Advertisement

post #6932 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocalaf View Post

I had ordered the HLT5689S in mid-September and because it was out of stock at the vendor I purchased it from I had to wait several weeks. Meanwhile, I started reading this forum and got scared to death about the blue halo, the bowing, and the "grin". I was a nervous wreck about whether to cancel the order. However, I decided to take my chances because of the many features of this unit that I liked, and because I have had another Samsung 56" DLP for about 2 1/2 years, have several other Samsung devices, and have never had any problems (other than Lip sync issues with the DVD, which I solved with an Alchemy correction device.

Anyway, the set arrived this morning and after having it all set up and watching it for an evening, I am happy to report that so far none of the above issues seem to be a problem for me. I am keeping my fingers crossed that nothin shows up. After making some adjustments for brightness, contrast, etc. I very happy with the gorgeous picture on the set. I cannot find a marking for the place and date of manufacture, so don't know if it is more recent than some that you folks have been talking about, but thought I would let you know that not all units have the same problems out of the box.

Congrats
post #6933 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym22 View Post

Well...since the only known fix is a light engine replacement I am going to insist this be the course of action and if Samsung refuses, I am going to send it back to Big River and get the Sony A3000. Samsung KNOWS it's a problem and by now should know what will and won't fix it.

Well...I have changed my stance a bit. I adjusted the settings last night based on a post here (the guy who said he fiddled with the setting in AVIA for a few hours) and the prism is much less noticeable. Matter of fact, I don't see it at all unless the condition is perfect and then it is muted and hard to see. The resulting picture to me looks incredible and it's hard for me to believe I could get another TV with as good a picture. So when the tech comes out I am going to tell him that the only repair that I will allow is the light engine replacement. That ought to go over real well I just do not want to go through a TV replacement even for another 5687.
post #6934 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 08:45 AM

I went to the Samsung web page and didn't find fotoconnection.com listed as an authorized online retailer. Their price on the 5687 is the cheapest I've found so far. Would Samsung honor their warranty if I bought it from fotoconnection?
post #6935 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 09:04 AM

hi read the posts and was going to get the hlt6187s already have a kdf55e2000 sony i bought last year but after reading all the geometry and halo issues decided to go with the sony kds60a3000 boy was i disapointed picture is really bad even in hd on sd channels its not even worth watching have already called to send it back and have had it 2 days now i have ordered the sammy hope i'm not disapointed. thanks for all the help
post #6936 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 AM

Today I called Samsung to ask them about green push and the fact that my B&K ref50 menus will not display over the Svideo connector.

They sent me a link to the 1026 firmware. I updated from the original firmware (1012) to 1026. This "upgraded" firmware did nothing to fix the B&K ref50 menus (they said it wouldn't and that it was probably B&K's fault). Now I swear the picture is softer than it was before. I called to ask them to send me the 1012 firmware so I could retrograde but was told this is not possible (the level2 support guy suggested that I put the TV in "dynamic" mode to correct the issue). Needless to say I'm less than impressed with the service I've received.

Has anybody here successfully downgraded their set to an older firmware? If so, please PM me if you have the files to try this operation. Samsung is not being helpful.
post #6937 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTma View Post

You can find a link to the firmware in Post #5728 of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrog View Post

I just upgraded the firmware and have no picture and the LED light is flashing. What to do now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

Well, hopefully, by now you finally decided to turn the set off and turned it back on. I hope the set came back on all normal and good.

Quote:

So do I. But it didn't come on. LED light flashes for a while, goes off, the set stays on for maybe three minutes and then powers down. Had it less than 30 days...

You may have accidently converted your TV into a brick. If it does not power up with picture try to get it replaced by either Samsung or by your vendor. Do this ASAP because "less than 30 days" ownership usually has an unconditional replacement option.

Good luck. Avio
post #6938 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So do I. But it didn't come on. LED light flashes for a while, goes off, the set stays on for maybe three minutes and then powers down. Had it less than 30 days...

joshrog,
Did you try unplugging your set for about 10 minutes, then plug back in and try power-up?

Avio
post #6939 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:

I just upgraded the firmware and have no picture and the LED light is flashing. What to do now?

Josh, just to cover all the bases, you do have an 87 series tv and not an 89, right?
post #6940 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post

]Now I swear that the picture is noticeably less sharp than it was before.

After looking at this longer, I believe what I'm seeing may be a function of their 120Hz "frame doubling" technology. For example, static text on the screen looks just as sharp as ever. It seems like moving text (and images I guess) are what looks slightly softer than before. It could be that improvement of the anti-motion-blur algorithms in the 1026 firmware had the side-effect of a slightly softer picture?

In any case, after looking at it for a couple of hours I think I can get used to it. The 1026 firmware does have other benefits, right?
post #6941 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

I had my screen replaced since it had some distorted area that apparently was molded into the actual screen. The (((((((((()))))))))) appears to be gone and the prism seems to be much less noticeable on the "no input source" screen, not that it was very noticeable before but I really have to be damn close to the TV and be looking upward at it. This makes me wonder if the screen piece has an effect on the prism problem.
post #6942 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 PM

Update on my minor prism issue

My local Samsung repair company wanted to replace the DMD board which I said was not acceptable as I know that will not fix it. She said that Samsung would not authorize them to order the light engine. We went back and forth and finally she called Samsung tech support and got the truth. They can't order the light engine because...there are none to be had as they are completely out!. They HAVE to start with the DMD board and if that doesn't fix it they may try something else until finally they give the authorization to SWAP out the tv. Meanwhile, I am without my new tv. Well...I am well within my window to do that myself but I have the option to get another brand so I told her to cancel the part order (dmd board) and I would decide what I wanted to do.

I have a choice to make

1. Keep what I have and hope it doesn't get worse (The girl at the repair shop said anomalies on TV's almost always get worse and rarely get better).
2. Swap it with a new one from "Big River" and hope for the best.
3. Swap it out with a different brand (Panasonic PT-56LCZ70 56" or Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-55A3000 55")
post #6943 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Well...I have changed my stance a bit. I adjusted the settings last night based on a post here (the guy who said he fiddled with the setting in AVIA for a few hours) and the prism is much less noticeable. Matter of fact, I don't see it at all unless the condition is perfect and then it is muted and hard to see. The resulting picture to me looks incredible and it's hard for me to believe I could get another TV with as good a picture. So when the tech comes out I am going to tell him that the only repair that I will allow is the light engine replacement. That ought to go over real well I just do not want to go through a TV replacement even for another 5687.

What are the exact settings you are trying. I would like to try them before the tech comes back with the DMD board.
post #6944 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Update on my minor prism issue

My local Samsung repair company wanted to replace the DMD board which I said was not acceptable as I know that will not fix it. She said that Samsung would not authorize them to order the light engine. We went back and forth and finally she called Samsung tech support and got the truth. They can't order the light engine because...there are none to be had as they are completely out!. They HAVE to start with the DMD board and if that doesn't fix it they may try something else until finally they give the authorization to SWAP out the tv. Meanwhile, I am without my new tv. Well...I am well within my window to do that myself but I have the option to get another brand so I told her to cancel the part order (dmd board) and I would decide what I wanted to do.

I have a choice to make

1. Keep what I have and hope it doesn't get worse (The girl at the repair shop said anomalies on TV's almost always get worse and rarely get better).
2. Swap it with a new one from "Big River" and hope for the best.
3. Swap it out with a different brand (Panasonic PT-56LCZ70 56" or Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-55A3000 55")

Hmm...this made me feel a bit paranoid since my light engine has supposedely been on order since last week via the local repair shop. I just called and she told me it was still on order. Guess I will wait to see what happens.

For those who actually got a light engine swapped out, about how long did it take for the part to arrive for the local tech?
post #6945 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyman View Post

What are the exact settings you are trying. I would like to try them before the tech comes back with the DMD board.

From this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...a#post11850034

mode: movie
contrast: 75
brightness: 47
sharpness: 0
color: 48
tint: R50/G50
color tone: warm1
black adj: off
dynamic contrast: low
gamma: 0
white balance: 0
edge enhancement: off
digital nr: off
color gamut: wide
post #6946 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Glad someone besides me is getting use out of the work I put into tweaking the picture settings.

I updated my firmware to 1026 today and at a quick glance in AVIA these settings pretty much hold up except that I bumped brightness down to 45 to get the black level correct on the component input (my current DVD player is component-only). With everything set the same, the newer firmware seems to have brightened up the image just a bit compared to 1012.

Everything else on my set is still the same as quoted above and it looks good. Really good

I didn't mention this before, but I also have HDMI black level set to "low" in the setup menu. To my eye you definitely want this to get rich blacks, but I'd also recommend to put the brightness control back up to 47-50 on HDMI inputs with this setting enabled or you lose a bit of shadow detail.
post #6947 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks Andym22. And thanks to Jarrod for doing the legwork on the settings.
post #6948 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

You may have accidently converted your TV into a brick. If it does not power up with picture try to get it replaced by either Samsung or by your vendor. Do this ASAP because "less than 30 days" ownership usually has an unconditional replacement option.

Good luck. Avio

yes I think I did brick it. Going back to the store in about 10 minutes. They have two in stock. Hopefully, the third times a charm. The first one had something on the inside of the screen and now this.

by the way it is a 5087s.
post #6949 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post

Glad someone besides me is getting use out of the work I put into tweaking the picture settings.

I updated my firmware to 1026 today and at a quick glance in AVIA these settings pretty much hold up except that I bumped brightness down to 45 to get the black level correct on the component input (my current DVD player is component-only). With everything set the same, the newer firmware seems to have brightened up the image just a bit compared to 1012.

Everything else on my set is still the same as quoted above and it looks good. Really good

I didn't mention this before, but I also have HDMI black level set to "low" in the setup menu. To my eye you definitely want this to get rich blacks, but I'd also recommend to put the brightness control back up to 47-50 on HDMI inputs with this setting enabled or you lose a bit of shadow detail.

Yeah I really like your settings. I would have used my AVIA dvd but the kids have long since lost the color slides. After changing the settings I could definitely notice an improvement in overall picture quality and a reduction in the prism effect. Appreciate your effort!
post #6950 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger tonight for a 6189. After a long, headache of a workweek I decided it was time to get our toy. Purchased through Tweeter. They are out of stock locally with the next shipment do in next Friday. So I'll have to wait at least a week before I see in the home. At least this way I can get the new HD STB. calibration disk, and cables. BTW, Tweeter wanted $200 for a 1.3 HDMI 6ft cable - yipes! Monoprice, here I come.
post #6951 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 PM

I pulled the trigger on a 5089s today and it should be here at the end of next week. My brother-n-law works for Texas Instruments on the DLP technology so they get a good deal on the sets. Hopefully everything goes well...I will report back.
post #6952 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtunney View Post

At least this way I can get the new HD STB. calibration disk

A litle OS, sorry, but where can you buy this calibrataion disk?

Jim
post #6953 of 14889 Old 10-12-2007, 09:57 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_In_Boston View Post

A litle OS, sorry, but where can you buy this calibrataion disk?

Jim

I've been looking for AV calibration DVDs. The links below may interest you:

Review of calibration DVDs http://displaydaily.com/2006/12/04/y...o-expertmaybe/

Calibration tools page http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ion-tools.html

Got GetGray DVD for lip sync calibration http://ezinearticles.com/?GetGray-Ca...view&id=224651. Downloaded it yesterday and found it to be cheap and easy to use. It contains these patterns http://www.calibrate.tv/patterns/patterns.html. Forum thread is here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...tpost&t=586139 .

Ordered HQV Benchmark DVD but it has not arrived yet http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm. Note that this is a benchmark DVD not a calibration DVD. Since my VP has a Silicon Optix Realta chip, I am anxious to do the benchmark. These products all use the Realta chip http://www.hqv.com/products.cfm. "The DVD is designed to put your HDTV, monitor, video scaler, DVD Player, projector or AV receiver through a grueling video obstacle course."

Ordered Rives Audio Test CD 2 for audio calibration http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html. It uses Digital Display Sound-Level Meter from Radio Shack http://www.radioshack.com/sm-digital...i-2103667.html. I am most interesed in calibrating my subwoofer http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ge...udio-test-cd-2 but equalizer would mess with surround sound. Will see what happens when it arrives.
post #6954 of 14889 Old 10-13-2007, 04:44 AM

On the subject of calibration disks, Avia II is out in NTSC format. Not widely available yet, but it shouldn't take long for "Big River" and others to get it.

Bob
post #6955 of 14889 Old 10-13-2007, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Greetings,

As many of your know, Eliab and I have been traveling the country calibrating many of these displays. During our procedure we have been updating the firmware, when necessary, in order to achieve the increased functionality/stability that comes with an update. That said, I had my first 'software update' failure occur yesterday. The set recognized the firmware, asked if I wanted to update it, and we continued. At about 45% through the update process, the display had an error message stating that the USB device could not be found, it then went black for approximately three minutes and turned itself off. This was unrecoverable.

The USB drive has been checked and verified to be ok. This particular drive has been used on other HL-T displays to update the firmware as is. Please be aware that even if you have used the drive before to update the firmware on a display, it could still fail - updating firmware is at your own risk.

Anyhow, I just wanted to give you all a heads up.

Good Pictures!

Dave
post #6956 of 14889 Old 10-13-2007, 06:50 AM

Does anyone know what the latest firmware number is for the 89s? Thanks
post #6957 of 14889 Old 10-13-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Abrams View Post

Greetings,
The USB drive has been checked and verified to be ok. This particular drive has been used on other HL-T displays to update the firmware as is. Please be aware that even if you have used the drive before to update the firmware on a display, it could still fail - updating firmware is at your own risk.
Dave

This explains why Samsung was so cautious when I called yesterday asking about a firmware update to address green push. It was only after they escalated my issue to 'tier 2' that they would even admit to me that the set had an available firmware. The first support person insisted that these model (xx87s) TVs did not have upgradeable firmware.

The tier 2 tech asked me for the exact revision of my TV (the characters after the model number on the sticker on the side of the TV). Then he put me on hold for a long while before he finally came back to say my set could be upgraded and they would send me a link to the firmware.

It makes me wonder if there is a particular hardware revision(s) of these sets that have a propensity to be bricked with a firmware update? Anyway, this is good info to have. I certainly will not be flashing any firmware that I don't get directly from Samsung after verifying with them that it's safe for the revision of my TV.
post #6958 of 14889 Old 10-13-2007, 08:02 AM

After a long day of setting things up - I gotta tell you that I find the HLT-6187s impressive. While HD SAT doesn't arrive until Monday, I'm using an OPPO 980H and the picture quality is outstanding. I did find that some of the color appeared pushed a bit (primarily GREEN) but loaded up JARROD's tweaked settings and the whole family is delighted.
post #6959 of 14889 Old 10-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinokath View Post

Does anyone know what the latest firmware number is for the 89s? Thanks

I think my prior post, copied below, answers your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

Here's how to determine your firmware version:

Firmware version accessible thru User Menu; No need to access Service Menu
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...u#post11346658

Samsung has not posted any firmware for the HLTxx87S or HLTxx89S on their PUBLIC access website. If you contact Samsung, and speak with a Level 2 Tech, they can give you a link to update your firmware or they can send you a USB thumb drive with the newer firmware.

There are at least two posts in this thread to xx87 series firmware. However I have not seen any posts or links to xx89 firmware in this thread.

I have an HLT5689S with 1011 firmware. Apparently versions 1014 and 1016 exist, but I do not know of any source except from Samsung.

Avio

Avio
post #6960 of 14889 Old 10-13-2007, 08:26 AM

Got my 5089s on 9/25. Noticed the halo on the same day. Call Samsung and they sent someone out on Oct 8. They took the TV. Got it back last night. Still had the halo. Called Samsung, they told me to call the shop that 'repaired' it. I called, they came out. He took about 3 seconds to make a diagnosis: 'Yep, needs a new light engine'

I mentioned to the tech today that I read here that Samsung is out of light engines. He said he knows they are NOT out of light engines but Samsung has issued a directive that all other components be replaced before they authorize a light engine swap. A light engine costs $1200-$1300. I mentioned the DMD board and he said that is the first thing they have been told to replace. He said he is pretty sure that Samsung is getting tired of having to drop $1200 on a repair. He said he should have an answer for me by Tuesday.

I will post follow up. I trust Samsung will do the right thing, eh?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page