Forum Jump: 

post #8131 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckobros View Post

A spider made a home up in the corner perhaps? Not trying to be silly, but my old mits had some weird patterns and such across the screen, I opened it up and a spider had made a bunch of webs inside. Cleaned them out and the set looked great again.

Thanks geckobros, I don't think that is what it is. I decided to open a service ticket on the problem as I think it is getting worse. Here are some pics that I provided to Samsung.

It seems like the light engine sprung a leak and some ambient light from the LED's are leaking into the reflection chamber.

Here are the pics. None of them are great, I don't have a steady hand, but in the upper left hand corner of the screen, you can see the screen is "going blind", the bright spots appear no matter what is displayed on the screen.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/prijohaman/brightspot.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8132 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 10:11 AM

Has anyone actually discovered whether the HTLxx87s is HDMI version 1.1 or version 1.3?

Samsungs website says v1.3.
post #8133 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn1 View Post

Has anyone actually discovered whether the HTLxx87s is HDMI version 1.1 or version 1.3?

Samsungs website says v1.3.

That horse has been beaten to death already. HTLxx87s has 1.1 and HLTxx89s has 1.3.
post #8134 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 AM

Anyone know if there are going to be any good deals on one of the 6189S sets this Monday?
post #8135 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 11:19 AM

MY HALO IS FIXED!

The part that needs fixing is so simple, some of you may be daring enough to try it out. I put a post up over at my site that includes a web cam snap of the culprit part.

My ticket number is #4001700442 if you want to talk to Samsung about it, but give it at least until tomorrow so the tech has time to update the file.

Here's a link to my site that has the picture and some brief instructions on how to fix it yourself if you want to try.

http://palehour.com/index.php?PBPost=25
post #8136 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleZer0 View Post

MY HALO IS FIXED!

The part that needs fixing is so simple, some of you may be daring enough to try it out. I put a post up over at my site that includes a web cam snap of the culprit part.

My ticket number is #4001700442 if you want to talk to Samsung about it, but give it at least until tomorrow so the tech has time to update the file.

Here's a link to my site that has the picture and some brief instructions on how to fix it yourself if you want to try.

http://palehour.com/index.php?PBPost=25

So did you have the part replaced with a "black" version from samsung.. or did you just paint it yourself.. if you painted it .. what sort of paint did you use?

I have the green blob issue alot, during dark scenes.. like on Heroes etc... I was hesitant to even have Samsung do anything, as with the last set they screwed up the geometry.. so i was lucky i was within 30 days and got the new set.. now this one with the blueish purplish blobs.

If this can be done fairly easily without screwing up the geometry this is very cool indeed.

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8137 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 11:41 AM

you didn't by any chance also take a couple of pictures of the light engine to see where the screws are?
post #8138 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 11:42 AM

Mine was replaced, but the part that went back in appeared almost hand painted.

I'm not sure what kind of paint to use, but I would suggest just roughing up the surface first and then buying as flat and non glossy of a black paint as you can find.

Theoretically, it should all be easy, but do so at your own risk.
post #8139 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 AM

No sorry, I didn't get any pictures of the inside but the whole thing just slides out, so the primary screws are pretty apparent.

If you do this your going to take this large chunk that has the black lens on the top of it. Then you just take the first glass part off of the lens (there is another glass lens beneath it) and you'll see the ring.
post #8140 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM

I just got a new HLT5687S from amazon yesterday and I have a display issue with watching only direct tv.

I have an older hughes tivo dvr direct tv box, connected with monster svga cables and the standard video rca cables (monster brand).

My issue is, I see a black bar (from left to the right) about 2 or 3 inches in height scrolling upwards, when its nearly to the top (about 80% of the way up) i see the same sized bar but white (washed out color) starting at the bottom and it scrolls up and repeats, black, white, black white... during cartoon (brite color shows) its not as noticeable but during movies espically dark (or changing the channel and see an all black screen) its very noticeable.

the black bar is really a washed out black bar (just darker then the colors) but on a black screen its lighter.

I played a dvd movie from 2 different dvd players and the movie doesnt display this on the screen, i also hooked up my xbox and that too doesnt have the bars scrolling up.

It seems like its my direct tv box but i can plug in my old tv (samsung 55 inch hdtv rear projection) and it displays correctly as well as a normal 27 inch crt tv...

