2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 271 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
good question, i want to know when the 08's come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 11:11 AM

Got a new 6187S on Friday. Replaced a Tosh that was under warranty. The new set appears to have a problem that I'm not sure how to describe. A section of the picture extending from side to side and about 4-7" high scans from bottom to top slowly (i.e., 30 seconds to go clear to the top) and is slightly off color than the rest of the screen. At first I thought it had a green tint, but then it seemed to be blue. Many of these bands can be on the screen at one time. They are very faint, easily viewed only when there is a monocolor static background. I did not have this with the Tosh. It almost appears to be static generated by an electric motor, like a blender on the same circuit, but I isolated this circuit to the theater. BTW, signal from the cable box is switched through the receiver which pushes it through a 60' run of component cables. I was very careful to separate the signal cables from power runs.
The easy answer is replace the set. I will hook up my XBOX 360 tonight straight to Component 2 to see if the problem is still there. Have forum members experienced this before and are there any other simple tests that I might make to determine if the issue is TV or the rest of my system?

Thanks,
Greg
post #8103 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 11:41 AM

I got it on Friday, Dish Network hooked up the HD on Sunday, just in time to see the Chargers lose. I looks amazing! No problems so far. As to to the "sticker" thread, I only had the "Energy Star" sticker on it. The set was never unwrapped since the factory. SD channels look really good too. The shiny finish is hard to keep dust-free. I do live on a dirt road though. I have included a picture taken today watching CSI:Miami on A&E HD. There is a little light reflection on the screen. I need curtains! The stand is the "Lack", $69 from IKEA. A lot cheaper than the $400 one that goes with the TV.

I love this TV!
LL
post #8104 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 12:26 PM

I have just noticed that on the Big River site they have agknowledged the there is a HALO effect on some Sammies and that they have alerted the techs on how it can be repaired during a routine service call. Is this NEW?
post #8105 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 PM

i have also noticed that they have added an AX to model 6187S. What does the AX signify?
post #8106 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman337 View Post

I have just noticed that on the Big River site they have agknowledged the there is a HALO effect on some Sammies and that they have alerted the techs on how it can be repaired during a routine service call. Is this NEW?

It was already mentioned here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12242755
post #8107 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 01:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack01 View Post

I got it on Friday...
I love this TV!

Just to keep up, do you notice any halo effect or geometry issues?

Good to hear positive results otherwise.
post #8108 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 01:14 PM

Greetings,

If the alignment of your set is off, such that the picture is rotated slightly (no more than about 1/4" from end to end), I've discovered that there is a way to correct this without opening the set up (at least for the 5687).

At the back of the set, along the bottom edge of the rear cover, there are two sets of two oval holes. One set is close to the centre, below the model/serial number sticker. The other set is before the bend on the right (when viewed from the back).

For each set, through one hole is a black screw head. Through the other hole you can see metal with a small hole, behind which is the centre of the head of a silver phillips screw.

The two black screws are all that is holding the tray of the light engine to the chassis of the set. The silver screws create bump stops that determine how deep each side of the light engine slides into the set. So, by changing the position of the bump stops you can slightly change the position of the light engine assembly, thus changing the rotation of the projected image on the screen.

To adjust your set, loosen off one of the black screws, adjust the silver screw in or out, then retighten the black screw. Check for alignment and repeat as necessary with either of the two sets. Be careful not to over tighten the black screws or you might bend the edge of the tray. You will need a screwdriver with a narrow shaft to get at the silver screw.

You can make the adjustments while the set is on and displaying a suitable test pattern. If you haven't got one, here's a test pattern that you can use. Load it onto a flash drive and display it using the WiseLink USB port.
grid.jpg

Proceed at your own risk,
Scott
post #8109 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 01:33 PM

I will be buying a new surge protector when I finally get a tv. Someone once mentioned a Panamax max 2. When I find this online, it's fairly non-descriptive in terms of how to use it. In the pics I only see a grey box with one plug on the side. I am assuming the back of this grey box plugs into wall outlet (perhaps even both plugs?) and that there is another open 3 prong receptacle on the other side of the grey box (not visible in the pictures), giving you two outlets?

Assuming I'm mostly correct so far, can you then plug a power strip into the unit to increase outlets- does it work like this? It seems a waste of money if not since there would only be one (or two if on other side) outlets.

Also not sure of difference b/w the coax and RCA versions? Which would I need? I'm used to strip style surge protectors and not sure what I am looking at here http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ails/753007158

I am also looking at an APC be550 as a possibility due to Black Friday sales. It's made for computers- are there any reasons it wouldn't work for A/V equipment? It has a battery backup as well. I am assuming the main downside is no power conditioning vs the panamax? Any help is appreciated
post #8110 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbohnstedt View Post

Got a new 6187S on Friday. Replaced a Tosh that was under warranty. The new set appears to have a problem that I'm not sure how to describe. A section of the picture extending from side to side and about 4-7" high scans from bottom to top slowly (i.e., 30 seconds to go clear to the top) and is slightly off color than the rest of the screen. At first I thought it had a green tint, but then it seemed to be blue. Many of these bands can be on the screen at one time. They are very faint, easily viewed only when there is a monocolor static background. I did not have this with the Tosh. It almost appears to be static generated by an electric motor, like a blender on the same circuit, but I isolated this circuit to the theater. BTW, signal from the cable box is switched through the receiver which pushes it through a 60' run of component cables. I was very careful to separate the signal cables from power runs.
The easy answer is replace the set. I will hook up my XBOX 360 tonight straight to Component 2 to see if the problem is still there. Have forum members experienced this before and are there any other simple tests that I might make to determine if the issue is TV or the rest of my system?

Thanks,
Greg

Does sound like some type of interference or ground loop issue.

If you drive the set directly from a coax cable (broadcast) or HDMI cable directly from DVD source do you still see the patterns? Leave the receiver out of the equation. 60 foot run is a pretty good antenna.

Oppo Beta Group
post #8111 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm in the market and have skimmed this thread.

So I'm wondering... Given all the issues with the Sammy would you buy this TV again or go for the Mits or Sony SXRD A3000?

I've looked at all of these and it is a very close race to my eye... and I'm picky. They each have + & -

Interested if the current owners would buy something else if they had the chance?

thx for the input.

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
post #8112 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 02:54 PM

Well as a current owner I would for sure buy this unit again in a heart beat...that said I haven't had any issues other than the fact that the picture mode always reverts back to Dynamic. But IMO that is a pretty small deal.

HD-DVD - 15
BluRay - 30

There was a format war...Best Buy won, I lost.
post #8113 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

... So I'm wondering... Given all the issues with the Sammy would you buy this TV again or go for the Mits or Sony SXRD A3000? ...

I got my set in April and yes I would get the same Sammy again. I've been very pleased.

Avio
post #8114 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:

So I'm wondering... Given all the issues with the Sammy would you buy this TV again or go for the Mits or Sony SXRD A3000?

I've looked at all of these and it is a very close race to my eye... and I'm picky. They each have + & -

Interested if the current owners would buy something else if they had the chance?

thx for the input.

I narrowed it down between the Sony KDS-60A3000 but I just didn't see a TV on display in any store that did a decent job of upconverting SD channels. I think my Sammy does a great job with SD channels and an amazing job with HD channels, after applying some of the "tweaks" discussed in this forum.

You can't read a forum on any product and not get lots of negatives... that's one of the big benefits supplied by these user communities. Just don't take too much stock in the negative talk because you aren't hearing from most of the "estatic" population.

I have NO regrets that I went with the Sammy 6187!!!

Regards, Steve
post #8115 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack01 View Post

I got it on Friday, Dish Network hooked up the HD on Sunday, just in time to see the Chargers lose. I looks amazing! No problems so far. As to to the "sticker" thread, I only had the "Energy Star" sticker on it. The set was never unwrapped since the factory. SD channels look really good too. The shiny finish is hard to keep dust-free. I do live on a dirt road though. I have included a picture taken today watching CSI:Miami on A&E HD. There is a little light reflection on the screen. I need curtains! The stand is the "Lack", $69 from IKEA. A lot cheaper than the $400 one that goes with the TV.

I love this TV!

I don't see how you love the set from how bad the left side of the screen looks. It looks like your set has a problem big time!!
post #8116 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 03:36 PM

Anyone here using a Denon dvd 3910 with the x87 series ?

I'm starting to notice microblocking(?) , where in dark scenes the black kinda turns to that bluesh -purple like in the blue halo problem.(Noticed during Van Helsing dvd in VH's jacket and hair in dark scenes)
I don't think its my player , cause I see it also on cable HD content also.( Noticed during the show Moonlight).

I hate to gamble on a replacement set , cause my geometry is great , but I don't know if that lense cap fix will cure everything I'm seeing ?
...................................Thanks , Shawners
post #8117 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 PM

Does anyone have a 6187 or 89 connected to an Oppo 980? I am thinking of getting this combo but would be interested in hearing how good the 1080p upconverting is for standard DVD's. Thanks for the feedback, this forum is loaded with useful information for prospective buyers.
post #8118 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 04:05 PM

Hey stillwatertownie, I snapped a quick photo of my set this morning just to show it in the forum. My room doesn't have curtains opposite the TV, so it had a lot of glare. I will try and take another picture when the sun goes down.

It is an amazing picture. Everything looks like it is working fine. I can't wait to get a 1080p source to see the "FULL HD"! My Dish Network DVR is only 1080i.

It still looks great!
post #8119 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawners View Post

Anyone here using a Denon dvd 3910 with the x87 series ?

I'm starting to notice microblocking(?) , where in dark scenes the black kinda turns to that bluesh -purple like in the blue halo problem.(Noticed during Van Helsing dvd in VH's jacket and hair in dark scenes)
I don't think its my player , cause I see it also on cable HD content also.( Noticed during the show Moonlight).

