Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckeyBoss View Post

Ive got it in standard mode, 16:9 format. My DVR Receiver and DVD player are hooked up HDMI. I have my receiver running thru my DVD player so I can have my surround sound speakers on my tv channels too, not just during a DVD.

But like I said, I switched nothing so I dont know why the HD channels look that way. They never looked like that before. Its like Im in 4:3 mode almost.

I am not having much luck to begin with so far with this darn thing. Im starting to second guess my decision on this tv.

Much better luck than me...see above.

Hang in there, I'm sure somebody here can fix you right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:

Its like a box on the screen with several inches around it of nothing.

StuckeyBoss

I don't know if this will help at all but when I try to watch Cox HD only channels on my old 27" non-HD CRT TV, I see the exact same thing you are seeing. Maybe there is a problem with your TVs processing of the HD images. For some reason it seems to not be able to display HD anymore.
post #993 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo76 View Post

StuckeyBoss

I don't know if this will help at all but when I try to watch Cox HD only channels on my old 27" non-HD CRT TV, I see the exact same thing you are seeing. Maybe there is a problem with your TVs processing of the HD images. For some reason it seems to not be able to display HD anymore.

That would suck, Ive only had it a week.
post #994 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 05:07 AM

@stuckeyboss

I apologize if I over looked it, but I didn't see where you posted how the STB was
connected.

C Snyder
post #995 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 05:23 AM

BB has the 87s serie on their web site...!!!!!!

LNT4665F 1009/1032
PS3
HT-X50 Samsung
post #996 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigee View Post

Not to down your camera or anything but Viva Pinata looks remarkable and the pics just do not do it justice. The colors and everything just makes it a worth-while game for HD enthusiasts. It's good that you represented it though!

It's and 8MP camera! =D

As I mentioned the pics are not that great - I am not sure why - I've taken great shots, same method and camera, with my old LCD and the pics came out great - these came out washed out and a bit grainy, yet the image of the set is quite the opposite.

I wish they would release some new content for VP - I've captured everything; you are right, the game looks amazing (sunrise/sunsets).
post #997 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 05:29 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by joevfx View Post

im confused on the wide gamut setting and the sRGB setting. It says in the manual that the Wide setting its the TVs native setting. So wouldnt the Wide gamut setting be a larger color space then sRGB thus being able to display all the color of sRGB and more? wouldnt you want the setting to be the native screen gamut ? wouldnt any other settings be "faking it" cause its not the displays native color space?

thanks for the answers in advance

Actually, anything other than sRGB is "faking it". The source is sRGB for HD and you cannot create new colors when it does not exist in the source. The native gamut on these displays are highly saturated and very wrong.
post #998 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 06:41 AM

[quote=Tim Hess]Calibrated with Avia (pretty standard settings as previously listed).

All HD is 1080i Time Warner.

Your shots appear to have a sort of central brightness/wash out to them. Is this a result of the digital camera or a product of the LED sets?
I guess my real question is the brightness consistent across the entire screen area?
post #999 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaleon View Post

BB has the 87s serie on their web site...!!!!!!

Wonderful, except their site is mostly down atm... maybe it's a rush of people trying to order their HLTxx87 set...
post #1000 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

My set has a fairly loud buzz sound .

Check for electrical interference. When my set first arrived I hadn't picked up my HD DVR so I hooked up my rabbit ears (which are powered) and when I set them behind the set it had a hum ... I moved it 6" further away and no more hum. Other than that issue I think the set is pretty quiet.

Hope it's something that simple for you.
post #1001 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Elixir View Post

Well, unfortunately I'm one of those fools who follow directions to a T and in bright red on the front of the quick setup guide it says "STOP Please do not return this unit. If you having problems operating this TV Please call: blah,blah,blah.

If the tech tells me it will take some time to get the parts I will give the shop where I purchased it a visit.

That's some bull. Have the store swap the set if that turnaround is faster than having a tech out. ESPECIALLY, if after the tech is out he says repair is required.