I really like the tv, i dont want to send it back, but i dont want to keep a defective unit. Or worse yet, its not defective but my direct tv tivo box is too old...

any help would be appericated, also....

one other thing, it seems to hum pretty loud (its noticeable if the sound is less then 10) my wife said its sounds like that movie back to the future when marty cranked up the amps to play his guitar...
post #8141 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleZer0 View Post

No sorry, I didn't get any pictures of the inside but the whole thing just slides out, so the primary screws are pretty apparent.

If you do this your going to take this large chunk that has the black lens on the top of it. Then you just take the first glass part off of the lens (there is another glass lens beneath it) and you'll see the ring.

I don't plan to do it myself (I have an extended warranty) but I have the feeling the service center here might not know anything, so the more info I give them (esp. on how to install it) the less likely they'll mess things up.

thanks anyways for the page and the pic of the ring
post #8142 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyla View Post

That horse has been beaten to death already. HTLxx87s has 1.1 and HLTxx89s has 1.3.

True, but as someone pointed out previously, the 50" 87's are now showing 1.3 on Samsung's site.

Does anyone know if/when that change will make it to the 56 and 61 87's?

Thanks
post #8143 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 PM

Hi All, I'm new to the forum, this being my first post. For once, I have some speculative information that I can distribute.

I purchased the hlt6187s back in October, and immediately sent it to the shop to have the halo problem fixed. I sent it to the shop because the shop said they couldn't fix it here. It's been gone for 4 weeks on Thursday. Today, Samsung finally came through on an exchange, as I'm tired of waiting on them to come up with a solution with the shop. Samsung has been "working" to find the solution for the whole time, even though I've sent the shop the cause with the lens cover. Whatever the case may be, I'm getting a new set.

The question has been asked about the "AX" at the end of the model number. According to Samsung, I am getting the SAX model in place of the S model that I currently have. The person that I talked to was under the impression that the halo problem had been fixed on the SAX model.

The fact that no one has been able to provide any information on the AX model either means that 1.) the guy at Samsung is incorrect on the speculation and it's a myth, or 2.) the AX model doesn't have the halo problems, which is why there are no posts on here yet from people with the AX model with the halo issue (in fact, i can't see where any post has indicated that the AX model has any issues).

Thoughts?
post #8144 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsebastian View Post

Hi All, I'm new to the forum, this being my first post. For once, I have some speculative information that I can distribute.

I purchased the hlt6187s back in October, and immediately sent it to the shop to have the halo problem fixed. I sent it to the shop because the shop said they couldn't fix it here. It's been gone for 4 weeks on Thursday. Today, Samsung finally came through on an exchange, as I'm tired of waiting on them to come up with a solution with the shop. Samsung has been "working" to find the solution for the whole time, even though I've sent the shop the cause with the lens cover. Whatever the case may be, I'm getting a new set.

The question has been asked about the "AX" at the end of the model number. According to Samsung, I am getting the SAX model in place of the S model that I currently have. The person that I talked to was under the impression that the halo problem had been fixed on the SAX model.

The fact that no one has been able to provide any information on the AX model either means that 1.) the guy at Samsung is incorrect on the speculation and it's a myth, or 2.) the AX model doesn't have the halo problems, which is why there are no posts on here yet from people with the AX model with the halo issue (in fact, i can't see where any post has indicated that the AX model has any issues).

Thoughts?

Once you get your AX model, I'm sure many here would like to know if it has any of the "issues" others have had. So do this...

1. Get the purple halo test pattern and try it. Let us know how well your AX model fares.

2. Let us know if you preceive any "green push".

3. Let us know how the geometry is.

4. See if you have the )))))))))))) (((((((((((( on your screen 3 - 4 inches from the bottom. This can only be seen when you are about 2 - 3 feet from the screen.

I think that's the main ones. An if you don't have the purple halo, disassemble your set to see if it has a black lens ring. (Just kidding)
post #8145 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 02:10 PM

I'll definitely take a good look for all the known issues. I think it's going to be 10-14 days before they come with the replacement, though.
post #8146 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post

Once you get your AX model, I'm sure many here would like to know if it has any of the "issues" others have had. So do this...

1. Get the purple halo test pattern and try it. Let us know how well your AX model fares.

2. Let us know if you preceive any "green push".

3. Let us know how the geometry is.

4. See if you have the )))))))))))) (((((((((((( on your screen 3 - 4 inches from the bottom. This can only be seen when you are about 2 - 3 feet from the screen.

I think that's the main ones. An if you don't have the purple halo, disassemble your set to see if it has a black lens ring. (Just kidding)

I picked my tv up from sears this past saturday.