I hate to gamble on a replacement set , cause my geometry is great , but I don't know if that lense cap fix will cure everything I'm seeing ?
...................................Thanks , Shawners

I had the Denon 3930CI and was not impressed. It looked great on my friends' TVs' but just didn't cut it on mine for whatever reason and actually looked better in 480P mode via component than 1080P via HDMI. I have heard a few calibrators imply that Denon DVD players don't work well with DLPs and this is what I noticed in my case.

I sold it and picked up the Toshiba XA2 HD DVD player with the Reon chip in it and was blown away with the upconversion not to mention it plays HD DVDs too!!

Sweet!!!
post #8120 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5pen View Post

Does anyone have a 6187 or 89 connected to an Oppo 980? I am thinking of getting this combo but would be interested in hearing how good the 1080p upconverting is for standard DVD's. Thanks for the feedback, this forum is loaded with useful information for prospective buyers.

6189s using Oppo 980H ( no macroblocking issues) offers excellent PQ with almost no video noise or artifacts at 1080P using movie mode. Highly recommended!

Note the Oppo 980H is a Audioholics 2007 Consumer Excellence Award Winner, and About.com has it listed as one of the Home Theater - Favorite Products Of The Year - 2007

Oppo Beta Group
post #8121 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:

thx for the input.

I really liked the set. It had too many problems so I'm returning it for a Sony KDS-60A3000. If that set has a problem I would get another 6187. The only design complaint I had was that the speakers were a little weak for my taste.

Other than the speakers, if my set didn't have so many issues (buzz on high contrast images, purple/green colors where they shouldn't be, halo, etc.) I would have been very happy with it.

What's a signature?
post #8122 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict gamer View Post

Nice so it accepts the 1080p 24hz signal. Question is what is does with it after.
So can anyone say if the display is 120 hz or 60hz. How does it handle the 3/2 pulldown?

The display reads 60hz or the HLT xx87's. However, if I'm right, to show 24hz a firm upgrade is needed.
post #8123 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

6189s using Oppo 980H ( no macroblocking issues) offers excellent PQ with almost no video noise or artifacts at 1080P using movie mode. Highly recommended!

jim5pen, I second JohnAV's comments. Although my screen is 5" smaller on the diag, my OPPO 980 and 5689S are a great combo!

In addition to Movie Mode, be sure "Just Scan" P.SIZE is selected, not "16:9", to get 1:1 pixel mapping.

Avio
post #8124 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 PM

How do games look on this set?
post #8125 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:

thx for the input.

It is a great set if you get a good one. The chances of getting a good one though aren't that great. I had 2. The first one had the halo and the second one had the halo, severe geometry issues, popping noise from the frame around the screen, loud buzzing, and an issue where the remote would not work after having the tv on for about 30 minutes. Decided I was wasting to much time on returns so I went with my second choice of the Sony 60A3000. But if you get a good one....WOW
post #8126 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyman View Post

It is a great set if you get a good one. The chances of getting a good one though aren't that great. I had 2. The first one had the halo and the second one had the halo, severe geometry issues, popping noise from the frame around the screen, loud buzzing, and an issue where the remote would not work after having the tv on for about 30 minutes. Decided I was wasting to much time on returns so I went with my second choice of the Sony 60A3000. But if you get a good one....WOW

Sad we didn't have enough information to resolve the halo issue (reflective lens cap) with the first display as known now. Things would have been different for you.

Oppo Beta Group
post #8127 of 14903 Old 11-19-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pel1300 View Post

How do games look on this set?

simply put, they look amazing. I've tried my PS3, 360 and PC. Not a single problem so far. I have the 50" HLT5087S, bought from amazon.com

Crysis looks amazing on it and heavenly sword was pretty damn nice. I love watching apocalypto on it, the colors of the forest and the fast paced scenes look so good.
post #8128 of 14903 Old 11-20-2007, 01:31 AM

Can someone tell me what the latest firmware is? I just bought a 6187s and checked my firmware and it was 1028. The last firmware I saw listed in this thread was 1026. Is 1028 pretty new?
post #8129 of 14903 Old 11-20-2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXXp View Post

Greetings,

If the alignment of your set is off, such that the picture is rotated slightly (no more than about 1/4" from end to end), I've discovered that there is a way to correct this without opening the set up (at least for the 5687).

grid.jpg

Proceed at your own risk,
Scott

WooHooo!...I just checked my 5089 with the test grid and geometry is Perfect!! There are some perfect sets out there...no halo or green push or anything else...must be livin right

Eastern NC.
Come on Plasma and LCD guys!...you know that the DLP format is better!...& You can be format neutral if you want but the war is over...BluRay won!
post #8130 of 14903 Old 11-20-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFlag79 View Post

Can someone tell me what the latest firmware is? I just bought a 6187s and checked my firmware and it was 1028. The last firmware I saw listed in this thread was 1026. Is 1028 pretty new?

Sounds pretty new...I have a 6187s I got at the end of Aug and it has 1023...I just want 1026 so I can get rid of the Dynamic bug...I wonder what 1028 fixes? I can't even think of things I would think need fixed...seems like there are more firmware updates for this set than my HD-DVD player and that thing is buggy as hell.

HD-DVD - 15
BluRay - 30

There was a format war...Best Buy won, I lost.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page