Panasonic LIFI powered sets now available *NO Price talk* - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 759 Old 10-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It don't matter to me if you guy's buy this set or not, just give you my opinion,after messing around with this set (PT-61LCZ70) for most of a month now,after seeing what it can and can't do, I would not give $1000. for this set, but like i said , just my opinion.
yes, in my opinion you can get much better sets for $1500/$2000, but hey if you like this set , buy it, your be the one watching it, not C-net, not me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 759 Old 10-06-2007, 12:27 AM

I love the CNET reviews. That doesn't mean I don't use my own eyes in the store. But it is an excellent resource, much better than CR in my opinion. And unlike CR, it's free. I can't complain. As someone said, they rate everything against the best they've seen and don't take money into account. Personally, I prefer this. I look more at the specifics in the review rather than the score. This way, when they comment about a negative aspect, then that's an area I can focus on in the store to see if it bothers me.

That being said they are still rated on an even keel. The Samsung was also compared to $4000 sets. I already the thought the LED has better picture. Most of the problems they mentioned were things I noticed, like the bluing (grayish to my eyes) uniformity issues. I also saw the banding they mentioned on white field in store (on hockey ice or something) but I threw that in with the uniformity. I thought color would score better, but they did mention skin tones looked accurate and that's the primary way I judged in store. Besides I tend to prefer a cooler picture (although I usually set to warm to get better skin tones). They said hot-spot not as bad as Sammy. I agree as I thought it was a little better off-angle than LED. So I think rating it a point lower than the Samsung is fair, going by my own observations.

Remember, PQ is their main thing. Personally I think the the LIFI feels and looks more solidly built. CNET basically said the design didn't look fancy. I agree Sammy is prettier, but prefer the solid look myself. Doubt they add that into their score anyway. One more negative for LIFI, for me, was the remote/sensor seemed finicky. Everyone I tried, you have to point remote just so to get it to respond. Anyone else notice this?

More interesting to me is the "theoretical 100,000 hour life" of the LIFI bulb. Anyone think that's possible? I would bet LED could go that long barring other problems. I don't know enough about LIFI to even guess though. Perhaps the "microwave" part would fail before the actual bulb? Also, they said it should be $300 to replace when Panasonic clearly lists the part at $700. And that's without labor. And no matter if it is easy, it's not "user replaceable", so they won't just send you one.

And yes, not close to 360 watts. But that's what always happens- why I was waiting for the review. LED is also much lower than the 230 watts Samsung lists. Anyway, they appear to be a wash (when calibrated) after you factor in it was only a 56in LED they tested. At least watts/sq in was near identical. Great news to me. I'm still deciding. The Sammy is about $400 more with best deals I'm seeing (going 56in for both).
post #183 of 759 Old 10-06-2007, 01:59 AM

I just purchased the new Lifi set and was just wondering if anyone could share what has worked for them, has anyone followed CNET's settings and been satisfied? Both picture and audio settings. Any help would be appreciated, thanks alot!
post #184 of 759 Old 10-06-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glunner View Post

I just purchased the new Lifi set and was just wondering if anyone could share what has worked for them, has anyone followed CNET's settings and been satisfied? Both picture and audio settings. Any help would be appreciated, thanks alot!

I tried CNET's recommendations for settings. They must have been high on something because their settings look very very bad. When you dial it in to their specs, it looks like they tried to make the picture look terrible. Horrible, horrible. I just have it set on "standard" right now, which looks pretty good.

I am going to get a calibration disc today, I'll post and let you know how it goes.
post #185 of 759 Old 10-06-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger2131 View Post

I love the CNET reviews. That doesn't mean I don't use my own eyes in the store. But it is an excellent resource, much better than CR in my opinion. And unlike CR, it's free. I can't complain. As someone said, they rate everything against the best they've seen and don't take money into account. Personally, I prefer this. I look more at the specifics in the review rather than the score. This way, when they comment about a negative aspect, then that's an area I can focus on in the store to see if it bothers me.

