Forum Jump: 

post #12691 of 14896 Old 10-19-2008, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post

i have the 5087s and it does accept and display 24p. when I set my htpc to output 1920x1080p@24hertz it makes the movement of my mouse jerkier feeling because the fps is slowed down from 60 to 24 hertz and that is something you can easily see on a htpc that verifies the refresh rate is in fact much lower than the normal 60 hertz.
I purchased mine back in nov. of 07 and have never updated the firmware.... Hope this helps settle the matter for you.

It is kind of weird how Samsung has not published a white paper on how their sets process signals. My understanding is that the 2007 (and probably the 2008s) sets display at a 120 Hz refresh frequency only in 3D mode. The wobulation frequency is 120 Hz and the two subframes are combined and displayed at 60 Hz under all other (non-3D) conditions. The 2007's accept 24 fps input (as indicated by the INFO button) do a 3:2 pulldown and are output and displayed at 60 hz. The better way would be to show each frame 5 times (5:5 pull-down) and display at 120 Hz. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=997138 for more discussion. If your HTPC is outputting at 24 fps then your mouse would look "jerkier" no matter what the display was doing - the display is simply not getting data as fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 14896 Old 10-19-2008, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dloose View Post

If your HTPC is outputting at 24 fps then your mouse would look "jerkier" no matter what the display was doing - the display is simply not getting data as fast.

Thats a good point. I'm not sure if you're right or wrong but it's something I hadn't considered before.

You'd think after this 12500 + reply thread SOMEONE from samsung who knows the answer definitively could have taken 30 seconds to put this question to rest.
post #12693 of 14896 Old 10-19-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantShift View Post

Your first issue is because your motorola pvr only has 1080i/720p sources. All sattelite/cable right now is 1080i/720p only.

Second problem you can't really fix except for moving farther away from the TV or by ignoring it. Yes it kind of sucks but after a while you don't even notice it anymore and can go back to realizing how great a picture you have

Thanks for the reply, I did check the settings on the Motorola pvr and you're right it only displays 1080i and I guess I'll have to live with the SDE as you said
post #12694 of 14896 Old 10-23-2008, 03:37 PM

So I have finally decided to have BB replace the buzzing lamp module on my 6189. What has been other folks general experience with this? Did your screen develop issues? Did you end up better or worse than you started?

BB has a replacement guarantee if they fork it up I just want to be prepared and ready for what "could" go wrong after cracking the case...
post #12695 of 14896 Old 10-24-2008, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeg View Post

I am having an intermittent problem with sound when I power on the tv. I have seen other posts where people have had sound drop out for a few seconds while watching an HD channel, but twice mine has had no sound when I turn on the set. To make sure it wasn't just my cable box, I have checked other sources as well and none of them have sound. I then have to turn off the tv and turn it back on again to get sound. The first time it happened, I only had to turn it off once but this morning I had to do it 3-4 times before the sound came on.

Any one have any ideas? If it happens again, I'm going to go ahead and call Samsung.

I did not see much traffic on this topic

I just started having the same problem with my HLT-6187. It is not an HDMI handshake problem, because I am having the issue on component inputs. I don't have enough data yet, but it appears if I leave the set on for a few minutes and then cycle power, sound will come back. Anyone else beside Ceeg have this problem?

Ceeg- Are you still out there? How did you resolve your issue?

I hate intermittent problems! I should have until Feb until the warranty runs out, so I don't need to call Samsung right away....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12696 of 14896 Old 10-24-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post

I did not see much traffic on this topic

I just started having the same problem with my HLT-6187. It is not an HDMI handshake problem, because I am having the issue on component inputs. I don't have enough data yet, but it appears if I leave the set on for a few minutes and then cycle power, sound will come back. Anyone else beside Ceeg have this problem?

Ceeg- Are you still out there? How did you resolve your issue?

I hate intermittent problems! I should have until Feb until the warranty runs out, so I don't need to call Samsung right away....

There was an issue with this prior to Firmware 1026
post #12697 of 14896 Old 10-24-2008, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalock View Post

There was an issue with this prior to Firmware 1026

Thanks kalock. After reading messages from awhile back (12/07 timeframe) there seems to be contradictory information about the firmware. Specifically, I have the HLT-6187SAX. Current firmware according to the set is 1008. Samsung only has HLT-6187S firmware available. That version appears to be 1028. Not sure if it is for my set or not.

I don't want to brick the set before Sunday football. The wife would really be upset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12698 of 14896 Old 10-25-2008, 03:37 PM

On the HLT 6187SAX has there been a frimware update that would enable digital audio out from HDMI externally connected devices? I am unable to get digital out using that connection and read that it only sends digital audio out from the internal tuner.
post #12699 of 14896 Old 11-01-2008, 09:25 AM

Has anyone come across this problem? For example, I set the blue light to be on only when watching TV, off the rest of the time. When the TV is turned back on it is back to "always on". Another example is the dispay size. It defaults back to 16x9 no matter what it was set to before turning it off.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
post #12700 of 14896 Old 11-01-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm5 View Post

Has anyone come across this problem? For example, I set the blue light to be on only when watching TV, off the rest of the time. When the TV is turned back on it is back to "always on". Another example is the dispay size. It defaults back to 16x9 no matter what it was set to before turning it off.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It sounds like you might have your unit in "shop mode"...which would always set it back to defaults. You should be able to find instructions on how to check/change this by searching for "shop mode" in this thread. I just don't remember how to do this off the top of my head.
post #12701 of 14896 Old 11-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also, there was a particular version of the firmware that caused it to keep going back into shop mode so that your customized settings wouldn't stick. A firmware update fixed this problem. I believe this is also explained somewhere in this thread.

Alan Oliver
Tivo user since May 2000
post #12702 of 14896 Old 11-02-2008, 09:08 AM

Thanks for your help...the TV was in shop mode.
post #12703 of 14896 Old 11-02-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone in here used the tridef 3d package with either the 4870 or 4850 and had success.. i can get the 3d button to work on the remote, but the image isnt very 3dimensional.. actually blocky behind.. i can see the glasses turn on, but so far i'm having my doubts on this purchase..

At first i realized i couldnt use the dvi to hdmi dongle by ati (which is no good for my setup either), but i am currently using a dvi to hdmi straight cable, which allowed me to hit the 3d button on the remote and switch the mode on the tv via hdmi3\\dvi.

I'm on x64 vista as well..

Cheers..

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  

post #12704 of 14896 Old 11-03-2008, 05:12 PM

Hello everyone. I have poured through the message boards here and many other places and have found a lot of answers to my troublesome HDTV questions yet cannot find a definitive answer on the HL-T6187S 120hz/24p mode.

I see the conflicting specifications on a lot of websites and boards saying the Samsung does 120hz always, 120hz when necesssary, or 120hz when used for 3D viewing. I also see in stores like Best Buy and Circuit City the displays for 1080P HD requiring a 120Hz TV if you want that feature that makes motion pictures look like HD video you'd see on HDNet or something.

As far as I can tell there is no exact setting in this TV to put it into any other refresh mode. I have a new Panasonic Blu-Ray player that has a setting for 24p which is grayed out meaning the signal it is getting from the HL-T6187S does not indicate any 24p capability.

I believe that this DLP may be able to do these modes in some form or another but how do you get it into these modes in the first place? I've read some people with PS3 can force the 24p yet my Panasonic DMP-BD35K doesn't think this is possible. How exactly can I get the HD video look from the Blu-Ray discs as seen in store displays? A CC floor rep told me that eventually the 120hz selection may be a firmaware update to the Panasonic but honestly shouldn't this be the responsibility of a Samsung firmware update to allow this mode?

I am very frustrated that a 2007 model TV costing 2K containing many of the latest features for 1080p never uses them unless some other manufacturer's device tells it to (in which case almost none do).

Thanks for all your good help,
Larry
post #12705 of 14896 Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 PM

hi guys
having 2 problems as of recent
1st i have 2 sometimes 3 blueish/purple spots in the lower center of the screen that form a triangle shape
the main point is closest to the bottom
they show up on dark pictures or backgrounds

2nd the screen is off centered everything is moved right by 1-2 inches
so down the left side is a big black bar and the right side is cut off the screen

thanks for any input, searching here is hard for me to narrow anything down
post #12706 of 14896 Old 11-04-2008, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarrya View Post

Hello everyone. I have poured through the message boards here and many other places and have found a lot of answers to my troublesome HDTV questions yet cannot find a definitive answer on the HL-T6187S 120hz/24p mode.

I see the conflicting specifications on a lot of websites and boards saying the Samsung does 120hz always, 120hz when necesssary, or 120hz when used for 3D viewing. I also see in stores like Best Buy and Circuit City the displays for 1080P HD requiring a 120Hz TV if you want that feature that makes motion pictures look like HD video you'd see on HDNet or something.

As far as I can tell there is no exact setting in this TV to put it into any other refresh mode. I have a new Panasonic Blu-Ray player that has a setting for 24p which is grayed out meaning the signal it is getting from the HL-T6187S does not indicate any 24p capability.

I believe that this DLP may be able to do these modes in some form or another but how do you get it into these modes in the first place? I've read some people with PS3 can force the 24p yet my Panasonic DMP-BD35K doesn't think this is possible. How exactly can I get the HD video look from the Blu-Ray discs as seen in store displays? A CC floor rep told me that eventually the 120hz selection may be a firmaware update to the Panasonic but honestly shouldn't this be the responsibility of a Samsung firmware update to allow this mode?

I am very frustrated that a 2007 model TV costing 2K containing many of the latest features for 1080p never uses them unless some other manufacturer's device tells it to (in which case almost none do).

Thanks for all your good help,
Larry

Larry:
The HLT series DLPs do support 24 fps at 60 Hz, not 120 Hz. I believe that the 120 HZ capability in this model is for 3-D viewing only. The big buzz about 120 Hz from a practical standpoint is for LCD displays - the DLPs do not have the same difficulty with image retention that generates the motion artifacts readily apparent in LCD displays. It is probably the case that 120 Hz would reduce judder better than the 60 Hz that Samsung employs for the HLT series displays but again, the 120 Hz capability seems to be for 3-D only.

The "INFO" button on my HLT 6787S indicates that it is displaying the 24 fps signal from my Samsung BD-P1400 as "1980 X 1080 @ 24 fps" but apparently, it is converting the 24 fps to 60 Hz to display it. I do notice an improvement in image between having my Blu-ray send a 24 fps and a 60 Hz signal out but apparently, this is as good as it gets. C'est la vie...

The only possible improvement over what you can do now is IF the Samsung is better at the 3:2 pulldown than the Panasonic. Who knows, that's a BIG IF? In order to have the Samsung do the pulldown, it sounds like your Panasonic player needs an update of its firmware and your HLT probably does as well. Be sure to indicate to the customer service representatives what you are trying to do because they will probably think that the Panasonic does a fine job and, rather than being frank with you, will simply play dumb. (Some of them probably aren't playing 8^).

I really like the picture on my HLT and for my next display, I will certainly have a bunch of other technical capabilities that I will have to juggle to make my decision.

Relax. Enjoy. Have fun.

mnilan
post #12707 of 14896 Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan View Post

The "INFO" button on my HLT 6787S indicates that it is displaying the 24 fps signal from my Samsung BD-P1400 as "1980 X 1080 @ 24 fps" but apparently, it is converting the 24 fps to 60 Hz to display it. I do notice an improvement in image between having my Blu-ray send a 24 fps and a 60 Hz signal out but apparently, this is as good as it gets. C'est la vie...

Thanks for the reply. I have updated both the DLP and the Blu-Ray to the latest firmware revisions yet the Panasonic still will not allow me to turn on the 24P mode. This seems to indicate that the Samsung has to tell the Blu-Ray it can do this mode through the HDMI port. I already returned the DMP-BD55K Panasonic for the cheaper DMP-BD35K but both are pretty much the same unit and both get rave reviews.

Will the 24P mode give me that HD Video look or is it just a very small and almost unoticeable gimmick? I heard it's the 120hz mode that does this effect.

I am not interested in shelling out another 2K for a feature that my current model seems it could perform with a proper firmware update so I am left with hoping Samsung cares enough to update it -- which I very much doubt.

Should I try a different Blu-Ray player that allows you to switch to 24p regardless of any signal it may be receiving from the DLP? Or can anyone suggest a good Blu-Ray player besides a PS3 that they know works good like the Panasonic and allows you to change modes as you see fit?
post #12708 of 14896 Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan View Post

Are you saying you think the 24p setting looks better than standard 60... curious..

I'm opting for a sony bdp-s350.. does anyone know if it can operate in 24p mode with the hlt-6187s series? (my current magnavox cannot).

Thanks

post #12709 of 14896 Old 11-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarrya View Post

Should I try a different Blu-Ray player that allows you to switch to 24p regardless of any signal it may be receiving from the DLP? Or can anyone suggest a good Blu-Ray player besides a PS3 that they know works good like the Panasonic and allows you to change modes as you see fit?

After doing more research on the Panasonic DMP-BD35 I see many are having this problem where their HDTV does do 24p yet maybe does not communicate this fact over the HDMI so the Panasonic player simply thinks the display can't do it and grays out the menu item. This is a pretty stupid feature.

When the days of HiDef first started you could set the Pscan DVD player to progressive and if your TV could not do it you just got a blank or scrambled screen in which case you simply reset the unit. I understand these companies are trying to limit support calls by idiot proofing their products but what good is doing this if the unit may not get used with other idiot proofed components?

You know there is no way in heck Samsung will support or update the HL-T6187S TV anymore after this year. I even sent them an email and the email form listed a whole mess of TV models but not this ancient reilc. I understand, this model IS a whole 1.5 years old (11 months to me).
post #12710 of 14896 Old 11-04-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcladley View Post

I am noticing another PS3/Samsung LED DLP issue. I have the HLT5087S and the PS3 connected via HDMI. I observe vertical bands of alternating light and dark shadow when the camera pans (kind of like a referee's uniform). This only occurs on the PS3 during game playback. The Blu-Ray/DVD playback is unaffected. All other components connected to the TV via HDMI (and otherwise) are likewise unaffected by this issue. I all TV/PS3 settings to no avail. I have, however, noticed the following:

1. The problem seems to occur in games with a lot of dark shadows and/or green surfaces. For me, Madden 09, MLB 08, and COD4 are the worst offenders.

