Forum Jump: 

post #8341 of 14887 Old 11-28-2007, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

Congrats on finally getting your replacement set and for getting rid of the halo.

Here are the differences (that I can remember) that I have read about in this thread between new hlt-XX87SAX and older hlt-XX87SX/XXA:

SAX:
1) Made in U.S.A.
2) Major component in back rear relocated for easier service access.
3) New firmware series ?? I think someone reported version 1008 ??

I'm sure we will learn more as more new SAX owners post.

Avio

I have one and its firmware is 1028.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8342 of 14887 Old 11-28-2007, 06:09 PM

I have been following this thread for a while now, I have to admit the overall satisfaction I have sensed from the people here has led me to order the HLT6189, its arriving on Friday. After researching the whole plasma vs lcd vs dlp thing I find this unit really stood out as far as bang for your buck. The set is coming from Leon's, and I know my wife is gonna flip when she sees it! You can describe a 61" TV to someone but lets face, until they see it, it aint the same. Just wondering guys if there might be anything I should be sure of before my delivery guy leaves-- anything I should keep an eye out for before saying yeah everything is fine
post #8343 of 14887 Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
While watching tv on my 6189 the black bars on the sides appear to be brown or washed out and the top and bottom bars look the same when watching a dvd. Anyone else having this problem and if so how did you correct it.
post #8344 of 14887 Old 11-28-2007, 08:10 PM

The 97 has bluetooth... basically. though I don't know what good it is. I think it also has PIP capability. Whoopee
post #8345 of 14887 Old 11-28-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

I certainly don't believe that the HLT sets work for 1080p/24hz, no matter what the firmware is including 1026 when attempted with Toshiba HD players that output 1080p/24hz.

I know because I tried it with my set and only speaking when used with Toshiba HD player A30.

My HLT6187 has firmware version 1025. When connected to a PS3 set for forced 24Hz output, the tv displays 1920x1080@24Hz when the info button is pressed. However I don't know if the 24Hz is being properly converted to 120Hz without judder.
post #8346 of 14887 Old 11-28-2007, 08:31 PM

I got my 87 last weekend at CCity. They don't even have them on the floor. I had to ask for one... they had 3 in stock. Having owned a 2006 67" Samsung DLP I was anxious to see what the differences were. Bottom line... not much. Colors may be a little deeper and it seems to handle fast motion better (think football...). I calibrate my sets as soon as I get them using the Video Essentials DVD. The unit came with the Brightness jacked to 100% but the rest of the setting were at least in the ballpark. Looked better after I tweaked it to what Video Essentials recommends.

The thing I was leery about was Samsung's own website where they list the specs... They said it didn't even have Y Pb R jacks or whatever they are called. It does... I also like the fact that it has 3 HDMI one of which is "HDMI/DVI", ostensibly for plugging a computer in. It also has the standard VGA input just like it's larger cousin. All in all it's a very nice TV. Earth shattering... no. An incremental improvement... yes. I just like the fact that there is no bulb to mess with in the future. These things should last pretty much forever as far as I can tell unless the DLP chip or an LED goes south, which is pretty remote. Hmmm... what else. I don't think the built in speakers are as good as my old 67" unit. The are now "hidden".... Yeah, so is the sound. But I don't use it anyway since I have a JVC 802B AV amp/processor and a 7.1 speaker set. Which sounds awesome by the way. My "man cave" is a former under house garage that has been converted, at no small expense I might add, into a rather large video room. Basically 3 sides of the room are insulated drywall over concrete.. the only interior wall has a double layer (compacted) of fiberglass insulation with the ceiling stuffed with 12". You can hear a pin drop from across the room it's so quiet.

The only real "problem" I've encountered so far is with sound issues. In particular when I do a low frequency sound sweep with the Video Essentials DVD I found that there was a 96 Hz buzz in the room. Real prominent... searched around and guess what? It's the TV itself. Since it's essentially just a big box full of air anyway... it eventually resonates due to the large flat areas. I'm going to try strategically placing some extra RoadKill sound deadener (basically sitcky backed sheets of lead...) and see if I can get it to go away. Kinda weird, but these things happen and you jsut have to deal with it.

Any question, feel free.
post #8347 of 14887 Old 11-28-2007, 08:33 PM

I have a HT-T6189S and need to know how to find out the firmware.

