Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Describe all your connections to get more help than speculation.

I have my cable going directly into my tv. My dish receiver is hooked up to the tv through component. My DVD player is hooked up to my tv with HDMI. The surround system works with a DVD but not any channel that I watch on tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMoss View Post

Your statement seems to contradict the HL-T6189S user manual. Pages 14 and 15 contain references to 5.1 sound and says "5.1CH audio is possible when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1CH." How did you test this? Are you aware that some devices have to be configured to pass 5.1 audio on their HDMI outputs? Other just don't do it at all.

I think that statement from the manual is stating that if you use the TV's internal tuner (antenna) it can pass 5.1 sound out (optical out) the TV to a 5.1 reciever which will do the decoding.

If you check page 84 it states : when tv is displaying DTV(air) TV can send out 5.1 channel sound through SPDIF. But when the source is DVD TV can receive only 2 channel sound using HDMI.

I think this TV only supports 2 channel audo via HDMI. Output from my PS3 via HDMI to tv, then out optical cable to receiver seems to be transmitting as 2 channel PCM (ps3 doesn't find 5.1 doby digital when doing auto scan of sound settings). IF i manually set it to 5.1 digital the receiver only plays some fo the sound. The center speaker (voice) is muted. For now i will have to live with 2 channel PCM until i get a new receiver that will accept HDMI inputs. Will wait till the HD audio formats come out with 1.3 HDMI though before upgrading the sound system.

The 2 channel PCM seems to be ok though. The receiver doesn't receive it as 5.1 dolby digital but uses dolby pro logics to convert the PCM into 5.1 audio I believe.
post #633 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brian View Post

Would an owner of the TR500X3B let me know if my center speaker would fit on either the top or bottom glass shelf, preferably the top? Here are the measurements of my speaker:

H: 8 1/4"
W: 21 3/4"
D: 15"

Thanks

The bush universal stand i showed a pic of would seem to fit the center speaker. There is only 7 inches of height clearance because of the metal bar that runs across it verrtically. But if you slipped the center speaker in before putting the top shelf in (where the tv sits) you would have 10 inches height, about 15 1/2 inches depth and a lenght of 55 inches.

The main complaint about this is the stand is 22+ inches heigh which alot think it too high for the sammy.
post #634 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim02 View Post

Well does the PS3 full the whole screen.. Because I have heard that some saying that there a little bit short on one side then the other, But it is small.. I am almost thinking just going with Sony R60XBR2 instand on the HLT6189S...

If you use the just scan mode the image reduces some. Alos you can adjust the position of the screen left/right, up/down for each input so yu can adjust it if its too far to one side.
post #635 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxer View Post

Thanks to all of you for comments about the new Samsung DLP LED TV's, I purchased the HL-T5689S. Now the real problem starts, finding a home theater system to replace my old, very old, Sony surround sound system.

My hair hurts from reading about receivers and speakers and 5.1 this and 7.1 that and no THX and yes THX and Onkyo is better, no Yamaha is, no buy a Sony and on and on and on. Maybe I should just punt for a couple of months until I wear the newness off my TV which I am supposed to receive the first part of next week.

What are some of you guys doing about home theater systems for your new Samsung TV?

As far as I can tell the sammy only passes 2 channel audio via HDMI input. So if you connect a game system or cable/satellite box to the sammy with HDMI cable the receiver will only do 2 channel PCM. If you get something be sure it has HDMI inputs so you can run HDMI to the receiver (to receive full aduio) and then to the TV. I personally am going to wait for the new audio formats.
post #636 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckeyBoss View Post

I have my cable going directly into my tv. My dish receiver is hooked up to the tv through component. My DVD player is hooked up to my tv with HDMI. The surround system works with a DVD but not any channel that I watch on tv.

I'd check your audio output on the satellite box. On my cable box if i set it to digital i get no sound. I think it forces audio out the optical connection. The cable box has an HDMI setting that then sends sound out via HDMI via the tv and then to receiver correctly. The receiver shows dolby pro logic and not dolby digital so i again think the tv is only passing 2 channel PCM and not 5.1 dolby digital via the HDMI.
post #637 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 08:23 PM

Do any of the owners have any picture settings / tweaking tips ?
- thanx in advance !
post #638 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 08:31 PM

I was able to enable the 3D/Dual-view mode on the Sammy.