That being said they are still rated on an even keel. The Samsung was also compared to $4000 sets. I already the thought the LED has better picture. Most of the problems they mentioned were things I noticed, like the bluing (grayish to my eyes) uniformity issues. I also saw the banding they mentioned on white field in store (on hockey ice or something) but I threw that in with the uniformity. I thought color would score better, but they did mention skin tones looked accurate and that's the primary way I judged in store. Besides I tend to prefer a cooler picture (although I usually set to warm to get better skin tones). They said hot-spot not as bad as Sammy. I agree as I thought it was a little better off-angle than LED. So I think rating it a point lower than the Samsung is fair, going by my own observations.

Remember, PQ is their main thing. Personally I think the the LIFI feels and looks more solidly built. CNET basically said the design didn't look fancy. I agree Sammy is prettier, but prefer the solid look myself. Doubt they add that into their score anyway. One more negative for LIFI, for me, was the remote/sensor seemed finicky. Everyone I tried, you have to point remote just so to get it to respond. Anyone else notice this?

More interesting to me is the "theoretical 100,000 hour life" of the LIFI bulb. Anyone think that's possible? I would bet LED could go that long barring other problems. I don't know enough about LIFI to even guess though. Perhaps the "microwave" part would fail before the actual bulb? Also, they said it should be $300 to replace when Panasonic clearly lists the part at $700. And that's without labor. And no matter if it is easy, it's not "user replaceable", so they won't just send you one.

And yes, not close to 360 watts. But that's what always happens- why I was waiting for the review. LED is also much lower than the 230 watts Samsung lists. Anyway, they appear to be a wash (when calibrated) after you factor in it was only a 56in LED they tested. At least watts/sq in was near identical. Great news to me. I'm still deciding. The Sammy is about $400 more with best deals I'm seeing (going 56in for both).

I'm wondering if prices for parts and the tv itself will drop in the near future. I'm guessing the will. Remember that this just came out in August. It's the very first model of LIFI.
post #186 of 759 Old 10-06-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanadu1979 View Post

I'll ask again, what do you suggest I buy then? I can't afford a $2k TV.

An excellent question I have been asking myself lately. I don't know your limit and the reason why you are looking for a new TV set. So let me assume that it is XXXX, tax and all, and that you HAVE to buy a new set NOW. This may shock you and Testosterone: run to Sears today and get the Panasonic. IMO there is nothing better out there in terms of picture and the Sears bottom line price. Don't overlook the $250 off the sale price if you use their credit card. It doesn't get any better.

Further, Testosterone may be right about the PQ once you bring set home. Just like most guy shouldn't go a muscle beach to look for a date, lack of an immediate side-by-side reference may help you decide that what you see is good enough.

The reason why I didn't follow the advice I just gave you is this: my HD (32 inch CRT Samsung) has the most perfect picture you could imagine. The worst SD Comcast channel looks like HD. There is not a single thing I could complain about, PQ-wise. Except the size: I want a 60inch box for the movies. I sometimes wish the thing would just die one day so I would be forced to buy a replacement.

My frustration with Panasonic is that after all that waiting since the announcement earlier this year about LIFI, they finally unvailed something that, at $2200 list price, just can't compete on the TV beach. When an extra $500 buys the world's best RPTV, kds60a3000, Panasonic has a problem. Unless the price is reduced to what Sears wants today.

As a I posted elsewhere, LIFI looks like a winner. Beside instant ON, according to the VP of manufacturing at LUXIM, the company that makes LIFI module, the lamp expected life should be on par with any circuit board which is like saying that it is very long. Also, the brightness should be constant over the life of the lamp - whatever that is - as opposed to a slow decay typical of the user-replaceable lamps (no metal is vaporized and deposited on the glass as there are no metal electrodes inside the bulb - just gas).

Here is the bottom line: at XXXX plus tax it's a winner if you can live with imperfect whites and blacks. At 2200 it is not. Go get it and enjoy it.
post #187 of 759 Old 10-06-2007, 08:57 AM

I'm not sure if I told you guys, but I got my PT-61LCZ70 for XXXX bucks. $XXXX for a 61 inch 1080p tv is a killer deal regardless of the flaws. That's 1000 bucks off. It don't get better than that!
post #188 of 759 Old 10-06-2007, 09:29 AM

how did you manage that deal? XXXX bucks for the 61".
post #189 of 759 Old 10-06-2007, 10:53 AM

xanadu1979,

It sounds like you're like me and don't want to spend a fortune on a big tv. I highly recommend that you purchase one on Ebay. Read my above post. Honestly, I have had absolutely no problems with the one that I got off ebay.
post #190 of 759 Old 10-07-2007, 09:25 PM

Ok guys, I've been really working on calibrating this tv to get the most out of it. Black levels and whites are an issue with this tv as well as overall brightness of the lamp.

