Hitachi F59 series HDMI Shift Issue discussion - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 566 Old 05-02-2007, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
GOAL of this thread...

Track and discuss the HDMI shifting issue happening with F59 series Hitachi's

Please state these at the top of your 1st post on this thread...

1) Equipment Make/Model the TV's HDMI port it hook to
2) If you have reported this to Hitachi and what date (pls approx if you can)
3) Your number per posting on this thread... thus I'd be #1, this will help us keep a running total.

If you still have not reported the image shift issue separately from the HDMI service menu fixes (that solved other issues) call Hitachi customer support (800-654-7013) NOW!

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 566 Old 05-02-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dish Network DVR 921 via DVI to HDMI converter cable direct to TV
Reported 4/1/2007
report 1

lets get this rolling!

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
post #3 of 566 Old 05-03-2007, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Motorola HD-PVR DCT6412 PIII on 51F59
Not reported - has only happened 3 times in 3 months @ 6 hrs/day viewing
post #4 of 566 Old 05-03-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Sony NS75H DVD player via HDMI.

Very infrequent shift.

report #3

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #5 of 566 Old 05-03-2007, 10:11 AM

Motorola (Comcast) DCT 3416 series I HD DVR via HDMI cable (I just switched to component cables because I got tired of the image shift issue).

I reported to Hitachi after buying set last October, and have received several calls from them asking for info. They are definitely working on the issue.

post #6 of 566 Old 05-04-2007, 09:40 AM

Dish Network VIP622 via HDMI, JVC RX-D401S HDMI Receiver, also RCA Upconverting DVD player HDMI . Does Image shift from ALL 3 through HDMI
Reported 4/29/2007

Does a split second shift to the left, then snaps back to center. It's random, I've gone days without seeing it then it'll do it 3 or 4 times in a row. Very annoying. Tried bypassing JVC receiver (HDMI switch) and it still does it through VIP622 and DVD player.

Nice to see Hitachi is calling people, they told me to have a local service person come to look at it. I don't think I'll let him touch any setting because my picture is dead on. Don't want a rookie screwing it up! He's coming out 5/8. We shall see...
post #7 of 566 Old 05-05-2007, 10:29 AM

this was posted by Jwebb months ago and usually works fine - You need to do it in the service menu - please check the tweaks thread to learn about it.

Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....the "official" F59 HDMI Fix is here. And you can do it yourself!!!!!

Late this afternoon, I managed to get ahold of the official "Service Bulletin"--dated Jan '07--that Hitachi has recently circulated to all Authorized Service Centers. The particular source of the bulletin asked to remain anonymous, so don't ask where I got it....'cause I ain't talkin'! Just take and apply the following info and then enjoy whatever HDMI gear you've got without any more "freakouts".

This is a Service Menu adjustment that you can do yourself, so no need to wait on a tech to come and do it for you. Although Hitachi likely would rather a tech do it, I figure this saves 'em a few bucks in warranty service calls.

The intro of the bulletin states:

"Strange symptoms like TV shuts down, Tint Shifted, All Red or Pink picture, Sync loss, etc when using HDMI output from some Set Top Boxes. Ususally starts after warm-up period of 1/2 hour. May be temporarily corrected by AC reset or turning the TV Off and ON".

Sound familiar?

"Countermeasure: Make the following change to the I2C Service Menu."

Here's what to do.

1. Turn on TV (duh) and receive any signal.

2. Access service menu (hold down MENU button on front of set and press MENU, then 8, then SELECT on remote.

3. First page of sm appears. "ADJUST MODE DP6X" followed by SERVICE, SUB BRIGHT, etc. Scroll down thru settings list (or press MENU on remote twice) until the sm list that contains the parameter E2PROM appears. Highlight E2PROM and press SELECT.

4. E2PROM list appears. There will be a list of "ADDRESS"-es on the left (each ADDRESS will say A* and then 2 letters and or numbers. To the right of each ADDRESS will be a 2 digit DATA setting. These are what will be altered.

5. You will need to change most of these ADDRESS DATA parameters. Each one and what they are to change to will be listed below. What you are doing will change your set's software--this isn't a firmware fix.

Remember, after selecting and changing each of these, you MUST press SELECT on your remote before moving to the next ADDRESS. This puts the changes in memory. The list (including original and new settings) are:

ADDRESS DATA (Original/New)

0*A00 FF / 00
0*A01 FF / 13
0*A02 FF / 00
0*A03 FF / C3
0*A04 00 / 00 (no change)
0*A05 00 / 0C
0*A06 00 / 89
0*A07 00 / 9C
0*A08 00 / 00 (no change)
0*A09 00 / 0C
0*A0A 00 / 89
0*A0B 00 / 9D
0*A0C 00 / 05
0*A0D 00 / 68
0*A0E 00 / FC
0*A0F 00 / 9F
0*A10 00 / 89
0*A11 00 / 0C
0*A12 00 / 30

Again, make sure to press SELECT on the remote after each change!!!