On the HDMI/DVI port i connected my pc to and then labeled the hdmi/dvi port to PC the 3d/dual-view mode became selectable. It is grayed out on all the other ports. Even if I set hdmi 1 or hdmi 2 to be a PC port the 3d/dual-view option is still grayed out.

Even Though i was able to enable it , it really didn't do anything. But by having it selectable i was able to get a brief description of what it does.

When you highlight 3d/dual-view the decription reads : enables you to usa a 3D sync signal emitter and 3D glasses for 3d/Dual-view.

I believe that is what the 3d port on the panel is for. Future use i'm sure.

After setting the 3d/dual view mode you can set it to off, on-std gls, on-inv gls.
The description for these read : activates 3d/dual view mode with standard polarity glasses on.
The on-inv glas selection is just for inverted polarity.

So it does looks like you will need some type of emitter plugged into the 3d port on the tv and a pair of 3d glasses.

Last time i read about 3d TV technology though I think the estimated it would be here in 2009.
post #639 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaizer2000 View Post

I was able to enable the 3D/Dual-view mode on the Sammy.

On the HDMI/DVI port i connected my pc to and then labeled the hdmi/dvi port to PC the 3d/dual-view mode became selectable. It is grayed out on all the other ports. Even if I set hdmi 1 or hdmi 2 to be a PC port the 3d/dual-view option is still grayed out.

Even Though i was able to enable it , it really didn't do anything. But by having it selectable i was able to get a brief description of what it does.

When you highlight 3d/dual-view the decription reads : enables you to usa a 3D sync signal emitter and 3D glasses for 3d/Dual-view.

I believe that is what the 3d port on the panel is for. Future use i'm sure.

After setting the 3d/dual view mode you can set it to off, on-std gls, on-inv gls.
The description for these read : activates 3d/dual view mode with standard polarity glasses on.
The on-inv glas selection is just for inverted polarity.

So it does looks like you will need some type of emitter plugged into the 3d port on the tv and a pair of 3d glasses.

Last time i read about 3d TV technology though I think the estimated it would be here in 2009.

Most useless...feature...ever. Can anybody really envision a family or a group of friends sitting around wearing their 3D glasses and watching a movie? More proof that our society is moving towards becoming completely devoid of human interaction.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #640 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 09:23 PM

does anyone know if there is or will be a 46 inch version of these sets?

also, how is the sd?

thanks
post #641 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 09:23 PM

What do people set their Temperature as.

I set mine to Warm2, and I'm not sure which is better.
post #642 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

Most useless...feature...ever. Can anybody really envision a family or a group of friends sitting around wearing their 3D glasses and watching a movie? More proof that our society is moving towards becoming completely devoid of human interaction.

Pretty silly. But the TV itself and the content it is built to carry is encouraging your latter remark, not just the 3-D glasses.

I see you're a member here...

post #643 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 09:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckeyBoss View Post

I have my cable going directly into my tv.

This connection will provide video and two channel audio to your TV set from your cable company. It will not provide for any audio getting to your surround system. To do that you need an audio output on your TV that you can connect to your surround system.

Quote:

My dish receiver is hooked up to the tv through component.

A component connection is video only. It's not sending audio to either the TV or the surround system. You need an optical or coax cable from the STB to the surround system in order to get 5.1 surround sound.

To get stereo sound from the dish box to the TV you need to connect ithe STB's RCA type two wire audio outputs to the TV's stereo audio input that is associated with the component input that you are using.

Quote:

My DVD player is hooked up to my tv with HDMI. The surround system works with a DVD

That's because your DVD player is built into the surround system. I am guessing because you haven't described your surround system.

You should be getting 5.1 surround direct from the DVD player, and stereo sound with video going to your TV through the HDMI cable. It's not a good idea to have the sound from your TV, and your surround sysem on at the same time. If you do then you will probably hear an echo.

Quote:

but not any channel that I watch on tv.

As I said, you haven't described any audio connection from your TV (for cable) or from your Dish STB to your surround system.

Quote:

The tv speakers work but my surround doesnt. Its connected with hdmi.. I thought that covered both audio and video..

With the connections you have described, and if everything is configured correctly, I expect that your TV has sound for TV (from cable), and from the DVD player.
post #644 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 09:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmanuel View Post

does anyone know if there is or will be a 46 inch version of these sets?

If you mean a 1080p set using a LED light source then it's not going to happen this year unless Samsung does something they haven't announced.