What I had to do is manipulate the lamp a little. Even though it's usually recommended to have certain picture "enhancments" to be turned off, I messed with them anyways and it turned out very good for this tv.

I increased the black extension in order to get some deeper, more rich blacks. By doing this however, there is a big loss in what you can see obviously. I didn't want to mess with the brightness either because that would throw the calibrated accuracy that I went through with the video essentials dvd. So I turned on the "Al picture" on and up to mid. This way it brings out some of the picture that was lost when turning the black extension to +5. I think I've succeded in getting a lot more out of this tv. It really gives it more depth, and makes the picture look more crisp, brighter and more clear as well which was kind of an issue. To me, before it looked a little "hazy".

It all sounds confusing I know, so here are the settings. Try them out and tell me what you think. Keep in mind that you have to make adjustments for each specific input: HDMI, Component, TV, etc.

Custom

Lamp +20

Picture +18

Brightness +5

Color -2

Tint +1

Sharpness +10

Color Temp normal

Color Mgmt on

Al Picture on

Pro Setting

Al Brightness mid

Black Extension +5

W/B high R 0

W/B high B 0

W/B low R 0

W/B low B 0

Video NR off

Block NR off

Mosquito NR off

3:2 Pulldown on
post #191 of 759 Old 10-08-2007, 04:41 PM

looks good test!!!! thanks alot!
post #192 of 759 Old 10-08-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:

looks good test!!!! thanks alot!

Good, I'm glad you're happy.

Just curious, are you running an HD DVD player with HDMI?

The Ant Bully in HD looks phenomonal on it.
post #193 of 759 Old 10-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

An excellent question I have been asking myself lately. I don't know your limit and the reason why you are looking for a new TV set. So let me assume that it is 1500, tax and all, and that you HAVE to buy a new set NOW. This may shock you and Testosterone: run to Sears today and get the Panasonic. IMO there is nothing better out there in terms of picture and the Sears bottom line price. Don't overlook the $250 off the sale price if you use their credit card. It doesn't get any better.

Further, Testosterone may be right about the PQ once you bring set home. Just like most guy shouldn't go a muscle beach to look for a date, lack of an immediate side-by-side reference may help you decide that what you see is good enough.

The reason why I didn't follow the advice I just gave you is this: my HD (32 inch CRT Samsung) has the most perfect picture you could imagine. The worst SD Comcast channel looks like HD. There is not a single thing I could complain about, PQ-wise. Except the size: I want a 60inch box for the movies. I sometimes wish the thing would just die one day so I would be forced to buy a replacement.

My frustration with Panasonic is that after all that waiting since the announcement earlier this year about LIFI, they finally unvailed something that, at $2200 list price, just can't compete on the TV beach. When an extra $500 buys the world's best RPTV, kds60a3000, Panasonic has a problem. Unless the price is reduced to what Sears wants today.

As a I posted elsewhere, LIFI looks like a winner. Beside instant ON, according to the VP of manufacturing at LUXIM, the company that makes LIFI module, the lamp expected life should be on par with any circuit board which is like saying that it is very long. Also, the brightness should be constant over the life of the lamp - whatever that is - as opposed to a slow decay typical of the user-replaceable lamps (no metal is vaporized and deposited on the glass as there are no metal electrodes inside the bulb - just gas).

Here is the bottom line: at 1250 plus tax it's a winner if you can live with imperfect whites and blacks. At 2200 it is not. Go get it and enjoy it.

