2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 469 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14041 of 14887 Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. They haven't called me yet, and they are almost past their supposed 48 hour window. If and when they do call, I'll try to confirm if they bring replacement assemblies, or capacitors, or if they would need a second visit..

VicW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14042 of 14887 Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM

The Service company that Samsung set up for my house call hadn't contacted me within 4 days to confirm an appointment, so I called them this morning. They called back this afternoon to schedule the visit next Thursday. That will be about 11 days from my request. I'm glad my problem hasn't taken down the set completely, but maybe if it had, they would have accelerated the call.

I did confirm with the rep that they carry replacement electrolytic capacitors with them, and will replace them at my home (assuming they meet their criteria, of course). After reviewing things a bit, I think it might have been just as easy to purchase the caps for $30-$40 and replace them on the main power and sub power boards myself, but I'll just cool my jets and try to be patient.

VicW
post #14043 of 14887 Old 03-11-2012, 08:16 AM

Just developed a single white dot and of course its annoying. Has anyone replaced the bulbs so to speak? Approximate cost?
post #14044 of 14887 Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Search this thread for "Red LED" and you will find lots of info about LED replacement. Approx cost is $100 (shipped) for a red LED. A bad LED will not cause a white spot on the screen - that is more likely to be a stuck mirror on the DLP chip.
post #14045 of 14887 Old 03-12-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaks View Post

For the last week or so, this happens when we turn on our tv HLT XX87. We then turn it off and back on in appx 1-2 minutes and then it works again until the next day. Any idea's on this problem?

Well I got a working TV again. I got new power boards and a new main board (Not a DMD board) and all is working well again for now. I do have a high number of hours on my Red led over 23,000 hours but like I said for now all is well.

From my recent experience with Samsung, I would look at another Samsung TV product.
post #14046 of 14887 Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 PM

i have a hlt6187sax/xaa that has developed a white dot issue. it has a few white dots and black dots and even some flashing white dots. from reading the forum here i'm guessing its the dlp chip? am i right on this? and how do i go about replacing this?
post #14047 of 14887 Old 03-13-2012, 01:47 AM

I have the HLT5689S and for the last couple of days I've had weird coloring when turning on the TV. It looks like it's running at 256 colors. Not sure what the correct term for that would be. If I turn the TV off and back on again, it usually goes away.
Anyone know which component would cause this? It has me worried that my set could be on the brink of a colossal failure, and if it's not a totally unreasonable price, would like to fix it.
post #14048 of 14887 Old 03-13-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post

Search this thread for "Red LED" and you will find lots of info about LED replacement. Approx cost is $100 (shipped) for a red LED. A bad LED will not cause a white spot on the screen - that is more likely to be a stuck mirror on the DLP chip.

Is this something I can resolve or do I need to bring someone in? I just picture giving the TV a wap on the side and all the mirrors flipping giving me a white screen. LOL

Appreciate any guidence offered.

5 years and its been flawless.
post #14049 of 14887 Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielist View Post

I have the HLT5689S and for the last couple of days I've had weird coloring when turning on the TV. It looks like it's running at 256 colors. Not sure what the correct term for that would be. If I turn the TV off and back on again, it usually goes away.
Anyone know which component would cause this? It has me worried that my set could be on the brink of a colossal failure, and if it's not a totally unreasonable price, would like to fix it.

Hard to say from your description but it COULD be a failing LED (typically red). When this happens, is there an absence of any red (or some other color) on the screen?
post #14050 of 14887 Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamabart View Post

Is this something I can resolve or do I need to bring someone in? I just picture giving the TV a wap on the side and all the mirrors flipping giving me a white screen. LOL

Appreciate any guidence offered.

5 years and its been flawless.

I've not heard of anyone replacing the DLP chip so I can't help you there. Not to say it can't be done - I just don't know of anyone who has done it. I suppose it could be as easy as popping out the old DLP chip and replacing it with a new one. Or, it could be far more involved if replacing the chip would then require realignment (convergence) of the screen.
post #14051 of 14887 Old 03-14-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post

Hard to say from your description but it COULD be a failing LED (typically red). When this happens, is there an absence of any red (or some other color) on the screen?

No. It dosent have an absence of one particular color. I've seen that happen before, with a failing red LED and this definitely dosent look like that.
Not saying its not the issue, but the symptom is quite different.
I'm on a mobile right now, so I can't give a perfect example, but the picture ends up looking similar to this...
LL
post #14052 of 14887 Old 03-14-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielist View Post

No. It dosent have an absence of one particular color. I've seen that happen before, with a failing red LED and this definitely dosent look like that.
Not saying its not the issue, but the symptom is quite different.
I'm on a mobile right now, so I can't give a perfect example, but the picture ends up looking similar to this...

