2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 498 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #14911 of 14925 Old 01-18-2015, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyr5 View Post
Same here - flashing LED's, replaced caps, still flashing, but the TV works perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwflorida View Post
Yes, here's how I fixed my HL-T6187.
First, a TV Tech replaced the swollen caps on the power supply board. I don't know the part number, but it's the one on the right, looking at the back of the set.
However, that did not stop the flashing LEDs, so the Tech pulled the other power supply board, part number BP44-01001C, the one on the left side, and he noticed that it appeared "burned" like it might have been hit by an electrical surge.
That board's discontinued and was not easy to find, but I kept searching online and finally got one from AllProTVParts.com.
The Tech installed it today, and the LEDs are no longer flashing, and the sudden shut-off problem has gone away too.
I think that replacing both those power supply boards should probably fix your set too.
I have the same power board BP44-01001C. Pulled it and caps looked OK, but still had the flashing lights. I found one on fleabay a couple of weeks ago. Guy was selling it as an untested pull from a broken TV. I took a chance and got it. Put it in my HLT5087 and NO MORE FLASHING LIGHTS.
I had already replaced the caps on the sub-power board a few months ago. I will now replace the caps on the main power board that I removed and hopefully have a good spare.

Happy Camper now.

UPDATE - I checked the caps on the board that I removed and the 22uf 400v cap was dead. I just replaced it and will check to see if it works (see arrow). I have found that it is this cap or the two large ones in the lower left (470uf 200v) that go bad and need replacement. The ones on the far right are on the "cold" or low voltage side of the board and usually don't fail.

Last edited by randyr5; 01-25-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14912 of 14925 Old 01-19-2015, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all! It's been a few years since I've been on these boards. I'm one of the fortunate HLT61 & 5687s owners that had almost flawless use. I replaced the DLP chip in my 61 about a 1.5 yrs ago after noticing the white dots. My 56 has been perfect *knocks on wood*...

Anyway, last week I noticed a weird issue with my 61. Fiance went to turn on the TV and received a green pixelated - almost white noise looking - image. Initially I thought it was our Onkyo receiver, so I disconnected everything, reconnected, and a couple restarts and everything worked again. I chalked it up to a loose HDMI cable. Well today it did it again.

After today's issue I decided to try and narrow it down better. Ultimately, I determined it was the TV/HDMI input that is causing the problem. Unfortunately I did not snap a photo, but I will next time. I ended up just unplugging the TV from the outlet and everything worked again no issues. As of now, I'm not really going to worry about but wanted to know if any other owners have experienced this problem? If so, what is the cause?
post #14913 of 14925 Old 02-16-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlou View Post
You need to replace the DLP chip. That one dot will rapidly become many dots. If you do it yourself, the chip is around $180. Replacing it isn't difficult if you've ever replaced a computer CPU, and there is a step by step video located someplace in this thread and on YouTube.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Mitsub...cm_cr-mr-title

I have an HLT-6187S.. i too just noticed a white dot appearing in the lower center of the screen..

Anyone know if this link (dlp chip) is the same for my model.. I also looked on shopjimmy and they seem to have a few hlt-6187S versions, not sure why..

Thanks in advance

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy: http://flight-stew.com
post #14914 of 14925 Old 02-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just finished installing a new T.I. DMD chip in my 2007 HLT6187 set and now have my beautiful TV back. I bought the SHOPJIMMY replacement chip via Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This generation set is very easy, as compared to some of the videos I've seen here over the past couple of years. Some of them had many screws removed, whereas this gen set it's the four screws holding the metal shield, remove the shield, then the eight screws holding the large metal casting on the PCB - 4 regular machine screws and 4 that are spring loaded. That's it! Now I have my TV back that has better PQ than any LCD that I see in stores. When the Quantum Dot enabled LCD's are available, I'll likely buy one, as the color gamut will be as good as OLED, which still has HUGE manufacturability (at reasonable cost) issues.

BTW, I checked the electrolytic caps that are going bad on so many sets, and mine all look like new. However, my set has only a max of 2 or 3 hours a average since September 2007.

If you have stuck pixels, you CAN DO THIS.
post #14915 of 14925 Old 03-17-2015, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I just finished installing a new T.I. DMD chip in my 2007 HLT6187 set and now have my beautiful TV back. I bought the SHOPJIMMY replacement chip via Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This generation set is very easy, as compared to some of the videos I've seen here over the past couple of years. Some of them had many screws removed, whereas this gen set it's the four screws holding the metal shield, remove the shield, then the eight screws holding the large metal casting on the PCB - 4 regular machine screws and 4 that are spring loaded. That's it! Now I have my TV back that has better PQ than any LCD that I see in stores. When the Quantum Dot enabled LCD's are available, I'll likely buy one, as the color gamut will be as good as OLED, which still has HUGE manufacturability (at reasonable cost) issues.

BTW, I checked the electrolytic caps that are going bad on so many sets, and mine all look like new. However, my set has only a max of 2 or 3 hours a average since September 2007.

If you have stuck pixels, you CAN DO THIS.
My dad just gave me his 61" DLP (somewhat similar to my own) because he didn't want to do what would have been the 3rd or 4th repair on his set which has a 3" tall black bar near the bottom of the screen. he bought a Vizio 4K 60" set from Costco. I can't stand the look of any LCD TV and don't know what I will do when my DLP gives up the ghost. I think OLED will be the only thing I might like (I saw the LG a couple years ago when it was over $10k, and I loved it), but cost is a factor, esp given the size I want--I want my next TV to be around 70-75".
post #14916 of 14925 Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 PM

OLED is not just expensive, there are firmware issues with the current sets, per another AVS thread. When quantum dot sets arrive at stores, check them out.
post #14917 of 14925 Old 03-17-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
OLED is not just expensive, there are firmware issues with the current sets, per another AVS thread. When quantum dot sets arrive at stores, check them out.
I've read a bit about QD TV's and they sound intriguing but aren't there just a couple of QD mfgrs slated to introduce models this year; Sammy being one of them?
post #14918 of 14925 Old 03-17-2015, 02:05 PM

There are 2 main QD manufacturers, Nanosys being one of them. But, the QD's have to be encapsulated between film layers - very special film. QD's, like OLED's, can't be exposed to air or moisture. Then the film product is put on the LCD panels during TV manufacture. There's mention of the film in a paper on Nanosys' web site.
post #14919 of 14925 Old 03-21-2015, 01:26 PM

Recently had the red go out on my hlt5687sx. I ordered a new chip and installed it but the red is still missing. Any ideas as to what else may be the issue?
post #14920 of 14925 Old 03-21-2015, 01:51 PM

jalaniz77,
You can test both the old and new LED by briefly putting a 9V battery across the terminals, to rule out them being the problem. Make sure you get the polarity correct. Also, be cautioned that it could be quite bright.
post #14921 of 14925 Old 04-17-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My set has been perfect up till this week. Now I have one white dot in the middle of the screen about 9 inches from the bottom. Seems like I am not alone. I am not sure I have the skill to replace the DLP chip. The pixel is annoying and I can't live with it. Sounds like $200 and a leap of faith to get my flawless picture back.

Also, it seems slower to turn on now as well. Like it blinks three times and struggles to start but it once it does it plays fine (minus the one white dot). Is this all DLP chip related weirdness?

Thanks!
post #14922 of 14925 Old 04-18-2015, 03:43 AM

nickels55,
The white dot is a bad DLP chip (I replaced mine recently for the same reason).
The slow turn on is maybe bad caps or something else.
post #14923 of 14925 Old 04-18-2015, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

My stuck pixel fixed itself. I am sure that it will return sooner or later. For now, the TV is back to normal.

EDIT- a week later... and its back. Time to order the DLP chip and watch the YouTube video on replacing it.

Last edited by nickels55; 04-25-2015 at 06:41 AM.
post #14924 of 14925 Old 04-30-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

My DLP Chip is on order from Shop Jimmy - cost about $190 shipped, plus another $8 for the Arctic silver thermal paste. I have watched the video and have the service manual. My confidence is high, although I am expecting that some of the steps are tricky the first time doing them. I looked through the manual quickly but didn't see any sections on replacing the DLP chip. Anyone know what pages in the manual cover this procedure? Thanks!
post #14925 of 14925 Old Today, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

DLP Chip successfully replaced. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the most difficult) I'd call this a 3. Just make sure to take your time and carefully undo all the connections and redo them when you are done. Everything seems back to normal, the picture is still stunning, and the geometry hasn't changed at all. Just like new! I gave the TV a good vacuuming while I was in there. Here's hoping the set now lasts for at least another 5 years problem free. *crosses fingers*
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Tv Lamp Bp96 01795a For Samsung Hlt5076s Hlt5676s Hlt6176s Hlt6176sx Hlt6176 Hlt5676sx Xaa Hlt5076wx
Gear in this thread - 01795a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page