2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 290 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8671 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
for everyone with hdnet asking about the test patterns, it looks like it will be on twice over the next couple of weeks:

Sat, Dec 8 - 6:30 AM ET
3:30 AM PT HDNet Test Patterns
Wonder how your home theatre is doing? Wish you had test patterns to help set it up? Well, HDNet is here to help. This short program will help you get the most out of your home theatre setup by providing you with the same professional test patterns HDNet uses to set their gear.

Sat, Dec 15 - 6:30 AM ET
3:30 AM PT HDNet Test Patterns
Wonder how your home theatre is doing? Wish you had test patterns to help set it up? Well, HDNet is here to help. This short program will help you get the most out of your home theatre setup by providing you with the same professional test patterns HDNet uses to set their gear.

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8672 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz View Post

I just hooked my PC up to my 5687S and played some Counter Strike Source and Team Fortress 2. Both look absolutely amazing at 1920 x 1080. Dedicated HTPC, here I come!

I just picked up this baby for my gaming HTPC:

Shuttle SP35P2 Pro
Q6600 Intel Processor (G0 Stepped)
4 Gigs of Patriot Ram (2-2-2-4 Cas 4)
eVga Superclocked 8800 GT (675mhz core clock)
750gig Western Digital HDD

Small, cool and quiet PC with beautiful framerates even at 16xAF and 4xAA.
Highly recommended.
post #8673 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post

I dont use game mode on mine anymore.. i really couldnt see a difference.. i set it to dynamic or normal.. looks great..

Anyone else doing the same?

Same. Never had any synch issues to warrant putting it into Game Mode. Game Mode looks terrible also.
post #8674 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM

Does anyone know why I can not see the 89 DLP series list on BB's web site in my area?

Has the 89 DLP become hard to find in the B&M's?

BB has the 87 listed but not the 89.

Jim
post #8675 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 PM

Just got my 5087-SAX in...WOW. Looks awesome! No green, no halo, tiny bit of bowing but not noticeable at all. This thing looks effin sweet with X360 or PS3 at 1080P...Halo3 and Ratchet and Clank look amazing. Almost better than my two 8800GTX's in SLi on a 37" LCD.

Only 1 problem. After 2 hours of playing Halo 3, the TV doesnt respond to any remote action. I tried my universal Sony RM-AV3000 and it didnt do anything either. Any ideas? Anyone know this TV's IR code?
post #8676 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by paardengel View Post

I've read through this forum but so far i have not found an answer. My problem is that I connected up my computer to my 6187s and i get a TON of underscan. I have a Radeon HD 2600 Pro with 2 HDMI outputs. I used a converter to convert the DVI to a VGA output and that's how i connected it up my computer. The only size options are PC Wide, Wide TV, and 4:3. I am outputting 1920x1080 as well. I tried using the auto adjustment and the Image Lock and it doesn't come close to fixing the underscan problem. I do have the latest drivers for my graphics card. Is there a way to get the PC input to offer the Just Scan options? Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.

I had tons of underscan when I hooked my PC to the VGA port the other day. I'm not leaving it hooked up to it, so I didn't worry too much about it. I'm not sure exactly how to go about fixing that one.
post #8677 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_In_Boston View Post

Does anyone know why I can not see the 89 DLP series list on BB's web site in my area?

Jim

its a limited distribution model sold in high end retailers. if you're in boston, your local tweeter should have it.

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #8678 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopino View Post

what did he have to do to fix it after the 5th time putting it back together? Im glad everything got fixed that sounded like a nightmare!!

Sounds like he needed to adjust one of the mirrors in the illumination block. There are mirrors with adjustable thumbscrews inside the set and if they're thrown out of whack (usually by moving the motherboard out roughly) it's possible the mirror will pivot and you'll lose your light just like this guy did. It looks like it's a pain in the ass to get just right by recalibrating... because my tech had to do that adjustment also. It only took about a half hour though to get it perfect.
post #8679 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_In_Boston View Post

Jim

Available at Magnolia's HiFi on West coast. Also seen for sale on Amazon and many other online dealers.

Oppo Beta Group
post #8680 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz View Post

I had tons of underscan when I hooked my PC to the VGA port the other day. I'm not leaving it hooked up to it, so I didn't worry too much about it. I'm not sure exactly how to go about fixing that one.

I wrote up instructions for fixing underscan on VGA (and later, HDMI) on this set several months ago. It's very easy to get it "picture perfect". Search through my posts or I'll dig it up for a repost the next time I come back.
post #8681 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

The wife and I have recently discussed moving up to 1080p. We are Samsung DLP people who have been pleased with the Samsung HLN507W we purchased 4-1/2 years ago, but thought that newer technology would be better technology. After seeing positive comments about LED DLPs in CR, reading in this thread that the XX87/XX89s are at least second generation LED DLPs, and reading the stuff on the Samsung site I decided I'd check the XX87/XX89 models in the 50" through 61" range out at the local stores.

Went to Ultimate Electronics and BB today. Several of all of the Samsung DLPs on active display at UE and a couple of XX87s and others on active display at BB. UE's were running ESPN/HD, but I'm not sure what BB's were running. Anyway, big disappointment! While the color depth of all the 1080p DLPs seems a better than my old DLP, I really didn't see a big improvement in picture sharpness. What I did see was that the LED DLPs have a very limited side-to-side viewing angle compared to the other new DLPs and compared to my old DLP. Above and below viewing angle is also limited, but that seems to be a chronic issue with the DLPs.

Based on observed PQ and attributes, I'm either going to wait another year for the LED DLPs to mature some more (I like the concept of no color wheel as the wheel noise is our biggest continuing issue with our old DLP) or start doing some more research on the Samsung XX76 DLPs. The XX76 DLPs had the best DLP PQ in both stores today. My concern is the color wheel, even though Samsung claims they are now "whisper quiet".

Anyway, thanks for an informative thread.

The vertical viewing area is similar to other RPD's with + or - 30 degree's. The newer ultra compact (depth) designs I think contribute to this issue. The LED based DLP's have wider color range, LED's pretty much last forever, instant power and off, and less RBE present because of speed of sequencing. There are no arc-bulbs, color wheel or fan to contend with. Some of the so called HD content I see on displays in B&M places is poor, and doesn't show off HDTV's well. Hope you find something you like.

Oppo Beta Group
post #8682 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

so what are you asking for, a signed affidavit? the 89 series is hdmi 1.3. the 87 series is 1.2. this is absolute fact. end of the story

More importantly, why does anyone care if it is 1.2 or 1.3? Since the TV can't send the audio out over the Optical from HDMI, and since it is only a crappy stereo (poor quality at that) sound system built in, what do you expect to get from HDMI 1.3?

Even if the 87 was originally designed to be 1.2 only, it could very well be 1.3 compliant, as most features added in 1.3 are optional anyways.
post #8683 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

its a limited distribution model sold in high end retailers. if you're in boston, your local tweeter should have it.

That may be true now but my local BB did have the 89 series a few months ago. It is strange that they no-longer have it.

Jim
post #8684 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe916 View Post

Just got my 5087-SAX in...WOW. Looks awesome! No green, no halo, tiny bit of bowing but not noticeable at all. This thing looks effin sweet with X360 or PS3 at 1080P...Halo3 and Ratchet and Clank look amazing. Almost better than my two 8800GTX's in SLi on a 37" LCD.

Only 1 problem. After 2 hours of playing Halo 3, the TV doesnt respond to any remote action. I tried my universal Sony RM-AV3000 and it didnt do anything either. Any ideas? Anyone know this TV's IR code?

I had one that quit responding to any remote after 30-60 minutes. Usually it wouldn't respond again until I turned it off with the on/off button on the tv and let it cool down for an hour or so. I never did get it fixed. I sent it back since it had a few other problems.
post #8685 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 PM

^ What were the other problems you were having...this sorta pisses me off =/
post #8686 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My picture suddenly has too much red. No matter what I do with the settings I can't get rid of it. Even when I choose Cool for color temp. It is the same for both cable and DVD.

It seemed to happen all of a sudden. Anyone else have this happen?
post #8687 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:

^ What were the other problems you were having...this sorta pisses me off =/

The other problems were not related to the remote. I had a pretty bad halo, bad geometry, and a pretty loud buzzing. Now I got the Sony A3000 and it is really good but the fan makes a lot of noise. I don't think the fan is malfunctioning either. I think that it just runs that way. If it is normal, I might be coming back to the Samsung. Don't really want to listen to a constant fan.
post #8688 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 10:35 PM

I guess I got sort of lucky, my set is dead quiet, I mean ZERO noise. The colors are perfect, the halo is nonexistent, a tiny bit of bowing but over all its a damn sweet TV. Just this flippin remote can die a fiery death....argh.
post #8689 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post

More importantly, why does anyone care if it is 1.2 or 1.3? Since the TV can't send the audio out over the Optical from HDMI, and since it is only a crappy stereo (poor quality at that) sound system built in, what do you expect to get from HDMI 1.3?

Even if the 87 was originally designed to be 1.2 only, it could very well be 1.3 compliant, as most features added in 1.3 are optional anyways.

Regarding HDMI 1.3, how about xvYCC with Deep Color (billions of colors), when this is enabled on a xx89s you can immediately see increased number of colors in a particular scene on a video. 1.3 also offers support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Oppo Beta Group
post #8690 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:

I guess I got sort of lucky, my set is dead quiet, I mean ZERO noise. The colors are perfect, the halo is nonexistent, a tiny bit of bowing but over all its a damn sweet TV. Just this flippin remote can die a fiery death....argh.

I wish there were more post like this in here. This is the set I originally wanted and I read the post in here for months. I was frightened away by all of the reports of guys needing multiple visits from tech's to correct things, or having the set replaced a few times.

Maybe Samsung is finally getting their act together on this system. I could handle a tiny bit of bowing but not the purple halo or this (((((())))))))

I am sure that when it works right it is an amazing monitor but, when it doesn't, WOW!!!

Congrats on getting a set that works well and I hope it continues to do so for you.

This is still the set I want because of the size and the price and the picture but if I need to I will go to the LCD's.

Jim
post #8691 of 14896 Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle View Post

The XX87 and XX89 series have different firmware. The 1025/26 is for the XX87. The 1019 appears the newest for the XX89. From what I've seen most have 1016. I haven't seen anyone provide a link for a firmware update for the XX89.

I recently checked the software version on my 6189, and it appears to be 1019. Can anyone confirm that this IS the newest firmware available for this set?

Thank-you

And the TV is doing good, no problems to speak of
post #8692 of 14896 Old 12-07-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Regarding HDMI 1.3, how about xvYCC with Deep Color (billions of colors), when this is enabled on a xx89s you can immediately see increased number of colors in a particular scene on a video. 1.3 also offers support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Are you sure the xx89 supports the higher colors? I'm pretty sure it's the same light engine as the xx87. As I mentioned, a set can be 1.3, and not support the higher color depth, as that feature is 'optional'. Also, what is the point of sending TrueHD and DTS-HD master audio to the tv?

If anything, the only real advantage I see to 1.3 on the xx89, would be the more complete CEC controls (Samsung Anynet+), but for me, it serves no purpose.
post #8693 of 14896 Old 12-07-2007, 12:16 AM

Well, I`ve been following this thread for a couple of weeks now. I`ve had my 5687 about a week. I do have some minor bowing which the service tech is coming to fix tomorrow. But tonight I noticed for the first time an artifact I hadn`t seen until now.

While watching "Primeval" (cable feed) there is a long section of very dark night scenes. And I saw this colorful little rod shaped "thing"...just kinda rocket into the picture several times..mostly from the bottom of the screen diagonally towards the center. It appears for about a half second..then zoom it`s gone. It doesn`t look like the halo images I`ve seen here..Has anyone here seen this? Can anyone identify what issue category this belongs in? Wish I had a camera to get a pic..

Then again..it could be reflections created during the filming???
post #8694 of 14896 Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post

Are you sure the xx89 supports the higher colors? I'm pretty sure it's the same light engine as the xx87. As I mentioned, a set can be 1.3, and not support the higher color depth, as that feature is 'optional'. Also, what is the point of sending TrueHD and DTS-HD master audio to the tv?

If anything, the only real advantage I see to 1.3 on the xx89, would be the more complete CEC controls (Samsung Anynet+), but for me, it serves no purpose.

Yes the xx89s supports xxYCC. If you check the newest displays that mention 1.3 compatability (Samsung, Sony) you will see them mention support of xxYCC. This reduces color banding by supporting more color depth. See this link for more info concerning HDMI 1.3.

Also xx87s series = HDMI 1.2a, xx89s series =HDMI 1.3a

Oppo Beta Group
post #8695 of 14896 Old 12-07-2007, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagaden View Post

I wrote up instructions for fixing underscan on VGA (and later, HDMI) on this set several months ago. It's very easy to get it "picture perfect". Search through my posts or I'll dig it up for a repost the next time I come back.

I tried searching your posts but haven't found instructions on how to fix the underscan. I have tried the Auto adjust and the image lock. I have everything adjusted correctly on my computer too. It's very odd because when I used my old gaming machine it worked perfectly right off the bat. I used the VGA output instead of the DVI output on my Radeon 9700 that time. I'm wondering if there is something funny going on when it converts the digital DVI signal to the analog vga signal. Today i'm going to pick up a DVI to HDMI cable. I'm hoping this may solve my problem because a lot of people seem to be going this route and managed to get it working. So at least this way I can be trying the same setup as them as opposed to DVI to VGA. I'll let you guys know what happens after i try it out this evening.
post #8696 of 14896 Old 12-07-2007, 05:17 AM

For those that may be planning to purchase this set.there is a online retailer that gives you the samsung stand for free and 1.3 monster cable free w/white glove delivery.base price is higher but it turns out to be a much better deal. CF
post #8697 of 14896 Old 12-07-2007, 05:29 AM

big river 6187 with stand is still $20 cheaper than CF
post #8698 of 14896 Old 12-07-2007, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Yes the xx89s supports xxYCC. If you check the newest displays that mention 1.3 compatability (Samsung, Sony) you will see them mention support of xxYCC. This reduces color banding by supporting more color depth. See this link for more info concerning HDMI 1.3.

Also xx87s series = HDMI 1.2a, xx89s series =HDMI 1.3a

ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. listen to this guy...

---Mr. Met---

post #8699 of 14896 Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorz View Post

My picture suddenly has too much red. No matter what I do with the settings I can't get rid of it. Even when I choose Cool for color temp. It is the same for both cable and DVD.

It seemed to happen all of a sudden. Anyone else have this happen?

Within 8hrs of getting my first unit did this also, except I had the "green push."

If you are still within the 30 day window of purchasing it, just exchange it at the store. Don't bother with a service call if you don't need to.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Gamertag: One Big Wizz
post #8700 of 14896 Old 12-07-2007, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by room112 View Post

Within 8hrs of getting my first unit did this also, expect I had the "green push."

If you are still within the 30 day window of purchasing it, just exchange it at the store. Don't bother with a service call if you don't need to.

So, is this the symptom of Green Push? Seems an odd name for that. I bought this online and would rather avoid having to send it back. However I am having a hell of a time getting Samsung to find an authorized dealer in my area here in Northern San Diego.

I am wondering if anyone has had this issue and had it fixed in house.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page