2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 289 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's here and it's beautiful!!! (5687SAX)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 11:21 AM

Yikes, isn't it too high for a RPTV? How dim does it look sitting that much lower?

[quote=Razorhog;12416661]It's here and it's beautiful!!! (5687SAX)
post #8643 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeanward View Post

What version HDMI does the 87 series work with?
most of these post says 1.1 or 1.2
yet when u pull up the 5087 on Sammy's website theres a little gray graphic box on the first page next to the other gray graphic boxes
stating HDMIv 1.3
so does the 87 have HDMI 1.3 ?

After getting tired of this getting different answers from different places I called samsung and they tell me this tv supports HDMI 1.3. Of course I asked where can I see this and they said it is internal only. How else to verify I do not know.
post #8644 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 11:23 AM

1019 is quite old. Update to 1025 or 1026.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwind View Post

A tech just worked on my HL-T6189S set to fix the blue halo problem, improve focus, and eliminate a loud buzzing sound. The blue halo is now fixed (the black lens ring fix as discussed was installed) and the focus is improved.

He replaced the mainboard to try and eliminate the buzz, but it did not work. The loud buzz sounds like it is coming from the LED light source. Does anyone know the magic words to tell Samsung customer support to get them to fix the buzz in the LED light source (I assume replacing it)?

Something interesting: the new mainboard has a date of 2007-09-21 with a firmware version of 1019 ("MODULE: T-LAU2AUS0-1019, DATE: 2007-09-21, MICOM: T-DLEDAUS5-3029").

post #8645 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warper View Post

After getting tired of this getting different answers from different places I called samsung and they tell me this tv supports HDMI 1.3. Of course I asked where can I see this and they said it is internal only. How else to verify I do not know.

Then why would it make sense to shell out hundreds more for the 89's?
post #8646 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyla View Post

1019 is quite old. Update to 1025 or 1026.

The XX87 and XX89 series have different firmware. The 1025/26 is for the XX87. The 1019 appears the newest for the XX89. From what I've seen most have 1016. I haven't seen anyone provide a link for a firmware update for the XX89.
post #8647 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 11:57 AM

Received my 5087 from the site in Montana on Monday. Guys from Yellow very good, brought it up to the porch despite my being told they would leave it curbside.
The specs: HLT5087SX/XAA, hencho en Mexico, Aug. 07, firmware 1026.
The pluses: NO halo. NO buzzing, though there is a slight fan noise, esp. if I stick my head behind the unit. NO green push that I could see. Haven't seen RBE or SDE, not sure I want to look too hard anyway, I'll see it all the time. I did see some edge noise on one of the OTA channels, haven't looked into that to see if DNIe or whatever affects it.
The minuses: Slight geometry/bowing error. Overall a slight "smile" to the picture, but maybe only about 1/8" in the middle. Bottom slight tilt. Not really noticeable generally, I can see it when there are boxes and such on the screen. Also, I didn't see until today, there is a thin vertical scratch or smudge on the left half of the screen, not visible during viewing, I only saw it because sunlight was hitting it from the right, I was standing on the left. Hopefully on the surface which I could remove.
The stand I have is a bit too high, around 24", I'm looking at a Bush VS39542 at Best Buy about 3-4" shorter. Yes, the vertical viewing angle is more critical, I notice the "bright spot" is slightly below center right now when seated. Once I get into watching a show, it's not as much of an issue. Had on the Sahara Desert show on Discovery last night after MythBusters, some shots in that looked great!
I think I like the standard setting, have not extensively played with the numerous settings. I otherwise used Avical's starter settings.
Overall very happy with what I got, feel lucky not to have any of the major problems that others have had. Fingers crossed.

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #8648 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 12:02 PM

[quote=tommyla;12416911]Yikes, isn't it too high for a RPTV? How dim does it look sitting that much lower?

Only got to play with it a bit during lunch, but it looks fine while sitting in my recliner about 10 feet away. I was worried about the height too (mantle is about 48", I think) but I could barely tell a difference while sitting. The picture quality exceeds my expectations...I put the suggested settings in, tuned into an HD station, and... WOW great pic
post #8649 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 12:30 PM

I've been reading this thread for ages and about to jump on the 6187 soon through the Big River. Mainly, I've been waiting for the blue halo problem fix in the factory assembly and not have to schedule an appointment with the repair service. I will definitely appreciate more input on the halo fix from members(like team_venture) who have just received their units. I assume the slight geometry thing is still a hit and miss?
post #8650 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXXp View Post

My set has the buzz. I'm still waiting to have it fixed. With the rear cover off, I listened to try to find the source of the buzz. With my set, it appears to be coming from what is referred to as the "LED driver board" in the service manual, which is part of the optical engine. It's not the main power supply or secondary (LED) power supply.

Service tech just left my house and no more "buzz". He replaced the LED light engine. He showed me the old one and one of the LED covers was all brown, like a power surge hit it.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Gamertag: One Big Wizz
post #8651 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:

so a yes from Samsung, but no clear proof
still very questionable
post #8652 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 PM

HLT5089s - 50" (obviously) suffering from the blue halo problem. Since there are actually NO techs in my area (northern NH) they are doing an outright exchange for the same model. I tried to dictate to the guy that the television was amazing otherwise and functioning perfectly and I also informed him on the silver lens cover situation... all to no avail as they are still "exchanging." Hopefully I get a model without the blue halo, but I also hope I don't get a new set that suffers from other/more problems!!!

Will let you all know how it turns out.
post #8653 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post

Bob,

This sounds like the EXACT same problem I have been experiencing. Calibration didn't seem to help my set. So far, the thing that I have done that has had the most effect is abandoning the Movie mode that most here think is good (I don't - too dark) and use Standard mode instead. I have just recently switched from Movie to Standard - my adjustments are not complete yet but so far, it has had a positive effect on the green push.

Certainly something to try. My understanding is that Movie mode is designed for a darker room. And most of the calibrations are based on Movie mode. Maybe it has the fewest automatic adjustments. So far I've been using Dynamic but as I said, I may have lost my original adjustments. Things have been a bit busy and I haven't had time to sit down and go through Avia II properly.

I know that the first Avia had a test that gave a reading of the percentage push of the different colours. Whether you could adjust that or not is a different story.

Bob
post #8654 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 01:14 PM

So is there any way to know if the 87's have a 1.3 hdmi?
post #8655 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 02:01 PM

So the halo issue is the blue/purple blobs on the screen right? Because I thought those were 2 different issues at first. Just want some confirmation.
post #8656 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball003 View Post

So is there any way to know if the 87's have a 1.3 hdmi?

They don't have 1.3 unfortunately. I think it's 1.1 or 1.2.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that someone found out there 1.3. I have no idea.
post #8657 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 02:16 PM

So I created a support ticket on Sammy's website Tuesday for the halo/prism issue and I got a call just now to schedule the appointment for tomorrow morning. They already had the part, which means that they are starting to be more proactive about the issue.

My ticket was simply:

"Got halo/prism issue, this will fix it:
Part # : BP61-01639A
Desc: Optical Modular Bracket

If you don't do it quick enough, I'll kill you"

Ok kidding about the killing part! lol

I'll take some before and after pictures. Wish me luck!

Tommy
post #8658 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 02:40 PM

got my 5089s last week. don't be afraid go for it. it's well worth it. buiild march "07. no halo just a bit of bowing, other than that this tv is awesome.
post #8659 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kian View Post

They don't have 1.3 unfortunately. I think it's 1.1 or 1.2.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that someone found out there 1.3. I have no idea.

yeah it's confusing.
post #8660 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 02:51 PM

Liked: 13
Well, my halo issue was scheduled to be fixed on Tuesday, but the service technician called, and he's coming out tomorrow to fix it. He asked about how I knew what the problem was called, and I told him from the internet. He asked if it was avsforum, because he apparently contributes to the site! Glad to have an AVS member fixing my TV!
post #8661 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by team_venture View Post

Received my 5087 from the site in Montana on Monday. Guys from Yellow very good, brought it up to the porch despite my being told they would leave it curbside.
The specs: HLT5087SX/XAA, hencho en Mexico, Aug. 07, firmware 1026.
The pluses: NO halo. NO buzzing, though there is a slight fan noise, esp. if I stick my head behind the unit. NO green push that I could see. Haven't seen RBE or SDE, not sure I want to look too hard anyway, I'll see it all the time. I did see some edge noise on one of the OTA channels, haven't looked into that to see if DNIe or whatever affects it.
The minuses: Slight geometry/bowing error. Overall a slight "smile" to the picture, but maybe only about 1/8" in the middle. Bottom slight tilt. Not really noticeable generally, I can see it when there are boxes and such on the screen. Also, I didn't see until today, there is a thin vertical scratch or smudge on the left half of the screen, not visible during viewing, I only saw it because sunlight was hitting it from the right, I was standing on the left. Hopefully on the surface which I could remove.

The stand I have is a bit too high, around 24", I'm looking at a Bush VS39542 at Best Buy about 3-4" shorter. Yes, the vertical viewing angle is more critical, I notice the "bright spot" is slightly below center right now when seated. Once I get into watching a show, it's not as much of an issue. Had on the Sahara Desert show on Discovery last night after MythBusters, some shots in that looked great!
I think I like the standard setting, have not extensively played with the numerous settings. I otherwise used Avical's starter settings.
Overall very happy with what I got, feel lucky not to have any of the major problems that others have had. Fingers crossed.

Where did you get the HDNet grid. I heard that HDNet aired the grid, but I have not been able to find it. Can anyone tell me when they run this grid on HDNet??
post #8662 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXXp View Post

Continued from post #7695

I have the "halo/prism" problem with my HL-T5687S. Based on what I read here, it's pretty bad on my set. Here's an example using a test image that I created:
blueblob

Here's an example using an all black picture and bringing up the WiseLink menu for the picture:
menu

The problem is frequently noticeable during regular viewing as well. I could probably come up with a more obvious example, but I had to laugh at the coincidence of this one. (They're speaking Japanese. The caption is part of the original broadcast. I didn't add it.) You can see the halos below Hiro's ear. Also, purple smudges under the letters "is every" and to the left of the point between the girl's finger and thumb. This image is overexposed by 1 stop to highlight the problem but they appear at least this bad when viewed. Eyes can pick out these things better than a camera can.
heroes

Using the WiseLink viewer with JPEG images that I created, I also found another reflection that appears as a reddish beam of light when there is bright light in the upper corners. This is very faint and probably not noticeable during regular viewing. Here's an example:
redline

If you want to test your set for the halo/prism problem, you can use my test images, in addition to the tests already made available in other postings in this thread. Grab the following tv_tests.zip file. Unzip and load the images onto a flash drive, or something else that you can read from the "Wiselink" USB port, and view them. The images are of size 1920x1080 and each consists of a single white circle on an all black background. The circles are each on a point of a 16 by 9 grid. In the "a" series, the circles are 120 pixels in diameter. The "b" series are 240 pixels in diameter. The file names indicate the row_column position of the circle in the grid. I get the most noticeable effects from row 5 downwards and around columns 4-6 or 11-13. Dont worry about the roughness around the edges of the circles. These are just artifacts due to heavy JPEG compression.
tv_test

Another thing you can do is display image a_05_08.jpg. Press "info" to bring up the menu and then zoom the image to 2X. You can then use the arrow keys to move the circle to anywhere on the screen.

There are some additional 1920x1080 image files in the package. black.jpg is all black. white.jpg, red.jpg, green.jpg and blue.jpg are white and colours at full intensity. grey.jpg is all colours at 50%. Note that these images may not be perfect, again due to JPEG compression artifacts.

grid.jpg is a white grid on black that you can use to check the linearity, alignment, and maybe focus and chromatic aberrations, of your set. The lines are two pixels wide and 40 pixels apart. The centre vertical and horizontal lines are 4 pixels wide. The borders (which you probably won't see due to overscan) are one pixel wide.

If you want to see what people call the "rainbow effect" (RBE) and don't normally see it (I don't), you can probably see it using grid.jpg. Rotate your head quickly back and forth, causing your eyes to scan the screen. The vertical lines should break up into multiple colours.

Now, as for the situation with my set. A technician from a Samsung authorised company came to look at my set. He said he'd never seen these models before and didn't have any information on them. He didn't even know that Samsung made LED illuminated DLP sets. He made notes on my problems and said he would contact Samsung about them. On Mon. Nov. 5 I got a phone message from him saying that Samsung was sending parts to fix the problems and he would contact me when they were in. I haven't yet called to see what parts they are or when they should arrive. Hopefully it's a complete new light engine, or this new black coloured lens assembly that's been mentioned. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Scott

does everyone get the red line angleing up from the lower center to the upper corner when using the image that has the white circle in the corner where the rest of the image is black? Just wanna know if that is normal or not...because mine does it too, my set does not exhibit the halo however...
post #8663 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyman View Post

Where did you get the HDNet grid. I heard that HDNet aired the grid, but I have not been able to find it. Can anyone tell me when they run this grid on HDNet??

I downloaded it from the net. I think it's just a screencap, because it has the "time remaining" on it. I meant to mention that it wasn't the actual "live" test image. I have the test thing on my dvr, but that's connected to my other set. Just do a Google image search for "hdnet test pattern," I think the first one they show is the right size.
If you do a guide search, it's called "HDNet test pattern" and usually on early on weekends. I got it on the dvr 6:30am on 11/17. Don't see it upcoming though.
Checking hd.net it IS on the next 3 Saturdays at 6:30am ET, it runs about 10 minutes.
post #8664 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 04:42 PM

Well boyz and girlz the 6187 is finally going to be delivered... I purchased the monster from big river and they said it wouldn't be delivered until after xmas. Well what do you know I get an email to day that says it's already been picked up from Irving TX and will be delivered on the 17th... (maybe sooner) I'm sure I'll have some questions for ya once I fire the baby up. I 'll also be sure to update everyone on the halo, blu blob, bowing, fw etc... Let's hope those delivery guys can carry it up to the 3rd floor without knocking something loose.

btw - what the heck are discreet codes?
post #8665 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkon View Post

Just puchased the Samsung hlt6187s and am having problems getting any sound through my receiver for cable and dvd. I am getting sound for the over the air signal. I'm running an optical cable from the TV to my older recever (no HDMI inputs). Also, during the setup process, I could only choose analog for the cable setup as it would't let me choose the digital mode. My cable box is digital. Any ideas ? Thanks

this happened to me call cable company tell them you have no sound from cable box. they'll put you thru a setup from remote and it was fixed.
post #8666 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpe235 View Post

... btw - what the heck are discreet codes?

The codes are used to custom program universal remotes controls...

I use the codes with my PC and a device called USB-UIRT to program my remotes. See:

http://usbuirt.com/

USB-UIRT Forum
http://65.36.202.170/phpBB2/

Also see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteCentral.com website View Post

This database features a collection of regular and discrete infrared remote control codes prepared in Pronto hex format. These codes can be used with various computer programmable remote controls, including models from Philips, Marantz, Universal Remote Control Inc., Logitech, RTI, Xantech and others.
=========
Device Infrared Hex Code Database
This database contains 227 brands with 2,114 models.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/codes/

Avio
post #8667 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The wife and I have recently discussed moving up to 1080p. We are Samsung DLP people who have been pleased with the Samsung HLN507W we purchased 4-1/2 years ago, but thought that newer technology would be better technology. After seeing positive comments about LED DLPs in CR, reading in this thread that the XX87/XX89s are at least second generation LED DLPs, and reading the stuff on the Samsung site I decided I'd check the XX87/XX89 models in the 50" through 61" range out at the local stores.

Went to Ultimate Electronics and BB today. Several of all of the Samsung DLPs on active display at UE and a couple of XX87s and others on active display at BB. UE's were running ESPN/HD, but I'm not sure what BB's were running. Anyway, big disappointment! While the color depth of all the 1080p DLPs seems a better than my old DLP, I really didn't see a big improvement in picture sharpness. What I did see was that the LED DLPs have a very limited side-to-side viewing angle compared to the other new DLPs and compared to my old DLP. Above and below viewing angle is also limited, but that seems to be a chronic issue with the DLPs.

Based on observed PQ and attributes, I'm either going to wait another year for the LED DLPs to mature some more (I like the concept of no color wheel as the wheel noise is our biggest continuing issue with our old DLP) or start doing some more research on the Samsung XX76 DLPs. The XX76 DLPs had the best DLP PQ in both stores today. My concern is the color wheel, even though Samsung claims they are now "whisper quiet".

Anyway, thanks for an informative thread.
post #8668 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 06:23 PM

I've read through this forum but so far i have not found an answer. My problem is that I connected up my computer to my 6187s and i get a TON of underscan. I have a Radeon HD 2600 Pro with 2 HDMI outputs. I used a converter to convert the DVI to a VGA output and that's how i connected it up my computer. The only size options are PC Wide, Wide TV, and 4:3. I am outputting 1920x1080 as well. I tried using the auto adjustment and the Image Lock and it doesn't come close to fixing the underscan problem. I do have the latest drivers for my graphics card. Is there a way to get the PC input to offer the Just Scan options? Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.
post #8669 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so what are you asking for, a signed affidavit? the 89 series is hdmi 1.3. the 87 series is 1.2. this is absolute fact. end of the story

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #8670 of 14897 Old 12-06-2007, 06:47 PM

is this normal???
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page