2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 317 - AVS Forum
First ... 315  316  317 318  319  ... Last
Rear Projection Units > 2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S)
Redbird's Avatar Redbird 11:29 AM 01-09-2008
Had my "Halo Effect" problem fixed by a tech yesterday. Just as simple as I had hoped. He was in and out in less than 30 minutes with no problems.

The tech left this behind with instructions from Samsung on going into Factory mode and making adjustments to the DLP engine.

Kloc's Avatar Kloc 11:42 AM 01-09-2008
That looks interesting
iriedog's Avatar iriedog 12:37 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iriedog View Post

Just received and set up my HLT5689S tonight. (1/7/08)

I have smudges all over the top right and one right in the center of the screen. Not happy.

I see a bunch of smudge post on a search.

Did anyone get theirs resolved to satisfaction?

Pics attached

I am in Kyle, TX - South of Austin about 20 miles.
OK, I submitted an online service request through Samsung and was assigned in-home service by Affordable Electronic Service in Austin.

Has anyone had service from these guys? I have not had a call or email as of yet. No one answers the phone either.

Samsung said acknowledgment should be within 24hr

Who has had in-home service done in Austin area?

And I understand that it is right after the holidays and service personnel are bound to be swamped.

Steve
hd#1's Avatar hd#1 12:59 PM 01-09-2008
I have seen a difference in better pq when I change the Gamma to -3. Is it okay for me to set that to that setting?
hiyman's Avatar hiyman 01:16 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloc View Post

I just ordered a PS3 it's supposed to come in on friday. This will be my first HD player so I'm really excited to see what they look like. Right now all i have is an old toshiba dvd player that doesnt up convert or anything so I'm looking forward to see how good they look when the PS3 gets ahold of them.

Let me know how the 2 compare for watching sd DVD's. I currently have an old Toshiba also and it actually doesn't look to bad. I just want it to look better.
mooninite's Avatar mooninite 01:55 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse31 View Post

Call it what ever I want but playing a HD-DVD on the PS3 or any other quality "upconverting" HD-DVD player shows a TREMENDOUS increase in quality compared to playing the HD-DVD on a 480i player.

Thanks for totally ignoring my post, even after quoting it and you didn't even quote all of it properly.

Example: You realize that computers, displaying at 1024x768 5 years ago before HDTV came about, were playing DVDs? If you full screened it.... *GASP* your "upconversion" (known as video scaling by real people) happened!

... but you've been bought out with the whole "upconverting" gimmick so I can't convince you otherwise.
BKVic's Avatar BKVic 02:07 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post

Remember folks........ the PS3 does no "upconverting" and "upconverting" is a marketing gimmick.

Yes, I own a PS3. Any 480 content is displayed at 480 - even on a Blu-ray movie. The PS3 is an excellent DVD player though, and even better Blu-ray Profile 1.1 player. Samsung's 480 picture is good enough to make you think its not 480.

Ill be the first to say Im no expert on AV stuff but when Im playing a DVD in my PS3 and then hit the info button on my 6187 remote it says the input is 1920x1080@60Hz. I could be wrong but isnt that telling me that the signal being input INTO my tv is 1920x1080, and that siganl is coming out of my PS3?

BKVic

Just did some research and found out that as of firmware update 1.8 the PS3 does upscale DVDs as well as PSOne and Ps2 games.
hiyman's Avatar hiyman 03:14 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:

Thanks for totally ignoring my post, even after quoting it and you didn't even quote all of it properly.

Example: You realize that computers, displaying at 1024x768 5 years ago before HDTV came about, were playing DVDs? If you full screened it.... *GASP* your "upconversion" (known as video scaling by real people) happened!

... but you've been bought out with the whole "upconverting" gimmick so I can't convince you otherwise.

??????????
docrings's Avatar docrings 04:29 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:

There is some difference to upscaling vs. upconverting, and a world of difference on software/hardware algorithms to do just those things...whether done by either the DVD player and/or the television itself.

Hence the vast price difference on some high-end DVD players (and HD-DVD/BR players) and the market for high-end video scalers that are dejeur on pricey home theaters. This difference in upscaling/upconverting quality is also behind the huge disparity in DVD testing results that are quite available in other threads on the AVSForum especially with the sticky threads HERE. Let's move the discussion there...

docrings's Avatar docrings 04:35 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird View Post

Had my "Halo Effect" problem fixed by a tech yesterday. Just as simple as I had hoped. He was in and out in less than 30 minutes with no problems.

The tech left this behind with instructions from Samsung on going into Factory mode and making adjustments to the DLP engine.

Awesome find! I'll be diving in to see how this all goes, and work it into my Service Menu Tweak Guide...

I also added it to the "HLT Tech Links" page!

Cheers!

docrings's Avatar docrings 04:41 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadgirl View Post

Hi, all.
I bought my set in December. I put it where I had a 50inch sammy dlp. I sit about 10 - 11 feet back. I feed two directv hd-dvrs (10-250 and HR20) to it via denon 3808 receiver and using hdmi cables to the denon and then to the tv (like I did with the other tv). Also, I calibrated it with the Spyder tv product. So, issues of concern -

1. Picture quality is just not popping like with the other dlp. I mean that one is sharp (also calibrated it with the spyder last year). It just seems very soft. And I had a dvr recording of the new Law and Order from last week and went to watch it last night and it was horrendous! Off of my rooftop OTA which usually produces wonderful 1080 picture. I made sure the dvr was using the 1080 and it was. I even tried to make sure the denon wasn't processing and just letting the tv. Still just not good. Any ideas about why this is? Shouldn't the LEDs be as good as the bulb dlps? There seems to be no other bowing or sounds (occasional pop from plastic I think) or anything, I just am not thrilled with the picture and didn't expect it to be lesser quality than the tv I bought 2 years ago. Some pictures look better than other (from the same dvr or ota). But overall a struggle to love this thing so far. I bought samsung because of how happy I was with my other one. Also got the 89 model thinking it would be more future-proof. HELP please if you can. How do I report this to Samsung - they might just think I don't know what a good picture is. Anyone have similar experience with the softness of the set? Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks for being here! I look forward to any responses you might have.
Laura

You might try to tweak your "focus" knob, but requires opening up the back of the TV and doing a reach inside the TV. You also need a second person to let you know how sharp it is (if you move the knob too far, it will get blurry again). Not hard, just cumbersome.

Call Samsung if your not happy. It should be CRYSTAL clear sharp, and you should be happy!

See Tech links (HLS link also has some links to focus adjustments).

Cheers,
Doc

SLYDoggie's Avatar SLYDoggie 06:49 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post

Steve,
I've had a 5087 and 2 5687 sets. The 5087 was horizontal and the two 5687 sets are vertical. Functionality doesn't seem to be different, but I really like the user interface of the horizontal much better. Someone here stated a while back it's beacause of the firmware. I'm not sure what I had on the 5087,but I have 1008 on this 5687sax.

I'd really like to get back to the horizontal menu. I've tried online-chat with Samsung about getting a firmware upgrade, but they swear that 1008 is the newest, which obviousely is ********! Any suggestions on how the get the newest firmware? Has anyone posted a link that you've seen? Do you know if 5087,6187 firmware is compatable with the 5687?

It sure would be nice if someone did post a link to help us all out, being that Samsung seems to like to jerk a selected few of us around.

I think the firmware is based on the fact that you have an xx87S, xx87SAX, or xx89. I don't think it matters what inch screen you have in each of these models. The only firmware postings I am aware of are 1026 and 1028 for the xx87S. These links are posted in this thread.
tecum's Avatar tecum 07:13 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post

I think the firmware is based on the fact that you have an xx87S, xx87SAX, or xx89. I don't think it matters what inch screen you have in each of these models. The only firmware postings I am aware of are 1026 and 1028 for the xx87S. These links are posted in this thread.

1008 is the latest firmware for the xx87SAX.
thrillhouse12's Avatar thrillhouse12 08:28 PM 01-09-2008
Recieved my HLT5087SAX on Tuesday. PQ looks great. There is a slight bow in the middle. Maybe an eighth of an inch or so. Hardly noticable once I fixed the underscanning on the source. I probably wouldn't have noticed at all if I hadn't done all the reading on this forum so that I was aware of it. My MythTV box doesn't have an HD tuner so it looks a little soft. (I ordered on and it should be here next week). The HD tuner in the TV works great. One question I have, and I apologize if this has been addressed in this thread previously, is what do I need in order to view a 3D DVD? Do I need a special DVD player or whats the story?
hd#1's Avatar hd#1 08:57 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:

I actually used this settings and dont like the pq does anyone have the actual factory settings number so I can changed back to what it used to be. Thanks.
CraziFuzzy's Avatar CraziFuzzy 09:14 PM 01-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse12 View Post

Recieved my HLT5087SAX on Tuesday. PQ looks great. There is a slight bow in the middle. Maybe an eighth of an inch or so. Hardly noticable once I fixed the underscanning on the source. I probably wouldn't have noticed at all if I hadn't done all the reading on this forum so that I was aware of it. My MythTV box doesn't have an HD tuner so it looks a little soft. (I ordered on and it should be here next week). The HD tuner in the TV works great. One question I have, and I apologize if this has been addressed in this thread previously, is what do I need in order to view a 3D DVD? Do I need a special DVD player or whats the story?

Since you are running a PC into the tv (obviously, since using MythTV), You would not need any extra hardware to playback the 3D DVD. Unfortunately (for you), the only free software 3D player I know of is a windows program called Stereoscopic Player (get it at http://www.3dtv.at ). It will require DVD software to work (WinDVD, etc.). The PC must be hooked up via DVI/HDMI into HDMI3 on the tv to enable stereo, and you will need compatable shutter glasses. I got my glasses at http://www.i-glassesstore.com . They are under the 3D DLP System.
mikejedi123's Avatar mikejedi123 10:22 PM 01-09-2008
I have an 87S 61" LED set and love it!! Can someone please tell me why Home Theater magazine and UltimateAV mag gave it such a low score ??? !!
Its the craziest thing.. every TV has its pros and cons.. but these reviews basically say the PQ sucks and my own eyes and many of us here know that not to be the case.. any thoughts? Juts curious.. i haven't seen anything on this thread so just wondering what others thought of this weirdness...

thanks
motorheadache's Avatar motorheadache 11:20 PM 01-09-2008
MikeJedi,

I actually have the problem with the set that those magazines complained about. By default, when I watch this set at night with the lights off, any dark scenes with a lot of ambient black look terrible. This is because the set is back-lit way too high, from what I understand. I especially noticed this, since my previous HD set was a CRT Direct-view, which still handles black the best. I have since largely fixed this problem by closing the aperture in the service menu to reduce the light output if I watch something at night.
kneel999's Avatar kneel999 12:33 AM 01-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant12179 View Post

I have tried to contact them about the 1028 firmware and they had never heard of it. I was hoping someone would get further than I did.

I just purchased the hl-t6187S and checked the firmware on it.
It says Module: T-lauraus0=1028, date: 2007-09-15 micom: t-dledaus5-3036
kernel: rfs...

So I would assume this has version 1028 pre-installed on it.
Apparently version 1028 does indeed exist.
Kagaden's Avatar Kagaden 02:41 AM 01-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdreamsmaycome View Post

does anybody (with the service manual) know if it's possible to correct a slight lack of focus in one corner (bottom right) with the set or if it's not possible? The tech just came to my place (for an unrelated reason) and he said that in these TVs it is not possible at all to adjust the focus in any way, which to me seems a bit strange...

He wasn't even aware of the stop screws to adjust the position of the light engine tray either, though, so possibly he wasn't exactly the most up-to-date tech on this model.

A tech definitely adjusted the sharpness (focus) after the halo fix on the second run for my xx87 set. It almost seemed like there was a nob or something he was tweaking, he could make it fuzzier or sharper... I'm not sure if this was done on a quadrant level... it looks like the right half of my screen is getting fuzzy again though and I'm about to talk to samsung again.
mnilan's Avatar mnilan 05:56 AM 01-10-2008
Quote:

Redbird:
I suggest being careful with Samsung documentation. We have noted discrepancies in the past where they copied parts of previous models' user and service manuals rather indiscriminantly. In this case, their missive talks about a color wheel. I do not believe that the LED DLPs even have a color wheel. I would therefore be very careful about implementing anything else on this sheet...
rettenhu's Avatar rettenhu 06:47 AM 01-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan View Post

Redbird:
I suggest being careful with Samsung documentation. We have noted discrepancies in the past where they copied parts of previous models' user and service manuals rather indiscriminantly. In this case, their missive talks about a color wheel. I do not believe that the LED DLPs even have a color wheel. I would therefore be very careful about implementing anything else on this sheet...

LED sets do NOT have a color wheel. And if should decide to go into the servcie menu, copy down all settings BEFORE you change them so you can reset them if you don't like the results.
Redbird's Avatar Redbird 07:35 AM 01-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan View Post

Redbird:

Noted!

I should have mentioned that I have no intention of even trying to enter the Factory Mode myself, I just thought the information might be useful to someone.

Definitely a -- USE AT OUR OWN RISK -- warning applies.
loafy929's Avatar loafy929 07:47 AM 01-10-2008
Sweet baby jesus, I got my HLT5087S yesterday, and it is AMAZING! After spending some quality time moving my entire entertainment and surround setup, and hooking up the component video cables wrong on two different sources (color blind?), I can testify that this is an amazing television. Colors and black levels are much better out of the box than my Samsung LCD.

TV arrived in good condition. From what I can tell with my limited time with it so far, there are no problems with screen uniformity, no halo, no noticeable bowing or "tilt". The only problem so far has been getting my living room re-arranged. Coming from a 26" LCD this thing just looks enormous!!! I was sitting about 6' away from it last night playing a game and it was too, too close for my eyes. Time to think about moving the couch back!

I'll try to post some pictures later of my setup. Oh, btw, I got the "SAX" model.
Chekoman's Avatar Chekoman 08:54 AM 01-10-2008
Ok, I've read like 100+ post about having or using the 24Hz output mode (I have a PS3 that can force the output to this) and a HLT5087s TV. I'm sorry but can someone explain me what are the benefits or noticeable changes to having this??? Believe me, I read and read and cannot understand it yet!!
Sorry and thank you very much for taking your time to answer this..
Chekoman's Avatar Chekoman 09:34 AM 01-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

Chek....

Well if you've read all the posts, and that would be a huge accomplishment by the way, regarding the issue I'm not sure what more can be said.

The difference is the 24fps is how movies are made/shown in the theater. Using 24fps makes the viewing experience more like the original movie.

When it comes to "different" or "better", that is hard to qualify/quantify.

That's kinda up to you.

I've said in the past when watching a high def playback at 60fps have I ever once sat there going, "Damn, I wish there were in 24fps!"? No, not once.

When watching 24fps does it look to me more like being at the movies and do I prefer that effect? Yep. You bet.

The other angle on this is what happens to the source when at 24fps to be made to display at 30fps/60fps/etc.? And the answer is frames get added with "filler". And that is sometimes noticable. Several terms describe it but basically some folks can see the "filler" to get the fps from 24 to 30/60/etc., and seeing the filler diminishes their viewing pleasure.

As it should.

I think in general we would prefer to watch source material the way that source material was made. So 24fps is important to be able to do so. But it only applies to source material that is at 24fps. So hd-dvd, bluray, etc.

I don't know if that helps but that's about the best I can do.

Jim

Jim...
That almost made me cry.
Damn good explanation!! Couldn't be better. I will check with some of my BR movies.
I really really thank you for this.
fraddi's Avatar fraddi 12:48 PM 01-10-2008
are these the new 2008 models??? 240hz, darkchip4?? chekout the link and scroll down a bit..ull see what i mean!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=2008+dlp
mooninite's Avatar mooninite 01:43 PM 01-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraddi View Post

are these the new 2008 models??? 240hz, darkchip4?? chekout the link and scroll down a bit..ull see what i mean!

Yeah I saw those. They look amazing... I hope they stick with their tried and true case instead of the slim one they put on the XX76 model.
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar BLACKTOOTHGRIN 01:56 PM 01-10-2008
I found the below quote in a different hidef forum. Does anyone know it to be true?

"I did and on-line 'chat' with Samsung tech support and asked the exact S vs SAX question. After a lengthly wait while he checked, the answer was that it was just an in-house change of name, no tech difference at all."

Just curious.
Kloc's Avatar Kloc 02:12 PM 01-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraddi View Post

Holy crap 500,000:1 contrast ratio thats crazy.
Tags: Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
First ... 315  316  317 318  319  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop