Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty4x4 View Post

Follow-up to my original post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16971585

After a day's delay because of a backlog on red LEDs, the repairs commenced. It took about 3 hours, with some time spent exploring the TV's internals, but it was completed. The tomatoes are no longer blue. Here are some cautions, tips, and pictures that could be useful.

Nice post. Thanks for the info and PIX. A few questions if you don't mind.

1. How is the led secured to the heat sink. I couldn't tell from the pix.

2. From the pix, it looks like the led was just stuck to a random place on the heat sink base (not square to the base). Is there any kind of alignment/positioning that had to be done to ensure the led's light is projected properly?

3. Interesting heat sink arrangement - different quantity of cooling fins on each led's heat sink. Was there much dust buildup in the cooling system?

I would think your Artic Silver would be a good substitute.
post #13053 of 14886 Old 08-15-2009, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good questions. Here are the answers -

"1. How is the led secured to the heat sink. I couldn't tell from the pix."

The LED is aligned by two small lugs you can see on IMG-0036. If you look at the 4 holes on the back side of the LED, you'll notice 2 of them look white - these are the lugs. The heat sink itself is held against the LED by 4 screws. You can see the holes for them in the black plastic holder on the same image, and if you zoom in on IMG_0025, I think you can see these screws in place.

"2. From the pix, it looks like the led was just stuck to a random place on the heat sink base (not square to the base). Is there any kind of alignment/positioning that had to be done to ensure the led's light is projected properly?"

Other than the lugs, I did not notice any other positioning. And yes, it definitely looked un-square to me when I first saw it. Hence, the tip about taking pictures during disassembly.

"3. Interesting heat sink arrangement - different quantity of cooling fins on each led's heat sink. Was there much dust buildup in the cooling system?"

Fortunately, there wasn't much dust in the heat sink area, even after almost 2 years. The fans' edges had some caking, but most of the dust had accumulated on the outside grilles, which was easy to blow off. However, I think the overall ventilation layout is not optimal.

IMO, the red LED's heat sink did not need the heat pipes - a finned sink directly mounted on the LED and cooled by a separate fan, like a CPU cooler, would have done a better job. Also, it wasn't obvious to me what the air flow directions were; fan orientation counts.

"I would think your Artic Silver would be a good substitute."

I sure hope so - and I looked more closely at the tube: it's the AS Ceramique compound. So far, so good.
post #13054 of 14886 Old 08-16-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

rusty 4X4:
Thank you for the thoughtful post and follow up. Some of us may need this in the future (may it be far, far in the future 8^).

mnilan
post #13055 of 14886 Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan View Post

rusty 4X4:
Thank you for the thoughtful post and follow up. Some of us may need this in the future (may it be far, far in the future 8^).

Glad to help. Next repair is screen replacement. But I want to wait until I get back from a business trip to start that one.
post #13056 of 14886 Old 08-18-2009, 05:15 PM

well, my pcb was replaced again, my pwr supply and my drivers. The best buy guy was pretty good so my tv is finally working since the end of june. I have had it on all day and the screen hasnt gone black so far. Got my fingers crossed. Without the waranty from best buy, I would be out 2k. I'll keep you posted if something else happens.
post #13057 of 14886 Old 08-18-2009, 05:40 PM

Its been quite a while since I logged into this forum so its good to see the last post was dated today. Shows there are still a lot of folks asking questions about this TV.

I've had mine for over two years and it is still an amazing set with a fabulous picture. Last Christmas I upgraded my dvd player to a Sony blu ray and for the first time plugged an HDMI cable into the tv. Shortly after that I upgraded my tv service to FIOS and in went another HDMI cable.

Originally I used the tv's digital optical out to pump the tv's sound into my surround amp (which I have yet to update) and all worked well with my older SD DVD player. The blu ray player is a different story. No sound comes out of the tv's digital out. To get around this I plugged the blu ray's sound output into the amp with another sp/dif cable.

A few months ago my son gave me an Apple TV box that also has an HDMI out. Plugging this in fills all the HDMI sockets on my TV. And, like the blu ray player no sound comes out the digital out from the tv to the amp. (Both the blu ray player and the Apple tv DO send sound to the internal speakers of the TV)

Is it possible that the digital "rights" management feature of the HDMI connector is preventing anything input through HDMI from being passed through to the digital out of the TV?
post #13058 of 14886 Old 08-18-2009, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrichardh View Post

Is it possible that the digital "rights" management feature of the HDMI connector is preventing anything input through HDMI from being passed through to the digital out of the TV?