They just don't want you to take their stock of working sets, so instead they can sell them to someone else. They will switch out the set and the repair of that one will occur, probably by the same tech, at the distribution warehouse. It will be re boxed and sold as new.

Remember you just paid a wad for a great HD set. Let the salesperson sweat his/her commission and work to keep you happy.
post #1002 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 07:22 AM

New Suggestion for First Post Content

As htwaits put it earlier on in this thread, each new owner's impression of these new sets is commonly fueled in these early stages by the "honeymoon" effect. That is to say, everyone wants their shiny new $2000 TV to be awesome and perfect even if it isn't.

The reality is their are some issues with every new product and technology and we are starting to see them crop up. As a buyer still waiting to see these sets in person and compare them to their bulb counterpart, I am pretty convinced I want to go with LED because they sound like awesome sets but I am also very interested in keeping track of the issues and problems with these sets as the "newness" fades and no longer clouds our vision and the inevitable issues and problems come into view.

I was wondering if johnny_H would be willing to add a running log of current issues and problems as they are discovered and the DIY and/or professional (Samsung Tech) solution or resolution for these problems.

For example something like this...
List of Commonly Recognized Problems and Issues
1. Screen Smudges
Set Models and Sizes Affected - All models, All Sizes
Description - A problem that appears on some sets mostly at the bottom and top edges of the screen that manifest themselves as darkened "screen smudges" on light colored images.
Pro-Solution: Call Samsung to clean your screen or replace your set. (Actual account of how Samsung handles this would be useful as well.)
DIY Solution: Remove screen and clean (maybe a link to a how-to for the brave would be good for DIYs)

The other current issues I have noticed people mention are as follows.
-Screen Smudges
-Buzzing Sound heard at low volume that is proportional to brightness of image on screen.
-Screen Warping at Edges
-Image Ghosting or Aura
-DOA Set

I think this would be valuable info for this thread, I hope johnny_H thinks so too. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
post #1003 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 07:33 AM

Sounds good to me, 92. Gives folks something to look for in-store as well. My local BB/Mag will have one up today sometime.
post #1004 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBliss View Post

Check for electrical interference. When my set first arrived I hadn't picked up my HD DVR so I hooked up my rabbit ears (which are powered) and when I set them behind the set it had a hum ... I moved it 6" further away and no more hum. Other than that issue I think the set is pretty quiet.

Hope it's something that simple for you.

Unfortunately not. It does it even with everything else in the room unplugged. It does it even with no cabling to the TV except for its own power cord. Also, the 5679 didn't do this in the exact same spot, same cabling.
post #1005 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92westshady View Post

New Suggestion for First Post Content

The other current issues I have noticed people mention are as follows.
-Screen Smudges
-Buzzing Sound heard at low volume that is proportional to brightness of image on screen.
-Screen Warping at Edges
-Image Ghosting or Aura
-DOA Set

I think this would be valuable info for this thread, I hope johnny_H thinks so too. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Really what we need to document are imaging artifacts/display issues and this series competence at different types of source feed. Unless we find some sort of recurring manufacturer defect in multiple sets (buzzing possibly), I think we can likely chalk off the previously raised hardware issues (not to be insensitive )as the to be expected average 5% defect rate in all electronics at burn-in.
post #1006 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately not. It does it even with everything else in the room unplugged. It does it even with no cabling to the TV except for its own power cord. Also, the 5679 didn't do this in the exact same spot, same cabling.

I wonder if we're seeing a shielding issue with exposed connections internally. Does the internal mute affect this issue? Do you have any cables running that are powered but not attached (such as using a bundled A/V cable from a console, but only connecting the video)?

I wonder if there is some sort of sensitivity to a particular radio spectrum (interference from wireless devices)? Is your bluetooth (89s) active? Can that be muted/turned off and does that affect anything?
post #1007 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:

I had a stereo shelf system a long time ago that did this. I turned it upside down and a piece of wire fell out (think is was a length of solder) and the problem stopped. Sounds like a possible short or bad connection somewheres inside.

Flourescent lights will do this if they are on a dimmer switch as well. Although I would highly doubt anyone would plug a TV into a dimmer switch.
post #1008 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaizer2000 View Post

I had a stereo shelf system a long time ago that did this. I turned it upside down and a piece of wire fell out (think is was a length of solder) and the problem stopped. Sounds light a possible short or bad connection somewheres inside.

Flourescent lights will do this if they are on a dimmer switch as well. Although I would highly doubt anyone would plug a TV into a dimmer switch.

Good point. Dirty power maybe? Although that issue does not usually exhibit those symptoms, unless it's really bad.
post #1009 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3lub View Post

Really what we need to document are imaging artifacts/display issues and this series competence at different types of source feed. Unless we find some sort of recurring manufacturer defect in multiple sets (buzzing possibly), I think we can likely chalk off the previously raised hardware issues (not to be insensitive )as the to be expected average 5% defect rate in all electronics at burn-in.

I think you are sort of missing the point of my suggestion. Documenting image artifacts caused by software may provide a case to Samsung to improve their product in later production runs or the next model year but they don't help current owner's. I mean the ability for the TV to display formats and different feeds is what it is. You sort of expect it to work and do what the specs claim, but you have to live with the end display result and function, that is unless it doesn't work altogether.

You are looking at this from a high level perspective of someone concerned with the tiniest detail the average viewer won't notice. I am considering the issues form the ground up average user in your face perspective. I believe the average user even the ones here on AVS don't know the difference or have the equipment or even the desire to measure the difference in quality of two different HDMI connections. To the average user, if the image shows up and it looks good, thats good enough.

In short, I think most users would find a list of tangible in your face issues that crop up, ie a buzzing noise or blatant screen distortion most important. I am looking for a sort of checklist if you will for new owner's to help them check out and evaluate their TV for issues or problems so they know if the funny noise they hear or thing they see is the norm or an issue warranting repair or replacement.

I didn't want this to be a debate in fact I am sure there is room for and an interest in documenting both types of issues.
post #1010 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 08:16 AM

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that brentsg has a bad set and should probably take it back for a new one. Maybe it is just a bad fan system. (these do have fans don't they?) Either way it is broken in an annoying way and should be exchanged for a new one.
post #1011 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92westshady View Post

I didn't want this to be a debate in fact I am sure there is room for and an interest in documenting both types of issues.

That's cool man. We're all here to learn about something and find answers.
post #1012 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:

The picture quality is awesome now but its too bright, hurts my eyes a little. I think its too big for my room.

Too bright should be fixable by making adjustments in the user menu. What are your settings ?

The following comments are based on visual calibration .. DVE disc should arrive today *

I know for my set I ended up setting brightness at 37 and then I adjust contrast based on the lighting ( bump it up for daytime viewing and then drop it when viewing at night and then drop it a little more when watching a movie with the lights out) .

* The sound you heard was my wife's sigh of relief that my tweaking may soon come to an end. " The picture looks fine .. put the remote down."
post #1013 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=92westshady]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hess View Post

Calibrated with Avia (pretty standard settings as previously listed).

All HD is 1080i Time Warner.

Your shots appear to have a sort of central brightness/wash out to them. Is this a result of the digital camera or a product of the LED sets?
I guess my real question is the brightness consistent across the entire screen area?

When taking the photos there is a centralized brightness (I believe it was a camera setting that targets certain focal points of the shot and auto-adjusts - I forgot that it was on - (think of it as a way to target faces).

Prior to actually snapping the photo, through the view finder these sections (outlined by green boxes on the camera would indeed get brighter before taking the pic) so it is quite possible that the camera was focusing on the brightest portion of the screen.

The screen brightness is very uniform, and is nowhere near as centrally bright as the photos appear.

I'll take some photos over the weekend without using the 'face tracking' setting on the camera.
post #1014 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3lub View Post

I wonder if we're seeing a shielding issue with exposed connections internally. Does the internal mute affect this issue? Do you have any cables running that are powered but not attached (such as using a bundled A/V cable from a console, but only connecting the video)?

