Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

Justin...

56 or 61?

At those sizes it seems to me if you have room for the 61 I'd advise you to get it. In terms of your viewing distance 5 inches is not going to matter that much. In other words if 56 isn't too big, 61 isn't going to be either. I am at about same distances and had a 57 inch MIT. Went to the 61 inch Samsung. While I would not want it to be any bigger than 61 inches, the TV is fine and not too big. PQ is amazing.

Thanks a lot! Just what I was looking for.

61 it is with three positive reports

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10052 of 14887 Old 01-29-2008, 04:29 PM

I joined the Class acting lawsuit on the Toshiba DLP lamp problem. I notified the lawyers that the main board burned out at 2&1/2 years. They're going to do a story on it.
Anyway, i got my new Samsung DLP with the LED bulb. Low and behold, there is a blue halo on the screen. It has taken 3 months but the factory finally found a service center, after 2 attempts at getting someone out to figure this out. The third company is the one that used to work on my Toshiba!
Anyway, there is a recall on the set (61", 1080p). Seems that they used a shiny, chrome bracket for the bulb. It sprays blue light all over the bottom half of the screen. Well, they picked up the set this morning to install the new bracket. Other than that.....
post #10053 of 14887 Old 01-29-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonry10 View Post

I joined the Class acting lawsuit on the Toshiba DLP lamp problem. I notified the lawyers that the main board burned out at 2&1/2 years. They're going to do a story on it.
Anyway, i got my new Samsung DLP with the LED bulb. Low and behold, there is a blue halo on the screen. It has taken 3 months but the factory finally found a service center, after 2 attempts at getting someone out to figure this out. The third company is the one that used to work on my Toshiba!
Anyway, there is a recall on the set (61", 1080p). Seems that they used a shiny, chrome bracket for the bulb. It sprays blue light all over the bottom half of the screen. Well, they picked up the set this morning to install the new bracket. Other than that.....

They have a tech note on what to do if your display has a halo, but there is no recall in effect.

Oppo Beta Group
post #10054 of 14887 Old 01-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUswimKT View Post

*Bump*

Also, even with Blue-Ray now I'm noticing some flickering on the darker scenes and with certain camera angles...I'm assuming this is the TV. Can I fix this myself or should I do a return/exchange for a new one?

Really wish the delivery guys were more competent so I didn't have to drag this one back in... After seeing them ramp over speed bumps and swap out my TV for a smaller broken one at first thinking I wouldn't catch them, there's no way in he** I'm trusting them.

I am having the same issues with flickering on blu-rays. See this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post12933719. I have tried switching cables and every setting adjustment possible with no resolve.
post #10055 of 14887 Old 01-29-2008, 06:40 PM

I just had a Samsung Tech over to fix the buzzing from the rear left of the TV.

NO LUCK.

He replaced the power supply board and the LED Light Engine(The very part quoted in this post). He first changed just the power supply board, no change or difference in the buzz.

Then he swapped out the "LED Driver" (part #13P96-01803A) and still no fix. I still have the same buzzing sound.

The tech did not know what else to do. So at this point I still have a buzz.

If anyone has any luck with getting this buzzing fixed. Please update.
post #10056 of 14887 Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozer View Post

NO LUCK.

He replaced the power supply board and the LED Light Engine(The very part quoted in this post). He first changed just the power supply board, no change or difference in the buzz.

Then he swapped out the "LED Driver" (part #13P96-01803A) and still no fix. I still have the same buzzing sound.

I have had 3 different TV's and they all had the buzz. I hope it can be fixed, but it seems like it might be pretty hard to fix if all 3 of mine made the same buzzing noise.
post #10057 of 14887 Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozer View Post

NO LUCK.

same issue here, they changed the power supply but it made no difference. I'm afraid to have the light engine changed because the one I have is perfect and the buzzing is deffinantly coming from the power supply so it would be pointless.
At this point I think samsung just needs to revise their power supply design or use higher quality parts maybe. It's not something I can hear from the front of the tv even with the volume muted so it doesn't interrupt my enjoyment of the set but I am just afraid it is a failing cap or coil that will crap out on me right after my warranty expires.

Since the repair guy seemed confident it was nothing to worry about I will take my chances.
post #10058 of 14887 Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 PM

Have any of you guys looked at the power coming into your set? Volts, hertz?

HLT6187 SAX, firmware 1008
post #10059 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 AM

So I've had this set for a week or so and I was going to comment on some popping I was hearing. When I first heard it I assumed it was the case expanding. But when I would listen closely to it, it didn't sound normal. It really sounded like an electrical arc, or relay switching, and it seemed to be coming from the front left of the TV. I was starting to get concerned, I really didn't want anything to be wrong with the set, as everything else seems to be great.

So last night I went to see if I could pinpoint the location of where the sound was coming from. I touched the bottom of the frame, and pop there it is. I could run my fingers across the bottom and the popping would move along with me. My theory is that because the case is made of such a light plastic, it makes a higher pitched sound than I was expecting. My old CRT would expand the plastic but it was a much deeper sound.

Now it may be an issue with the adhesive in that part of the frame, but at least its not some electrical component failing. As long as it doesn't affect the picture I can deal with it popping every now and again.

On a side note, I had my laptop connected to it last night over VGA, and everything looked perfect.

I really like this TV more and more each day. I might need to take a sick day so I can spend some quality time without the wife nagging about the house shaking.
post #10060 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 08:08 AM

I've been lurking on this thread for months, reading as much info as I could before making a purchasing decision. Last night, I finally decided to pull the trigger and ordered a HLT5087SAX from big river. I got a fantastic deal (TV was listed in my "gold box" which takes an additional 5% off their already low price), free shipping, free upconverting philips DVD player and 18 months of interest free payments. I've assisted several family members in purchasing Samsung DLP sets over the past few years and ALL have been extremely happy with their sets. Now I'm happy to say its my turn to experience that!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread! The information contained here is miles beyond anything else I've come across and has assured me I made the right decision. looking forwards to being an official owner of what is arguably the best set for the money today.
post #10061 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post

Ok, after some time debating, I pulled the trigger today. I was completely set on going with the 56" version of the 87 series, until today. I found a site that currently is selling the 89 series 56" for basically the same price of the 87. I know direct links are frowned upon here, and it's probably best off that I get a shipment confirmation and delivery before I post the site, but I'm pretty excited. The site is listed with the BBB (no complaints), and is an authorized Samsung reseller, so I hope it's legit. I called them and confirmed everything before ordering, and they did confirm the price.

I'll post more info as it develops. Right now, I just have a purchase confirmation email.

Matt

FYI, I received a shipping confirmation and tracking number today. It's being flown in. Once it's at the local terminal, they'll call me to setup up a delivery time. So far, so good.

Again, this is the HLT5689S. The price is basically MSRP - 10% - $400. Basically the 89 for the 87 price. PM for the company link if you want. I'll keep updating as things move along..

Matt

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #10062 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonry10 View Post

Picked it up? The service tech should be able to swap out the bracket in 10-15 minutes in your home. There is no need for them to take it to the service shop.
post #10063 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 AM

This is to confirm I did the firmware update last night firmware is now 1026 and now 24fps is playing without judder. Very happy person now
post #10064 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathgeek97 View Post

Samsung has an official service bulletin for the halo problem. Call Samsung, they'll send somebody out for a quick switch of the shiny silver bracket for a black anodized bracket.

Thanks, I'll give them a call to schedule the switch out.

Samsung HL-T6187S
Yamaha RX-V863
LG BH200 Super Blu Player
post #10065 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM99 View Post

So I've had this set for a week or so and I was going to comment on some popping I was hearing. When I first heard it I assumed it was the case expanding. But when I would listen closely to it, it didn't sound normal. It really sounded like an electrical arc, or relay switching, and it seemed to be coming from the front left of the TV. I was starting to get concerned, I really didn't want anything to be wrong with the set, as everything else seems to be great.

So last night I went to see if I could pinpoint the location of where the sound was coming from. I touched the bottom of the frame, and pop there it is. I could run my fingers across the bottom and the popping would move along with me. My theory is that because the case is made of such a light plastic, it makes a higher pitched sound than I was expecting. My old CRT would expand the plastic but it was a much deeper sound.

Now it may be an issue with the adhesive in that part of the frame, but at least its not some electrical component failing. As long as it doesn't affect the picture I can deal with it popping every now and again.

On a side note, I had my laptop connected to it last night over VGA, and everything looked perfect.

I really like this TV more and more each day. I might need to take a sick day so I can spend some quality time without the wife nagging about the house shaking.

Try this. There are screws through from the back that hold the front bezel on, 14 or so, located around the perimeter of the set. Take a screwdriver and just loosen them up around 1/4 or 1/3 a turn and see if that helps. It did with mine. It actually lists this under the noise section in the service manual. Very technical process that screw loosening. Samsung had to have someone from MIT come up with this one. On a serious note on my 61 the flimsy case is bowing down at the corners. You can see the delection in the shiny front wide lower section if you look at it right. The top edge of the lower bezel has a distinct bow. I checked it with a 6' metal stud and it is a solid 1/4". I looked at 2 other sets at CC and 1 at BB and they have it also. Funny thing is when checked with the straightedge the thin bezel at the top is perfectly straight, almost like this is by design.
post #10066 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It would be helpful to me if folks would identify which model RPTV they are talking about. Like for the firmware postings, the firmware's are very different based on model number.

Thanks.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #10067 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:

It would be helpful to me if folks would identify which model RPTV they are talking about. Like for the firmware postings, the firmware's are very different based on model number.

Thanks.

The Model I have HLT5087SAX
post #10068 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Col_klink...

"The top edge of the lower bezel has a distinct bow."

How is it across the bottom of the screen edge though, before you get to the black plastic? I've noticed what seems to be droopy corners across the bottom as well. But the screen bottom edge is level and square. Its like a design thing. I thought I was nuts at first cause the top of the screen is right on. The bottom edges seem to droop at the corners.

If this is what I think y'all are talking about... the tv looks like it's frowning kinda across the bottom bezel?... I posted about this a loooong time ago. I noticed this in the stores- every 61 inch I saw did it, most 56 inchers did it but to a lesser degree and didn't really notice it w/ 50 inch models. I even got a sales guy at a Fry's to bring a tape measure over and verify by measuring distance from tv bezel down to the stand, comparing the edges to the middle.

Anyway, at the time quite a few people had varying degrees of bowing geometry problems and it seemed to be skewed towards the 56 and 61 inch sets. I speculated that maybe it was directly related to this frowning bezel phenomenon with the thin bezel not able hold up as well at greater widths. No one ever responded, IIRC. Still curious to hear peoples thoughts on this, or if we're even talking about the same thing.

I still haven't bought a set. I finally decided I'd wait for tax return and reassess situation- see if the '08 sammy blows me out of water, or maybe find a great deal on last of the 87 series or even the a3000's.
post #10069 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Um...lets not hack our firmwares on a DLP.

Is it really sought after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post

What could possibly go wrong? . . . No TV, No Warranty, and very POed wife!

Hey JR, I figured you of all people would be interested in hacking into those sound drivers?

Maybe it could be an "easy" resolution to our problem
post #10070 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinka View Post

On my set (HLT6176), the IR sensor in on the light engine which means it gets it's signal through the screen! Maybe yours is too, easy enough to check.

I didn't see a response to this post yet...

My 5689S manual shows an illustration of lights and buttons of the "Control Panel" on the lower front and lower right side. The "Remote Control Sensor" is in the center Power button.

Avio
post #10071 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 PM

Alright guys, I've got a dilemma on my hands. Basically, I've got a guy that I think is willing to buy my 50" hls5087w. Using that money plus about 200 bucks, I can get a hlt5087s, the LED one. So my question is, is it worth the "upgrade" to the LED version? Any problems inherent with it that maybe my older sammy doesn't have??? PS. I love, LOVE, my sammy DLP!!!

If birth control is 99% effective, then my wife and I are the other 1%.

PSN: Hotmoosettu
post #10072 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmoosettu View Post

Alright guys, I've got a dilemma on my hands. Basically, I've got a guy that I think is willing to buy my 50" hls5087w. Using that money plus about 200 bucks, I can get a hlt5087s, the LED one. So my question is, is it worth the "upgrade" to the LED version? Any problems inherent with it that maybe my older sammy doesn't have??? PS. I love, LOVE, my sammy DLP!!!

Thats not much of a dilemma, yes go for the HL-T5087s. Less RBE, no fans noise, and a back light that lasts life of display.

Oppo Beta Group
post #10073 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd say go for it. Sounds like a good deal. You will definitely like the upgrade.

Are there problems with this set? Yes, a few, but nothing real big. The prism halo issue is fixable if you have the problem. What would happen to the warranty... is it transferable?

Avio
post #10074 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

I'd say go for it. Sounds like a good deal. You will definitely like the upgrade.

Are there problems with this set? Yes, a few, but nothing real big. The prism halo issue is fixable if you have the problem. What would happen to the warranty... is it transferable?

Avio

The warranty I have now? Or the one that would come with the LED tv? The LED one would come with a 1 year warranty from Samsung.

post #10075 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:

ranger...

"tv looks like it's frowning kinda across the bottom bezel?..."

Yes. But the pq and geometry on mine are perfect. Well as perfect as you can expect. It is a RPTV. If I were to take a perfect grid and lay it on top of the TV its probably off somewhere by some degree here or there. However it looks perfect when viewing. Things that are displayed that are square, they are square, 4:3 not bowed in or out, no hour glass looks, etc. It looks great in other words.

But the very bottom is frowning just a tad. That is a good way to describe it. While the top is straight as it can be.

Yeah that's what I was talking about. Probably the reason no one replied back then is that most people who mentioned geometry didn't have a real concern when viewing (maybe something like 1/8th inch off with a test grid).

I was just offering a hint that might let someone figure out a solution, even if their problem was within spec (1/4" or less, I think). My thinking was that if the larger sets were frowning, then it was possible that the bottom bezel was pushing/pinching the screen. I figure that this could be culprit for some, even if it seems unrelated to a slight geometry issue near the top of screen. After all the bottom is still connected to the top! And we all know pushing the screen with your hand on any rptv causes crazy stuff. It was just a guess b/c almost zero complained about geometry on the 50" model, and those correspondingly never seem to "frown".

This set as a whole doesn't seem to have geometry "issues". I know some RPTV models had real problems and there are always bad apples, but seeing as how CRT's also have inherent geometry issues I don't get why so many complain. I guess seeing any geometry imperfection is a shock to many people because their old CRT wasn't 61 inches across. Also many now connect htpc's and laptops, which makes it more apparent that these things are not lcd flat panels... which should be obvious since their black levels are too good and they have no motion blur
post #10076 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:

If you are waiting and are still thinking price point/value at the RPTV product line, I would wait for the 2008's. From the looks of them from CES, I just missed the CES show at Vegas was there the week after and saw the Monte Carlo burn, the 2008 Samsungs are just a bit better and the LED technology is matured just a bit more.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. I was set to buy Nov/early Dec and it hit me, football season is mostly over anyway. Might as well wait for tax return money/more options. Unfortunately, I haven't seen price on 87s or the a3000's go back to as low as they were in early december (or get the free upconverting dvd recorder like Vann's had forever). But I'm not worried. Figure when I get my tax check, the new models will be here. And likely some deals on the 87s or the 89s. Also looks like Sony is still producing a3000's currently, even though they discontinued rptv line (someone got a build date of Jan '08).

I am interested in '08 LED model. Since you saw it- could you tell if it looked better off angle than '07 (closer to the bulb models)? If the brightness increase comes with a lower gain screen and noticeably better off angle, I may be in. Otherwise, I like pq pretty good as is.

My other concern is they aren't making 56" LED's anymore. I was looking at 50-56" size for my space, 61" may be too big. This ties into price as well. I figure a 5687s will be down near $1400, 5087s around $1200, when they start clearing them out about the time I get my check. The new 61" will probably start around $2500 I'd guess. That's a big premium considering I don't really want/need that much screen in the first place.
post #10077 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 06:18 PM

What about off angle viewing with the 5087s? i'd heard it wasn't up to par with bulbs which isn't that great anyways.

post #10078 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:

What about off angle viewing with the 5087s? i'd heard it wasn't up to par with bulbs which isn't that great anyways.

Off-angle is fine on my 5689S. You can sit way off at an angle and still have a good picture.

Height, on the other hand, like most RPTV's, makes a pretty big difference.
post #10079 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

It's pretty much standard for rptv. If you're going to be watching your tv from very extreme angles and want the picture to still look as good as it does head on then you should get a plasma, otherwise the difference between one rptv and another is not enough to worry about.
post #10080 of 14887 Old 01-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger2131 View Post

Hey JR, I figured you of all people would be interested in hacking into those sound drivers?

Maybe it could be an "easy" resolution to our problem

Well Ranger, what you suggest is without doubt a violation of the DMCA federal law. Under the terms of that law, the first offense is $500,000 and the second $1,000,000. I will pass. The DMCA makes interesting reading and is available on the Internet. Remember that under federal law -- ignorance is no excuse.

I have not given up the fight but have moved it to different battlefields. You can find posts from me on "AVS Forum > Audio Area > Audio theory, Setup and Chat" in thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=985108. The title is "Why is HDMI audio input to Digital Audio Output blocked when allowed by HDCP license?" and to "AVS Forum > Industry Area > HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World" thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post12949452. Also, I sent the question and information to Home Theater Magazine - Reader Q & A http://www.hometheatermag.com/readerqalp/ and will let you know if they print and post it.

Jim
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page