Thanks,
John
post #8348 of 14887 Old 11-28-2007, 08:40 PM

So is Madden Football on the X360...
post #8349 of 14887 Old 11-28-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD10 View Post

Hi Guys,

I just purchased the Samsung HL-T6187S 61" LED from Crutchfield. It's sold out (ATM) and the expected ship date is 12/18/07 although the guy I ordered from on the phone said they may have their stock much sooner.

Anyway, I'm upgrading from a 37" Syntax Olevia Flat-Panel LCD. I have an Xbox 360 (a long with the HD-DVD Player add-on) and a Samsung 7.1 Surround Sound System.

Can someone post their settings? (colors, brightness, etc..)

Also, has anyone played their Xbox 360 on this TV? If so, can you post a few pictures?
I've read a lot of GREAT reviews about this TV and am very excited for it's arrival!

Rock Band on 61" is something I can't stop thinking about! =)

Thanks for any feedback you're able to provide!

Here are the settings I'm currently at after calibrating with Digital Video Essentials DVD setup... I'm using HDMI input from a JVC 802B AV Amp. I've only included the ones that affect the picture

Mode Movie
Contrast 100
Brightness 43
Sharpness 0 (Not active in this mode. Put it where you like it does nothing)
Color 42
Tint G53 R47
Color Tone Warm 1
Digital NR Auto
DNIe Off
Active Color Off
Color Gamut sRGB
Game Mode Off
3D/Dual-View Off
Color Weakness Defaults i.e. 15 on all settings

Not much to say about the X360 on this unit. It's simply perfect!

Anyone have any suggestions...
post #8350 of 14887 Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn1 View Post

Research was done ahead of time...your settings are already in!

Picture looks great. Interestingly enough, (like others have stated), the sharpness setting really looks useless...I can't tell the difference between 0 and 100.

It's not supposed to "work" if you use the component or the HDMI input. You're probably lucky it doesn't or you might be tempted to use it.
post #8351 of 14887 Old 11-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbd2000 View Post

The 5087 plays in 1080p. Any signal coming in gets converted to 1080p. The question is: how good is that conversion. For example, my DVD player upconverts to 1080i. I found that it's better to let the DVD player upconvert to 1080i and feed that to the TV than letting the TV do the complete upconvert. On the other hand, my Motorola DVR does a worse job with SD (480i) than the TV, so I have the output from the DVR feed in whatever it is originally (480i for standard definition and 1080i for high definition).

The Denon accepts the inputs from your various components and upconverts to 1080p. It probably does a better job than the TV. If you feed a 1080p signal to the TV, the TV doesn't have to do anything.

So the sales guy was correct. You have to decide how you want to set things up. There are pros and cons to every setup. I do not have an upconverting receiver, so maybe someone can point out the pros and cons of that setup.

Bob

That's part of the problem with this whole upconvert to 1080i thing, I think you meant to say 1080i, not 1080p right? I'm not aware of anything that upconverts to 1080p... I don't think it's even physically possible. Upconversion is why I bought a AV amp with the Faroudja chip. They are found on the higher end stuff but your typical upconverter from a $80 DVD player is probably some who knows what... It does make a difference.

I don't know what Samsung uses for 1080i upconversion, maybe someone else does. From what I've read, often times the component will upconvert better than most TVs, though I don't know if this is true with these high end DLPs we're using. In my case... everything video goes through and is processed by my JVC 702B AV amp. They go to great lengths to point this out in their advertising for this amp that it has "DCDi by Faroudja" and for good reason.

Another small item... You might have noticed, as I did with Charter Cable... that if you pipe their non HD signal into it into one of these TVs it is terrible. That's because, the first 99 channels are analog, not digital... for compatibility with older sets. Even though you have "Charter Digital"... which I think is very misleading. This wont' change till 2009. The 480 digital ain't bad and the HD looks very good. What you may be seeing if you have a lousy picture when watching 480i stuff, it's probably because it has to do the A to D conversion, which from what I've read doesn't work very well on a lot of equipment.
post #8352 of 14887 Old 11-28-2007, 11:11 PM

By the way the color adjustment was pretty much right on... using the filters and after adjusting the blue, it showed green pretty close to right on and the red channel being slightly overdriven as with most TVs. Gotta have those flesh tones... It was better adjusted than my old Samsung 67" DLP. Geometry was very good... it might be off a 1/4" from bottom to top (a little fat at the top), the top and bottom edges were perfect and the centering needed to be moved about 1/2 inch to the left. This was MUCH better than my old one, that suffered hourglassing, which was really annoying when watching 4:3 stuff.
post #8353 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleeb View Post

That's part of the problem with this whole upconvert to 1080i thing, I think you meant to say 1080i, not 1080p right? I'm not aware of anything that upconverts to 1080p... I don't think it's even physically possible. Upconversion is why I bought a AV amp with the Faroudja chip. They are found on the higher end stuff but your typical upconverter from a $80 DVD player is probably some who knows what... It does make a difference.

I don't know what Samsung uses for 1080i upconversion, maybe someone else does. From what I've read, often times the component will upconvert better than most TVs, though I don't know if this is true with these high end DLPs we're using. In my case... everything video goes through and is processed by my JVC 702B AV amp. They go to great lengths to point this out in their advertising for this amp that it has "DCDi by Faroudja" and for good reason.

Another small item... You might have noticed, as I did with Charter Cable... that if you pipe their non HD signal into it into one of these TVs it is terrible. That's because, the first 99 channels are analog, not digital... for compatibility with older sets. Even though you have "Charter Digital"... which I think is very misleading. This wont' change till 2009. The 480 digital ain't bad and the HD looks very good. What you may be seeing if you have a lousy picture when watching 480i stuff, it's probably because it has to do the A to D conversion, which from what I've read doesn't work very well on a lot of equipment.

I meant 1080p however I've seen different definitions as to how the upconverting is achieved. And certainly different procesors will achieve different results. I would expect a noticeable difference from Faroudja. Samsung has DVD players that claim both 1080i and 1080p upconversion, so presumably there's a difference in process if not in results. The TV claims 1080p output whereas my DVD player claims 1080i output. I'm assuming they're telling the truth, although there may be different ways of arriving ta 1080p, not all of equal quality.

As for television signals, mine come in on cable. Nothing over the air. However the cable company is required (Canadian rules?) to broadcast local stations as if they're over the air, whereas the rest come in digitally over the cable. I'm not sure of the details, but I know that our local CBC station looks like cr%p whereas the out of town CBC stations look quite good.

Bob
post #8354 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 06:24 AM

Can someone find out about the 1028 firmware? Does it just apply to the new models?
post #8355 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlachowin View Post

Long time reader of this thread, first time poster. Lots of great information here, this website is wonderful.

I took delivery of a HLT5687SX/XAA mid October. I immediately noticed the halo prism with dark scenes, espeicially watching DVD with letterbox. It looks like the issue has been solved by others with having the "diffuser kit" installed, by replacing the shiny ring with a black one.

Samsung tech just left, and he is going to actually replace the whole light engine assembly. I told him about just getting the "diffuser kit" and to just replace the ring, but he is insistant on getting a new assembly and just replacing it as a whole unit. Supposedly the new light engine will already have the black ring installed. He said we could just take a black marker tonight and paint it, but it would eventually have the same issue as he said the light assembly gets very hot.

So, they will be calling me once they get the new light engine. If I can get this fixed, I will be very happy with the set. I do have the latest firmware, as the TV shipped with it.

Also, 2 Samsung techs were over. one of them had to go to the bathroom, but I only have one bathroom. My wife was in the shower, he went outside for about 3 minutes and came back inside. My wife was out of the shower and I asked him if he needed to use the restroom, and he said no with a smirk on his face??? Did he piss in a bottle in the Samsung van or on my flowers? You make the decision LOL

Justin

If you have good geometry and an even focus you might want to insist on just replacing the part that is causing the problem. At the very least, have some test patterns ready to put the new engine through its paces to verify it is at least as good as your last one before your tech leaves. Also use the test image to check for halo. I would be very surprised if Samsung (given their track record on this) has their act together enough to be sending out light engines only if they feature the new part.

I just had my "diffuser kit" replaced and it worked like a charm. My tech actually told me my testing, pictures and links to this forum were instrumental in getting this official service bulletin/fix out as fast as they did. You're all welcome and I accept tips via PayPal! Haha
post #8356 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesK1d View Post

If you have good geometry and an even focus you might want to insist on just replacing the part that is causing the problem. At the very least, have some test patterns ready to put the new engine through its paces to verify it is at least as good as your last one before your tech leaves. Also use the test image to check for halo. I would be very surprised if Samsung (given their track record on this) has their act together enough to be sending out light engines only if they feature the new part.

I just had my "diffuser kit" replaced and it worked like a charm. My tech actually told me my testing, pictures and links to this forum were instrumental in getting this official service bulletin/fix out as fast as they did. You're all welcome and I accept tips via PayPal! Haha

When you say "diffuser kit", what was all included? Just the black ring?'

