post #8791 of 14887 Old 12-10-2007, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXXp View Post

That member was probably me.

If anyone is interested in testing for the "red line/streak/reflection" problem, it turns out that my halo test can used to test for the red problem as well.

Download the image to a flash drive and view it using the WiseLink USB port. You might see the blue halos and reflections at this point. Now, press "info" on the remote and select "zoom" on the menu. Zoom to 2 times and then press the down arrow on the remote to move the image straight up to the top of the screen. Any red streaks and other reflections will now be visible if you have the problem. It's best to view in a dark room, from normal viewing distance, with your eyes below the centre of the screen.

i was referring to you being that member, i used that image before and have no halo or any red streak at normal size i haven't zoomed in...dont think i wanna because ignorance is bliss...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8792 of 14887 Old 12-10-2007, 06:24 PM

i already started a thread on it...but figured i'd link to it here since this IS the owners thread

The main problem...my video and audio are not synced up properly. there is (roughly) 130 milliseconds difference between them. I'm running HDMI 1.3 cables(Monster brand)...so I don't think it's because of cheap cables....better not be anyways! Any help would be appreciated!

edit: i won't be linking it, due to the anti-spammer issues...but since i'm not a spammer...could someone please answer here OR in my other thread related to HLT xx87 audio lag issues.

thanks alot!

austin
post #8793 of 14887 Old 12-10-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicius View Post

Maybe my search for the best (for me) HDTV ends tomorrow. I finally seems to have caught this 5687 on sale at Fry's substantially cheaper after tax than even Amazon. My only bit of concern is durability of LED light engine and cost of fixing or replacing it. I'm told that the cost will make bulb price (my primary reason for going with LED in the first place!) look attractive in comparison. Any owner input regarding their experience with the LED light engine? Anything at all, just throw'em at me.

Secondly, I'll be wedging this set in a very tight spot. The specs say that the set's width is 50.4" and my nook is exactly 51" wide. It's plenty deep and I have the height of the wall to work with so I'm hoping (hoping!) that heat buildup will not be an issue, even though clearance on either side is only going to be about a quarter inch. Again, can owners tell me if this unit generates a lot of heat or just very little?

And lastly, can someone point me to a close-up picture of the input panel?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but once I get this set, I will hopefully be able to contribute with some thoughtful insights. (or not)

With plenty of clearance at the back and above, I don't think you will have a heat issue at all.

As was stated by another responder, I think the biggest issue you will have with the very narrow width is hooking your cables up to the set. The set only has a couple of inches that are the full width and then it starts tapering back at an angle. It's not like you will only have an inch or so clearance for the full depth of the unit. I'm not sure how you will suspend the unit while you are hooking the cables up and then put into your opening since you probably won't be able to "swing" the unit around while sideways in the opening.

As for a picture of the connection panel. It is on the right side of the unit (as you look at it from the front and is on the angled side panel. You can see a pretty good picture of it on the Amazon web site. Just look at the HL-T6186.

Regards, Steve
post #8794 of 14887 Old 12-10-2007, 07:20 PM

OK so I got everything hooked up and I have some blue halo I will need to call Samsung about. What number do I need to call? Also when I ran the test images I got this. Note the upper right hand corner where the grid seems to go up and off the screen and some in the upper left. It is like someone is pulling the corner up. Can a technician fix that?

post #8795 of 14887 Old 12-10-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbraun View Post

Help! I might have accidentally changed a setting in the service menu!

I have a HLT5087SX/XAA, and I was browsing through the service menu, and I might have accidentally changed a setting. The entry "Main AUTO_PAGE_SE" is in the sub-menu "SDP62(SCALER)", and the two possible settings are "ROM" and I2C".

Can anybody who is comfortable entering their service menu tell me what setting their set has? Is the service manual likely to say?

Doug

manualuniverse.com saved my ass. I paid the $18 and got the service manual. It lists the default values for all the service menu items. The manual is 147 pages long, and it is specific to the HLT5087SX/XAA.

Doug
post #8796 of 14887 Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefbob View Post

This is the main issue I have with this unit. Has anyone confirmed this? Does anyone else find this unacceptable? The port does say "Digital audio out (optical)" not "Digital audio out (optical) unless you are using one of the three HDMI inputs we brag about". Is it also true thet the xx89s does allow the optical out using HDMI inputs? If so, it sounds like a $600 ransom to me.

You are not alone. If you click the "Search this Thread" button at the top of this page then do an Advanced Search on my User Name (JRWalker) and the Keywords "Surround sound 5.1 from an HDMI source" you will find the posts with the title "Surround sound 5.1 from an HDMI source" discuss this issue. The first one was on 08-24-07.
post #8797 of 14887 Old 12-10-2007, 10:12 PM

wow
what an extensive thread ...can someone please advise me

I've found a pretty good deal on the HLT5089S
I've also found it to be "discontinued" on one site
and refurbished on another

I thought this was a new model.

also, has there been any insight as to what LED replacement would be in the future ?
should I just settle for a Sony SXRD instead ?
post #8798 of 14887 Old 12-10-2007, 10:30 PM

Thanks Avio. The search this thread function is very useful

I'd also want to thank MLXXXp for the tv_test package as it revealed a few problems my HLT5689S has. The set passed all the tests except for 2. The lesser problem being the one you describe as "reddish beam of light when there is bright light in the upper corners". This is only noticeable when the bright light is at the upper left corner. More specifically, it is only noticeable when A_01_01.jpg is displayed.

The other problem is rather serious IMHO. When I display black.jpg, the screen flickers, flashes, vibrates as though the TV is having a hard time stabilizing the black screen. It is not flashing/vibrating bright light, but the flashes of "near black" light are very visible. With volume muted, I can also hear a difference. The sound of the TV when displaying black.jpg is noticeably different than displaying any other image.

So... what do you think? Should I go back to the store I purchased the TV and ask them to send a technician or should I go directly to Samsung?

P.S. I'm located in Toronto

Thanks in advance
post #8799 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannarella View Post

OK so I got everything hooked up and I have some blue halo I will need to call Samsung about. What number do I need to call? Also when I ran the test images I got this. Note the upper right hand corner where the grid seems to go up and off the screen and some in the upper left. It is like someone is pulling the corner up. Can a technician fix that?

I had Samsung out to look at the geometry issue a couple of weeks ago. My 6187 was off on all four corners, not just one as is yours. He said it can not be fixed (although I think he was full of it). The guy measured it and looked something up in his Samsung manual and then informed me it was within factory specs, albeit barely. He said to keep an eye on it and if it got worse they would replace it. I have the Best Buy extended warranty, so I'm thinking about having them replace it. I'm just concerned what issues I might be trading since a geometry was my only problem and only noticable in certain situations (like bringing up the guide).

HD Junkie
post #8800 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan View Post

Well, I still haven't gotten anything from Samsung customer service - they said they were going to send me the firmware for my new Samsung BD-P1400 Blue-Ray player and for my HLT 6187s. They said it would take three days to a week...

I went to the Samsung customer service website and found the page for my DVD player and downloaded the v1.2 firmware myself, unzipped it and burned an ISO image onto a CD-R. I installed it with no problems. (NOTE: this procedure takes quite a long time).

With help and encouragement from "rashid11," I copied the file that "markm75" posted (post #5727 on THIS thread) for FW update version 1026 for the HLT xx87s displays, unzipped it and installed it in my HLT 6187s according to the instructions in the manual.

Now with the BD-P1400 set to 24 fps, I get a crystal clear picture on the HLT 6187s and the info button reveals that the image is 1920 X 1080p @ 24 fps.

So, even though downloading and installing firmware is AT YOUR OWN RISK, it worked for me. I am very pleased with the results even though Samsung customer service was only a waste of my time and a source of frustration... YMMV Good luck!

Well, today (Dec 11th) I got the FW update on a CD-R for my BD-P1400 Blue-Ray DVD player (version 1.2) that Samsung customer service said (on Nov 30th) would take three days. HOWEVER, the version 1026 FW update (on a thumb drive) for my HLT 6187S has not arrived, so I'm only offering a partial apology to Samsung.

The 24 fps output from the BD-P1400 to the HLT 6187S (no thanks to Samsung customer service) remains functional which is what I wanted, but there is still a stuttering problem that is unacceptable.

What do you do with a company that produces good equipment that you can ONLY get to work correctly WITHOUT that company's customer service?

mnilan
post #8801 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:

manualuniverse.com saved my ass. I paid the $18 and got the service manual. It lists the default values for all the service menu items. The manual is 147 pages long, and it is specific to the HLT5087SX/XAA.

Doug

Doug,

Is the section in the manual on the "service menu" simple enough for the average home user to make use of. i.e. do they describe what the setting do?

Alan
post #8802 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fesodes View Post

I'd also want to thank MLXXXp for the tv_test package as it revealed a few problems my HLT5689S has. The set passed all the tests except for 2. The lesser problem being the one you describe as "reddish beam of light when there is bright light in the upper corners". This is only noticeable when the bright light is at the upper left corner. More specifically, it is only noticeable when A_01_01.jpg is displayed.

the reddish beam is not a problem i feel that all of our sets do that it is just the LED tracking the light to project it into the corner, because it comes from below and that is how these sets project the image, all of our sets do it if we feed it that one image. Don't worry as u will never see it when ur watching tv unless u like watching that one image haha...don't try to get that fixed because it is not a defect...hope that info helps
post #8803 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPERZACE18 View Post

The main problem...my video and audio are not synced up properly. there is (roughly) 130 milliseconds difference between them. I'm running HDMI 1.3 cables(Monster brand)...so I don't think it's because of cheap cables....better not be anyways! Any help would be appreciated!

See my post with title 'Lip sync calibration" at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=7309
post #8804 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopino View Post

the reddish beam is not a problem i feel that all of our sets do that it is just the LED tracking the light to project it into the corner, because it comes from below and that is how these sets project the image, all of our sets do it if we feed it that one image. Don't worry as u will never see it when ur watching tv unless u like watching that one image haha...don't try to get that fixed because it is not a defect...hope that info helps

Thanks wopino. But what about my second problem with the screen vibrating when displaying black.jpg? Do you have that problem too?
post #8805 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 AM

Is the xx89 series a 10-bit display? If so, can a 10-bit set display 48-bit Deep Color?
post #8806 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aposner View Post

Doug,

Is the section in the manual on the "service menu" simple enough for the average home user to make use of. i.e. do they describe what the setting do?

Alan

I have the service manual for the 5687 and the service menu information is pretty basic. Better than the service menu itself but not much. Unless the 5087 is quite different, you won't find much explanation. This obviously was written for trained technicians.

Bob
post #8807 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fesodes View Post

Thanks wopino. But what about my second problem with the screen vibrating when displaying black.jpg? Do you have that problem too?

no i do not have that problem, it is just black when i display that image, that might be somthing worth having a tech come out and look at, i know there were some other members on here that were experiencing a flickering image when watching normal tv and some even reported the sets shutting off, theirs was do to poor connection or poor power source unit? Somebody please correct me if i am wrong because i am not 100% sure that this info is right but it's what i remember. Try searching the word "flicker" under search this thread on the right side on page one of this thread...hope that helps man, i feel ur pain tho i had crazy problems with the halo on my first set....good luck
post #8808 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aposner View Post

Doug,

Alan

The service manual tells how to adjust:

1: Picture tilt
2: Focus
3: Picture centering
4: Evenness of screen illumination.
5: The wobulator

You can do these adjustments without any special tools, except for a suitable test pattern.

It warns that a CCA calibration cannot be done without special equipment, but it does not say what to adjust to do one. It describes how to swap some boards without losing the existing calibration data.

It gives the default values of all service menu parameters, but explains only a few of them. It also explains how to diagnose a defective board, and it has a lot of block and circuit diagrams and explanations of each board and subsystem. The manual is specific to the 5087, but it describes a lot of things like the color wheel and lamp circuit (in addition to the LEDs), so I guess a lot of components and boards are shared across the various DLP models.

BTW, each of the red, green, and blue LEDs uses about 30 Amps of current!

One thing you apparently CANNOT do is adjust the image size or overscan. To do this, it would be necessary to adjust the magnification of the optical system, which is apparently fixed. To do it electronically, you would have to re-scale the horizontal or vertical pixel count, which would degrade the image quality.

Doug
post #8809 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Doug

That should be part of "Position" that we can easily access in our tv's menu.
I would like to "tilt" my 6189's picute maybe 1/8th inch 'up' on the bottom left.
That may be worth the price of the Manual for me.
post #8810 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:

what do you mean by tilt exactly? in my set the focus is super sharp at the top of the screen, and a tiny tiny tiny bit off at the bottom (as if the screen was not completely parallel to the plane of the mirror reflection). Is this something correctable in the service menu?

BTW, tech just left, no more halo here, wohoo! Now just going to wait and see if I'll get a new light engine due to my 'smudge' issue, we'll see...
post #8811 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvindd View Post

That should be part of "Position" that we can easily access in our tv's menu.
I would like to "tilt" my 6189's picute maybe 1/8th inch 'up' on the bottom left.
That may be worth the price of the Manual for me.

I think someone described in a earlier post how to tilt the picture. I think it was just a screw on the back somewhere that tilted the whole light engine slightly which makes the picture on the screen tilt. I am not positive about that but I am pretty sure.
post #8812 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 03:51 PM

hey guys thanks for all the time spent on this forum.......

so i need to know what model of the .sammy led ..61" or bigger that is ok to buy now with no halo problems,or what build dates and where to look on the tv.......

i want to go and get one now....... but im scared........is there any new models i need to wait for .to tell the truth....ill only be using it for gaming so no lag on game mode speed is a must..is there a better big tv for gaming than this one
post #8813 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How do you tell if a TV is a HLT5687 SAX version?
post #8814 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kian View Post

Is the xx89 series a 10-bit display? If so, can a 10-bit set display 48-bit Deep Color?

You mostly find the term 10-bit display associated with LCD flat panels, with means it supports 1024 shades of gradation (shades of gray). Usually they mention 8 bit gradation with millions of colors and 10 bit gradation with billions of colors

Deep color refers to the support of 30-bit, 36-bit, and 48-bit color in displays. A LED DLP has a very wide color gamut because of the LED source so it can display billions of colors as well as support at minimum of 1024 shades of gradation. Some higher quality DLP projectors support 4096 shades.

Plasma's have always in had a advantage in displaying number of graduations.

Yes, both the xx87s/xx89s series are 10-bit displays capable of 1.07 billion colors.

Oppo Beta Group
post #8815 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinrSavdByGrace View Post

... i need to know what model of the .sammy led ..61" or bigger ...

This series of TVs, 2007 Samsung LED DLP (HLT XX87/89S), comes in 3 sizes: 50", 56" and 61", nothing bigger in LED yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinrSavdByGrace View Post

... ill only be using it for gaming so no lag on game mode speed is a must...

Gamers have reported in this thread that these sets are very fast and have little to no lag. A Game Mode exists, but one recent poster said it was not useful or needed... the other modes were plenty fast and responsive.

Avio
post #8816 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckDaddy View Post

wow
what an extensive thread ...can someone please advise me

I've found a pretty good deal on the HLT5089S
I've also found it to be "discontinued" on one site
and refurbished on another

I thought this was a new model.

also, has there been any insight as to what LED replacement would be in the future ?
should I just settle for a Sony SXRD instead ?

The xx87s and xx89s are currently both shipping and neither line has been discontinued. Samsung will be using the DarkChip4 in 2008 which results in improved contrast ratios in RPD and projectors, so there will be some new models later in the 2008 (announced at January CES, shipping late March or later). Hopefully they can ship a LED DLP RPD greater in size then 61".

Just a note, although the Sony SXRD offers a comparable PQ, your stuck without instant on/off, fan noise, and changing a arc-bulb every 6,000 to 8,000 hours compared to the Samsung LED DLP's. Also LED light sources don't need to be replaced (life of set).

BTW the 5089s supports HDMI 1.3a (xxYCC, Deep Color) so looks really good with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player.

Oppo Beta Group
post #8817 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 06:19 PM

I have a pretty strange situation. I had the Samsung repair man come out today to look at the bowing issue I have with the casing around the HLT6187SAX TV. The bottom left and right corners are curving down and the center of the screen is pushing up.

When the guy was inspecting it, there are about 4 gouges in the top of the screen, which is slightly underneath the casing.

He said this was a delivery issue and that they wouldn't obviously cover it.

The shock bar on the package wasn't activated, but the delivery man only showed me one of them.

1call told me I had to file a claim within 72 hours of delivery or I'm basically stuck.

I don't know what to do now.
post #8818 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 06:47 PM

Just got my HLT6187s but it is going to be a couple of weeks before I get to do anything with it. I am wondering what the best settings are for the TV. I will have it calibrated but would like some input as to what to change the settings to for the best pq. I figured many of you have went through this by now. Thanks in advance for any info!!!
post #8819 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlachowin View Post

Long time reader of this thread, first time poster. Lots of great information here, this website is wonderful.

I took delivery of a HLT5687SX/XAA mid October. I immediately noticed the halo prism with dark scenes, espeicially watching DVD with letterbox. It looks like the issue has been solved by others with having the "diffuser kit" installed, by replacing the shiny ring with a black one.

Samsung tech just left, and he is going to actually replace the whole light engine assembly. I told him about just getting the "diffuser kit" and to just replace the ring, but he is insistant on getting a new assembly and just replacing it as a whole unit. Supposedly the new light engine will already have the black ring installed. He said we could just take a black marker tonight and paint it, but it would eventually have the same issue as he said the light assembly gets very hot.

So, they will be calling me once they get the new light engine. If I can get this fixed, I will be very happy with the set. I do have the latest firmware, as the TV shipped with it.

Also, 2 Samsung techs were over. one of them had to go to the bathroom, but I only have one bathroom. My wife was in the shower, he went outside for about 3 minutes and came back inside. My wife was out of the shower and I asked him if he needed to use the restroom, and he said no with a smirk on his face??? Did he piss in a bottle in the Samsung van or on my flowers? You make the decision LOL

Justin

Just an update on my halo prism issue. Samsung tech was sent out with just the "black ring" - and installed it in about 20 minutes. No more halo! He even came after a major snow storm in Wisconsin. He also gave me some Samsung cleaner to use around the case! I'm very happy with this set. I also picked up a PS3 yesterday, Blu-Ray is amazing.
post #8820 of 14887 Old 12-11-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

You mostly find the term 10-bit display associated with LCD flat panels, with means it supports 1024 shades of gradation (shades of gray). Usually they mention 8 bit gradation with millions of colors and 10 bit gradation with billions of colors

Deep color refers to the support of 30-bit, 36-bit, and 48-bit color in displays. A LED DLP has a very wide color gamut because of the LED source so it can display billions of colors as well as support at minimum of 1024 shades of gradation. Some higher quality DLP projectors support 4096 shades.

Plasma's have always in had a advantage in displaying number of graduations

Does the shades of gradation have to do with the Deep Color support?

Also, can the xx89S support and display all the colors in 48-bit Deep Color sources(when there are some)? You said LED DLP's have a higher color gamut so I was wondering if it's as high as 48-bit Deep Color.

I also sent you a PM. Thanks John!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page