It's the AX model with 1028 firmware.

1. I haven't noticed any halo issues, if you have a link or post # where I can download this image, I'll check it out.

2. I'm not noticing any green push. I've tried SD HD xbox 360 and my A2 dvd player, and couldn't replicate any of the pictures I have seen on the forum as examples.

3. I used one of the grid images from this thread, and my geometry looks pretty spot on as far as I can tell. I thought I was getting some inward bowing near the bottom on 4:3 material, but it ended up just being on that one program, I never noticed it again, and the grid looked straight in that area.

4. I've searched for the )))))))))))) (((((((((((( from every angle I could, and at different distances. Either it's not there, or my eyes aren't good enough to see it.

Only issue I noticed was with the overscan image I downloaded from here, it didn't line up with the tip of the arrows, so there is a bit of overscan......Not much though, I haven't hooked up my pc yet to see if anything is cut off.
post #8147 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:

The person that I talked to was under the impression that the halo problem had been fixed on the SAX model.

What did they say to you, exactly? I don't know how one gets the 'impression' that it had been fixed. It either has been fixed or it hasnt, and they shouldn't be speculating about it.
post #8148 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 03:03 PM

Greetings,

Since many people here are interested in the details of the "halo" problem fix, I decided to write up a document illustrating the procedure.

Note that this is not an official document. It was created from observing a technician working on my set. Use it at your own risk! I take no responsibility for any problems caused by its use.

It's in PDF format and you can get it from here:

halo_fix.pdf

Sorry if the download is a bit slow. Feel free to post it or distribute it anywhere else.

Any corrections or comments are welcome.

P.S. I think that the reason that there is no part number for the replacement ring is because it comes from an assembly that is not normally considered to be field serviceable. I don't even think Samsung makes the assembly themselves.

Regards,
Scott
post #8149 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXXp View Post

Since many people here are interested in the details of the "halo" problem fix, I decided to write up a document illustrating the procedure.

wow, thanks for putting in so much work on this (and nice pics too!)
post #8150 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Greetings,

Damn. I don't even have that problem, but I think it's pretty cool you put together that guide
post #8151 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taetew View Post

I just got a new HLT5687S from amazon yesterday and I have a display issue with watching only direct tv.

I have an older hughes tivo dvr direct tv box, connected with monster svga cables and the standard video rca cables (monster brand).

My issue is, I see a black bar (from left to the right) about 2 or 3 inches in height scrolling upwards, when its nearly to the top (about 80% of the way up) i see the same sized bar but white (washed out color) starting at the bottom and it scrolls up and repeats, black, white, black white... during cartoon (brite color shows) its not as noticeable but during movies espically dark (or changing the channel and see an all black screen) its very noticeable.

the black bar is really a washed out black bar (just darker then the colors) but on a black screen its lighter.

I played a dvd movie from 2 different dvd players and the movie doesnt display this on the screen, i also hooked up my xbox and that too doesnt have the bars scrolling up.

It seems like its my direct tv box but i can plug in my old tv (samsung 55 inch hdtv rear projection) and it displays correctly as well as a normal 27 inch crt tv...

I really like the tv, i dont want to send it back, but i dont want to keep a defective unit. Or worse yet, its not defective but my direct tv tivo box is too old...

any help would be appericated, also....

one other thing, it seems to hum pretty loud (its noticeable if the sound is less then 10) my wife said its sounds like that movie back to the future when marty cranked up the amps to play his guitar...

Welcome to AVS Taetew,

From your description it sounds like you "may" be suffering from a ground loop problem.

Is your dvr plugged into the same electrical outlet as the tv?

If you do not have the same problems when plugging other dvd players in, your set should be fine.

Give us more info on how your gear is plugged in.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8152 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzak84 View Post

What did they say to you, exactly? I don't know how one gets the 'impression' that it had been fixed. It either has been fixed or it hasnt, and they shouldn't be speculating about it.

The customer service guy said something to the effect of: "I was talking with someone else here at Samsung today, and it is our understanding that the halo issue is fixed in the AX model, but I haven't been able to confirm that".

It came as a surprise to me, because I haven't been able to get ANYONE at Samsung to admit that there was a problem in the LED models with the halo effect. I've talked to at least 5 people when getting a status on my TV, and none of them have had a clue what the halo problem is, or so they have said. I guess it's normal for them to be tight-lipped about the issue, so that everyone doesn't come to them wanting a replacement, even if they don't have issues.