Thanks
post #8357 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:

First time, long time....Alot of good info on this forum, thanks,
I just purchased the hlt6187sax for my bedroom, problem is I have "free" Charter in the bedroom of my condo... I take it the signal needs to be digital in order for the signal to be up converted?
post #8358 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:

So is Madden Football on the X360...

Yes.

Get Madden 08 for the Xbox 360.
The framerate is smooth as butter, gameplay is really great and in the graphics department it really shines!
post #8359 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:

The 97 has bluetooth... basically. though I don't know what good it is. I think it also has PIP capability. Whoopee

The Bluetooth on the xx89 series is for wireless stereo headphones, which is great for some people (my grandfather watches tv with headphones al the time), and for a bluetooth printer, which is just sillyness. Basically, you can freeze the screen and print it out. Not sure if anyone has ever done this, or would ever want to.
post #8360 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 10:29 AM

Liked: 11
I have a PS3 hooked up with the latest firmware and this option is enabled. When i play any Blu-Ray movies they display fine and look real sharp. I'm not sure what Firmware version I have. Is there a way of distinguishing if I'm really getting 24FPS playback?.....I assume I am since the option is enabled and my movies play fine.
post #8361 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josborne1 View Post

I have a PS3 hooked up with the latest firmware and this option is enabled. When i play any Blu-Ray movies they display fine and look real sharp. I'm not sure what Firmware version I have. Is there a way of distinguishing if I'm really getting 24FPS playback?.....I assume I am since the option is enabled and my movies play fine.

Hit Info on your tv's remote. It should show something like 1080P@24Hz
post #8362 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate88 View Post

I just bought the SAX one yesterday on amazon. It should get here next week, so let me know what I can do to help you guys with your research. I'm a tv nub so you'll have to explain for me what to do in detail.

Just ordered the 5687SAX from Amazon this morning as well. Just been lurking here and reading...what a great thread! Lots of awesome info and nice people.
post #8363 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 PM

Hey guys..my 5687sax just arrived (wooohooo) and is up and running. Can someone redirect me to the initial settings page or thread. Don`t have to worry about burn in right? So far so good, but it`s pretty bright in the room so I suppose it`ll look even better at night.
post #8364 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino520 View Post

Hey guys..my 5687sax just arrived (wooohooo) and is up and running. Can someone redirect me to the initial settings page or thread. Don`t have to worry about burn in right? So far so good, but it`s pretty bright in the room so I suppose it`ll look even better at night.

Below are Avical's user-menu starter settings for the Samsung HL-Txx87/89 and HL-Sxx67/87/88 DLP RPTV displays. Please note that these settings are merely *starter* settings from which to perform a more precise user-level calibration via the aid of a setup disc such as DVE. These are also not intended as a substitute for a much more involved professional calibration which would address picture parameters not accessible within the user-menu.

HL-Txx87/89

* Mode - Movie

* Contrast - 70

* Brightness - 45

* Sharpness - 0

* Color - 45

* Tint - G50/R50

* Color Tone - Warm2*

* Detailed Settings

* - Black Adjust - Off

* - Dynamic Contrast - Off

* - Gamma - 0

* - White Balance - 0

* - My Color Control - 15/15/15

* - Edge Enhancement - Off

* - xvYCC - Off

* Size - Just Scan

* Digital NR - Off

* Active Color - Off

* DNIe - Off

* Color Gamut - sRGB

* Game Mode - Off

* HDMI Black Level - Normal

* Film Mode - Off
post #8365 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know what the difference is between hlt6187sax and S.. noone has really stated an answer on this one thus far.. i was curious.

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com

post #8366 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 01:18 PM

Liked: 13
What's the difference between the HL-Txx87S and the HL-Txx87SAX?

lol Mark, you beat me by 2 minutes.
post #8367 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Very few TVs are capable of transmitting 24p in video. I've got the 6189S and when I recently connected the Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-Ray DVD player, which provides for 24p playback, Panny tech folks confirmed that my particular TV did not support 24p. He went on to say that there are but a "handful" of TVs that support 24p.
post #8368 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz View Post

What's the difference between the HL-Txx87S and the HL-Txx87SAX?

lol Mark, you beat me by 2 minutes.

Good question - I think it has something to do with where it was made (USA maybe? ) I can't even find the HL-TxxxxSAX models on the Sammy website, but I'm getting one
post #8369 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 01:52 PM

I was told by 2nd tier tech at Samsung the the difference was only cosmetic...fwiw with a grain of salt of course.
post #8370 of 14887 Old 11-29-2007, 01:55 PM

And thanks Razorhog!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page