2. The problem only occurs on games that run at 720p. Oddly, MGS4 and Virtua Tennis (games that run at 1080p exclusively) do not have this issue.

3. I can sometimes get rid of the lines if I turn on my cable, set it to an HD channel, and hit the TV Remote's "Source" button to cycle through all of the various sources. This might work about 40% of the time.

4. Having noticed point 3, I tried setting the PS3 to output at 720p exclusively. This, however, did not work.

All I can say is that this is a vexing issue. Perhaps it is an anomaly between the HLT5087S and PS3 only. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I have this same problem that is really bad on MLB '08, COD4, and Madden 09. It is very annoying.

P.S. I tried to download the firmware update for my HLT5687SX from the Samsung website and it downloads into a .exe file and there is nothing yo unzip. Anyone have any suggestions so I can get this upgraded?
post #12711 of 14896 Old 11-05-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post

Are you saying you think the 24p setting looks better than standard 60... curious..

I'm opting for a sony bdp-s350.. does anyone know if it can operate in 24p mode with the hlt-6187s series? (my current magnavox cannot).

Thanks

I have this exact set-up. Yes, it will output 24p to the 87s, but you have to set the blu-ray player to force/or always on (can't remember the exact wording) 24p.

Pressing info on the TV remote will show the picture being shown at 1080p x 24p.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Gamertag: One Big Wizz
post #12712 of 14896 Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by room112 View Post

I have this exact set-up. Yes, it will output 24p to the 87s, but you have to set the blu-ray player to force/or always on (can't remember the exact wording) 24p.

Pressing info on the TV remote will show the picture being shown at 1080p x 24p.

Nice.. this is encouraging as it arrives in 1 day

So do you prefer 24p over 60?

post #12713 of 14896 Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone using hdmi3\\dvi and a harmony remote, ever find discrete codes that actually worked in going directly to hdmi3?

Its rather annoying that when the set switches to hdmi3, often it will find itself on the tv antenna station (seems to be random, so i cant even really program this in), you then have to hit "hdmi" once again on the harmony and its back on hdmi3..

I'm hoping to find a direct way to get there, but thinking it may not be possible?

post #12714 of 14896 Old 11-05-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Did anyone using hdmi3\\dvi and a harmony remote, ever find discrete codes that actually worked in going directly to hdmi3?

There doesn't seem to be a discrete code, but I posted the way I do it with my Harmony 880 a while back in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=11272
post #12715 of 14896 Old 11-05-2008, 09:22 AM

how do you find out the firmware version you have?
post #12716 of 14896 Old 11-06-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Nice.. this is encouraging as it arrives in 1 day

So do you prefer 24p over 60?

I know I'm supposed to say that 24p is a hundred times greater than 1080p/60, but honestly, I can't tell that much of a difference.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Gamertag: One Big Wizz
post #12717 of 14896 Old 11-06-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

markm75:
Yes, I believe it does look better - smoother on scenes where judder is particularly noticeable. The difference is not huge and I am certain I would prefer 120 Hz, but hey...

mnilan
post #12718 of 14896 Old 11-06-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadache View Post

I agree, it also makes dark-toned material look really bad. You go the service menu, go to SP Actuator, then down to DB Aperature, and set it from Open to Close. This will cut the light output approximately in half. Be warned though: Going into the service menu will put all of the user menu settings back to default.

Sorry...I know this quote is from quite a while ago. However, as a cure to the overbrightness issue, was anybody ever able to make this iris adjustment stick?

(As opposed to losing the iris setting upon exiting the SM...)
post #12719 of 14896 Old 11-07-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Its rather annoying that when the set switches to hdmi3, often it will find itself on the tv antenna station (seems to be random, so i cant even really program this in), you then have to hit "hdmi" once again on the harmony and its back on hdmi3..

I'm hoping to find a direct way to get there, but thinking it may not be possible?

I have had mine setup with the discrete codes since I've had the TV (HLT5689S) for 1.5 years or so. The one I had to choose in the Harmony database was labeled something like "HDMI3v2"...the one that was just "HDMI3" would just change to the HDMI2 input...if I remember correctly.
post #12720 of 14896 Old 11-07-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXXp View Post

There doesn't seem to be a discrete code, but I posted the way I do it with my Harmony 880 a while back in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=11272

The discrete codes work fine for me. Maybe you got stuck with a Harmony database entry that didn't have them. I believe the exact model # I typed in to find it was "HL-T5689S". If you have a slightly different model, I think the commands are the same...so maybe you could give that a try. The one that worked for me was "HDMI3v2"...as mentioned above, the one labeled "HDMI3" seemed to switch to the HDMI2 input.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page