I talked to my tech this evening, and he said that there was, in fact, no part number (as eluded to in earlier posts) for the lens cap. He pointed out the fact that he had to order the part through the technical support group, rather than through the normal parts supply channel from Samsung. He said that in the past, Samsung basically refuses to mix the technical support group with the parts group. Also, the part hasn't been available until yesterday, hence why I'm getting a new TV instead of a fixed TV.
post #8153 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 07:05 PM

I have seen all the comparisons of the sammy vs. sony. What about the Sammy 6189 Vs. the Sammy 6176. Is there a big difference other than the light source.
post #8154 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 07:15 PM

^^Thanks for the clarification.
post #8155 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 07:36 PM

What are the recommended settings for the HLT6187S model??

CNET didn't review the HLT6187S, but they reviewed the HLT5687S, and gave tips on what settings to use in a dark room.

Are these two sets similar enough that I can use the recommended settings for the HLT5687S on my HLT6187S?

If not, then what would you recommend I use to calibrate my HLT6187S? I have the old 2001 Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune up DVD...but I think it's a bit outdated.

should I rent Ratatouille bluray and use the calibration test in that disc?
post #8156 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pel1300 View Post

What are the recommended settings for the HLT6187S model??

CNET didn't review the HLT6187S, but they reviewed the HLT5687S, and gave tips on what settings to use in a dark room.

Are these two sets similar enough that I can use the recommended settings for the HLT5687S on my HLT6187S?

If not, then what would you recommend I use to calibrate my HLT6187S? I have the old 2001 Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune up DVD...but I think it's a bit outdated.

should I rent Ratatouille bluray and use the calibration test in that disc?

Look here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=903513
post #8157 of 14896 Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 PM
L3X

I just got this 5697S and I love it. I am trying to tweak the settings to make everything look great and I was curious if anyone had any suggestions as to what to change. One thing I notice is that when I play COD4 on my Xbox 360 in Game Mode, its a bit dark and difficult to see opponents that are in a darker area at a long distance. I am just curious if anyone has some Game Mode, Standard, or Movie tweaks that they would suggest? General or exact settings would be very helpful.
post #8158 of 14896 Old 11-21-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prijo View Post

Thanks geckobros, I don't think that is what it is. I decided to open a service ticket on the problem as I think it is getting worse. Here are some pics that I provided to Samsung.

It seems like the light engine sprung a leak and some ambient light from the LED's are leaking into the reflection chamber.

Here are the pics. None of them are great, I don't have a steady hand, but in the upper left hand corner of the screen, you can see the screen is "going blind", the bright spots appear no matter what is displayed on the screen.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/prijohaman/brightspot.html

SAMSUNG CANCELLED MY TICKET!!!!!!

ARRGGHHHH

I sent them an email back with the pictures attached, perhaps they didn't actually "look" at the pictures I wrote about in the few characters they give you to describe the problem.

This is the first bad experience I've had with them, I hope they correct themselves.
post #8159 of 14896 Old 11-21-2007, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Greetings,

Note that this is not an official document. It was created from observing a technician working on my set. Use it at your own risk! I take no responsibility for any problems caused by its use.

It's in PDF format and you can get it from here:

halo_fix.pdf

Sorry if the download is a bit slow. Feel free to post it or distribute it anywhere else.

Any corrections or comments are welcome.

P.S. I think that the reason that there is no part number for the replacement ring is because it comes from an assembly that is not normally considered to be field serviceable. I don't even think Samsung makes the assembly themselves.

Regards,
Scott

Very nice work Scott. This document looks like something out of a well written service manual.

After reading through the procedure, I was wondering: Assuming this procedure is followed and no glitches were experienced along the way, is there anything that could affect the geometry of the picture. It seems to me that removing/replacing the lens assembly would provide a major opportunity for screwing up the geometry . Thoughts?
post #8160 of 14896 Old 11-21-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post

After reading through the procedure, I was wondering: Assuming this procedure is followed and no glitches were experienced along the way, is there anything that could affect the geometry of the picture.

Even though I gave a warning about the possibility of geometry and focus changes, in reality things are located and held in place quite solidly. There really isn't much chance that there would be more than a very slight change to the geometry.

The biggest possibility is that the tilt will be affected by the position of the light engine assembly when it's replaced, since it's more or less floating in the chassis. This can be corrected once the set is all back together. See my previous post here:
Tilt correction - post 8118

I'd be more worried about the paint that is used if you paint the part yourself. It would have to be a good paint for metal that would not deteriorate or flake over time.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page