6. Once you're done, exit the Service Menu and turn off TV. Unplug the set's AC from the wall/powerstrip/whatever for 5 SECONDS. Then, plug back in and turn TV back on.

7. Re-enter the Service Menu. Now you need to confirm that the fix has stuck. When you first enter the SM, where it says SERVICE/SUB BRIGHT, etc, there should be a code to the right of the ADJUST MODE DP6X. Prior to the fix, it should have said "V019" (white). If the fix took, it should now say "V195" (magenta).

If done properly, it should stick. You can now exit the SM and proceed to watch your HDMI-delivered video in all it's 100% digital glory.

You can all thank me (and my "source") later.

Money always works
post #8 of 566 Old 05-05-2007, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hitach 51F59
PC connected via DVI->HDMI cable, 720p resolution.
Has not been reported to Hitachi
Edit: I reported it today, 5/7/07

Really annoying when I'm playing my racing sims!

post #9 of 566 Old 05-05-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warholsbluecat View Post

this was posted by Jwebb months ago and usually works fine - You need to do it in the service menu - please check the tweaks thread to learn about it.

As has been posted many times, that fix does not address the shifting issue.
post #10 of 566 Old 05-05-2007, 02:50 PM

Hooked up to a computer via dvi->hdmi cable.
Have not reported yet.
#7 poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Mann View Post

As has been posted many times, that fix does not address the shifting issue.

what does that fix then?
post #11 of 566 Old 05-05-2007, 03:26 PM

Bell ExpressVu 9200 PVR HDMI directly to TV (51f59)
Reported sometime in January 2007 (I can't remember the exact date).
report 8

By the way I did Jwebb's fix when he posted it and it does NOT fix the HDMI shifting. IIRC I think it did fix a problem I had where the image went all green though.

I also hooked components up for when the HDMI shifting annoys me too much so that I just switch inputs. It kind of sucks but Hitachi hasn't given me any alternatives. I know I won't be buying another Hitachi product in my lifetime if this isn't fixed soon though.
post #12 of 566 Old 05-05-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The "old" HDMI fix for the F59s that I posted several months back on the Tweaks thread addressed several other HDMI handshake issues with these sets. Many users found their F59 screens going "all green" (or pink), tint shifting, etc. Even had some that mysteriously turned off by themselves whenever an HDMI-equipped piece was fed to them. That "fix" (actually a service menu-level software update from Hitachi) fixed that.

If you just recently picked up an F59 and haven't done the "old" HDMI fix yet, do so. It's rather easy to do, but can be done via a service call for free if you worry about futzing with service level stuff.

These were far greater concerns than the shift stuff. I'd be willing to bet that the fix for this will be along the same lines.

It seemed an eternity before Hitachi addressed the old HDMI bugs on the F59s. But they eventually did, surely due in some part to the complaints they got from AVS Forum folk.

Everyone stay on 'em. I'm sure they'll come up with a fix soon.

For me, at least, if they don't.....shifting happens so infrequently with my DVD player that I don't worry much about it. Still would like it rectified, though.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #13 of 566 Old 05-05-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidkid72 View Post

I know I won't be buying another Hitachi product in my lifetime if this isn't fixed soon though.

I agree. The first HDMI fix took months (and didn't fix everything), and I've had this set 7 months and still have the image shift. Not cool.
post #14 of 566 Old 05-05-2007, 08:43 PM

I just received a brand new 51f59 on Friday, and the HDMI doesn't even work!
While my Directv guy was here installing the HD dish, he saw some shift and said
"what was that"....I said I didn't know, because this is my first HDTV...I only have
a DVD player hooked up to it....he had to hook up everything with component cables.
Who should I call about this, Hitachi......or Sears? Will Hitachi send somebody to
try and fix it or can I get a replacement from Sears....Also when I turn it off, there
is a REALLY loud pop, doesn't sound good at all.
Please help me out here.
post #15 of 566 Old 05-06-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercaution View Post

I just received a brand new 51f59 on Friday, and the HDMI doesn't even work!
While my Directv guy was here installing the HD dish, he saw some shift and said
"what was that"....I said I didn't know, because this is my first HDTV...I only have
a DVD player hooked up to it....he had to hook up everything with component cables.
Who should I call about this, Hitachi......or Sears? Will Hitachi send somebody to
try and fix it or can I get a replacement from Sears....Also when I turn it off, there
is a REALLY loud pop, doesn't sound good at all.
Please help me out here.

Since you just got the set, you must be within Sears' return window, so I'd call Sears and get a replacement. Why mess around trying to fix it?
post #16 of 566 Old 05-11-2007, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Everyone...

First... PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC... this is HDMI Shift Issue ONLY

If you have not reported it to Hitachi or have not spoken with them in a while CALL THEM NOW!
They are gathering data on what equip is causing this and how it is occuring...

This is IMPORTANT if we want this fixed.

________
Ltek

post #17 of 566 Old 05-16-2007, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Its been 9 days since I reported and I never received so much as a confirmation email in response. The one thing Hitachi did send me was a link to a survey asking how the support was. Yes, I did the survey..
post #18 of 566 Old 05-16-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

If you have not reported it to Hitachi or have not spoken with them in a while CALL THEM NOW!
They are gathering data on what equip is causing this and how it is occuring...

This is IMPORTANT if we want this fixed.

Totally agree. Let's go people!
post #19 of 566 Old 05-16-2007, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post

Its been 9 days since I reported and I never received so much as a confirmation email in response. The one thing Hitachi did send me was a link to a survey asking how the support was. Yes, I did the survey..

Not sure what you were expecting but they have never emailed me and I've been working with them for 8 months. They call regularly (every week or so) when needing info or checking in on an issue.

Did you call them directly?

________
Ltek

post #20 of 566 Old 05-24-2007, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Has anyone been asked to photograph or video tape the HDMI shift problem?

Hitachi tech support asked me to do this for them... either they do not believe this is occuring or have no clue how to troubleshoot it.

________
Ltek

post #21 of 566 Old 05-25-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

Has anyone been asked to photograph or video tape the HDMI shift problem?

Hitachi tech support asked me to do this for them... either they do not believe this is occuring or have no clue how to troubleshoot it.

They called me a few weeks ago and asked me to take a vid of the problem. I told them I would attempt to, but also explained that what happens is very simple. The image shifts a few inches to the left, causing a black vertical bar on the right side of the screen, and a few inches of the left side of the image being cut off, then shifts back after a few seconds. No distortion, pixelation, etc..

I kept my camera on the sofa next to me, but every time I tried to capture it, the image shifted back before the camera turned on (since the shift only lasts a few secs). I called them back and told them I tried several times to capture the image shift, but was unsuccessful, and again described the issue. They said they'd pass the info to engineering.

And they called yesterday and asked the same thing... so I went through the above explanation with them again.
post #22 of 566 Old 05-27-2007, 02:26 PM

I have a 51F59, just got an HD-A2 player and a new HDMI cable from Monoprice. First movie I watched through HDMI got the image shift, so it's back to component.

Sucks for not being able to upscale, but honestly on this tv I notice little to no difference between 480p and 1080i on standard-def DVDs.
post #23 of 566 Old 05-27-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post

I have a 51F59, just got an HD-A2 player and a new HDMI cable from Monoprice. First movie I watched through HDMI got the image shift, so it's back to component.

Sucks for not being able to upscale, but honestly on this tv I notice little to no difference between 480p and 1080i on standard-def DVDs.

The virtual HD setting on these sets is quite good (be sure the appropriate inputs are set for 1080i). I have a 7 year old SD DVD player, and Hitachi customer service recommended setting it to 480i (instead of 480p) so the TV could upscale to 1080i in 1 step, rather than having to downscale from 480p to 480i & then to 1080i. Great PQ.
post #24 of 566 Old 05-28-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstream View Post

They called me a few weeks ago and asked me to take a vid of the problem. I told them I would attempt to, but also explained that what happens is very simple. The image shifts a few inches to the left, causing a black vertical bar on the right side of the screen, and a few inches of the left side of the image being cut off, then shifts back after a few seconds. No distortion, pixelation, etc..

I kept my camera on the sofa next to me, but every time I tried to capture it, the image shifted back before the camera turned on (since the shift only lasts a few secs). I called them back and told them I tried several times to capture the image shift, but was unsuccessful, and again described the issue. They said they'd pass the info to engineering.

And they called yesterday and asked the same thing... so I went through the above explanation with them again.

Tell me about it. Hitachi customer service, at least in my experience, is horrible. I actually contacted the Better Business Bureau over the original HDMI issue since I was treated so poorly when trying to get to the bottom of it. I'm sorry to say that I haven't contacted them in regards to the shift issue since I'm trying to avoid having another meltdown. I know it's selfish but I'm just not interested in arguing with uninformed boobs again. Don't get me wrong - I'm very polite and friendly when calling. It's only after being told that it was basically the fault of the my wiring, my DVD player or my set-up about 5 seperate times that I became fairly irate. This is Hitachi Service Canada I'm talking about by the way.
post #25 of 566 Old 05-29-2007, 08:00 PM

I have a 57F59, connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi receiver. The three HDMI sources connected to the 84 are: Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player, Sony Playstation 3, and DirecTV HR20 HD DVR. I've experienced random, although infrequent, image shifts to the left with all three sources.