You have very little color resolution. What does your menu's look like?

You should try the color purity tests, deep in the service menu..
post #14053 of 14887 Old 03-15-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamabart View Post

Just developed a single white dot and of course its annoying. Has anyone replaced the bulbs so to speak? Approximate cost?

I'm having the same issue with the single white dot issue.It's driving me nuts because it's right in the middle! Luckily I bought a warrentech warranty.I had the infamous red LED issue last year and the warranty paid for itself with absolutely no pain getting a tech out in a reasonable amount of time.So when I noticed the white pixel issue I simply placed another clain with warrantec the other day and a tech is schedule to come out tomorrow to replace the DMD chip which will cost me zilch.I also called samsung and the same tech is going to replace the capaciters and/or power board because my set is taking around 10- 15 seconds to turn on and it occasionally shuts itself off.I had no problem with samsungs 1800 number.I called this afternoon to create a service ticket so the tech could use so he could handle both problems on 1 trip. I'll post tomorrow if everything turned out as expected.Fingers crossed.
post #14054 of 14887 Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 PM

I had my service visit today for the cap issue. They had hold me the tech would replace all of the caps on site, but after the tech examined the set, he told me they only do that on LCDs. For DLP sets they replace the entire assemblies.

That was fine with me. But he only had the main supply with him, and the sub supply also needs to be replaced. They ordered a new sub supply, and will install both next Friday. I noticed that the sub power assy had the notorious SamWha capacitors. Four of the five were bulging at the top.

VicW
post #14055 of 14887 Old 03-16-2012, 01:18 PM

Does anyone have any info on replacing the dlp chip (or dmd chip whatever it is called). Trying to fix my white dot issue myself but I don't want to delve into it without knowing how.
post #14056 of 14887 Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM

Tech came today and replaced the DMD board(which I assume is easier to replace than just the chip) and a power board.No more white dot and no more tv clicking sounds when starting up.Life is good.
post #14057 of 14887 Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyominus View Post

Does anyone have any info on replacing the dlp chip (or dmd chip whatever it is called). Trying to fix my white dot issue myself but I don't want to delve into it without knowing how.

I was curious to see how much it would have cost me if I was to do it myself so I did a little research earlier in the week.I dont have any part numbers or costs handy but just do a search for DMD chip and scroll thru the posts.I was able to find a link to the service manual with the part number and the step by step instructions in one of them.I actually saw the board on ebay but I think it was missing the chip.So do your research.Good luck.
post #14058 of 14887 Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 PM

Well, I'm on my third issue with my 50" Samsung HLT5087S DLP. It won't even turn on anymore. After sticking about $750 into this TV I am calling it quits!! I really wish I hadn't put all this money and time into it now that I can buy a better TV for about $1000 now!

Good luck to all of you with similar TV's and the problems that have seem to come with them. I'm done, and moving onto a different brand. Hopefully better results ahead!
post #14059 of 14887 Old 03-23-2012, 08:03 PM

The Samsung tech made his second home visit today, armed with replacement power supplies to resolve bad capacitors. All done in short order, and everything seems normal so far.

Can't really complain about free repair of my 4+ year-old set, even if Samsung is just responding to a class action suit. It's the first time I benefited from one of these suits in a meaningful way, and while I normally agree with the charter of the original Georgia colony that banned lawyers, I guess I owe them a bit of thanks on this one, and a big thanks as always to the AV Science Forum. It's amazing how much the forum has helped me over the years, since I made my first venture into HD in 1998. The finest forum on the internet - plenty of expertise, and gracious help between members, with only an occasional minor snark.

Update 04/3/12: Replacement of the power supplies didn't really make any significant difference for my morning power up problems. About 50% of the time, I still experience long power up cycles, sometimes where it doesn't complete the cycle at all, and won't respond to the remote or local buttons, requiring me to pull power from the unit to restore normal operation.

VicW
post #14060 of 14887 Old 04-12-2012, 11:18 AM

I have the HLT5689S with the capacitor problem. Called Samsung.. The repair guy called and set up an appt. actually rather quickly. When he came out he had the entire board that he was going to replace. It actually was the wrong part number so he couldn't fix the TV. I thought just great.. He told me he would call with a new date.... Well, Samsung just called... The board is backordered with nothing coming...GREAT!! Then they actually offered me a replacement TV.. The UN55ES6100F LED TV... It would cost me $650... They would pick up mine and give me the new one for that price.. Hmmmmm.. Now does anyone know if this is a good TV?? Guess I'll go check out the forums....
post #14061 of 14887 Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Can you get the part yourself and have them reimburse you for the cost plus free installation?

