2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 338 - AVS Forum
First ... 336  337  338 339  340  ... Last
Rear Projection Units > 2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S)
ALTSean's Avatar ALTSean 10:09 PM 01-31-2008
I just got my HLT5087SAX from Amazon last Friday and so far so good. Picture looks great and color looks great straight out of the box. I'm using a Comcast HD box and HDMI cables. I also have an upconvert DVD player with a HDMI hook up and that looks great too. Still need to play with the test images, but am almost afraid too as everything looks good now.

My question is, I notice sometimes when watching an HD channel and I hit "info" I only get 720 and not 1080i all the time. I noticed it tonight during "Lost" on ABC HD. Is that normal? Do some HD broadcasts only come in at 720 and not 1080 and others come in at 1080i?

Thanks!

donreyno's Avatar donreyno 10:27 PM 01-31-2008
how do you get 1026 firmware to load? i downloaded from the tech links onto a usb flash drive and unzipped the file then installed it in wiselink and went to setup and entered SW upgrade. the tv says scanning for USB..... but then it says none found. i also tried without unzipping the file first with same result.What am i doing wrong? has anyone else had success with the links that RASHID 11 posted (by the way ...thanks for posting them rashid) thanks for any input i am trying to get 24 fps from ps3 which when i forced it into the sammy it jutters horribly.i have hl t6187s with firmware1012.
donreyno's Avatar donreyno 10:37 PM 01-31-2008
does anybody know what issues you need to state to samsung to get the firmware upgrade ...they wouldnt send it to me unless there was a specific issue that the firmware revision addresses and also told me that before they will send it they review the customers previous conversations to ensure they are not "fishing" when i asked for a technician they hung up on me..
ranger2131's Avatar ranger2131 10:51 PM 01-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyman View Post

You are correct. I had 2 Samsung's with the Halo before the fix was found. I switched to the Sony but decided that I would rather see the halo than hear the fan in the Sony. One of the reasons I liked the Samsung LED was because it was suppose to be quiet. And accept for the buzzing it is quiet. I can barely hear the buzzing, but on the Sony I could hear the fan all of the time. The fan was probably at least 4 times louder than the buzzing in the Samsung. I had them change the fan with no change and decided I might as well go back to what I wanted in the first place. The only problem is that with my new Samsung the picture quality isn't near what the first 2 Samsungs were. Very grainy picture in some scenes and terrible SSE. Not really sure if it is SSE though since I thought SSE showed up mostly on white scenes and it just made it sparkle. I have very little on white scenes. It is mostly in dark scenes. I think it is more like the Screen door Effect. When action on the TV is moving, it seems like it is moving behind a screen door. I really wish I had the first one back (even with the Halo). Also when people are wearing dark suits it looks terrible. I think I am going to post some pictures if I can figure out how to do it. I tried posting pictures before but couldn't get them uploaded.

I thought I remembered you and wopino having the most trouble. Sorry to hear that about your new one.

I thought SSE and SDE were just different names for the same thing? Either way it sounds like that is what it is. But yeah, in stores I do notice it more on bright screen shots (like snow)... looks kinda gritty/sandy to me when I see it. I wonder if your new one has a less bright light engine- isn't that one of the causes? Or maybe a slight variation when the screen was machined? Wonder if getting the screen replaced would help? Hope you get it fixed.

If you want, go to BB and watch a Panasonic LIFI up close for a while. They have more pronounced SSE, maybe it would help you at least know for sure that's what your problem is.
thane11's Avatar thane11 12:24 AM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTSean View Post

My question is, I notice sometimes when watching an HD channel and I hit "info" I only get 720 and not 1080i all the time. I noticed it tonight during "Lost" on ABC HD. Is that normal? Do some HD broadcasts only come in at 720 and not 1080 and others come in at 1080i?

Thanks!

That's normal. Some Networks use 720P resolution (ABC, ESPN). Most use 1080i. Both are HD and should work fine on your TV.
ALTSean's Avatar ALTSean 04:11 AM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thane11 View Post

That's normal. Some Networks use 720P resolution (ABC, ESPN). Most use 1080i. Both are HD and should work fine on your TV.

Thanks for the info and glad to hear it's normal! I'm still an HD newbie, but I'm happy so far with this Samsung.
av8orjb's Avatar av8orjb 06:52 AM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd#1 View Post

This is to confirm I did the firmware update last night firmware is now 1026 and now 24fps is playing without judder. Very happy person now

You also stated that you have the HLT5087SAX Model.. Are you saying that you flashed yor HLT 5087SAX with 1026 firmware.. Interesting..

I didn't think the 1026 was for the xx87SAX model but only xx87s Model. I also thought that the xx87 SAX took the 1008 version firmware.
Redbird's Avatar Redbird 07:26 AM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by donreyno View Post

does anybody know what issues you need to state to samsung to get the firmware upgrade ...they wouldnt send it to me unless there was a specific issue that the firmware revision addresses and also told me that before they will send it they review the customers previous conversations to ensure they are not "fishing" when i asked for a technician they hung up on me..

When I called to set up my Halo Problem repair I asked about the status of the latest firmware and got a similar story. I was told Samsung will only make updated firmware available if you call with a specific problem that would be fixed by a firmware update. I find that to be strange.
room112's Avatar room112 07:53 AM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird View Post

When I called to set up my Halo Problem repair I asked about the status of the latest firmware and got a similar story. I was told Samsung will only make updated firmware available if you call with a specific problem that would be fixed by a firmware update. I find that to be strange.

Not really strange.

a) As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. True of many electronic devices.

b) While small, it does cost samsung money to put a new firmware on a flash drive and ship it out to you. Why do that, if there isn't a specific problem?
nr35's Avatar nr35 09:30 AM 02-01-2008
Image Cropped!

Images are cropped about 1/16 horizontally and about 1/9 vertically.

On my HLT6187S I can see complete (1920x1080) dots are not visible on screen. I tested this with the test images posted in this forum for alignment check and found images are cropped. TV also reports images as 1920x1080 when showing file names from USB drive.

Multi Purpose Test Image 1:

http://psleng.dyndns.org/files/tv_test/grid.jpg

If you are connecting computer to your TV then you can resize picture geometry from computer's video card to match visual area by doing so you are displaying 1920x1080 dots in lesser amount of dots on screen distorting your original (1920x1080) image.

If you are using LCD or plasma TV then you don't have this issue.

Has any one tested the TV this way? What are the results?

I shown this issue to technician who was in to fix halo, he told me that this cropping can't be fixed.

Any comments?
luebke's Avatar luebke 09:46 AM 02-01-2008
Hi, does anybody know the details of the model numbers? I'm considering an open-box purchase of the 6189SX/XAA vs 6189X/XAA. Was curious what the difference was. Thanks!

Dave
kartographer's Avatar kartographer 10:15 AM 02-01-2008
I was telling someone about my having ordered a Samsung with the LED Engine and they asked me about the the difference between it Panasonic's LIFI and Samsung's LED Engine? I have no clue has anyone compared the two?
hd#1's Avatar hd#1 10:50 AM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8orjb View Post

You also stated that you have the HLT5087SAX Model.. Are you saying that you flashed yor HLT 5087SAX with 1026 firmware.. Interesting..

I didn't think the 1026 was for the xx87SAX model but only xx87s Model. I also thought that the xx87 SAX took the 1008 version firmware.

I put in the drive in the wiselink and it said download firmware 1018 to 1026. And now the 24 Hz is working withou juddering and yes its a SAX model
donreyno's Avatar donreyno 10:52 AM 02-01-2008
can anybody give detailed instruction on how to use the 1026 firmware flash for 6187s from the tech links download my tv could not find the usb flash....also what specific issue does 1025 and 1026 fix ...thanks
wdreamsmaycome's Avatar wdreamsmaycome 11:47 AM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr35 View Post

I shown this issue to technician who was in to fix halo, he told me that this cropping can't be fixed.

when my tech was moving the light engine around after fixing the halo it became obvious that there is a little bit of overscan going on in our set (meaning that the projected image is a little 'bigger' than the screen), I really don't think there is a way to fix that, since you'd need to be able to push the light engine in further to get more of the image on the screen, but you can't because it locks in at a certain distance.
ranger2131's Avatar ranger2131 12:41 PM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartographer View Post

I was telling someone about my having ordered a Samsung with the LED Engine and they asked me about the the difference between it Panasonic's LIFI and Samsung's LED Engine? I have no clue has anyone compared the two?

