Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkevinli View Post

I see it too. I don't think its a defect. I think it its a reflection of something behind the screen.

The circle I see is just south east of center and there is a 2nd slightly dimmer circle of equal size that is directly above the brighter one. It does almost appear to be a reflection of some kind from within or behind the screen. It's distracting enough during dark scenes that I will check with Samsung support to see what can be done. Almost perfect...I love everything else about my 6189S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 08:45 PM

I have been following this thread since it started and I have a question which has been bothering me. Everyone seems to say that these TVs will not transmit 5.1 over HDMI through the TV to the tuner. So does that mean that the only way to use HDMI and get 5.1 is to go from the cable box to a tuner, with HDMI inputs, to the TV? Is there a way to have HDMI go from the cable box to the TV and an optical output from the cable box go to a non-HDMI tuner without some kind of issue. I do need a new tuner, but wanted to wait for HDMI 1.3 to come out for tuners and be a reasonable price. If I am forced to use component to get 5.1 through my tuner, will HD DVI cable boxes transmit 1080 over component? By the way I have a COX HD DVI tuner. Thanks.
post #723 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 08:55 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpickens View Post

The circle I see is just south east of center and there is a 2nd slightly dimmer circle of equal size that is directly above the brighter one. It does almost appear to be a reflection of some kind from within or behind the screen. It's distracting enough during dark scenes that I will check with Samsung support to see what can be done. Almost perfect...I love everything else about my 6189S.

I wonder if this is coming about because they simply slimmed these cabinets down too much and now we are starting to see thorugh the screen?

Kind of like looking through frosted glass. Most objects are not visible at all, but as soon as you get close enough you could probably read the label off of a shampoo bottle.
post #724 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo76 View Post

Everyone seems to say that these TVs will not transmit 5.1 over HDMI through the TV to the tuner. So does that mean that the only way to use HDMI and get 5.1 is to go from the cable box to a tuner, with HDMI inputs, to the TV? Is there a way to have HDMI go from the cable box to the TV and an optical output from the cable box go to a non-HDMI tuner without some kind of issue.

The way I read it was that if you try to go cable box -> TV -> tuner you only get 2 channel audio, but if you go cable box -> tuner you should be fine.
post #725 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 09:08 PM

Thank you AVS forums, for making me buy a HTL6189s. Long reader of this forum, decided to register to place blame for my purchase. Shipping tomorrow then 3-7 days to find a stand.
I'm just happy I will never have to move the 275lb Sony XBR again after this arrives.
post #726 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:

I have been following this thread since it started and I have a question which has been bothering me. Everyone seems to say that these TVs will not transmit 5.1 over HDMI through the TV to the tuner. So does that mean that the only way to use HDMI and get 5.1 is to go from the cable box to a tuner, with HDMI inputs, to the TV? Is there a way to have HDMI go from the cable box to the TV and an optical output from the cable box go to a non-HDMI tuner without some kind of issue. I do need a new tuner, but wanted to wait for HDMI 1.3 to come out for tuners and be a reasonable price. If I am forced to use component to get 5.1 through my tuner, will HD DVI cable boxes transmit 1080 over component? By the way I have a COX HD DVI tuner. Thanks.

Are you referring to 1080p? There is no channel that broadcasts a 1080p signal and therefore I would say that no cable box would output at 1080p. BUT component can carry a 1080p signal.

To be simple and without having to go out and buy a DVI -> HDMI adapter doesn't COX have a Tuner that outputs via HDMI? You could run optical from your tuner to your receiver instead of going through the tv if you wanted to. (that's what I do with my Comcast box...bad thing is is that I think the HDMI port is broke on my box and it's a DVR box so I will loose everything I recorded )

Final HD DVD movie count: 61
HD-A35

Blu Ray: 47
Newest: Batman Begins
PS3

I peed Purple until March '08.
post #727 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 09:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbadger View Post

I have followed this thread from the beginning and this was asked but I couldn't find if the answer was posted.

What is the width of the base on the 61" model? I want to determine if my current stand will work.

Thanks

The information you want is in the first message in this thread.
post #728 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Are you referring to 1080p? There is no channel that broadcasts a 1080p signal and therefore I would say that no cable box would output at 1080p. BUT component can carry a 1080p signal.

Maybe I should be a little more clear. I realize that there are no cable companies transmitting 1080p. Since the HLT-XX will not do 5.1 through the TV, I will have to run component, because I don't have a A/V receiver with HDMI inputs, from the cable box to my A/V Receiver and then to the TV. What is the maximum signal I can get from a HD cable box using component? 1080i, 720p or 480i/p? I would call and ask, but I am currently deployed and unable to do so.

In addition, has anyone seen any of the problems that have been talked about with the new Samsung flat panel LN-TXX65/61, on the HLT-XX. Black crush, HDMI handshaking and HDMI flickering? It doesn't seem that these sets have any deal breaker issues and they are half the price of flat panels. If no deal breaker issues show up in the next month, this is the TV I am going to buy. I am going to go with the 89s though for the HDMI 1.3. I have not seen HDMI 1.3 mentioned on any of the 87s.
post #729 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbadger View Post

I have followed this thread from the beginning and this was asked but I couldn't find if the answer was posted.

What is the width of the base on the 61" model? I want to determine if my current stand will work.

Thanks

Don't quote me on it, but I think someone said the TV stand's width is 41.5". Too bad Samsung only gives the meaningless width of the TV itself and not its stand. Well, I guess that larger # would be meaningful for those planning to put the TV in a compartment within the wall or a large entertainment center that could be closed.

Procrastination is the thief of time.
-- Edward Young

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

You shouldn't mix meditation with management.
The mind gets too empty.

-- Scott Adams, "Dilbert"
post #730 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:

You can use HDMI direct from Cox cable box to TV for video and use optical audio cable from Cox cable to a/v receiver for 5.1 audio and you're set. I don't have HDMI on my receiver (waiting for the Denon AVR-3808 with 1.3) and still use HDMI for video and get 5.1 audio through optical.
post #731 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Everyone seems to say that these TVs will not transmit 5.1 over HDMI through the TV to the tuner.

That's probably true, but there are two different model lines -- "87" and "89". I'm not sure that it's been established that neither of them can pass 5.1 from HDMI through the TV to the digital audio output on the TV. It will take a little more time to be sure.

Quote:

So does that mean that the only way to use HDMI and get 5.1 is to go from the cable box to a tuner, with HDMI inputs, to the TV?

I'm assuming that by "tuner" you mean an A/V receiver.

If you have an A/V receiver with HDMI inputs you can go from the STB(TV tuner) for cable or satellite service to the A/V receiver using a HDMI cable if the STB has a HDMI output. If your STB has a DVI output then you can use a DVI to HDMI cable. (In your case that's what you will need.)

That gets the audio (5.1) audio signal and the video signal to the A/V receiver. To get the video signal to the TV you need a second HDMI cable to connect from the A/V receiver's output to the TV's input.

If you don't have an A/V receiver with HDMI ports you can still do the same thing. You connect the STB to your TV with either a HDMI cable (or DVI to HDMI cable) for video. The STB will also have a separate digital audio output (either optical or coax) that you can connect directly to the A/V receiver for 5.1 surround sound. This is the method that most people with surround sound use at the present time.

Quote:

Is there a way to have HDMI go from the cable box to the TV and an optical output from the cable box go to a non-HDMI tuner without some kind of issue.

Yes. See above. The only issue is how you control what you are watching and hearing. You have to select the TV channel with your STB controller, and select the audio input you want with the A/V receiver remote. Or you can use a universal remote and teach it to it all with one button.

Quote:

I do need a new tuner, but wanted to wait for HDMI 1.3 to come out for tuners and be a reasonable price.

Using "A/V receiver" instead of "tuner" will be understood by many more people hear at AVS. An A/V receiver may have a AM/FM radio tuner in it, but most people don't refer to is as a tuner. On the other hand, it's common to use "tuner" for STBs or DVRs.

Quote:

If I am forced to use component to get 5.1 through my tuner

Component connections are for video only so you are force to use the separate digital output on your STB if you want 5.1 surround sound. It's best to connect component directly to the TV and not go through the A/V receiver using component. Any extra component connections can degrade it's analog signal.

Quote:

By the way I have a COX HD DVI tuner.

Your Cox STB can be connected to your TV with either a DVI to HDMI cable or a component three cable set. In either case, you would use the digital audio cable (optical or coax) that fits the digital audio output of your Cox STB. If you also want audio to the TV then you can use the separate RCA stereo connection on your STB. One of the HDMI inputs on your TV is also paired with two RCA jacks for stereo audio. If you want audio to the TV with a component connection you have to use the RCA jacks associated with the component input that you are using. Some people always use their A/V receiver for TV audio and never make those stereo (RCA) connections.

You may have more questions.
post #732 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Maybe I should be a little more clear. I realize that there are no cable companies transmitting 1080p. Since the HLT-XX will not do 5.1 through the TV, I will have to run component, because I don't have a A/V receiver with HDMI inputs, from the cable box to my A/V Receiver and then to the TV. What is the maximum signal I can get from a HD cable box using component? 1080i, 720p or 480i/p? I would call and ask, but I am currently deployed and unable to do so.

1080i is the max since it is a cable box and since there is no need for it to output 1080p.

HD-A35

PS3

post #733 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Maybe I should be a little more clear. I realize that there are no cable companies transmitting 1080p. Since the HLT-XX will not do 5.1 through the TV, I will have to run component, because I don't have a A/V receiver with HDMI inputs, from the cable box to my A/V Receiver and then to the TV.

This would have been a much easier post to reply to.

I think dpickens covered it all while I was working on your previous post.
post #734 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 10:05 PM

[quote=Dingo76]Maybe I should be a little more clear. I realize that there are no cable companies transmitting 1080p. Since the HLT-XX will not do 5.1 through the TV, I will have to run component, because I don't have a A/V receiver with HDMI inputs, from the cable box to my A/V Receiver and then to the TV. What is the maximum signal I can get from a HD cable box using component? 1080i, 720p or 480i/p? I would call and ask, but I am currently deployed and unable to do so.

You don't need an HDMI-capable receiver to do what you're wanting. Just use HDMI from the Cox cable box direct to TV for video and use an optical cable from Cox cable box to your AV receiver for 5.1 audio and you're all set.
post #735 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 10:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

In addition, has anyone seen any of the problems that have been talked about with the new Samsung flat panel LN-TXX65/61, on the HLT-XX. Black crush, HDMI handshaking and HDMI flickering?

Keep in mind that HDMI handshaking problems have almost all been traced to STB firmware problems. At least that's true in the RPTV threads that I've followed. I'm not sure about flat panel threads, but I don't know why it should be any different.
post #736 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 10:25 PM

Thanks for your informative reply htwaits.

I will be sure to use the term "receiver" in the future. I was just concerned that if I ran HDMI, which transmits video and audio, to the TV and then ran optical to the A/V receiver at the same time, the cable box would get confused about which way to send the audio and I would experience audio issues. However, from all your replys that does not seem to be an issue. I am new to HDTVs, so that is why I am asking the noob question. It was so much easier when all I had to deal with was S-video and optical. Why couldn't the HLT just have a 5.1 receiver, how annoying. I will buy this set anyway.

I was originally going to buy a flat panel Samsung, but the HLTs don't seem to have nearly as many problems as those sets do. In addition, with the LED versus the normal bulb, I don't have to worry about replacement.

Thanks for all the help guys.
post #737 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Dweller View Post

Strange that it won't let you choose Warm 1 in Movie mode. Perhaps it depends on which input you're using, although I don't why that would be the case. I have my set in Movie mode and it allows me to choose Warm 1 temp, but I'm feeding it via HDMI 1 (HD cable DVR) and HDMI 2 (PS3).

When you get your HD cable going, you really should notice a very big improvement when viewing HD channels. I'm really impressed with the TV when it's fed with an HD source and I've practically stopped watching SD channels since I got it. As it's been said already, SD channels will never look great.

If your HD cable box has an HDMI output, use it instead of component or S-Video. My cable box has an HDMI output, but my cable company (Comcast) only provides component cables. You may need to go get yourself an HDMI cable, but wait until you get your box to make sure.

When I switched to movie mode, it did let me go to the warm settings, I guess I didnt say that clear enough, I was in the standard mode I believe.

I hope the picture improves. The cable company comes out today to hook up my hi-def DVR. I have a HDMI cable now thats not being used if they dont supply them.
post #738 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 11:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for your informative reply htwaits.

You're welcome.

Quote:

I was just concerned that if I ran HDMI, which transmits video and audio, to the TV and then ran optical to the A/V receiver at the same time, the cable box would get confused about which way to send the audio and I would experience audio issues.

There won't be any issues, but depending on which cable STB you have, you may need to configure it to output digital audio when you use a DVI or HDMI connection. Your cable company or a member here at AVS with your STB model will be able to tell you what's necessary.

Quote:

Why couldn't the HLT just have a 5.1 receiver, how annoying. I will buy this set anyway.

Most customers wouldn't want to pay for it.
post #739 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckeyBoss View Post

I hope the picture improves. The cable company comes out today to hook up my hi-def DVR. I have a HDMI cable now thats not being used if they dont supply them.

They should....However way you want to get it connected to your tv they will(should) do. I got an HDMI cable from a friend that works for Comcast, so that's why I say that.

On a side note.....
I know I posted this but I CANNOT find the post to save my life.

Can the TV output 5.1 from an OTA signal? I'm sure it can, but nothing has come on in the past couple days to test it to see.

A few things to note about my set from what I have been reading from others....
  • I am not having issues with brightness in the s/w corner of the screen
  • The only time I see a "light spot" is when the set is off and not like others that sees them when the screen is black but still on.

HD-A35

PS3

post #740 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagaden View Post

Were you initially getting overscan (picture extends too far) or underscan (picture doesn't reach the edges)? Also, what set do you have? Size? Model?

TIA

Overscan, HL-T6189S
post #741 of 14889 Old 04-15-2007, 11:36 PM

Have not read through the whole thread, but will the Xbox 360's HD-DVD player and 360 Elite be able to play on the HDMI 1.3. Because i believe they will support a lower model of HDMI? Basically is 1.3 compatible to lower version? As you can tell im new to this.

and what forum am i aloud to ask if Vann's or Crutchfield are good store are not? and if their warranty's are well backed? Because J&R doesn't have the 61 " or the 89 models, just 87's 56". and if they charge TAX?......
post #742 of 14889 Old 04-16-2007, 12:08 AM

Got a 6189S coming in and I have been looking at stands. Any recommendations? I prefer something lighter in color, maple or birch with enclosed components. The Salamander Synergy stands fit the bill nicely, but I want to see if there is anything else out there. Time to remove that wall mount and plasma...
post #743 of 14889 Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
How do the viewing angles of these sets compare to the viewing angles of a Sony SXRD?
post #744 of 14889 Old 04-16-2007, 12:20 AM

Re-posting post, it got stuck on the bottom of last page.

Have not read through the whole thread, but will the Xbox 360's HD-DVD player and 360 Elite be able to play on the HDMI 1.3. Because i believe they will support a lower model of HDMI? Basically is 1.3 compatible to lower version? As you can tell im new to this.

and what forum am i aloud to ask if Vann's or Crutchfield are good store are not? and if their warranty's are well backed? Because J&R doesn't have the 61 " or the 89 models, just 87's 56". and if they charge TAX?......
post #745 of 14889 Old 04-16-2007, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Nevermind, found it, according to Crutchfield.

HLT6187S = 140 degree H, 60 degree V
60A2020 = 130 degree H, 60 degree V

How about the JVC 61FN97?
post #746 of 14889 Old 04-16-2007, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckeyBoss View Post

When I switched to movie mode, it did let me go to the warm settings, I guess I didnt say that clear enough, I was in the standard mode I believe.

Once you get it hooked up, try the settings I mentioned earlier in this thread and let us know how it looks. Most importantly, make sure the TV is in Movie mode and DNIe is OFF.
post #747 of 14889 Old 04-16-2007, 05:13 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I am interested in taking a look at one of these. I will make a deal to the first person in Houston who has one and wants it calibrated.
post #748 of 14889 Old 04-16-2007, 05:17 AM

Well... if you could get to Kentucky, I'll have mine on Tuesday!
post #749 of 14889 Old 04-16-2007, 06:47 AM

If you want to drive up to Austin, mine will be here today.
post #750 of 14889 Old 04-16-2007, 06:55 AM

When hooking my HTPC running at 1920x1080 to the VGA port, there are a couple displaying options:

1. WIDE PC - it looks like it underscans the display to show the whole desktop
2. WIDE TV - it looks like it is similar to "JUST SCAN" option on the HDMI port as it does 1:1 pixel mapping and the picture is overscaned

Has anybody else noticed this?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page