Samsung DLP shutting off. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-12-2007, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone, I have a 2 year old 50 inch Samsung DLP that shuts off on its own. I had experienced this problem over a year ago and the Sears repairman didn't know what it was so all he did was just replace the lamp. Well I only used the TV another few weeks when I moved in with a friend and kept it stored in a spare room for 9 months. 2 months after I moved and started using it again, it started shutting off again. Anyone experience this with Samsung DLP and know what it is or how to fix it? I don't have a warranty on it anymore so fixing it will be out of pocket for me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-13-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone see this problem before? Thanks.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Yes. Use the owner's thread for you model for advise.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-14-2007, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry, I don't know where that is.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-14-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyOR View Post

I'm sorry, I don't know where that is.

What model do you own?

There are HLM (2002), HLN (2003), HLP (2004), HLR (2005), HLS (2006) and now HLT for 2007.

Before 2005 all models were 720p. Starting in 2005 1080p models were added. Then in 2006 LED models were also added.

Your Samsung is a RPTV model if it's DLP so the forum for threads devoted to various models of RPTV sets is this one.

Rear Projection Units

The owners thread for your TV will be somewhere in that list. If you post your model number I'll probably be able to point you directly to your owner's thread.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi everyone, I have a 2 year old 50 inch Samsung DLP that shuts off on its own. I had experienced this problem over a year ago and the Sears repairman didn't know what it was so all he did was just replace the lamp. Well I only used the TV another few weeks when I moved in with a friend and kept it stored in a spare room for 9 months. 2 months after I moved and started using it again, it started shutting off again. Anyone experience this with Samsung DLP and know what it is or how to fix it? I don't have a warranty on it anymore so fixing it will be out of pocket for me. Thanks.

You must observe the leds on the front of the set, and when it shuts down, look at these leds, the stanby/temp led is red, and the timer led is green, the lamp led is green, once you can determine that, then soon as it shuts down, try to turn the set back on immediatley, if the remote control turns the set back on then it is probably the DMD board, if the set cannot be turned back on then it's the main board, either one of these parts are very expensive for older models, post the exact model number and the version code, I can tell you the cost
post #7 of 15 Old 04-18-2007, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's an HLP model. The remote control CAN'T turn the set back on. It flashes "lamp" in green a lot. I have a repairman coming on Tuesday. How much is it gonna set me back? Considering this TV hasn't even been used THAT much, I'm not sure i'll buy a Samsung again. I've had RPTV's that are still going after years and years. I'm bummed.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

I had this problem with the HLP and needed the lamp AND the ballast replaced. Never happened again.

Cush
post #9 of 15 Old 04-19-2007, 12:52 PM

I have a similar problem for a while now with my HLP.It happens about once a month that some time in the first 5 minutes of watching it will turn itself off.The remote will turn it back on and wont happen again that nite.I have the Sears extended warranty until July and the problem was so intermittent that I wasn't in any big hurry.
So I finally got Sears there-I stupidly forgot to note the flashing lite pattern and of course it didn't do it while he was there and of course it did it right off that nite!Anyways both the green and red lights flash at the same time.Sears ordered a lamp-we shall see.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-19-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Considering this TV hasn't even been used THAT much, I'm not sure i'll buy a Samsung again. I've had RPTV's that are still going after years and years. I'm bummed.

You should note that in 2004, DLP's were relatively new to the market. For the most part, any new technology is going to take a few years to become more stable and reliable. I'm assuming your other rear projection TV's were not DLP, and before DLP the main kind (only kind, if im not mistaken) was CRT. CRT technology has been around since TeleVision was invented......so needless to say, CRT has had quite some time to be built with better reliability. All I'm saying is that I think this could have happened to any DLP, not just Samsung......especially if it ends up being a ballast issue (they're in ALL bulb-based DLP sets.....and yes, this would be expensive ).
post #11 of 15 Old 04-23-2007, 07:16 AM

I have a simular problem, I have a HL-R6156W it turns on and then the Lamp Light blinks like it is gona start the fans come on and the lamp lights for a second, then it shuts off. It then trys to restart 3 times then gives up and blinks the 3 led lights like the lamp is bad. The question I have is weather it is a bad lamp, or is it a DMD board. Maybe the power board? I have looked inside and most boards look like they can be easily replaced and I have priced out different boards but i don't know which one is bad. Any IDEAS????? Thanks
post #12 of 15 Old 09-15-2007, 10:17 PM

I had the same problem with my Samsung DLP. It was turning off 1-3 times a day and driving me crazy. I read in some other posts to make sure the door where the bulb is located was closed tightly, so I opened it and re-closed it, then held it down tight while I tightened the screw very snug.

That did the trick. I'm now on the 4th day and the TV hasn't turned off once yet!
post #13 of 15 Old 09-16-2007, 03:51 AM

I'm having the exact same problem with my HLP6163W. The TV will turn off randomly sometimes after 5 min, sometimes after 5 hours.
I've owned mine for a little over 2 years but luckily I purchased the extended warranty.

What would the cost be to fix something like that? Would BB bother fixing it or would they just give me a new TV?

The only reason I ask is because my TV lags with games I have an excuse to void my warranty (found this out 6 months after I had my TV, long story) and get an in store credit for the price of my TV ($3400 CDN). I have an itch to upgrade.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-07-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysaguaro View Post

I had the same problem with my Samsung DLP. It was turning off 1-3 times a day and driving me crazy. I read in some other posts to make sure the door where the bulb is located was closed tightly, so I opened it and re-closed it, then held it down tight while I tightened the screw very snug.

That did the trick. I'm now on the 4th day and the TV hasn't turned off once yet!

Same problem open and reclosed it 8 months running
post #15 of 15 Old 10-07-2007, 11:56 AM

Well I had a repair guy come look at my TV and the problem turned out to be a little cheap switch. When you open the back panel of the TV you'll notice it right away.
He said he replaces them all the time, usually every 2-3 years on TV's because they corrode. I assumed that the contact would be gold coated to prevent corrosion but the new one appeared to be silver in color. Unless they're gold and then tinned.
Either way just a heads up if you're TV shuts off and you can turn it on right away with the remote or main button. If you have a multimeter just check for resistance across the switch, there should be none.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page