They are very different. Panasonic is LCD tech not DLP, LCD is generally considered the worst PQ out of three rptv techs (DLP, LCoS, LCD). Most people agree the pq is better on LED vs LIFI, even most who buy it. LIFI has poor contrast ratio and it shows- bright whites are pretty hard to get with it and when you try, blacks suffer a lot. It also has more uniformity issues than the LED (a white test pattern with it may have reddish casts in some places with lots of blue-gray elsewhere). Also it seems they all have light shadowy bands across the screen due to design, visible in very bright scenes. See CNET review and read through their owners forum. A major proponent of the set discovered the bands on his after a few weeks and took it back. Many have reported them. The difference is LIFI can be had much cheaper due to not selling well. I will also say it's build quality seems sturdier than the Sammy. I think it is discontinued though.

Yes many compared the two, because it's currently the only other rptv to offer a long life bulb solution. Sammy uses led's, LIFI uses radio frequency technology. Think of like this- instead of heating the gases inside a normal bulb with electrodes, take the wire electrodes out and have a "empty" bulb with gases inside it- then stick it in microwave to heat the gas inside and get it to glow. The idea here is wire electrodes degrade with heat and they are what breaks on normal bulbs. It should last a very long time, maybe longer than LED's, maybe same, no one really knows yet. Panasonic offers a 5 yr warranty on the bulb, only company ever to do that. The thing that trips some people up (like me) is the 5 yr warranty is original bulb only- they will replace it only once inside 5 yrs. And I believe they still charge labor if it's after the first year. The LIFI bulb currently costs around $700.

Granted the LED engine costs more and isn't warrantied past the first year! But then, I have experience with LED's lasting a long time (car dummy lights, etc). No one knows with LIFI yet. Also, some extended warranties cover the LED as part of tv (as they should) so you don't have to buy a bulb warranty. Not sure about LIFI. The LED is more energy efficient. And I suppose LIFI could interfere with phones, wifi, etc. being an RF device- though I doubt it's likely.

All in all, I "think" the LIFI would last a long time and is probably a good deal for you if you like it- it's very cheap right now. For me, the pq on the Sam is worth the price difference, considering I think the 5 yr warranty is a little bogus. Price on a 61 inch LIFI right now is hard to pass though.
kartographer's Avatar kartographer 01:05 PM 02-01-2008
THANKS! Ranger I appreciate your explaining this to me very much. The just of my conversation was my 'friend' thought that the LiFi was a better buy, but now I know better and can explain why. Seems to me trying to compare the two though is a bit like trying to compare apples and oranges. You did help me feel a lot surer about my ordering the Samsung. The Lifi sounds to me like a mircowave powered florescent bulb so I would say that LED has a plus as being proven technology.

Now I just have to wait for my new 'Sammy' and make it through the set up process.

Thanks Again!
mpeg3s's Avatar mpeg3s 02:04 PM 02-01-2008
I have the firmware, but didn't attempt to install. I will wait until the next 2007 model comes when all old firmwares should be final then.

Is there a difference between the SAX and the 1026 firmware?

Any time you reset the firmware you reset all factory color settings. I think it is BEST to copy all sevice menu settings before the firmware update. No one has confirmed that if you input the SAME color service menu settings in the what results you will achieve between the firmware updates.

Quote:

can anybody give detailed instruction on how to use the 1026 firmware flash for 6187s from the tech links download my tv could not find the usb flash....also what specific issue does 1025 and 1026 fix ...thanks

Avio's Avatar Avio 03:11 PM 02-01-2008
Quote:

can anybody give detailed instruction on how to use the 1026 firmware flash for 6187s from the tech links download my tv could not find the usb flash....