Any clue what part number that board uses? I bet you can find one.

PS - decent enough TV based on reviews from Amazon, but I love the LED DLP sets. Plus they are 3d Ready and the replacement isn't. Why $650, that seems like too much.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55ES.../dp/B007B9PP1C
post #14062 of 14887 Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM

The rep said that the part was backordered from the factory. So, I don't think I would be able to get one either. They didn't know when it would be available again either..

I also noticed that the replacement isn't 3D either. I'm going to call her back and tell her about the 3D ready... Maybe they will upgrade the replacement to one that is actually 3D... I'll post back when I find out...
post #14063 of 14887 Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstang89 View Post

The rep said that the part was backordered from the factory. So, I don't think I would be able to get one either. They didn't know when it would be available again either..

Yes it may be back ordered from the factory but that doesn't mean a parts supply house, of which there are many, doesn't still have one in stock they will sell you.
post #14064 of 14887 Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM

Just got off the phone with Samsung... with mine being 3D ready, they will give me the UN55ES6500F version for the same price.. basically the same, just the 3D version.. I'll probably go with that.. Thinking a brand new LED TV for $650 that runs about $1900 online. Then I don't have to deal with any other problems with this 5689S...
post #14065 of 14887 Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Last weekend my Samsung 61" DLP suddenly lost red. I thought about just replacing it, but my husband just wrapped up his contracting job so I don't have that kind of play money anymore. I started searching, and it didn't take long to find you guys, since this is apparently a really common problem. Mine died with only 9000 hours.
I just wanted to tell you all how much you helped me - I ordered the part, the Arctic Silver, and found the service manual (which I really didn't need as it turned out). Everything showed up yesterday, and this morning I just jumped in and replaced it, and my red is back! Thank you all so much!!
post #14066 of 14887 Old 04-21-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl View Post

Last weekend my Samsung 61" DLP suddenly lost red. I thought about just replacing it, but my husband just wrapped up his contracting job so I don't have that kind of play money anymore. I started searching, and it didn't take long to find you guys, since this is apparently a really common problem. Mine died with only 9000 hours.
I just wanted to tell you all how much you helped me - I ordered the part, the Arctic Silver, and found the service manual (which I really didn't need as it turned out). Everything showed up yesterday, and this morning I just jumped in and replaced it, and my red is back! Thank you all so much!!

Congratulations on your success. It takes some kind of courage to dive into the LED replacement and get it done. I replaced mine a few months ago, but tormented and studied about it before finally doing it. Also, welcome to the forum.

VicW
post #14067 of 14887 Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 PM

I have a 6187 that i bought for $100 today . The color on this tv is blinking .The color will be perfect for a couple of seconds Then it will turn blue/greenish . then back to perfect . and continues this pattern . I thought it was the red led and i bought one . took the tv apart and the red led was not bad . I have the capacitor issue on i think the main power board . Could this cause the issue i am describing ?
post #14068 of 14887 Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnguy View Post

I have a 6187 that i bought for $100 today . The color on this tv is blinking .The color will be perfect for a couple of seconds Then it will turn blue/greenish . then back to perfect . and continues this pattern . I thought it was the red led and i bought one . took the tv apart and the red led was not bad . I have the capacitor issue on i thunk the main power board . Could this cause the issue i am describing ?

No,what your decribing is a LED issue.You probably got a bad blue or green LED issue.I had the same issue. REd went out completely and the green would blink on and off leaving a blue image.Might as well open it up again and replace the other 2 LEDs so you dont have to deal with it again.$100 bucks is a Sweet deal, even if you needed to spent an extra couple hundred for parts.
post #14069 of 14887 Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnguy View Post

I have the capacitor issue on i thunk the main power board . Could this cause the issue i am describing ?

If you actually visually have bad capacitors anywhere in your set, I'd fix that first and see what the results are. There's no telling how problems caused by bad caps might manifest themselves.
post #14070 of 14887 Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 PM

got samsung coming out to fix my bad capacitor issue on Wednesday so i decided to put the tv back together . After it was a back together i decided for fun turn it back on and lo a behold it now works perfectly !!! been using it all weekend and hasnt messed up since . $100 heck of a deal for a sweet tv . Only other issue i have with the set is that it seams to have a slight redish tint to everything . All colors are there not an led issue . Have been messing with different settings all weekend . this is most noticeable when watching hockey . (GO CAPS !!!) the white ice is just a bit red . anyone else have this problem ?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page