-synching problems?
post #543 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

No it's not ideal, but others have done it and been satisfied.

If you buy from a local dealer with a thirty day, no cost to you, return policy then there is no risk at all.

Are you sure it wasn't 30 degrees (+- 15 degrees). That's what it's been in the past, and I trust that number.

Even it the viewing angle works you still need the thirty days incase your neck has a problem if you are looking up for long periods of time. That will be a potential problem no matter which TV you select.

Unless the angles mean somthing else, attached is the section from the manual. There is also a picture of the unfinished room with the cutout.

We plan on using recliners, so the natural position is looking up slightly. So hopefully, I don't have a neck problem. This will not be unique to the RPTV selection.

I like the idea of a 30 day return / test.
Thanks
LL
LL
post #544 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
So does anybody have any idea how the black detail in these led sets compare to other hdtv's?

I'm tempted to get one online but since i can't find any locally to see I haven't ordered yet. Oh and i have to get my wifey approval. She said i could only get a flat panel, sheesh.
post #545 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

More pics

awesome...looks like dvi to hdmi for pc may be the way to go...that leaves the vga port for the xbox 360 sweet!

thx a ton for those shots

your pc set to 1920x180 right?

Samsung 4665f 1028/1008 flawless
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
post #546 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagaden View Post

Do you have any visible underscan with your display? It seems as though you do not. How about overscan?

It seems like DVI > HDMI is the way to go. I'm curious if there's something different about my set.

you might want to turn off the Just setting when using vga if thats what you are doing....might also check you video card setting for your card...if its nvidea, they have a portion of the settings that lets you adjjust the size.

Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
post #547 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

you might want to turn off the Just setting when using vga if thats what you are doing....might also check you video card setting for your card...if its nvidea, they have a portion of the settings that lets you adjjust the size.

I believe Just Scan is disabled for VGA. I have a 5700FX Ultra which is an nVidia card but there is no option to change the dimensions, only position. I was planning on powerstripping it but may go and try out DVI > HDMI instead (which does have Just Scan option).
post #548 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryK View Post

Unless the angles mean somthing else, attached is the section from the manual. There is also a picture of the unfinished room with the cutout.

We plan on using recliners, so the natural position is looking up slightly. So hopefully, I don't have a neck problem. This will not be unique to the RPTV selection.

My recliners are 16' from my screen, the bottom of which is 50' above the floor. With the recline, there is no neck strain, and if there is any for you, it's easy to just put a pillow behind your neck. I love looking up a bit at the screen.

But I have a 106" screen and am concerned that your distance from the 61" is too far away.

Shelly

The Sammy T-6189 is on my short list for my den where my viewing distance is 10'.

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #549 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Honestly i'm not exactly sure what underscan and overscan is.
The view on my computer monitor seemed to match the view on the sammy so they looked identical.

One thing i noticed. With the other 2 hdmi ports (cable &ps3) in the 16x9 mode it looks like some of the image is off the screen. With just scan mode i can visibly see the imarge reduce some so more of a scene appears on the screen. Not much so i think it might only be like 2-3% reduction.

With the pc dvi to hdmi connection the "just scan" mode is not available. You get 4:3, wide tv, wide pc. Since my pc has a widescreen monitor i used the wide pc option which fits the entire screen correctly. If you use Wide TV then the edges are off the screen.

And yes i set the screen rez on the pc to 1920x1080

Not 100% sure why the "just scan" mode isn't available. You can edit the source list so you can assign a preprogrammed periipheral name to your port. IE...hdmi = cable, hdmi 2 - game (for the ps3) and hdmi/dvi = pc. Possibly by tagging the port as PC it made some internal adjustments. I just played with this and setting the hdmi input source with the PC tag doesn't only name it so you know whats connected it does change the settings. When I switch is from any of the choices to PC the screen flicks and the display colors changed. I seemed to have enhanced the color and text some by changing the display settings from "movie" to dynamic or standard.

Also would seem that the Display settings are unique to each input source. So you can customize them for your sources. I only did the 3 HDMI ones. Havent tried the composite VCR ones yet but probably the same.
Can't try the VGA cable. Computer is too far from the TV which is why i went with a 25 foot dvi2hdmi cable.
post #550 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 05:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

I have a 5700FX Ultra which is an nVidia card but there is no option to change the dimensions, only position.

If you haven't already, you might check out the latest drivers for your card.
post #551 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you haven't already, you might check out the latest drivers for your card.

Already installed Do you know the location of this tweak? I used the "classic" advanced options because I found the wizards they added disgusting.

Quote:

Honestly i'm not exactly sure what underscan and overscan is.
The view on my computer monitor seemed to match the view on the sammy so they looked identical.

Thanks for the quick response Slaizer, underscan and overscan is when the picture projected is too large/too small for the screen and doesn't fit perfectly. It sounds like yours matches up just fine
post #552 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 05:58 PM

What is the most comparable product from Sony versus the HLT6189S ?
(year 2007 model Rear Projection 1080P, HDMI v1.3, PIP, etc)

I was at Best Buy last night and they were touting their just-arrived Sonys, but the 60-inch screen had only 2 HDMI inputs. I wonder what other features that HDTV doesn't have.

I want a new HDTV and this Samsung 61-inch 89S sounds fantastic. I'm just wondering if I really saw the best Sony has to offer for rear projection HDTVs... The Sony and Samsung posts seem to be the most prevalent here at AVSforums rear projection board at the moment.

Thanks.
post #553 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Can't try the VGA cable. Computer is too far from the TV which is why i went with a 25 foot dvi2hdmi cable.

I just checked the source naming for the PC input. It does allow you to assign the PC tag to the PC port so i would speculate if you use the pc vga port on the TV and assign the PC tag to the port you will get the Wide PC option which should do the same trick it did with the HDMI to get the entire screen on the TV.
post #554 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:

I just checked the source naming for the PC input. It does allow you to assign the PC tag to the PC port so i would speculate if you use the pc vga port on the TV and assign the PC tag to the port you will get the Wide PC option which should do the same trick it did with the HDMI to get the entire screen on the TV.

Mine is already set to Wide PC aspect ratio and I have considerable underscan (not to mention the picture is off center to the right). I'm trying to find out if this is "by design" for PC's in VGA mode, or if I should contact Samsung about it now.
post #555 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMneon View Post

There isn't one. Sony's first RPTVs with HDMI 1.3 are coming in July.

It's like this every year. Samsung releases their new models every April and Sony follows with their models in July (August last year, due to delays).
post #556 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryK View Post

I am getting a new house. It has a build in TV box in the wall. W56" H47" D29" The bottom of the box is 52" from the floor . I will be sitting 14'-16' away from the set. I know that it is not ideal to have a RP tv that high, but, I really like the HLT6187s for many reasons. Plasma is my next choice but it is smaller and not 1080P. Will it be a disaster to buy this set? If anyone could simulate this, it would be very helpful. I don't really trust the +- 30 degree vertical viewing angle in the manual.

One option you might consider is to build a riser for your chairs, sofa? I like sitting up off the ground anyway, and have the back sofa on a 12" riser.

As for distance, I'm 15' from the back, and the 61HLS-88 works just fine at that distance. Of course how good your eyesight is will determine if 16' is too far back.
I have a 100" screen I throw up in front of the Samsung, when its time to go big!

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #557 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Kagaden, I doubt anything is wrong with your tv..I had this same issue with my pc hooked to my plasma..I just used the plasma menu to adjust the picture to fill the screen. The samy has a menu to allow centering, but not size adjusting? Also, in the nvidea advanced settings is where the size adjustments are located....you are sing nvidea drivers and not the windows supplied ones, correct?

Slaizer, thx for all the info. You and Kagaden are what avs forum users all should be...informative, and picture posting. Even when you dont know what we are asking you end up answering the question just by all the information you supplied. Thanks again.

Xbox 360 Elite
PS3
8300HD
onkyo 605
panamax filtration
post #558 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z07VETTE View Post

My HLS-6187 had some issues in 1080i/P mode through HDMI but looked amazing in every other mode including the PC and component inputs with HD-DVD, Xbox360 and HD Cable. Instead of repairing it Samsung is giving me the option to trade it in for a new one or the current HLT models.

Has anyone gone from the HLS to an HLT??

II don't care about size or replacing bulbs I just want which ever one has the best PQ.

I have a 6188 and very much like the overall picture quality, but Samsung offered to replace it due to out of spec pincushion distortion. They said I could choose anything for the difference in price, so I waited a little until the HLT6189 became available. The forum feedback so far says the pincushion in in the 1/8" range. So I'm going from the HLS to the HLT.

I agree about the bulb, PQ is more important!
post #559 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

One option you might consider is to build a riser for your chairs, sofa? I like sitting up off the ground anyway, and have the back sofa on a 12" riser.

As for distance, I'm 15' from the back, and the 61HLS-88 works just fine at that distance. Of course how good your eyesight is will determine if 16' is too far back.
I have a 100" screen I throw up in front of the Samsung, when its time to go big!

I also have a good size bonus room. At some time, I plan I putting in a front projection system. I am guessing 110" - 120" screen. The 61" is for general viewing. Movies will be viewed in the FP room.
post #560 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

I suppose that is possible if the screen is a laminate of multiple layers of material and the laminate somehow separated. -phil

I have a HLS6188 that has a problem with pincushion distortion. This due to screen curvature. When the service tech tried to correct it by rehanging the screen, I noticed that it did have two screen panels. If these two panels are not next to each other (air gap between them), you'll see a double image when looking at the screen at a sharp angle. It also caused some color distortion.

HTH
post #561 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 06:49 PM

Just hooked up my 6187. Maybe it's cause it brand new, but did anyone else notice blurriness in quick movement on screen? I had a 48" JVC crt projection tv before and never noticed anything like this. I pretty much noticed it right away.
post #562 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

There isn't one. Sony's first RPTVs with HDMI 1.3 are coming in July.

It's like this every year. Samsung releases their new models every April and Sony follows with their models in July (August last year, due to delays).

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look around for some threads with more info on it. Probably a couple hundred more than the $2,899.99 I saw at Best Buy yesterday.
post #563 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shogun View Post

Just hooked up my 6187. Maybe it's cause it brand new, but did anyone else notice blurriness in quick movement on screen? I had a 48" JVC crt projection tv before and never noticed anything like this. I pretty much noticed it right away.

Please let us know more about this as you continue to view. One of the reasons I won't buy an LCD anytime soon is due to motion blur/tracers/whatever the technical term is. I'm a big baseball fan, and it just doesn't cut it.

I've not seen this problem on many late-model DLPs.
post #564 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMneon View Post

The next "comperable" Sony would be the 2007 XBR models coming later this year.

Quote:

I was at Best Buy last night and they were touting their just-arrived Sonys, but the 60-inch screen had only 2 HDMI inputs. I wonder what other features that HDTV doesn't have.

That sounds like Sony's lower end SXRD line which is the A2020. The Sony threads indicate that there is almost no difference between the A2020 models and the 2006 A2000 models.

I don't think BB carries the XBR line unless it's one of their stores with a Magnolia Home Theater department.
post #565 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3lub View Post

Anyone have the TR500X3B stand? I'll be getting one of those with the set I believe, and I was wondering if anyone has it. Is it deep enough to fit full size or square components? Like a receiver for example. I know that's not ideal for heat dispersion, but my room space allowance isn't ideal either.

I have an older Sammy stand and it's little shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

I would also like to know the height of the top shelf on this stand, and whether it is adjustable.

The height and depth of the stand:

Bottom Shelf stands at 1.5"
Middle Shelf stands at 12"
Top tv platform stands at 19.5"

Depth is almost 16" with a potential of 17" if it's pushed against the back.
Width is about 44" on each glass shelf at the longest point.

The shelves are not adjustable.
post #566 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBee View Post

Please let us know more about this as you continue to view. One of the reasons I won't buy an LCD anytime soon is due to motion blur/tracers/whatever the technical term is. I'm a big baseball fan, and it just doesn't cut it.

I've not seen this problem on many late-model DLPs.

It has to be a source issue. Why? Because these sets are rated at 16 micro seconds which is 1000 times faster than most LCD's.
post #567 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 08:50 PM

Aight, after some more viewing, it seems like the slight blurring must have been a combination of the TV being turned on for the first time and the HD feed itself. It didn't really look like full on blurring but seemed kind of like a combination of that and almost like a drop in framerate. Anyhow, I don't see it now (I had noticed it on some HD NHL game, but not on the NBA game that's on now). So all is well.

I haven't had time to play around with the settings and analyze the picture too much, since I've mostly been trying to figure out where I'm gonna fit all my components, but I will say I'm very impressed by the black levels. I was worried coming from a CRT projection (although not top of the line) that it might be an issue, but it looks great to me.

Another thing I noticed is that warm 1 and 2 were not available as options, they're there but are dimmed and not selectable. Anyone else have this happen. I saw other posts saying they chose that setting so I wanted to give it a try. Right now I'm using an HD DVR cable box through component (haven't received my hdmi cable in the mail yet).
post #568 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 09:08 PM

Just like I said.....
Here is some goodness. I sorta tweaked with the settings from what others have said in posts and did my own thing.

The set is the HL-T5087S....I was so impatient I chose to pick it up from the shipper

I'm posting thumbs to let you preview the goodness.

Mumble.....

King Kong....

The setup(yes the stand sucks but i'm saving for the new Samsung one, and don't worry the center channel now has a different home)

I have definately got my wow factor already from Happy Feet, now it's time to play some games! Ask away if you want....I'm not tech savvy on TV's yet just to warn you though.

Final HD DVD movie count: 61
HD-A35

Blu Ray: 47
Newest: Batman Begins
PS3

I peed Purple until March '08.
post #569 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 09:14 PM

Ha, I also got it from the local delivery warehouse because they said they didn't have a spot in their trucks for a week. Unacceptable of course.

And nice Guitar Hero II! I'm so pissed a few days after getting it, my 360 broke (for the 3rd time!) so I can't rock it in 1080P goodness for a while.
post #570 of 14887 Old 04-12-2007, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigee View Post

Just like I said.....
Here is some goodness. I sorta tweaked with the settings from what others have said in posts and did my own thing.

The set is the HL-T5087S....I was so impatient I chose to pick it up from the shipper

I'm posting thumbs to let you preview the goodness.

Mumble.....

King Kong....

The setup(yes the stand sucks but i'm saving for the new Samsung one, and don't worry the center channel now has a different home)

I have definately got my wow factor already from Happy Feet, now it's time to play some games! Ask away if you want....I'm not tech savvy on TV's yet just to warn you though.

Nice pics, looks like the SSE isn't going to be a problem. It also looks, at least from these pics, that shadow detail is good. Would i be correct? Hard to judge from a picture but if the SSE is OK with "Happy Feet" which is loaded with white i think that bodes well overall.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page