My post, linked below, gives instructions:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post12939102

Avio
mike105105's Avatar mike105105 03:57 PM 02-01-2008
If the bulb in the LIFI is the sulfur type then here is all the info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_lamp

Operates in the 2.4ghz range and can interfere with wifi and other stuff on that range. Also:
Quote:
The design life of the bulb is approximately 60,000 hours. However, the design life of magnetrons is currently only about 15,000 to 20,000 hours.

Mike
MUswimKT's Avatar MUswimKT 05:44 PM 02-01-2008
Best Buy is going to do a return/exchange on my Samsung 56" DLP LED 87 model for the 61"...is this going to degrade my PQ? What's the feedback for people who have this set?
JohnAV's Avatar JohnAV 06:04 PM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUswimKT View Post

Best Buy is going to do a return/exchange on my Samsung 56" DLP LED 87 model for the 61"...is this going to degrade my PQ? What's the feedback for people who have this set?

No change on PQ. The brightness will be slightly less then a 56", but most prefer the larger size.
MUswimKT's Avatar MUswimKT 06:07 PM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

No change on PQ. The brightness will be slightly less then a 56", but most prefer the larger size.

Is the decrease in brightness very noticable? I'm a little nervous about the larger TV as I'm only sitting 8' back with no more room to go further.

Anything else I should be aware of when switching to this model? What is the difference between the 87 and the 89...firmware only?
Avio's Avatar Avio 06:28 PM 02-01-2008
Quote:

... Anything else I should be aware of when switching to this model? What is the difference between the 87 and the 89...firmware only?

I own the 5689. For differences, see the first page, first post, of this thread.

It's not firmware only, there are additional hardware features.

Avio
tecum's Avatar tecum 06:54 PM 02-01-2008
HL-T6187S for $1599 at Fry's. I've had the tv for a couple months now and love it. Got mine at Best Buy but price matched to Fry's.
Livin's Avatar Livin 08:54 PM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecum View Post

HL-T6187S for $1599 at Fry's. I've had the tv for a couple months now and love it. Got mine at Best Buy but price matched to Fry's.

WOW... that is cheap! I've never seen them that low.
kartographer's Avatar kartographer 09:00 PM 02-01-2008
My HLT5687SAX is schedule to be deliveried of 2/12, I also have a Philips DVP5982 1080p Upscaling DVD Player on its way. Other than a surge protector what should I go ahead and get now so I will be ready to set this thing up? BTW I have Comcast Cable.
ranger2131's Avatar ranger2131 11:56 PM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike105105 View Post

If the bulb in the LIFI is the sulfur type then here is all the info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_lamp

Operates in the 2.4ghz range and can interfere with wifi and other stuff on that range. Also:

Mike

Mike,

It's all enclosed into a solid metal box together, so I think not too likely to interfere with other stuff. I don't wanna be a guinea pig though. And as for the magnetron thing- that's one of my issues... it relies on other parts to work. The LED is just an LED. Granted it's a super bright, likely very HOT LED. And there are three of them... but still, I have hope. And yeah, I've seen well built microwaves last 20 yrs (like my grandmas), but then the magnetron in there may go days without use- nothing like a tv.

Here are some links, if anyone is interested more specifically. The LUXIM company one has many pdf files, one with a simple schematic on how it works.

http://www.audioholics.com/education...hnology-primer

http://www.lifi.com/dynamic/display.php/36
JohnAV's Avatar JohnAV 02:14 AM 02-02-2008
Quote:

Is the decrease in brightness very noticable? I'm a little nervous about the larger TV as I'm only sitting 8' back with no more room to go further.

Anything else I should be aware of when switching to this model? What is the difference between the 87 and the 89...firmware only?

Very little difference in brightness going from 56" to 61". As long as you are pretty much sitting right in front of the display 8 feet back is ok, as you will note several other people have said they were OK with the 6187s placed 8 feet away.

The xx89s series offers HDMI 1.3a, bluetooth, PIP, xyVCC, and a all black frame design, no silver area by speakers compared to xx87s series.
ecopp062's Avatar ecopp062 05:28 AM 02-02-2008
I am new to this site and I am wondering if anyone can tell me were on the web I can find the firmware updat for my 6187s thank you
Tags: Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
First ... 336  337  338 339  340  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop