2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 287 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8581 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info! I put in a ticket with Samsung that include the info below. I can't wait for the issue to be fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMSM View Post

Spoke to my Samsung Tech today.

He has ordered the part to fix the Blue/Purple Prism HALO effect.

Part # : BP61-01639A
Desc: Optical Modular Bracket

He's coming out on Friday to install. I'll try and post a copy of the Service Order. He said the Service Bulletin just came out, and Samsung is referring to it as the Smudges/Blotches issue.

I'll see if I can get a Service Bulletin # & Description when he arrives on Friday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8582 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 AM

I just order my HLT6187 and I have a couple question, I wanted to know how I could tell if I have the Halo prism effect and which number do I call if I have it.

Also how the Geometry on this set? and is the set really heavy?

Also is there any major banding issues in this set.

Thanks in advance
post #8583 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashid11 View Post

Visit your nearby Ikea - there are plenty of furniture pieces that, while not designed to be TV stands, are really good for it. Cheap too.

+1

The IKEA Leksvik stand is what we got for our 5689, and love it. Simple, but good size, good price, and holds all my equipment (including center speaker) with room to spare.
post #8584 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 11:17 AM

OK so I also have the blue blobs on my 6187sax from big river. Do I call Samsung tech? What do I tell them the problem is? I also have buzzing from the tv, is that fixable?

I'm worried that having them repair the tv may end up screwing up the quality of the picture :/
post #8585 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 12:04 PM

You can do it online. Just go to http://www.samsung.com to register your TV and create a support ticket. They will automatically assign the closest service center to your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kian View Post

OK so I also have the blue blobs on my 6187sax from big river. Do I call Samsung tech? What do I tell them the problem is? I also have buzzing from the tv, is that fixable?

I'm worried that having them repair the tv may end up screwing up the quality of the picture :/

post #8586 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Worrying about the repair guy screwing up the picture, eh? Screwing up how...like, instead of fixing your halo/prism issue, the entire top 50% of your TV is now black?

The guy has been here for over TWO HOURS (almost 2.5 now) and I went from having a perfectly working TV with a slightly annoying blue/purple spot issue occasionally to having a 61" paperweight.

He tried doing the marker-on-the-lens fix first. Except he put too much marker on. He's been scrubbing at the lens for a while now with some rubbing alcohol and I assume it's not going well.

He's put the TV back together 4 times now only to have the same thing happen each time. I actually had some hope the 4th time because he ran out to his truck and got a brand new light engine and everything. But no. Still black on the top half of the screen. So he's now putting it back together for the 5th time and I have absolutely NO hope that it's going to be fixed and working. I'm at the point now where I'll gladly deal with the prism/halo issue...I just want my effing TV working again.

Sigh.

"IBTL" isn't cute, funny or original.

Also: you couldn't care less and purposes are NOT intensive. For all intents and purposes if you don't know these things, you probably shouldn't use them.
post #8587 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 01:01 PM

Just charlie-horse him! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye View Post

Worrying about the repair guy screwing up the picture, eh? Screwing up how...like, instead of fixing your halo/prism issue, the entire top 50% of your TV is now black?

The guy has been here for over TWO HOURS (almost 2.5 now) and I went from having a perfectly working TV with a slightly annoying blue/purple spot issue occasionally to having a 61" paperweight.

He tried doing the marker-on-the-lens fix first. Except he put too much marker on. He's been scrubbing at the lens for a while now with some rubbing alcohol and I assume it's not going well.

He's put the TV back together 4 times now only to have the same thing happen each time. I actually had some hope the 4th time because he ran out to his truck and got a brand new light engine and everything. But no. Still black on the top half of the screen. So he's now putting it back together for the 5th time and I have absolutely NO hope that it's going to be fixed and working. I'm at the point now where I'll gladly deal with the prism/halo issue...I just want my effing TV working again.

Sigh.

post #8588 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FYI everybody..the HL-t6187sax is on a special sale thru midnight tonight at big river $1875!

Just trying to help...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000N53TDM
post #8589 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Sigh.

This is exactly what I'm worried about, a tech that doesn't know crap. I hope you come out on top with this though, good luck.

Has anyone here had the blue blobs successfully removed WITHOUT any loss in picture quality or anything afterwards? I haven't read the whole thread but I think I saw one guy that turned out OK.
post #8590 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidz View Post

I just order my HLT6187 and I have a couple question, I wanted to know how I could tell if I have the Halo prism effect and which number do I call if I have it.

Also how the Geometry on this set? and is the set really heavy?

Also is there any major banding issues in this set.

Thanks in advance

Congratulations!!! I have the 6187 and absolutely love it. Just got it a month ago and I have absolutely none of the issues some others have mentioned on this forum.

I can answer one of your questions... The geometry on my set is perfect. Although a few people have reported some slight geometry issues, I don't think it is a pervasive issue, like it was with the predacessor Samsung LED DLP sets.

Hopefully others will chime in with an answer to your other two questions.

Regards, Steve
post #8591 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 01:45 PM

I have a 5687 with bowing..can`t see it in the picture..but on the cable menu/guide grid it is there.
post #8592 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 01:47 PM

Repair place was told by Samsung that the sound was normal after LED driver, LED power supply, and main power supply changed without luck. Looks like I am not going to get a fix. But I watch the TV in movie mode with 70 contrast, at that setting i cannot hear the buzzing unless I get really close to the TV.
post #8593 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sc View Post

Originally Posted by hunter99507
I need help with a questions please.

I have the 6187s, an xbox 360 and a reciever for surround sound, and an optical cable.

When i hook the xbox 360 up via componet cable, the sound works fine from my tv to my reciever.( optical cable from my tv to my reciever.) But when i plug my xbox in via hdmi the sound does not go through, via optical cable. It works with my composit audio cables but not my optical.

Any ideas on why this doesnt work? It seems weird that the optical cable works via componet cable, but not hdmi? And my composit audio cables work with both. Do i need to acivate something in the tv, or xbox? Im stumped on this one. Any ideas?

Just curious if you are using your XBOX thru HDMI #3? It will not pass audio. I have mine thru HDMI#2 and the 5.1 passed thru the optical out of the TV to my reciever. I just turn the volume down to 0 on the TV when I want to play games loud(when the wife is not home). My DVD player is thru HDMI#3 and I run my optical straight from DVD to reciever. I hope this helps if you try it. Also I have an SAX model and I do not know if that makes a difference.

No, the TV will not pass any audio via optical from any of the HDMI inputs. I just tried this. You might have some red/white cables going to your receiver and decoding a 5.1.

This really irritates me, as my current receiver only has one optical and one digital coax audio input. I need another and I don't want a manual switcher.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Gamertag: One Big Wizz
post #8594 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is exactly what I'm worried about, a tech that doesn't know crap. I hope you come out on top with this though, good luck.

Has anyone here had the blue blobs successfully removed WITHOUT any loss in picture quality or anything afterwards? I haven't read the whole thread but I think I saw one guy that turned out OK.

Actually, he left about 30 minutes ago and all is fixed and working as expected. No more halo/prism effect, 100% of my screen is back and I can't tell any loss in quality. I am happy again.

Also: you couldn't care less and purposes are NOT intensive. For all intents and purposes if you don't know these things, you probably shouldn't use them.
post #8595 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannarella View Post

Calling all 50" owners. I ordered my HLT-5087SAX from Amazon on Monday and it "should" be here on my birthday. Yippee. I am now looking at stands. I want something that looks more like furnature and is under $300. My main thinng is getting the right height stand. I know the set is 32" tall and when I sit on the couch my eyes are 40" off the floor. So my math would tell me to have my eyes pretty much center on the screen the stand needs to be around 24 inches tall give or take 3 or so inches. What are the 50" people running for stand heights here for comfortable viewing?

Thanks
Andy

I have the 5687 and the screen center (not the set center) is less than 20" above the base. The Samsung base for 50/56/61 is about 17.5" as I use slide pads for my "wood" floor and not the jack screws on its bottom. For me, it just a tad above seated eye height height but makes it easier to see over a table and junk. Generally a 24" base may be too much.
-Ken
post #8596 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Actually, he left about 30 minutes ago and all is fixed and working as expected. No more halo/prism effect, 100% of my screen is back and I can't tell any loss in quality. I am happy again.

what did he have to do to fix it after the 5th time putting it back together? Im glad everything got fixed that sounded like a nightmare!!
post #8597 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMSM View Post

Spoke to my Samsung Tech today.

He has ordered the part to fix the Blue/Purple Prism HALO effect.

Part # : BP61-01639A
Desc: Optical Modular Bracket

He's coming out on Friday to install. I'll try and post a copy of the Service Order. He said the Service Bulletin just came out, and Samsung is referring to it as the Smudges/Blotches issue.

I'll see if I can get a Service Bulletin # & Description when he arrives on Friday.

The Sammy repair people told me the part number on order for my set is:

BP67-00313
post #8598 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 03:58 PM

Considering buying this TV? I bought mine at BB $1699 5687S.
1st TV had buzzing then picture went out. Ordered a new one.
2nd TV- Perfect and quiet.

Because of the problems with these Tv's I'd recommend people buy them from a local retailer where you can exchange w/I 30 days no questions asked. I'm glad I didn't go online and purchase. I went into BB and told them I wanted 500 off and they gave it to me. Keep taking back until you get a good one.
post #8599 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 04:12 PM

I've had my 5087 for about a week now. Picture looks great. No buzzing sound. I can barely make out the purple halo thing that everyone talks about. Not sure if it's worth calling service for yet. Does it get worse over time?? If so, I'll call service now to get it over with.