I got news for you, the Sony a-3000 is not the world's best RPTV, maybe in your opinion, not sure not mind, Sony is not head and tails above the others.
and even thou i did not like the LIFI, I still would buy it over the LED Sam's and it's not like the blacks are so great on the LED set's.
If these guys are happy with the LIFI sets, this is what matters, if you don't like these sets fine, but the fact that you and I don't like this set does not mean it's a bad set, as you can see, some do like these sets, and it's nothing wrong with that. you buy with you like ,and they will buy what they like.
post #194 of 759 Old 10-08-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbowerts View Post

I got news for you, the Sony a-3000 is not the world's best RPTV, maybe in your opinion, not sure not mind, Sony is not head and tails above the others.
and even thou i did not like the LIFI, I still would buy it over the LED Sam's and it's not like the blacks are so great on the LED set's.
If these guys are happy with the LIFI sets, this is what matters, if you don't like these sets fine, but the fact that you and I don't like this set does not mean it's a bad set, as you can see, some do like these sets, and it's nothing wrong with that. you buy with you like ,and they will buy what they like.

I am not trying persuade anyone about anything. Some like blonds, some like brunettes. However, the naked fact is that in a direct competition against Sony or Mitsu, Panasonic is a loser. Sure you can adjust it until it is acceptable. The fact remains that today just plain LCD RPTV just can't compete. This was the state-of-art 5 years ago. Remember Hitachi? Panasonic has only two things going for it: long lasting lamp and instant ON. A good indicator how marginal Panasonics are is how retailers set them up: always at the end od the scale of what control brightness and contrast. At the same time and under identical (and very normal) conditions both Sony KDF50A3000 and Mitsu 734 were smack in the middle of the range for the best picture. The apologists will always claim that the showrooms are bad and people who work there are idiots. Then how come Sony sets look so damn good?

BTW, if you know a better RPTV than KDS60A3000, please let me know what it is. Samsung is a joke with a smiling face, Toshiba is out, JVC blows lamps and turns green, Mitsubishi has a spinning wheel with a rainbow, no spare parts and the picture gives people headaches (literally).

I do admit that Panasonic is on the right track with LIFI. All they need is more light and an iris. Maybe next year.
post #195 of 759 Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:

I am not trying persuade anyone about anything. Some like blonds, some like brunettes. However, the naked fact is that in a direct competition against Sony or Mitsu, Panasonic is a loser. Sure you can adjust it until it is acceptable. The fact remains that today just plain LCD RPTV just can't compete. This was the state-of-art 5 years ago. Remember Hitachi? Panasonic has only two things going for it: long lasting lamp and instant ON. A good indicator how marginal Panasonics are is how retailers set them up: always at the end od the scale of what control brightness and contrast. At the same time and under identical (and very normal) conditions both Sony KDF50A3000 and Mitsu 734 were smack in the middle of the range for the best picture. The apologists will always claim that the showrooms are bad and people who work there are idiots. Then how come Sony sets look so damn good?

BTW, if you know a better RPTV than KDS60A3000, please let me know what it is. Samsung is a joke with a smiling face, Toshiba is out, JVC blows lamps and turns green, Mitsubishi has a spinning wheel with a rainbow, no spare parts and the picture gives people headaches (literally).

I do admit that Panasonic is on the right track with LIFI. All they need is more light and an iris. Maybe next year.

The way I have the Lifi dialed right now, it looks awesome. I'm not sure how much time you spent adjusting the Lifi set, but you're right, it looks terrible without adjusting it. I got pretty good blacks out of it and the whites are a lot better than they were. Honestly, when I watch this set with HD DVD's in 1080p, I have NO complaints, the picture looks flawless. Maybe if a Sony was sitting next to it, the Sony might look better.

I don't care because I paid 1200 bucks for a 61 inch 1080p tv that looks amazing.......
post #196 of 759 Old 10-08-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testosterone View Post

The way I have the Lifi dialed right now, it looks awesome. I'm not sure how much time you spent adjusting the Lifi set, but you're right, it looks terrible without adjusting it. I got pretty good blacks out of it and the whites are a lot better than they were. Honestly, when I watch this set with HD DVD's in 1080p, I have NO complaints, the picture looks flawless. Maybe if a Sony was sitting next to it, the Sony might look better.

I don't care because I paid 1200 bucks for a 61 inch 1080p tv that looks amazing.......