I don't expect to see LED light engines in 720p sets either. The 46" sets will all be 720p.
post #645 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you mean a 1080p set using a LED light source then it's not going to happen this year unless Samsung does something they haven't announced.

I don't expect to see LED light engines in 720p sets either. The 46" sets will all be 720p.

ah too bad, 50 inches is a little too big for my room.

thanks anyway.
post #646 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmanuel View Post

ah too bad, 50 inches is a little too big for my room.

thanks anyway.

You're welcome.

There are lamp based 720p sets (HL-T4675)you can check out. A 10800p set is not going to do you any good with a 46" screen. Use the 2007 link at the bottom of my post to find more information about them.
post #647 of 14906 Old 04-13-2007, 11:03 PM

I have been looking at a hl-s6188w for a little while now, but switched gears and took the plunge this week for the hl-t6189s. I am new to Samsung and new to this forum. I will do my best to provide feedback from my amateur stature and hopefully provide decent feedback and ask appropriate questions.

I know price isn't to be discussed, but I can say ABT is the way to go. Not listed, so call or chat.

Should be an owner late next week.
post #648 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBee View Post

Pretty silly. But the TV itself and the content it is built to carry is encouraging your latter remark, not just the 3-D glasses.

I see you're a member here...

This really isn't the place to get into a discussion about this BUT I will say this: I have to disagree with you in part on this. At least with TV in its current form you're still tied to reality while watching. Families can still see each other during a show or movie and talk about what's going on in it. However, when (or I should say IF) those glasses go on, you're taken away from the reality of the house and the people around you. That was more or less my point, interaction within families or friends (to the extent that people have friends over to watch movies or whatever) if that makes sense. It's late...I'm going to bed.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #649 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 05:41 AM

This recent discussion about stereo only out of the TV has me concerned...

I have had the understanding that if I plug my DirecTV satellite box and my PS3 into the HDMI1 and HDMI2 ports of the TV, and connect the Digital Audio Out (Optical) of the TV into my Dolby Digital/DTS surround receiver, that I will get 5.1 surround sound. Is that correct? If not, I guess the fallback is to run the optical audio cables from the satellite box and PS3 to the receiver, but that is less desirable as it will require manual switching on the receiver to select an alternative sound source.
post #650 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:

This really isn't the place to get into a discussion about this BUT I will say this: I have to disagree with you in part on this. At least with TV in its current form you're still tied to reality while watching. Families can still see each other during a show or movie and talk about what's going on in it. However, when (or I should say IF) those glasses go on, you're taken away from the reality of the house and the people around you. That was more or less my point, interaction within families or friends (to the extent that people have friends over to watch movies or whatever) if that makes sense. It's late...I'm going to bed.

I wouldn't worry, most of the time people will watch the TV "tied to reality" as you say. One may spend an hour or two playing a game or watching a special video in 3D, they will still come back to reality. 3D eyeglasses are not the extreme in terms of leaving reality... wearing a virtual reality helmut and becoming full immersed in a simulated environment takes you much further from the "reality around you".

My reality today is Salamander screwed up my bridges I ordered and now when my set arrives this week, I won't have anywhere to set it up.... They better fix the situation quickly.
post #651 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 07:56 AM

I do not get all write up over the surround sound system with this TV. Not to be rude, but if people are going to be spending this much on a TV, they should have the same quality audio components to go with it. I mean, the receiver I use, is by no means top of the line IMHO, but it will solve many peoples' problems here as it has HDMI switching. Meaning, you have HDMI going to the receiver then from there to the TV. From the PS3, you can get the 5.1 surround sound, 7.1 simulated surround sound if you wanted as this receiver is also 7.1, and get the 1080p video to your TV at the same time.
Btw, the receiver is the Pioneer VSX-1016TXV-K.
post #652 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 08:11 AM

Just a heads for everyone who is thinking about purchasing a Samsung HDTV.

Make sure you are buying from a Samsung authorized online dealer!

I called Samsung about six weeks ago and was given the following listing: Crutchfields, Best Buy, Circuit City, Amazon, Vanns, 1Call, Tweeters, Electronic Express, J&R, ABCWarehouse, and Electronics-Expo.

At that time I was told by the rep, "Samsung would not honor the warranty unless set was purchased from an authorized dealer".

My plan, once I actually make a decision to purchase, is to call Samsung back and confirm who is authorized at that time and then find the best price among those authorized dealers.

FYI, I did tell the guy they should have that listing available on their website and he pretty much said "whatever". Note: They do have a listing of authorized online dealers for computer monitors, but it is not the same list.....
post #653 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nick8er View Post

Do any of the owners have any picture settings / tweaking tips ?
- thanx in advance !

Until Eliab calibrates my HL-T5089S, I've been watching it with these settings which are far better than what the TV is set to out of the box:

Mode: Movie
Color temp: Warm 1
DNIe: OFF
Sharpness: 0
Contrast: 80 to 90 depending on how much ambient light is in the room
Brightness: 31 (as determined with a pluge pattern at Eliab's place)
Color: 45

I'm only watching using HDMI inputs 1 and 2 for digital cable and a PS3. I haven't done anything with DVE or Avia, but on my set, those settings a good step in the right direction.
post #654 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2&2 View Post

As far as setup goes, I'm not a fan of the clunky source-switching, and the PiP doesn't let you view two discrete input sources. Only cable/antenna and one other source. I can't do Pip w/ HDMI cable box and VGA.

2&2,

Can you please clarify the PIP operation for me. The way I read the owner's manual, it appears that the only source for PIP is analog broadcast either via the air or cable input. Is that correct? If so that means that PIP is useless for me in two years when analog broadcasts are turned off.

There doesn't even appear to be any way to swap the PIP and main window. It looks like this set has less PIP function than my 4 year old HLM507W.

-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
post #655 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Dweller View Post

Until Eliab calibrates my HL-T5089S, I've been watching it with these settings which are far better than what the TV is set to out of the box:

Mode: Movie
Color temp: Warm 1
DNIe: OFF
Sharpness: 0
Contrast: 80 to 90 depending on how much ambient light is in the room
Brightness: 31 (as determined with a pluge pattern at Eliab's place)
Color: 45

I'm only watching using HDMI inputs 1 and 2 for digital cable and a PS3. I haven't done anything with DVE or Avia, but on my set, those settings a good step in the right direction.

If I put my tv in movie mode, the picture gets dark and the quality gets worse. I keep mine at standard. And for some reason, I cant switch to warm 1 or warm 2, I can get the standards and cools but it skips the warm settings...

The only way the picture looks clear and people on the screen dont look squatty or stretched is to have the tv in 4:3 mode. But then this cuts off several inches of viewable area on both sides. This sucks! Whats the point in having a big screen and you can only watch quality with several inches removed ?

The only time the picture is real nice is when I put in a DVD movie. I get hi-def cable installed Monday. If this doesnt improve the quality, I may opt to see if I can return this tv or sell it somewhere.

So far Im very disappointed in this television!
post #656 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 09:31 AM

StuckeyBoss,

It seems you only have a standard definition feed going to your TV at the moment, so you should realize that yes, it's going to look like crap. Whatever tv you have, SD is still SD. Wait until you get high def cable...
post #657 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysThinkin View Post

I called Samsung about six weeks ago and was given the following listing: Crutchfields, Best Buy, Circuit City, Amazon, Vanns, 1Call, Tweeters, Electronic Express, J&R, ABCWarehouse, and Electronics-Expo.

At that time I was told by the rep, "Samsung would not honor the warranty unless set was purchased from an authorized dealer".

It's not surprising that all those vendors stick pretty close to the MSRP. It also shows why places that go $500-$1000 under the MSRP can afford to do so - they make up the difference with extended warranties and higher shipping rates.
post #658 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:

People used to say that about those silly new TVs that show everything in color. How ridiculous!
post #659 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysThinkin View Post

My plan, once I actually make a decision to purchase, is to call Samsung back and confirm who is authorized at that time and then find the best price among those authorized dealers.

FYI, I did tell the guy they should have that listing available on their website and he pretty much said "whatever". Note: They do have a listing of authorized online dealers for computer monitors, but it is not the same list.....

This is a good rule of thumb. For those interested in purchasing online, check your dealer and make sure they are listed here:

http://www.samsung.com/peaceofmind/ceddealers.htm
post #660 of 14906 Old 04-14-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyobjects View Post

This is a good rule of thumb. For those interested in purchasing online, check your dealer and make sure they are listed here:

http://www.samsung.com/peaceofmind/ceddealers.htm

Thanks for the link heavyobjects!

Everyone, it appears there are a number of additional internet dealers then I was told by the Samsung rep.

This link is worth looking at before you buy online.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page