I'll call Hitachi tomorrow; I just found this thread. I believe I'm #10, BTW...
post #26 of 566 Old 05-29-2007, 11:25 PM

I got my 51f59 back in febuary and i have loved it fixed the hdmi freakouts with no problem thx to jwebb. I am also getting the imagge shift problem seems to come and go havent seen it in probably 2-3 weeks and i watch a lot but when it did happen it happened like 5 -6 times in a week of viewing. its not a major problem but when it does happen its annoying. i called hitachi and spoke to them i hope they remedy this problem quickly. thank god for the hdmi freakout fix that crap was awful.

my setup: 51f59, onkyo 990 thx with theater research tr-12 500 watt powered sub, panasonic upconverting dvd, dishnetwork HD dvr
post #27 of 566 Old 06-02-2007, 09:52 AM

Have had a 65f59a for about 2 weeks running an Oppo hd 981 through a Sony STR-DG810 and thanks to jwebb, was able to tame the HDMI freakies right after the first manifestation. Also thanks to many of you, started with a very nice picture within about 30 minutes of unboxing. Still no HD material, but DVDs are amazing through this system! Waiting on HD sattelite for the DirectTV system which is supposed to appear in Costco any day now. Then will decide whether to go with Dish (which we already have) or switch. At this time, have not experience HDMI shift issue, but am watchful... Another huge thanks to all of you who convinced me to order this system, sight unseen. We are absolutely astonished at what a great deal this setup is. Paid $1289 delivered for the 65f59a. Happy, happy! Dave
post #28 of 566 Old 06-04-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdaf- View Post

Have had a 65f59a for about 2 weeks running an Oppo hd 981 through a Sony STR-DG810 and thanks to jwebb, was able to tame the HDMI freakies right after the first manifestation. Also thanks to many of you, started with a very nice picture within about 30 minutes of unboxing. Still no HD material, but DVDs are amazing through this system! Waiting on HD sattelite for the DirectTV system which is supposed to appear in Costco any day now. Then will decide whether to go with Dish (which we already have) or switch. At this time, have not experience HDMI shift issue, but am watchful... Another huge thanks to all of you who convinced me to order this system, sight unseen. We are absolutely astonished at what a great deal this setup is. Paid $1289 delivered for the 65f59a. Happy, happy! Dave

Sorry to momentarily hijack this thread (I'm sure Livin will forgive me )

Just for scdaf's benefit. If you stick with Dish (E*), you should be able to get their HDDVR for no extra charge. DirecTV (D*) will gouge you 200 bucks to lease their HDDVR (reg HD box is "free" to new customers, however). If you are planning on buying the equipment, no worry.

Trust me...spring for the HD-DVR, whichever service you end up with. Mankind's greatest invention!!!

E* does currently have more HD offerings. Mainly due to taking over the exclusive HD programming offered by the now-deceased VOOM sat service. What they lack is a large number of local network HD markets (will likely need an antenna attached to your E* box to get 'em).

D* does carry more local network HD markets over the sat signal. And we all hear about the "promise of 150 HD channels (are there 150 HD channels? )

Many here do complain about the HD PQ of sat, esp. D*-regardless of what TV commercials tell you. Generally this lower PQ is due to the massive amounts of compression that occurs w/ sat signals. Esp. D* (E* seems to do better for most in terms of PQ). I can speak from personal experience that I get much better PQ (both SD and HD) from dig. cable. However, cable markets vary and some markets may not be able to handle the bandwith, therefore leading to better PQ from sat.

Either way, glad to hear your F59 is making you smile. The smiles will get bigger once you get full-blown HD service.

post #29 of 566 Old 06-25-2007, 09:56 AM

Reported problem today (6/25). CSR claimed there was no other reports of problems with this set. Forwarded me to the repair shop. Very discouraging.
post #30 of 566 Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdwalton View Post

Reported problem today (6/25). CSR claimed there was no other reports of problems with this set. Forwarded me to the repair shop. Very discouraging.

Call them back and tell them you are not going to call a repair shop and want to be added to the list since this IS a KNOWN ISSUE and there are at least 6 other reported cases of this exact issue and the engineers are aware.

If ther person you talked to was a woman, she did this to me once... she's is either a liar or clueless.

Tell them you want to talk to Sean. Sometimes you must take control of the situation with them. Be nice to Sean, he's cool.

________
Ltek

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units