I really appreciate your input and will try to replicate your setup on my next visit to ABT. If it looks OK I might actually buy it next time Sears has it on sale.
post #197 of 759 Old 10-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would agree with you, that these panasonic sets can't stand up to the new Sony's and Mit's (my opinion) all i was saying if these guys are happy with their sets, this is what matters, and they may think we've full of it, it's all about opinion.
I did not say you could find a better set than the Sony( some would), what I'm saying it's other's just as good, i think the Mit's look just as good, PQ every bit as good as the Sonys in my opinion, and not every Sony i see in every showroom (be it the A-3000 or whatever) looks so damn good , most times they( Mit and Sony) look about the same in showrooms to me , sometimes the Mit looks bettter ,sometimes the Sony, over all i like the PQ of the 833 better than the A-3000 Sony, and you can get pretty of opinions that go's both ways. Yes some see the RBE on DLP sets, but it is a very small % that do, if you do ,buy the sony, but I've read where some that do , still stays with their mit, and puts up with it ,as they still think the PQ is better, and by the way , i don't get headaches watching DLp sets, and pretty of others as will. so it all comes down to opinion, i think the Mit and Sony are dead even( the A-3000 Sony and 833 Mit) and with them being dead even , I went with the Mit, for better over all looking set, and the bigger size (65" and 73"). if price is the issue in buying a set , then the LIFI has some of the best prices for sure!
post #198 of 759 Old 10-08-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:

I really appreciate your input and will try to replicate your setup on my next visit to ABT. If it looks OK I might actually buy it next time Sears has it on sale.

Remember too, a tv can only look as good as it's signal. In my opinion, every showroom that I've been to has a horrible signal. Not a really good indicator on what the tv can do. Remember, you won't be watching it in a big showroom with tv's all over the place.

I really think if you got the Lifi home and hooked an HD DVD player up to it using HDMI and adjust to my settings, you won't be dissapointed. You will be amazed at how different it looks from the crappy signal that the showroom has.
post #199 of 759 Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 AM

I am buying a blu-ray player very soon, just got my HD sat. receiver yesterday and it looks very, very good. I can't wait for Blu-ray!! I'll get back to you.
post #200 of 759 Old 10-10-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:

I am buying a blu-ray player very soon, just got my HD sat. receiver yesterday and it looks very, very good. I can't wait for Blu-ray!! I'll get back to you.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Not Blu-ray!!

Get HD-DVD.
post #201 of 759 Old 10-10-2007, 02:42 PM

Help me here Test.......why HD-DVD over Blu-ray? I've supported panasonic with my tv purchase, I strongly like the brand and their offering is that of Blu-ray. Although this is a conversation meant for another thread, help me here!
post #202 of 759 Old 10-10-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Help me here Test.......why HD-DVD over Blu-ray? I've supported panasonic with my tv purchase, I strongly like the brand and their offering is that of Blu-ray. Although this is a conversation meant for another thread, help me here!

Ok, I'm a little on the obsessive compulsive side when it comes to my belongings. I did tons of reaserch before I purchased the Xbox 360 HD DVD player and decided to support HD-DVD and not Blu-ray.

First reason is HD-DVD's are less expensive, and a lot of them offer dual format meaning you can use them in both standard or HD players.

Second reason is, the manufacturing process is cheaper for HD-DVD's and easier for the programers to design them. Blue-ray is a pain in the you know what.

Read this article here to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

http://www.economist.com/science/dis...ory_id=9689600

I know exactly what you mean when you say that you wanted to support Panasonic and get a matching Blu-ray player. I was annoyed when I saw that they came out with the Blu-ray player myself because I wanted a matching Panasonic player (there goes the obsessive compulsive behavior again!).

I honestly believe that HD-DVD will prevail in this war. If you check out the forums here as well, you'll see that there are many more supporters to HD-DVD than Blu-ray for many reasons. Keep in mind that many of the people on this forum know A LOT about this stuff, and most of the choose HD-DVD over Blu-Ray.

Don't worry though, eventually when all of this dies down, Panasonic will most likely come out with an HD-DVD player. In the meantime however, I will be using my Xbox 360 HD DVD player. At 170 bucks for the player and 5 free HD-DVD's for free with purchase, you just can't beat that. Here's the link to the 5 free, let me know if you need anything else bud.

http://assets.xbox.com/en-US/hardwar...HDDVDOffer.pdf
post #203 of 759 Old 10-10-2007, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Actually either format of HD disc will give you an outstanding picture.

Blu Ray players tend to cost more, but their discs are often less expensive.

HD DVD players are less expensive but the discs cost more, especially the combos, which are used for many of the newer releases.

The best format choice is the one that has the largest number of movies that you'll want to watch. Some are available in both formats, others in just one.
post #204 of 759 Old 10-10-2007, 04:21 PM

Just settle on a Panasonic 50" 1080p plasma that Consumer Reports though so highly of, and you'll less likely go wrong than with a rear projection set.
post #205 of 759 Old 10-10-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Actually either format of HD disc will give you an outstanding picture.

Blu Ray players tend to cost more, but their discs are often less expensive.

HD DVD players are less expensive but the discs cost more, especially the combos, which are used for many of the newer releases.

The best format choice is the one that has the largest number of movies that you'll want to watch. Some are available in both formats, others in just one.

I never mentioned anything about picture quality.

Blue Ray discs are not less expensive than HD DVD's. Where did you get that from?

HD DVD is a better value, AND you have the option of getting combo discs, a great way for people to ease into the new format.
post #206 of 759 Old 10-10-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

Just settle on a Panasonic 50" 1080p plasma that Consumer Reports though so highly of, and you'll less likely go wrong than with a rear projection set.

post #207 of 759 Old 10-10-2007, 07:08 PM

I just bought a 58" panny plasma 700 as well as the lifi set(both great deals) within the last month. They can't be compared, but then again the price of the plasma was 4 times that of the lifi. I do not believe that the plasma is anywhere near 4 times benefit to me vs. the lifi set. With the price of these rear projections, it's hard to pass them by.
post #208 of 759 Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 AM

OK, I bought a Panasonic PT-56LCZ70 56" 1080p LIFI HDTV (on 9/8/07) replacing a Zenith C36V22 HDTV (only 36" but it used a cath tube and was a BEAST to move). It had a great picture but sound was wimpy and it had tendency to make a high frequency ringing sound and then it would quit after a few minutes. Very irritating.

But I digress, I want to say that I LOVE my Panny! It is everything that I hoped it would be. Colors are Bright and Accurate with good saturation. There is no motion blur whatsoever, and football games will never be the same!

In my satellite dish program I have a channel that broadcasts concerts in High Def on Soundstage; when I turn up the speakers It's BETTER than being there (I don't have to deal with the drunks, or traffic). I do have a Sony surround sound system that helps enrich the sound, especially the bass, but even if I didn't have it, the sound is so much better than the old Zenith that it wouldn't matter.

When I was researching for a new HDTV there wasn't much out there for the Panny, there still isn't it's technology is so new, but I knew that I didn't want a plasma, nor an LED and DLP's just burn up so quick (LIFI is supposed to have 20,000 hrs) , I decided to go ahead and take a chance based on what Panasonic said it would do and the image quality I saw in the store (SEARS). I am NOT disappointed!
post #209 of 759 Old 10-11-2007, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testosterone View Post

I never mentioned anything about picture quality.

Blue Ray discs are not less expensive than HD DVD's. Where did you get that from?

HD DVD is a better value, AND you have the option of getting combo discs, a great way for people to ease into the new format.

I'm just comparing my experience when buying locally at BB, CC, or Walmart.

Disc prices are pretty competitive except when it comes to combo titles. There, in my experience, the combo costs more than the typical Blu Ray disc.

The significance, to me, is that much of what I'd buy is being released on HD DVD in the combo format.

I don't see value in getting an SD version of the flick along with HD, so the combo format is useless to me. Mileage for others may vary.

I still think the main decision point on format is what content you want to see. If the "gotta have" titles for you only exist in one format, that is the one for you.
post #210 of 759 Old 10-11-2007, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Combos are on the way out. One of the studio already anounced they no longer release combo titles. There are just too many disc related issues out there for combo discs.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Panasonic , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page