2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 335 - AVS Forum
First ... 333  334  335 336  337  ... Last
Rear Projection Units > 2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S)
jamesb7403's Avatar jamesb7403 11:21 PM 01-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

The xx89s series supports 30 bit (billions) deep color depth via HDMI 1.3a. The xx87s series supports 24 bit color (millions) depth via HDMI 1.2a. The xx87s series lacks the software interface to enable xvYCC like the xx89s series.

What is the new Deep Color capability of HDMI?

"It is extremely important for the consumer to understand that every movie that was ever transferred to a DVD or any other digital format has been transferred using an 8-bit color depth. While the newest Deep Color format may give an improvement in the quality of the picture, there is no content currently available, no archived material, no movies, and no TV shows, that can be trans-coded easily into the deep color system."

What's so different between xvYCC color standard and Deep Color?

"An xvYCC display, along with Deep Color to reduce the posterization, can display the complete range of colors that can be viewed by the human eye. The color specification of HDMI 1.3 is formed from these two technologies."

John thanks again for your response.As always it was informative. I want to let you know that I bought the HLT5687 this past Friday. I should take possession sometime between this wednesday and Saturday. I'm only waiting for the call that it has arrived at the store and ready for pickup.

I also want to share with you and the persons on this thread. That I again made a follow up call to Samsung today as a follow up to last friday's call. I spoke with someone who today told me that not all "87" models are HDMI 1.3 for 2007. I was told that the earlier models were only 1.1 and later 1.2. She said it appears that models built after august 12, 2007 are HDMI 1.3.. She also said that it appears the firmware update 1026 appears to be the software fix for it. I'm only saying "if" that were true that would help answer one of the questions that had been discussed many times here. whether the 87 series has HDMI 1.3 like the 89 series tv.

jim

jamesb7403's Avatar jamesb7403 11:43 PM 01-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post

No one knows for sure. Not even Samsung. No one needs HDMI 1.3 anyway as nothing but highly expensive camcorders and highly expensive receivers support HDMI 1.3. Blu-ray/HD-DVD don't send out the colorspace either, so you'll never benefit. Plus the move from 24-bit to 30-bit is indistinguishable to the human eye.

I have had no issues with color on Blu-ray movies on my PS3. I have my color set to "Wide" (native colors) on my calibrated HL-T5687 and it looks as realistic as you could ask for. The 89 series is marketing hype.

mooninite thanks so much for your response. It's refreshing to know that you have the 87 series and you find your picture to be outstanding. I was only hoping to that it had the technology to future proof my tv. But based on your comments and John I won't need nor could I see the full potential of what the technology has to offer.

jim
JohnAV's Avatar JohnAV 11:52 PM 01-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb7403 View Post

John thanks again for your response.As always it was informative. I want to let you know that I bought the HLT5687 this past Friday. I should take possession sometime between this wednesday and Saturday. I'm only waiting for the call that it has arrived at the store and ready for pickup.

I also want to share with you and the persons on this thread. That I again made a follow up call to Samsung today as a follow up to last friday's call. I spoke with someone who today told me that not all "87" models are HDMI 1.3 for 2007. I was told that the earlier models were only 1.1 and later 1.2. She said it appears that models built after august 12, 2007 are HDMI 1.3.. She also said that it appears the firmware update 1026 appears to be the software fix for it. I'm only saying "if" that were true that would help answer one of the questions that had been discussed many times here. whether the 87 series has HDMI 1.3 like the 89 series tv.

jim

Thanks. There was some discussion on page 320 this topic by j_matthews129. "The firmware version for my 5687SAX is in fact 1008. The date next to that was the Sept. 2007 date I mentioned."

This difference in firmware versions could account for a different feature set in late 2007 xx87sax displays possibly including HDMI 1.3a ports. The previous xx87s had firmware as mention as high as version 1028. Wonder if the xx87sax had the xyVCC option in detailed settings.
jamesb7403's Avatar jamesb7403 11:54 PM 01-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post

Similar call from me last night and they came back with 1.2, to confirm what everyone is saying here.

Justin

JustinHEMI05 can you call Samsung I was told by the rep if I give her my serial no. of my unit after it arrives she can tell me everything about my unit including whether it's HDMI 1.3. Also check your build date. I know what some are thinking it's not true. I would tend to agree with that. I have found that it really depends on the person that you talk to and their general product knowledge. It does vary with the person you talk to. It seems plausible though. Because two persons had mentioned that 2007 LED's are HDMI 1.3. Although the person I spoke to on friday said all products were for 2007. The second person corrected his wrong interpretation on the HDMI.

jim
jamesb7403's Avatar jamesb7403 12:18 AM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Thanks. There was some discussion on page 320 this topic by j_matthews129. "The firmware version for my 5687SAX is in fact 1008. The date next to that was the Sept. 2007 date I mentioned."

This difference in firmware versions could account for a different feature set in late 2007 xx87sax displays possibly including HDMI 1.3a ports. The previous xx87s had firmware as mention as high as version 1028. Wonder if the xx87sax had the xyVCC option in detailed settings.

Johnav I'm not sure. I will poke around the tv or call Samsung and give them the serial number and see what they say or within a couple of days of receiveing it will check it out for myself. Providing the build date is September or after.

jim
jsmiddleton4's Avatar jsmiddleton4 06:17 AM 01-29-2008
Justin...

56 or 61?

At those sizes it seems to me if you have room for the 61 I'd advise you to get it. In terms of your viewing distance 5 inches is not going to matter that much. In other words if 56 isn't too big, 61 isn't going to be either. I am at about same distances and had a 57 inch MIT. Went to the 61 inch Samsung. While I would not want it to be any bigger than 61 inches, the TV is fine and not too big. PQ is amazing.
Schils's Avatar Schils 07:28 AM 01-29-2008
I'm a little puzzled now about FW version...just bought my TV (6187SAX) a few days ago, the info shows that it was built 9/20/2007 and the FW # is 1008....not sure if the 1028 is intended for use with my set, should I apply it?
brecker's Avatar brecker 07:38 AM 01-29-2008
This thread is too big

Can someone link to a good calibration setting for the 6189S?

I've ordered a calibration DVD, but I have to wait too long for it, and I can only adjust so much manually
mike105105's Avatar mike105105 07:50 AM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

I'm a little puzzled now about FW version...just bought my TV (6187SAX) a few days ago, the info shows that it was built 9/20/2007 and the FW # is 1008....not sure if the 1028 is intended for use with my set, should I apply it?

That date is the date that they compiled that version of the firmware...not the mfg date of the tv....and no, 1028 is not for the sax.

Mike
Schils's Avatar Schils 08:47 AM 01-29-2008
Thanks! I'll leave it be then, if it's not broke, don't break it. =)
ICBM99's Avatar ICBM99 08:53 AM 01-29-2008
Justin,
I have a 6187s and sit about 8 feet away. Its perfect. I love it at that distance.
Hoffodome's Avatar Hoffodome 09:06 AM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

I'm still simply wondering what is the difference between the 1026 and 1028 firmware and the earliest ones. After upgrading to 1026 on my set, I have found absolutely none.

The big difference for me upgrading to 1026 (from 1023) was to get the HDMI inputs to save the picture settings. It would always default to Dynamic mode when you switch back to HDMI. Not sure what else it fixes.

Don't know anything about 1028, got my firmware about 2 weeks ago and would assume they would send out the latest one, maybe not.
Avio's Avatar Avio 09:42 AM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecker View Post

... Can someone link to a good calibration setting for the 6189S? ... I can only adjust so much manually

Here are the so-called "suggested starter settings."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

Check out these links:

Avical's starter settings for Samsung HL-Txx87/89 DLP
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=866534

Avical starter settings (website):
http://www.avical.com/articles/samsu..._settings.html

Samsung HL-T6187S 61" Best Settings Poll/Survey...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=903513

Avio
8chman's Avatar 8chman 10:24 AM 01-29-2008
Thanks and kudos to all for a great forum! Been lurking here for weeks; reading, learning from all of your collective experiences.

Bought a 6187SAX and Samsung stand... Got it yesterday... All I can say is WOW!!! None of the issues stated here in the forum as far as I can tell so far. Used the starter settings from the forum and I'm just giddy right now.

One newbie question... I have searched the forum but cannot find the key stroke combination to display the firmware??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
MUswimKT's Avatar MUswimKT 10:25 AM 01-29-2008
*Bump*

DirecTV sent 2 more guys out and they still couldn't fix the problem so I'm heading over to Comcast now. Anyone have feedback on how HD looks on their 5687 with Comcast HD?

Also, even with Blue-Ray now I'm noticing some flickering on the darker scenes and with certain camera angles...I'm assuming this is the TV. Can I fix this myself or should I do a return/exchange for a new one?

Really wish the delivery guys were more competent so I didn't have to drag this one back in... After seeing them ramp over speed bumps and swap out my TV for a smaller broken one at first thinking I wouldn't catch them, there's no way in he** I'm trusting them.
mtallent's Avatar mtallent 10:45 AM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI05 View Post

56 or 61? Yes I have seen the recommended viewing distance charts, but what about this TV specifically would you recommend? I have 8-10 feet. Thanks

Justin

The charts are correct for seeing all the detail, and the THX suggested distance is similar. I set about 8 feet from my 6187 and it looks amazing. I use HD-DVD player, D-VHS, Comcast cable HD, big dish satellite HD and HTPC with 1:1 pixel mapping for 1080 video files, all look great at 8 feet from my 6187 DLP.

Mike T
Avio's Avatar Avio 11:15 AM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8chman View Post

... One newbie question... I have searched the forum but cannot find the key stroke combination to display the firmware??? ...

Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle View Post

To check your firmware version, here are the instructions:

1. Turn on your TV.
2. Press the MENU button on your remote.
3. Select SETUP, and then press ENTER.
4. Select Function Help, and then press ENTER.
5. Use the Up or Down arrow button on your remote to move down to Function Help to ON, and then press the ENTER button.
6. With Function Help ON highlighted (don't actually push ENTER on it), press the INFO button on the remote. Your firmware revision will be listed as two lines of information. The TOP line is your software firmware. The BOTTOM line is the hardware revision number.

Avio
E-A-G-L-E-S's Avatar E-A-G-L-E-S 11:21 AM 01-29-2008
Anyone forsee a price drop coming on the 6187S?
hd#1's Avatar hd#1 11:24 AM 01-29-2008
I know this has been covered a million times so lets make it million and one. I am due to get a firmware update for my HLT 5087SAX will this fix the 24hz juddering when I play HD movies or not. A tech came out and changed my main board and said with a firmware update that should fix it since it may be an HDMI issue. Is this true?
mtallent's Avatar mtallent 11:49 AM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUswimKT View Post

DirecTV sent 2 more guys out and they still couldn't fix the problem so I'm heading over to Comcast now. Anyone have feedback on how HD looks on their 5687 with Comcast HD?

Also, even with Blue-Ray now I'm noticing some flickering on the darker scenes and with certain camera angles...I'm assuming this is the TV. Can I fix this myself or should I do a return/exchange for a new one?

I have Comcast HD and here they do not recompress any of the HD channels, so you get pictures as good as the source is, unlike Dish or DirecTV. About 30 HD channels, looks great. I switched from DirecTV about 2 years ago when the cable was extended to my house (farm), did not like the low resolution of HD-Lite from DirecTV. The HD video on demand is also very good, about 40 movies on PPV and about 10 free with another 30 or so available from the premium providers like Starz, HBO,Showtime if you subscribe to them. Also numerous network shows and music in HD from VOD.

If the flickering is on sharp detail I think some of it is the SSE stuff, make sure you do not have edge enhancement turned on or sharpness above 0 as this will make the effect more noticable. I noticed some on mine but after about 6 months of use, I don't notice it much at all anymore.

Mike T
MUswimKT's Avatar MUswimKT 12:54 PM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

I have Comcast HD and here they do not recompress any of the HD channels, so you get pictures as good as the source is, unlike Dish or DirecTV. About 30 HD channels, looks great. I switched from DirecTV about 2 years ago when the cable was extended to my house (farm), did not like the low resolution of HD-Lite from DirecTV. The HD video on demand is also very good, about 40 movies on PPV and about 10 free with another 30 or so available from the premium providers like Starz, HBO,Showtime if you subscribe to them. Also numerous network shows and music in HD from VOD.

If the flickering is on sharp detail I think some of it is the SSE stuff, make sure you do not have edge enhancement turned on or sharpness above 0 as this will make the effect more noticable. I noticed some on mine but after about 6 months of use, I don't notice it much at all anymore.

Mike T

The SSE is annoying for sure. I stopped in Best Buy yesterday just to let them know what was going on with the TV and what their thoughts were about DirecTV saying that the picture on pretty much any TV that's not Magnolia-quality won't be crisp. I had to point out to the Best Buy guy the SSE in the store on the Samsung TVs...he'd never noticed that before. Made me kind of nervous that was the guy telling people about which TVs are the best because it was very obvious, haha. Thank you also for your Comcast feedback, that was helpful.

Are these TVs pretty consistant with the SSE and flickering problems? It's weird that it only happens in certain scenes and camera angles...
8chman's Avatar 8chman 01:56 PM 01-29-2008
Thanks Avio!

Can we see from users here what the latest firmware is on these TVs?

I've heard of the 1026 versions and 1008 and 1009 versions on different sets; i.e. SAX, SX, AX, etc.

Can we get a showing of your model xx87 or xx89 with the suffix; SAX, or AX, or whatever you have with your current firmware. This way we can establish what versions are most current for each model.

Mine is a 6187SAX with 1008
rs600cubed's Avatar rs600cubed 02:32 PM 01-29-2008
Quick question. I found an opened box hlt5687s at a local store for $1399. Being that there is no bulb to replace, does this seem like a decent deal and is there anything I should look for before buying? I had a hls5087 and sold it and have missed it ever since. They also have a Sony 60a3000 for 100 more, but Im not thrilled with the 50e3000 I currently have (thus I found the 56). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Using the set mostly for HD sports through cable box and xbox 360 and ps3 through HDMI. I was leaning to the Samsung because I cant stand overscan so the "just scan" option seems great.
room112's Avatar room112 02:49 PM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs600cubed View Post

Quick question. I found an opened box hlt5687s at a local store for $1399. Being that there is no bulb to replace, does this seem like a decent deal and is there anything I should look for before buying? I had a hls5087 and sold it and have missed it ever since. They also have a Sony 60a3000 for 100 more, but Im not thrilled with the 50e3000 I currently have (thus I found the 56). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Using the set mostly for HD sports through cable box and xbox 360 and ps3 through HDMI. I was leaning to the Samsung because I cant stand overscan so the "just scan" option seems great.

Sounds like a good deal, but have them turn it on in-store.

Even better, grab a thumb drive and put the test images on it and test it in-store. If the PQ checks out (geometry ok, no Halo, etc) grab it!

Listen for buzzing (not humming) on the back, as well. That indicates a problem (which can be fixed).
Lord Vader's Avatar Lord Vader 02:59 PM 01-29-2008
Quote:

I switched from DirecTV about 2 years ago when the cable was extended to my house (farm), did not like the low resolution of HD-Lite from DirecTV.

And that is the key: two years ago DirecTV had very few HD channels in the first place--about 9. so your allusion to their quality is rather misleading. Now they've got 90, and while many are dependent on the source transmission, many are of outstanding PQ, especially the MPEG-4 HD transmissions.
hd#1's Avatar hd#1 03:07 PM 01-29-2008
I have Directv as well and I agree the old HD channels look bad, but the newer ones look like your watching out of a window. Word is that the Directv is going to change the old MPEG 2 or HD Lite channels to MPEG 4 soon. I have HLT5087SAX model.
wdreamsmaycome's Avatar wdreamsmaycome 03:43 PM 01-29-2008
just another quick update on my 'horizontal line/smudge', tech was here yet again to exchange the lens assembly with one from samsung and of course it didn't fix the issue. Already 3 different techs looked at my tv and all said the light engine needs to be replaced, but samsung canada is dragging its feet. I am really disappointed by things right now, if the techs as you for something, you should give it to them instead of continuing to send them out to swap parts that don't fix the issue, grrr...... I also emailed samsung canada through their website directly and of course nobody replied to me.

This is getting quite frustrating! I am tempted to ask for a tv replacement at this point but given how much they are resisting changing the light engine I don't think it'd be approved anyways.
MUswimKT's Avatar MUswimKT 05:14 PM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd#1 View Post

I have Directv as well and I agree the old HD channels look bad, but the newer ones look like your watching out of a window. Word is that the Directv is going to change the old MPEG 2 or HD Lite channels to MPEG 4 soon. I have HLT5087SAX model.

Well after reading that and knowing that what I was seeinig on HD looked basically like SD I'm a little nervous having cancelled for Comcast. I plan to switching back to U-Verse once that is released in Atlanta.

I was talking to the Best Buy guys today and they were trying to talk me into a Panasonic 50" Plasma TV for $500 more. I'd really like it if my 5687 actually worked...looks like 30-day return/exchange for me. Also, the Best Buy guy said that Samsungs have quite a few returns on them for things breaking. Anyone think I should switch to the Panasonic...or just swap this set out for the same model and hope I get a "good one" finally?
JustinHEMI05's Avatar JustinHEMI05 05:22 PM 01-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM99 View Post

Justin,
I have a 6187s and sit about 8 feet away. Its perfect. I love it at that distance.

Thanks man! I was about to pull the trigger on that anyway since I didn't see any replies.

Justin
JustinHEMI05's Avatar JustinHEMI05 05:24 PM 01-29-2008
Quote:

The charts are correct for seeing all the detail, and the THX suggested distance is similar. I set about 8 feet from my 6187 and it looks amazing. I use HD-DVD player, D-VHS, Comcast cable HD, big dish satellite HD and HTPC with 1:1 pixel mapping for 1080 video files, all look great at 8 feet from my 6187 DLP.

Mike T

Thanks mate. Just wanted to make sure! I appreciate the input.

Justin
Tags: Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
First ... 333  334  335 336  337  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop