Forum Jump: 

post #8761 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorz View Post

My picture suddenly has too much red. No matter what I do with the settings I can't get rid of it. Even when I choose Cool for color temp. It is the same for both cable and DVD.

It seemed to happen all of a sudden. Anyone else have this happen?

This happeded to me too, i got the tv on friday, used it friday night, picture is amazing... didnt use it on saturday.. today, turned it on, everything looked BLUE, turned it off and on, everything was red, then it changes from red to darker red until it is dark. i tapped the back of the tv. turned it off. came back 10 min later (to stop myself from roundhouse kicking the tv) and now it looks fine. if this was a one time thing.. fine. but if this is going to happen often, i dont want that..

anyone else?

-J
HLT5087SAX
50" LED DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8762 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 08:50 AM

Hey guys I have been having a problem lately with my 6187 where it will turn off randomly while pushing buttons on any of my remotes. The buttons are random in choice as well. The remote for the TV, the cable box universal remote, and the DVD player remote are all able to turn the TV off at random times while trying to either navigate menus, play/pause, or anything else I may be doing at the time. Anyone else have this issue? Its getting rather annoying especially when I'm trying to adjust picture quality now that I got the HDMI cable connected and the DVD switched to component.

PS360

post #8763 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristo7905 View Post

This happeded to me too, i got the tv on friday, used it friday night, picture is amazing... didnt use it on saturday.. today, turned it on, everything looked BLUE, turned it off and on, everything was red, then it changes from red to darker red until it is dark. i tapped the back of the tv. turned it off. came back 10 min later (to stop myself from roundhouse kicking the tv) and now it looks fine. if this was a one time thing.. fine. but if this is going to happen often, i dont want that..

anyone else?

-J
HLT5087SAX
50" LED DLP

Ok, so now the tv just went black, 30 seconds the picture came back on, went red.. now the picture is fine.... does anyone want to buy a tv with a size 12 footprint through the middle of the screen?

-J
post #8764 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 09:05 AM

3 week update with my 5087S.

Using HDMI cables now over my component cables. HD channels looks a tad bit sharper and the SD channels are a little clearer as well. DVD definitely looks 10x better using the HDMI cables. Bought $6 HDMI cables off of Big River and they work!

So far no problems to speak of. My build date was in Aug (mexico) and the firmware version is 1026.

Picture looks great...esp HD.
post #8765 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn1 View Post

3 week update with my 5087S.

Using HDMI cables now over my component cables. HD channels looks a tad bit sharper and the SD channels are a little clearer as well. DVD definitely looks 10x better using the HDMI cables. Bought $6 HDMI cables off of Big River and they work!

So far no problems to speak of. My build date was in Aug (mexico) and the firmware version is 1026.

Picture looks great...esp HD.

What source are you using for your SD channels? I tried an HDMI cable and the regular SD channels looked terrible.

Jim
post #8766 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 10:35 AM

I'm using Time Warner cable.

Don't get me wrong, the SD channel definately are NOT crystal clear. In fact, some channels like Fox Sports SW and Fox are fuzzy as crap. However, it's gotta be their sorry feed as the other SD channels are decent clarity.
post #8767 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This happeded to me too, i got the tv on friday, used it friday night, picture is amazing... didnt use it on saturday.. today, turned it on, everything looked BLUE, turned it off and on, everything was red, then it changes from red to darker red until it is dark. i tapped the back of the tv. turned it off. came back 10 min later (to stop myself from roundhouse kicking the tv) and now it looks fine. if this was a one time thing.. fine. but if this is going to happen often, i dont want that.. anyone else?
-J HLT5087SAX 50" LED DLP

Quote:

Ok, so now the tv just went black, 30 seconds the picture came back on, went red.. now the picture is fine.... does anyone want to buy a tv with a size 12 footprint through the middle of the screen? -J

You should exchange it for a replacement. Do this right away. Do not wait. Contact the B&M retailer or the online vendor for the exchange.

I had a similar problem with last year's model HL-S5679W. The issue started about 28 days after delivery. Samsung eventually replaced it with an HL-T5689S. Big hassle.

Avio
post #8768 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:

The tv wont fire back up, it'll flash the green led and just keep flashing, i wont be able to turn it off. I have to unplug it. After doing so, the tv will restart

I had the same issue. Samsung replaced the LED driver and now everything is like new.
post #8769 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prijo View Post

This is just my $0.02 based on my experience. If I didn't have the dust collecting on my DLP chip, I wouldn't have called in warranty to fix the Halo. I thought the bright spot on my screen was Halo related and just asked them to fix the halo and maybe it will fix the white spot. When he opened it up and took off the optics, it was immediately clear what was causing my white spot.

He said this is common on all dlp's, everyone on this forum will get it and and should expect it. Luckily, it is easy to fix in about 1 hour, just remove the light engine, remove the shroud, remove the optics (4 screws) and you can reach into the light tube with a qtip and some non streaking cleaning solution.

Depending on your dust situation, you might have to clean this once per year. I've had my tv for 7 months and it needed cleaned, but we have lots of pets, so that doesn't help.

The tech said that if you are smokers and the dust builds up, the smokey dust stains all plastic lenses and stuff, and cleaning makes the non stained areas clean but the stained areas stick out worse than before, so they just don't clean lenses in houses that smoke, those lenses will need to be replaced.

The guy knew what he was doing, he was in and out and got my tv back to original condition. Now I know, twice a year or so, clean the dlp chip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopino View Post

wow u just went on a tangent there....the color u see streaking up towards the white circle in the upper right corner of the set IS NOT due to dust on the dlp chip and for ur info the dlp chip is on the light engine with a heatsink and a fan attached to one end, think of it as a processor in a computer...i just want a simple answer if the red streaking is normal or not because i dont have the halo issue that i had from my previous set...halo is due to a reflection not dust...just to clear up ur .02 cents man

LOL, not really. I was answering what I thought was the question, something on the order of "is it worth it to have the halo fixed if it isn't that bad". So, I gave my $0.02. Maybe I said it in too many words, here is the shortened version: "I would not have fixed the halo if I didn't have a distinct and seperate issue that turned out to be dust on the dlp, however, since I had them come out to fix my seperate and distinct issue that turned out to be dust, I had them fix the halo while they were at it".

I agree that the light streaking up towards the white circle is not dust. I know where the DLP chip is, I watched the guy clean the dust off of it and asked him how I could do this myself, since he said dust on the DLP is a problem with all dlp's.
post #8770 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 05:14 PM

I don't know if this is standard or not, but at the bottom of my screen, it seems like the screen bends down on the bottom two corners. Is this the design, or a defect?

It's not a huge issue, it just seems like the screen dips at the corners.
post #8771 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashid11 View Post

On bowing issue

till you get a small gap to show (2mm or so).

Now, he used some black electrical tape, folded into 3 layers and stuck it into the gap. The goal is to provide a way for larger separation between the screen and back of the set in THE MIDDLE - that's where it bows the most. Samsung was partly right, advising to play with the screws to fix the bowing problem. The reason it never works, is that nothing compels the front (the screen) and the back to part and stay parted, when screws are adjusted for some slack.

With a piece of that tape stuck in the gap, it _will_ provide that separating force. Now put the screws back. In my friends case, all but the 2 screws atop, in the middle, were screwed in tight, the 2 atop were left with some slack. The bowing was gone.

No damage of any sort is done to the TV. No pressure of any sort is ever applied to the mirror. The piece of tape can be removed in seconds, should there be a need for a service visit, so that the whole voiding-of-wty issue is avoided. The whole procedure should take 5 mins. Of course, one needs to display some lines along the top portion of the screen during the procedure, for visual feedback.

Rashid..In my friend`s case the only thing that removes the bowing is a separation of the back of the case from the frame/bezel by about 3/4 of an inch. That is, lifting and pushing the case up and back. In my friend`s case the bowing in the center is 5/8" deeper than the corners. So he assumes that at least that degree of separation (up and back) of the case would be necessary. That would make it almost impossible to close the case as the edge of the case sits in a slot in the frame/bezel. Also leaving that much of an opening would allow dust to enter and settle on the lens. My friend would appreciate any other suggestions!
post #8772 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino520 View Post

Rashid..In my friend`s case the only thing that removes the bowing is a separation of the back of the case from the frame/bezel by about 3/4 of an inch. That is, lifting and pushing the case up and back. In my friend`s case the bowing in the center is 5/8" deeper than the corners. So he assumes that at least that degree of separation (up and back) of the case would be necessary. That would make it almost impossible to close the case as the edge of the case sits in a slot in the frame/bezel. Also leaving that much of an opening would allow dust to enter and settle on the lens. My friend would appreciate any other suggestions!

Would Samsung fix this issue?
post #8773 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prijo View Post

LOL, not really. I was answering what I thought was the question, something on the order of "is it worth it to have the halo fixed if it isn't that bad". So, I gave my $0.02. Maybe I said it in too many words, here is the shortened version: "I would not have fixed the halo if I didn't have a distinct and seperate issue that turned out to be dust on the dlp, however, since I had them come out to fix my seperate and distinct issue that turned out to be dust, I had them fix the halo while they were at it".

I agree that the light streaking up towards the white circle is not dust. I know where the DLP chip is, I watched the guy clean the dust off of it and asked him how I could do this myself, since he said dust on the DLP is a problem with all dlp's.

i know u were not talking about dust being the red light streak, but were relating it to the halo, which i found out after ur reply that it is not connected. Another member on here had his halo fixed and his set does the red streak, i am willing to bet all of our sets do that, it seems like it is the nature of the LED light engine...i can't see it during normal viewing so i am not gonna make the service call unless it worsens!!
post #8774 of 14893 Old 12-09-2007, 07:42 PM

Just bought the 6187s today from bb ($1699) and was wondering where to d/l the service manual? Also, is it possible to get digital movie channels? Currently they start with channel number 500, I subscribe to it, but it doesn't show up.
Finally do I need to read all 293 pages of this thread, or was somebody nice enough to do a summary?

Thanks.

HLT6187 SAX, firmware 1008
post #8775 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecum View Post

Just bought the 6187s today from bb ($1699) and was wondering where to d/l the service manual? Also, is it possible to get digital movie channels? Currently they start with channel number 500, I subscribe to it, but it doesn't show up.
Finally do I need to read all 293 pages of this thread, or was somebody nice enough to do a summary?

Thanks.

Service manual: manualuniverse.com for $17.99.

I don't know what the TV channel limit is because I use a cable STB.

No summary that I know of. Use search or ask.

Bob
post #8776 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 04:29 AM

Room112
I was aware of the ability to download a "user manual". But I am interested in a "service manual" Did I miss a link somewhere?
post #8777 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 04:33 AM

AVI -

Thanks for the info.....that's exactly wht I wanted.
post #8778 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 08:02 AM

Help! I might have accidentally changed a setting in the service menu!

I have a HLT5087SX/XAA, and I was browsing through the service menu, and I might have accidentally changed a setting. The entry "Main AUTO_PAGE_SE" is in the sub-menu "SDP62(SCALER)", and the two possible settings are "ROM" and I2C".

Can anybody who is comfortable entering their service menu tell me what setting their set has? Is the service manual likely to say?

Doug
post #8779 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorz View Post

Originally Posted by explorz
My picture suddenly has too much red. No matter what I do with the settings I can't get rid of it. Even when I choose Cool for color temp. It is the same for both cable and DVD.

It seemed to happen all of a sudden. Anyone else have this happen?

I seemed to have fixed my own issue here. I downgraded my firmware from 1026 to 1025. The red issue persisted. I then upgraded from 1025 to 1026 and the problem is fixed. I just hope it stays fixed!!

Well, the problem came back after I switched the TV off and then later turned it back on. Re-flashing the firmware fixed it again. But obviously that's not a final solution. Here's the weird thing - when the TV comes on and there is too much red, if I bang on the TV (gently) the problem often corrects itself. A loose LED connection? Why would a firmware flash fix that? Why would the problem come back every time I turn the TV on? An electrical static charge building up? No idea.

Finally, after the red problem is fixed. It seems that I have the green push issue. Darkly lit scenes are very green with the shadow areas especially being quite green. I have a repair person coming out next week. I'll update with any fixes they apply.

But I am curious if any of you have any ideas of what the problem may be?
post #8780 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kian View Post

Does the xx89s support 48-bit deep color with it's HDMI 1.3 or is it a lower bit one?

Anyone know? I may switch TV's if it does.
post #8781 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kian View Post

Anyone know? I may switch TV's if it does.

really? its that big of an issue to you? what exactly will you be watching to show off this 48 bit deep color?

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #8782 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

really? its that big of an issue to you? what exactly will you be watching to show off this 48 bit deep color?

Well it's definitely not an issue right now since there are no deep color sources. But I don't want to buy another TV in 2-4 years when there are.
post #8783 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the 5087sax and have a question about the service menu. First how do you get into it? I have tried searching a little and can't seem to find that info.

Also is there a way to adjust the amount of overscan on individual inputs in the service menu.
I would like to adjust the vga input to almost no overscan with my htpc hooked up and I have my cable box on hdmi and that could do with about half the overscan that it has by default.

Any help would be appreciated,
thanks
post #8784 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 11:38 AM

I just bought the Samsung HLT5689S 56" Slim LED Engine 1080p DLP HDTV. When I have volume muted, I hear a quiet fan noise and a low pitched buzz (is this dithering noise?). What I want to ask about today is the low pitched buzz I hear. The buzz is most noticeable when the screen is displaying bright colors. On the other hand, when mostly dark colors(black or dim gray) are displayed, menu mode for example, the buzz disappears.

Is this normal?

Thanks
post #8785 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fesodes View Post

I just bought the Samsung HLT5689S 56" Slim LED Engine 1080p DLP HDTV. When I have volume muted, I hear a quiet fan noise and a low pitched buzz (is this dithering noise?). What I want to ask about today is the low pitched buzz I hear. The buzz is most noticeable when the screen is displaying bright colors. On the other hand, when mostly dark colors(black or dim gray) are displayed, menu mode for example, the buzz disappears.

Is this normal?

Many owners in this thread have reported a similar buzz sound like you describe. My set does not have it. I suggest you read the various posts in this thread:

At the top right of this webpage click on "Search this Thread." Then type in:

buzz

The sound does not seem normal to me. I think I remember some owners posting that they had it repaired or the set was replaced with a new one without the buzz.

Good luck. Avio
post #8786 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 03:48 PM

Ok, i did not want to start a new thread. so here it goes. My tv was crapping out.. Black screen, flashes red blue and green. So im having it picked up for a return.
Should buy another one
HLT5089S 50" Slim LED Engine 1080p DLP HDTV
Or should i purchase :
LNT4665F 46" 1080p LCD HDTV

Standard Picture is not a conern. This T.V's uses will be : A. Highdefintion Cable (SPORTS) B. Playing games on my PS3 C. Watching DVD/bluray movies.

Im manly looking for the opinon of people who have had problems w/ their tv..

THANK YOU.
-J
post #8787 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Maybe my search for the best (for me) HDTV ends tomorrow. I finally seems to have caught this 5687 on sale at Fry's substantially cheaper after tax than even Amazon. My only bit of concern is durability of LED light engine and cost of fixing or replacing it. I'm told that the cost will make bulb price (my primary reason for going with LED in the first place!) look attractive in comparison. Any owner input regarding their experience with the LED light engine? Anything at all, just throw'em at me.

Secondly, I'll be wedging this set in a very tight spot. The specs say that the set's width is 50.4" and my nook is exactly 51" wide. It's plenty deep and I have the height of the wall to work with so I'm hoping (hoping!) that heat buildup will not be an issue, even though clearance on either side is only going to be about a quarter inch. Again, can owners tell me if this unit generates a lot of heat or just very little?

And lastly, can someone point me to a close-up picture of the input panel?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but once I get this set, I will hopefully be able to contribute with some thoughtful insights. (or not)
post #8788 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopino View Post

Another member on here had his halo fixed and his set does the red streak, i am willing to bet all of our sets do that, it seems like it is the nature of the LED light engine...i can't see it during normal viewing so i am not gonna make the service call unless it worsens!!

That member was probably me.

If anyone is interested in testing for the "red line/streak/reflection" problem, it turns out that my halo test can used to test for the red problem as well.

Download the image to a flash drive and view it using the WiseLink USB port. You might see the blue halos and reflections at this point. Now, press "info" on the remote and select "zoom" on the menu. Zoom to 2 times and then press the down arrow on the remote to move the image straight up to the top of the screen. Any red streaks and other reflections will now be visible if you have the problem. It's best to view in a dark room, from normal viewing distance, with your eyes below the centre of the screen.
post #8789 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
The 6187s will not pass audio received through HDMI out their audio output ports. Supposedly it has to do with some copyright "stuff" with the HDMI specification, although there are those who say that the spec doesn't really demand this. Anyway, if your issue is with signal you are receiving through the TV and trying to pass through the "Audio Out" ports, that is probably the problem. Apparently it can't be done.

As I understand it there are three options:

1) Use component connections to your TV and then pass audio from your TV to the receiver.

2) Run video from your device to the TV with HDMI but run audio directly from the device to your receiver.

3) Get a new Receiver with HDMI capabilties and let it do the video & audio switching.

If you have been looking for an excuse to upgrade that ageing receiver... you have now found it.

This is the main issue I have with this unit. Has anyone confirmed this? Does anyone else find this unacceptable? The port does say "Digital audio out (optical)" not "Digital audio out (optical) unless you are using one of the three HDMI inputs we brag about". Is it also true thet the xx89s does allow the optical out using HDMI inputs? If so, it sounds like a $600 ransom to me.
post #8790 of 14893 Old 12-10-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicius View Post

Maybe my search for the best (for me) HDTV ends tomorrow. I finally seems to have caught this 5687 on sale at Fry's substantially cheaper after tax than even Amazon. My only bit of concern is durability of LED light engine and cost of fixing or replacing it. I'm told that the cost will make bulb price (my primary reason for going with LED in the first place!) look attractive in comparison. Any owner input regarding their experience with the LED light engine? Anything at all, just throw'em at me.

Secondly, I'll be wedging this set in a very tight spot. The specs say that the set's width is 50.4" and my nook is exactly 51" wide. It's plenty deep and I have the height of the wall to work with so I'm hoping (hoping!) that heat buildup will not be an issue, even though clearance on either side is only going to be about a quarter inch. Again, can owners tell me if this unit generates a lot of heat or just very little?

And lastly, can someone point me to a close-up picture of the input panel?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but once I get this set, I will hopefully be able to contribute with some thoughtful insights. (or not)

You may have a problem. All of the inputs are on the side. It will be tight. If you plug everything in then slide it back you should be OK. The inputs are not at the 50'' mark.
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...=HLT5687SX/XAA

Jim
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page