My only other gripe is that I can't find the discreet code for the HDMI 3 input (programing my universal remote). I've tried RemoteCentral but the code there doesn't work. If anyone has a working code for this input, please hook a brotha' up!
post #8600 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock901 View Post

I've had my 5087 for about a week now. ...

My only other gripe is that I can't find the discreet code for the HDMI 3 input (programing my universal remote). I've tried RemoteCentral but the code there doesn't work. If anyone has a working code for this input, please hook a brotha' up!

Try this post and attachment download:

HLT-XX87/89S Discrete Input IR Codes
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10459698

Please let us know if the HDMI3 code works. I haven't programmed this input yet because I have nothing plugged into it.

Avio
post #8601 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Good to hear. I guess I'll man up and call them now :P
post #8602 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys,

Are the geometry issues with these sets correctable in the service menu or do they have more to do with the overall design, etc?
post #8603 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopino View Post

what did he have to do to fix it after the 5th time putting it back together? Im glad everything got fixed that sounded like a nightmare!!

I have no idea what he did to get it working again. I asked him between the 4th and 5th times if it was common for the TV screen to behave like that and if he'd seen it before and he assured me that it was fine and he would fix it no problem.

I'm wondering if he intentionally disabled something for testing purposes maybe? I honestly don't know. But I kept my cool/calm and everything was fine. He was really nice, after all.

Quote:

Good to hear. I guess I'll man up and call them now :P

hehe...do it! They know what they're doing. Just have some faith.

post #8604 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda1 View Post

Hey guys,

Are the geometry issues with these sets correctable in the service menu or do they have more to do with the overall design, etc?

I don't know for sure. I wish I could do something about the slight downward bowing in the middle of the info bars at the top of the screen on my set. At least the alignment seems about as perfect as can be hoped for along the bottom of the screen.
post #8605 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 06:21 PM

i thought id heard something about the firmware also on the two models

also, i know this is on here somehwere, but ive dug for alittle while and havent found the answers, are there any differences between the 87 and 89 besides the bluetooth and pip?
there was supposed to be a hdmi dif, is that true or not?

Im going to odrer tonight so im trying to get this figured out.

any help would be appreciated

Ricky
post #8606 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Hey Guys - I have had my 6187s for about 2 months now and I love it. The only thing that I am still paranoid about is the lip sync issues that have been mentioned several times in this ticket.

I would like to get a nice affordable Receiver so I wanted to know if you guys had any sugesstions of some that DO NOT show any lip sync issues when sending the audio directly to the Receiver.

Is the lip sync issue only with HDMI Receivers? --Thanks!
post #8607 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

Try this post and attachment download:

HLT-XX87/89S Discrete Input IR Codes
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10459698

Please let us know if the HDMI3 code works. I haven't programmed this input yet because I have nothing plugged into it.

Avio

Avio et al,

I can tell you that I have all three discrete codes for HDMI working on my 6189. I'm on my work pc right now so I can't look at which one I used (there were at least two different codes floating out there), but if you have any problems just PM me.

Ross
post #8608 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 PM

Just got my delivery of the 6187... On my older Pioneer Elete it was easy to get it to fill the screen. You have options like Natural Wide Cinima Wide etc. On the Sammy I can only get a full screet on HD programing. Went through all the menues and could not see any settings to fill the screen. It is hooked up to my cable box (Comcast HD box) via an HDMI. I want to be able to take advantge of the 61" screen all the time HD or not.

Any suggestions??? Please send direct if you know the answer. Thanks
post #8609 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 06:53 PM

As for geometry issues..(I have the bowing too) the local Samsung service guy said it is fixable. He`s supposed to call tonight so I`ll post his explanation after I talk with him. But I believe they are design issues..we`ll see.

I got my 5687sax at the big river for $1675 last week. Today I noticed it was offered at $1629..so I called in and got the price adjustment!

Another reminder that Amazon has the 6187sax today only I think for $1875. Those of you who paid more for your 6187s in the last 30 days ought to call Amazon and ask them to match it. Can`t hurt to try..it worked for me. Good luck...
post #8610 of 14906 Old 12-05-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX35TN View Post

Just got my delivery of the 6187... On my older Pioneer Elete it was easy to get it to fill the screen. You have options like Natural Wide Cinima Wide etc. On the Sammy I can only get a full screet on HD programing. Went through all the menues and could not see any settings to fill the screen. It is hooked up to my cable box (Comcast HD box) via an HDMI. I want to be able to take advantge of the 61" screen all the time HD or not.

Any suggestions??? Please send direct if you know the answer. Thanks

I have the comcast DVR..and you need to get to the user settings on the Comcast box to over-ride the 4:3 aspect ratio. Be careful what you do in there and it`s best to have a Comcast rep on the phone to walk you through it. After all was said and done the full screen TV settings were kind of distorted..either stretched and/or squashed. YMMV...
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page