No, it's probably related to the audio format your Blu-ray player is outputting. Either way, the optical audio output on the TV is really only meant for use with the internal tuner.
post #13059 of 14886 Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 AM

drrichardh,

I remember this subject coming up a lot over the years. As Jeremy mentioned, I believe that the consensus is that the optical output on the HDTV can only be used for outputting the audio from OTA signals to an external decoder. I've never had a need to use it, so I don't know this from personal experience.
post #13060 of 14886 Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Its been quite a while since I logged into this forum so its good to see the last post was dated today. Shows there are still a lot of folks asking questions about this TV.

I've been following this thread from the beginning and it has provided a wealth of information. What I've notived about this thread is that the subject matter has shifted from things like: settings for best picture/professional calibration/blue halo/I love my TV, to service related subject matter like: my red LED has failed. Fortunately, there are still folks out there continuing to provide the wealth of information. Thanks again to rusty4x4 for the red LED replacement post.
post #13061 of 14886 Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 AM

I couldn't agree with snake more. This trhread has been a fountain of information. I haven't had any problems with my set as of yet and I hope this LED problem doesn't balloon into a major issue with these sets. If it does maybe Samsung will take care of us even if we don't have extended warranties. I hope that parts availibility doesn't become an issue as well.

All in all I love the PQ from this TV

Av8orjb
post #13062 of 14886 Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:

I've had mine for over two years and it is still an amazing set with a fabulous picture. Last Christmas I upgraded my dvd player to a Sony blu ray and for the first time plugged an HDMI cable into the tv. Shortly after that I upgraded my tv service to FIOS and in went another HDMI cable.

Originally I used the tv's digital optical out to pump the tv's sound into my surround amp (which I have yet to update) and all worked well with my older SD DVD player. The blu ray player is a different story. No sound comes out of the tv's digital out. To get around this I plugged the blu ray's sound output into the amp with another sp/dif cable.

A few months ago my son gave me an Apple TV box that also has an HDMI out. Plugging this in fills all the HDMI sockets on my TV. And, like the blu ray player no sound comes out the digital out from the tv to the amp. (Both the blu ray player and the Apple tv DO send sound to the internal speakers of the TV)

Your last statement is correct: The HDMI specification forbids passing data into another non-DRM output, so if you use HDMI input into your Samsung it will not pass the audio through the optical. This isn't a Samsung issue, its true will all current AV gear. Your only choice is to run an optical cable (or RCA) to the reciever from your sources. Or upgrade to an HDMI equipped reciever and use an HDMI connection to the Samsung. Make sure the reciever can pass audio through HDMI. Some low-end models, the Denon 1709 comes to mind, cannot pass audio via HDMI.
post #13063 of 14886 Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 AM

I have a HL-T5689S. Yesterday after my wife cleaned the screen with some Windex, a small dot appeared on the screen. I'm thinking some of the Windex seeped through the top of the screen and dripped down the back inside the TV. How hard is it to remove the front panel on this TV to get to the back of the screen?

Boone
Samsung BD-F5900
Xbox 360

post #13064 of 14886 Old 08-23-2009, 10:53 AM

Liked: 12
Hello, first off, wow, lots of information on this forum, wish I'd found it sooner. Well I've been searching, and haven't seen this problem arise for this model. I've had my tv since 4/21/08 and have not had a single problem until this morning. I turn on my HLT5687SAX/XAA and get a "Check the Fan NO.2" error on screen and then my TV turns off after about five minutes. Is there a way to change the fan, or is there a larger issue. I am no longer under warranty.
post #13065 of 14886 Old 08-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone8576 View Post

I have a HL-T5689S. Yesterday after my wife cleaned the screen with some Windex, a small dot appeared on the screen. I'm thinking some of the Windex seeped through the top of the screen and dripped down the back inside the TV. How hard is it to remove the front panel on this TV to get to the back of the screen?

Yikes...I hope someone has an answer for you about removing the screen to get your spot removed. I have always heard that we shouldn't use harsh surface cleaners (like Windex) on screens with non-glare coatings because they can be damaged easily. I have also heard of people using regular tap water and getting spots from mineral deposits behind the screen...so for those folks that like using liquid, they might want to try distilled water. I usually just use a clean microfiber cloth to gently wipe off dust or kid fingerprints.
post #13066 of 14886 Old 08-23-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adames729 View Post

Hello, first off, wow, lots of information on this forum, wish I'd found it sooner. Well I've been searching, and haven't seen this problem arise for this model. I've had my tv since 4/21/08 and have not had a single problem until this morning. I turn on my HLT5687SAX/XAA and get a "Check the Fan NO.2" error on screen and then my TV turns off after about five minutes. Is there a way to change the fan, or is there a larger issue. I am no longer under warranty.

Well just finished opening my TV and cleaning out the fan. Turns out it wasn't working because of all the dust and grime on the fan. Now TV is working like new. Glad is was a fairly simple fix. Previous post with internal pics really helped!
post #13067 of 14886 Old 08-23-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adames729 View Post

Well just finished opening my TV and cleaning out the fan. Turns out it wasn't working because of all the dust and grime on the fan. Now TV is working like new. Glad is was a fairly simple fix. Previous post with internal pics really helped!

So, out of curisoity, which fan is "Fan No. 2"?
post #13068 of 14886 Old 08-23-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post

So, out of curisoity, which fan is "Fan No. 2"?

Well the fan I cleaned was the small fan that is held up by two screws. If you look at rusty4x4 post of pics, its the small fan at an angle to a heat sink. So since it fixed my issue, I'm assuming that is Fan #2.
post #13069 of 14886 Old 08-23-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeblaze View Post

Yikes...I hope someone has an answer for you about removing the screen to get your spot removed. I have always heard that we shouldn't use harsh surface cleaners (like Windex) on screens with non-glare coatings because they can be damaged easily. I have also heard of people using regular tap water and getting spots from mineral deposits behind the screen...so for those folks that like using liquid, they might want to try distilled water. I usually just use a clean microfiber cloth to gently wipe off dust or kid fingerprints.

Thanks. I do not normally use Windex to clean the screen. I just use a damp cloth. My wife was just helping me out so I can't get bent out of shape. I'll just clean off the back of the screen once I get an idea of what it will take to get to it.

Boone
Samsung BD-F5900
Xbox 360

post #13070 of 14886 Old 08-23-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I use a soft feather duster on the screen, thats it. No kids or animals in the house, and the wifey and cleaning lady know better than to go near the screen, so it never gets any figerprints or major dirt.

I really wouldnt ever use any kind of liquid on it even if it did have fingerprints though, that would be too much of a gamble.

never take life seriously
post #13071 of 14886 Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone8576 View Post

There are access holes on both sides of the set, covered with circular panels. Each cover is held by a single screw. Remove the covers and you may be able to get at the back of the screen without taking anything else apart. You can shine a flashlight through one hole while reaching into the other.

Try not to touch the mirror at the back or any of the optics at the bottom or you may make matters worse.

Also, the screen actually consists of two layers. If the spot is between the layers you probably have to remove the front bezel and take out the screens. The service manual doesn't explain how to do this and I've never done it myself. I'm guessing you remove all the screws around the back of the bezel.
post #13072 of 14886 Old 08-24-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXXp View Post

There are access holes on both sides of the set, covered with circular panels. Each cover is held by a single screw. Remove the covers and you may be able to get at the back of the screen without taking anything else apart. You can shine a flashlight through one hole while reaching into the other.

Try not to touch the mirror at the back or any of the optics at the bottom or you may make matters worse.

Also, the screen actually consists of two layers. If the spot is between the layers you probably have to remove the front bezel and take out the screens. The service manual doesn't explain how to do this and I've never done it myself. I'm guessing you remove all the screws around the back of the bezel.

Thanks. I'll give this a shot when I get home.

Boone
Samsung BD-F5900
Xbox 360

post #13073 of 14886 Old 08-24-2009, 02:26 PM

After a quick swipe with a microfiber cloth to the inside of the screen, my problem is solved. I remember seeing those two circular panels on the side of the TV when I put it on the stand a year ago but I completely forgot about them. It was a great idea to include them. Thanks again MLXXXp.

Boone
Samsung BD-F5900
Xbox 360

post #13074 of 14886 Old 08-26-2009, 05:57 PM

Have had this TV for maybe 16 to 18 months and is receiving it's only signal through an Onkyo receiver. It's been a great TV thus far. About a week ago, I noticed it was darker than normal; picture still looked good just somewhat dark. I grabbed the remote to check the settings and see if something got messed with, nothing. I look closer and notice it's ever so slightly flickering once every 1.5 seconds, consistently almost like pulsing. So, I didn't know where to go from there.

Well, last night, I get home from work and the TV is on. I notice its still pulsing and then it flashes off, for about a half second. I'm like, what the..... Ever since, it's never stopped doing the cycle; flicker, flicker, flicker, flash off then on, in 30 second cycles. So, I dig in. swap HDMI cables, change from HDMI to component; no change. I changed sources (once when i went component), then tried air; no change. Menu flashes off as well, whole screen just flashes off. I then tried going from sat. box straight to TV to check tv audio. The TV still flickers exactly the same, but the audio doesn't, so it's a strictly video issue.

I tried vacuuming all the vent areas. I took the left side (looking at it) door off and vacuumed in there. I was getting ready to pull the back off and vacuum that but I don't know enough about it to go digging in to the TV. I've pretty much eliminated all possibilities outside the TV. Screen is still dark, and still flickering/flashing. There haven't been any lights come on, everything is performing normally otherwise.

As far as the front lights, when the TV is off, it has the red standby led lit. TV turns on and there are no leds lit. They have never lit when the TV is running. Just checked out the back with my flashlight and it's surprisingly dust free inside there, but w/o actually getting in there, I guess who knows.

Help, there's a UFC fight Saturday night and we were going to have a fight party.

-Scott
post #13075 of 14886 Old 08-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Hi,
I have tried to watch my slide shows (on CD) on my set, and even if I set the screen to the smallest size, the picture is pure grain. Do I have to put them on DVD disc's? The file size is pretty large (between 3000 kb jpeg and 7000 kb or above each pic).
Any suggestions?
Thanks
post #13076 of 14886 Old 08-27-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.e.o. View Post

Hi,
I have tried to watch my slide shows (on CD) on my set, and even if I set the screen to the smallest size, the picture is pure grain. Do I have to put them on DVD disc's? The file size is pretty large (between 3000 kb jpeg and 7000 kb or above each pic).
Any suggestions?
Thanks

What are you using to display the photos on the tv? I'm guessing you are using a DVD player, and if that is the case, the highest resolution it's going to be displaying will be 720x480 (DVD, SD resolution). To view them at the higher resolution that the set is capable of, you will need to either load them on a thumbdrive and use the USB port to browse/view teh files directly, or use an HD device for viewing them (Blu-Ray player that supports picture CD's, computer, etc).
post #13077 of 14886 Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post

What are you using to display the photos on the tv? I'm guessing you are using a DVD player, and if that is the case, the highest resolution it's going to be displaying will be 720x480 (DVD, SD resolution). To view them at the higher resolution that the set is capable of, you will need to either load them on a thumbdrive and use the USB port to browse/view teh files directly, or use an HD device for viewing them (Blu-Ray player that supports picture CD's, computer, etc).

Hi,
I am using a Sony DVD player with up_convert. Does that make any difference?
Also if I put the side show ( that would normally start on a DVD player ) on a thumbdrive and just put it into the TV usb slot will it play? or will I have to view them one at a time like a file?
I have no idea what will happen when I put the thumbdrive into the TV, do you have to go somewhere in the menu to get these files?

Thanks so much.
post #13078 of 14886 Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 PM

Not sure what you're 'slideshow' format is. I'm guessing it wasmade with DVD authornig software, and is, in fact, just a DVD video. If that is the case, even with 'up-convert', it's still starting as only 720x480. For the thumbdrive use, you have to cpoy the plain fils (jpg) onto the drive and then browse to them on the TV with remote.
post #13079 of 14886 Old 08-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post

Not sure what you're 'slideshow' format is. I'm guessing it wasmade with DVD authornig software, and is, in fact, just a DVD video. If that is the case, even with 'up-convert', it's still starting as only 720x480. For the thumbdrive use, you have to cpoy the plain fils (jpg) onto the drive and then browse to them on the TV with remote.

Thank You! I'll give several options a try. Perhaps hooking up my laptop will give me a better chance at getting a good result and keeping the slide show part working.
post #13080 of 14886 Old 08-27-2009, 07:10 PM

If you've got a laptop available, I'm certain it would give you the best results. Especially if it has an HDMI or DVI output. Even VGA would end up with a far better picture than your DVD is offering.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page