I wonder if there is some sort of sensitivity to a particular radio spectrum (interference from wireless devices)? Is your bluetooth (89s) active? Can that be muted/turned off and does that affect anything?

Some good suggestions here that I will check out tonight.

I tested with literally nothing cabled and it buzzed. Also, my power is fine.
post #1015 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:

My hi-def channels now arent the full screen for some reason. Its like a box on the screen with several inches around it of nothing. It wasnt like that when I first hooked it up. I did not make any changes to the tv such as mode, picture size, etc. My regular cable is fine.

Is something wrong with the hi-def of the tv or is this a problem from my cable company and/or with the hi-def channels ??

What resolution are you sending from your STB..... if you are sending 480i then many TV will display a HD signal in letterbox under these conditions....

What STB do you have?

Don
post #1016 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
There is so much traffic this morning that it's going to be harder to keep track of your problem. I'm not an owner, so it would be best if some owners respond.

For those who are picking up this problem at this point, StuckyBoss is now getting black bars on all four sides of his HD image. I suspect a problem at his TV provider or in his STB if he is using the correct settings on his HL-T5089 set.

Quote:

Ive got it in standard mode, 16:9 format. My DVR Receiver and DVD player are hooked up HDMI.

Your setting sounds like the correct one. When you are getting one of these "HD" images press "Info" on your remote control and find out what input resolution your TV is seeing from your source. Is your STB is configured to output 1080i?

Try the same thing on all your HDTV channels and record what you are receiving.

If your input signal is 1080i then you can try switching from picture size "16:9" to "Just Scan" to see if anything changes.

Quote:

I have my receiver running thru my DVD player so I can have my surround sound speakers on my tv channels too, not just during a DVD.

By receiver do you mean an A/V receiver or your TV service STB? I'm not sure how or why you would run anything, audio or video, through your DVD player. Normally a DVD player with an HDMI output is connected to the TV using HDMI, and to an A/V receiver for 5.1 surround sound using the DVD players optical or coax digital audio output.

Quote:

But like I said, I switched nothing so I dont know why the HD channels look that way. They never looked like that before. Its like Im in 4:3 mode almost.

That's why it sounds like it could be a problem with your TV provider. Knowing what the input signal is by using the "info" button will provide a clue.
post #1017 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1959 View Post

What resolution are you sending from your STB..... if you are sending 480i then many TV will display a HD signal in letterbox under these conditions....

What STB do you have?

Don

I didn't see your post until after mine was posted. I think we are asking the same question. What's strange is StuckyBoss's impression that the letterboxing happened without him changing any options on either his STB or his TV. The chances are the STB still has it's default settings which would depend what is easy for the local company, not what is best for StuckyBoss.
post #1018 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Actually, anything other than sRGB is "faking it". The source is sRGB for HD and you cannot create new colors when it does not exist in the source. The native gamut on these displays are highly saturated and very wrong.

really? everytime i do a search on sRGB it says that is is the standard for video, but HD content has a wider Gamut.
post #1019 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 10:09 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by joevfx View Post

really? everytime i do a search on sRGB it says that is is the standard for video, but HD content has a wider Gamut.

I am not sure what your source is, but this one is reliable.

http://www.poynton.com/notes/events/...7_PHX_CIC.html
post #1020 of 14887 Old 04-20-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I didn't see your post until after mine was posted. I think we are asking the same question. What's strange is StuckyBoss's impression that the letterboxing happened without him changing any options on either his STB or his TV. The chances are the STB still has it's default settings which would depend what is easy for the local company, not what is best for StuckyBoss.

I have a SA8300HD and one of the know "issues" is that it will reset itself to 480i when it feels like it... now this depends on what version of SARA you are running and that depends on which CableCo you are with.

Quote:

press "Info" on your remote control and find out what input resolution your TV is seeing from your source

Good one, that should tell him if the STB is the cause.

Don
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page