Official Toshiba 65HM167 and 57HM167 Owner's thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 3140 Old 04-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone have the thread numbers of the step by step procedure for DLP chip replacement, including taking the TV apart and what to be wary/careful of when swapping chips? Our set just went to 5 white dots and needs the new chip and a good cleaning.
Thanks,
Kemper

Kemper Holt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3140 Old 04-27-2013, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
All thruout this thread are instructions. Look at the 'Search this thread' feature at the top of the forum. wink.gif
post #3063 of 3140 Old 05-18-2013, 09:16 PM

Liked: 10
Well after three years I FINALLY got the 65" working again ! I had the 3 blinking yellow lights over and over. I tried to reload the software several times and it never worked. I finally bought a power board and that fixed it. Hopefully the TV will work for a while. Now I will have to find another thing to spend my extra time on. Just wanted to post on here what I did to fix MY 3 blinking light problem.
post #3064 of 3140 Old 05-27-2013, 07:58 PM

Just a follow up, thanks to everyone who contributes on this thread. Your information helped me complete the DLP chip replacement procedure without a hitch. Picture looks great. Funny side note ...I held up the old chip at an angle to the light and I could see the white dot pattern reflecting off the surface of the chip...was like wow. Again, thanks.
post #3065 of 3140 Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I did the same and saw what I thought was the same white dot pattern. Then I took a moist paper towel to it and the spots wiped right off with little effort. Probably dust or some other foreign particles in my case. I wasn't about to reinstall the old chip (which had been replaced under an extended warranty) to see if wiping off the specs cured the white dots. Thought it was highly unlikely as I understood the problem to be stuck mirrors on the chip.
post #3066 of 3140 Old 06-16-2013, 10:16 AM

Has anyone on this thread experienced uneven illumination on the screen? I replaced my OEM bulb with one from ShopJimmy after the OEM bulb blew.

At first there were issues with light flickering which caused this strange effect where parts of the screen would get lighter, parts would get darker and it would oscillate like that for some time. It wasn't really noticeable unless viewing a very solid picture. I was able to get around this issue by setting the bulb intensity to high.

Now at a high bulb intensity, there isn't any flickering but now some parts of the screen are 'hot' and on a white background, it's easy to tell that the screen is being lit unevenly.

What do you guys think? Could this be the bulb? After all, the bulb should be emitting light in all directions evenly. Could it be the ballast improperly interacting with the bulb? I haven't had any issues light start failures with this bulb.

I also recently replaced the DLP chip, but that was before getting the replacement bulb and the there were no issues in the interim.
post #3067 of 3140 Old 06-18-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If you see flickering with the lamp, it is the lamp that is causing the irregular illumination problems.

Might check with the vendor about a replacement.
post #3068 of 3140 Old 06-18-2013, 06:51 PM

I have to go back and check when I ordered it. It's within 6 months, but at this point I feel like I've been using it too long to go to ShopJimmy with good conscience and tell them that I want a replacement. I will note this for my next replacement though.

Note that it wasn't on/off flickering but the it looked sort of like a fluorescent lamp when it's struggling to fire up. Lava-lamp like almost.
post #3069 of 3140 Old 06-19-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I've had flickering issues with non oem lamps in my Toshiba. Those that didn't flicker developed start-up problems within a month or two after install.

Never had a pq related issue with a Toshiba brand lamp. Same with start-up. First time start, every time I powered up the set.

Expensive, but worth every penny in reduced frustration.

This set provided me with many hours of great entertainment. It also caused me to cross out Toshiba from my list of future purchase manufacturers due to the problems this model had, and Toshiba's lack of support for their users.

Had I not purchased an extended warranty with this set, it would have turned out to be the single most expensive electronics investment I've made. Multiple lamps and light engines, one of which was strictly for the white dot issue.

Toshiba's response? "Sorry, but you're out of warranty".

Never again Toshiba!!
post #3070 of 3140 Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 PM

Liked: 11
So I just got home yesterday after being deployed for the last 9 months and go to turn on the TV and I hear the sound, but the screen is black, the wife (who by the way has been at home the whole 9 months I was deployed) says just wait. The TV proceeds to turn itself of and then back on a total of 4 times and then on the 5th time it comes back on the picture is there. My wife tells me that it's been doing this for some time now. Is this a bulb issue or something else? If it's a bulb issue what are the best replacement bulbs and is it a difficult process to replace the bulb? Thanks in advance.
post #3071 of 3140 Old 06-25-2013, 04:31 PM

Google lamp replacement for your model and watch you tube how to change. VERY easy...even YOU can do it. wink.gif
post #3072 of 3140 Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 PM

Just ordered a new bulb from Discounts Merchant (Shop Jimmy was out of stock) so now I wait (I did go out and pick up a new Sony 70" for the living room though). The 65" will either go onto Craigslist to be sold (if anyone lives in Hawaii and is interested let me know) or if my son moves back to Hawaii after he finishes school I will end up giving it to him if it's not sold by then. Figuring asking $500 for the set. Is that too much? I've had the TV about 5 1/2 years and did the chip replacement about a year ago and now will be replacing the lamp prior to selling. THanks
post #3073 of 3140 Old 06-30-2013, 03:08 PM

Reasonable as long as it all works. Honestly tho, plan on keeping it. How much for the lamp?
post #3074 of 3140 Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Reasonable as long as it all works. Honestly tho, plan on keeping it. How much for the lamp?

Oh it works perfectly with the new lamp, no more turning off and then on again, works perfect when it first comes on. The picture is like brand new again. So in the last year I have replaced both the chip and the lamp so this TV is practically brand new again and looks great for a TV I purchased almost 6 years ago and sort of makes me wish I didn't go spend $2k on a new TV (although I am loving the new one). With tax and shipping the new lamp was $129.94 from Discount-Merchant.com so I am pretty happy with it. Now I can sell it and know the new owner will be getting a great TV.

post #3075 of 3140 Old 07-15-2013, 07:42 PM

I've had a 65HM167 for years now and it's still working great. I have recently had to replace the bulb and the DLP chip, but I have no complaints, picture still looks good. I've recently been digging out my old game consoles, and wanted to hook up my N64 with S-video on the front right side by the power and volume buttons, and it all worked fine, but it was a cheap universal cable made to use with nintendo and playstation and xbox. So I got a new cable for just the N64, and suddenly the s-video isn't working anymore. I tried the first cable, no go, tried both cables on another tv, and they both worked. I think I must have knocked something loose when I switched cables. The composite plugs still work great, I can hear the game, and if I plug in the yellow cable, I can see it, it's just the s-video.

Now I figure a solder point must have broken or something, and I have no problem fixing it if that's all it is, but the problem is, I don't know how to access the back side of the input panel. If anyone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it.
post #3076 of 3140 Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 AM

Hi getting no power (not even blue or yellow diag lights) on my 65HM16 after changing light engine. Anything I can do to figure out whats up?
post #3077 of 3140 Old 08-06-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Not too easily, I'm afraid.

1st you probably should check to make sure the set it plugged in and the outlet is working properly. This may sound dumb, but sometimes the simple things are what can be the answer.

Assuming the set is hooked up to a live power outlet, I'd take the back off the set and double check all the connections you made during the light engine swap. Best to take the connections apart and reattach them to make sure you got a good connection.

If the problem still is present (and this isn't a pretty alternative) remove the new light engine and replace it with the old one. The new one may be bad.

The set should still get power lights in the front with the lamp bad our not firmly in place, but I'd check that the lamp is firmly in place and the lamp cover door attached properly.

After that, it's probably time for a pro to test how far the power is getting within the set, and what is stopping it from powering on.

Good luck.
post #3078 of 3140 Old 08-08-2013, 04:25 PM

Hi thanks for the reply

I had done the items u mentioned with no joy.

Thanks
post #3079 of 3140 Old 08-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Hey guys I'm new here and need some advice. I bought my 65 DLP in fall 2007. Never had any issues until a few weeks back when I heard the dreaded pop noise. I instantly knew my lamp just blew. I ordered a replacement but after I installed it the TV came on when I powered it up although the coloring was off for the few seconds it was on before....POP there went the replacement bulb. Both just inside bulb blew not glass. Good news is their bulbs have 12 month replacement so they sent me another within the week. So now before I try it again they urged me to follow directions when installing but the thing is this one didn't have anything with it. Obviously I know not to touch the glass and this time I'm cutting TV off for at least a hour before putting in new bulb. What other steps? Don't I need to reset lamp by pressing some buttons on controller or something ? Thanks
post #3080 of 3140 Old 08-17-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Replacing the lamp just requires taking off the lamp cover, pulling out the old lamp, sliding in the new lamp assembly, securing it with the screws, and replacing the lamp cover. Nothing else needed.

If the set is ok and the new lamp good, it should power right back up after replacing the lamp.

If this replacement lamp blows at power up, I'd question whether you had something damaged in the set when the original lamp blew, or, whether the lamps you are ordering are not compatible with your set.

Lots of the lamps for sale are knock offs of the oem lamps. On my set, I could never get any lamps that did not come directly from Toshiba - in a Toshiba box. with their 6 month warranty card - to work reliably. I never had an aftermarket lamp blow on initial power up, but they all did develop problems powering up over the first few weeks to months of use.

The 12 month warranty you mentioned leads me to believe that the lamp is an aftermarket brand.

I hope the 1st replacement lamp was just a dud. The vendor will probably start to balk at replacing them if they continue to explode in your set.

If something was damaged internally in the set when the original lamp went out, I have no input on what that may be. Probably in for a repair guy visit.
mstone9942 likes this.
post #3081 of 3140 Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 PM

I need to order the DLP chip; ShopJimmy is out of stock.

Has anyone utilized another company that they were happy with? Many different companies and prices out there....

Thanks!

**EDIT Nevermind....searched one more time and found it on Amazon; but the seller was Shop Jimmy! Thanks all for the info in this thread!
post #3082 of 3140 Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM

What about my fan? I read somewhere that even with ur lamp out if u plug in your power cord and power the TV on you should still hear the fan. If u don't hear it then it means ur fan needs to be replaced. Is this true? I don't hear anything. I just want to make sure before this one blows again. If so then I will send it back and get a refund but want to give it a fair chance.
post #3083 of 3140 Old 08-22-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe you can leave the lamp module out of the set entirely, depress the little switch that the lamp door normally holds down and the set will attempt to start. You should hear the fan used to cool the lamp spin up.

Lack of adequate cooling will cause a lamp to pop for sure. Probably would take some run time to get hot enough to go.
post #3084 of 3140 Old 09-18-2013, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Good morning all - two reasons for posting today.

First, a big thank you to everone who has posted before in this forum for the invaluable instruction and information concerning the white dot issue and DLP chip. Last evening, I succesfully installed a new chip with the desired results of no more white or black dots.

I had purchased my Toshiba 65HM167 a few months ago used for $375 and the dots started appearing within a couple of weeks. The TV had been sitting idle for almost two years prior to my purchase. I was surprised that there was a lot less dust than I expected on and around the light engine when I opened it up.

I have a question about the bulb. The TV has been turned on 388 times with just 1,100 hours of use so far. I know the bulb will eventually blow at some point and I'd like to have a spare ready to go when it does. After reading this thread, I see that avoiding non OEM bulbs is important. My concern comes from reading recent cistomer feedback on the Toshiba website. Many people, if not most, are stating they are seeing their replacement bulbs going quite often within 60-90 days from purchase. There is no way to tell if these folks purchased from Toshiba or went the cheaper route and are now venting because the bulbs do not last.

Has anyone purchased their replacement bulb directly from Toshiba and then had it last only a short period of time before blowing? If that is the case, what is the advantage of paying more?

Thanks for your time!
post #3085 of 3140 Old 10-11-2013, 05:43 AM

Good morning.

My 65HM167 is a little more than six years old, I got it back in June of 2007. I replaced the bulb I believe in 2010 or 2011, can't remember.

A new issue has cropped up recently with the screen dimming, then it sometimes goes black. The audio still remains on, though.

I can turn the tv off for a few minutes, turn it back on, and everything looks fine. After awhile, the screen starts dimming again.

Bulb about to fail again? DLP chip?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Just happened again, screen dimmed and then went out. Then the tv did the 15 blinking orange lights and turned itself off and back on. Screen still black.
post #3086 of 3140 Old 10-14-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apk8 View Post

Good morning all - two reasons for posting today.

First, a big thank you to everone who has posted before in this forum for the invaluable instruction and information concerning the white dot issue and DLP chip. Last evening, I succesfully installed a new chip with the desired results of no more white or black dots.

I had purchased my Toshiba 65HM167 a few months ago used for $375 and the dots started appearing within a couple of weeks. The TV had been sitting idle for almost two years prior to my purchase. I was surprised that there was a lot less dust than I expected on and around the light engine when I opened it up.

I have a question about the bulb. The TV has been turned on 388 times with just 1,100 hours of use so far. I know the bulb will eventually blow at some point and I'd like to have a spare ready to go when it does. After reading this thread, I see that avoiding non OEM bulbs is important. My concern comes from reading recent cistomer feedback on the Toshiba website. Many people, if not most, are stating they are seeing their replacement bulbs going quite often within 60-90 days from purchase. There is no way to tell if these folks purchased from Toshiba or went the cheaper route and are now venting because the bulbs do not last.

Has anyone purchased their replacement bulb directly from Toshiba and then had it last only a short period of time before blowing? If that is the case, what is the advantage of paying more?

Thanks for your time!
I purchased a lamp warranty when I got my set. The 1st lamp blew at 13 months and the warranty company provided me with a
Toshiba branded replacement, which worked well for another year before blowing.

The 2nd warranty replacement was a non Toshiba branded lamp. It worked initially, but started to have problems igniting after a month or so. Got progressively worse, so I asked the warranty company for a replacement. Long story shortened, they continued to send me about 6 replacement lamps - all non Toshiba - that all developed the same start-up problems.

The warranty company finally suggested I get a lamp from Toshiba and they would pay for it. I did and it worked perfectly - and is still working 2 years later. Not one startup issue, or other complaint.

The advantage of the extra price of a Toshiba lamp in these sets is that you get a 6 month warranty on the lamp itself. I purchased the lamp with a credit card that doubles manufacturer's warranties, so I ended up with a full year of protection.

Probably the biggest advantage I found was that the Toshiba lamp let me enjoy the set, not worry about what was going to happen every time I hit the power button.

My experience with the lamps on these sets is that Toshiba branded lamps represent both higher cost and higher value.

I bought my Toshiba lamp directly from Toshiba to help ensure that I wasn't getting old stock that somebody had on hand.
post #3087 of 3140 Old 12-13-2013, 12:09 PM

I've had my 65HM167 for almost 6 years. I finally had to replace my original bulb a few months ago after hearing the dreaded "pop". Before that, I've been using the "take the bulb out and tap it" trick I learned on this website years ago to prolong buying a lamp. Now, after finally getting tired of the Milky Way pattern across the right side of my screen that's been there for almost a year, I gathered up the courage to replace the DLP chip myself. I really want to thank the folks who stick around this thread to give everyone the confidence to complete this maintenance on our own. Between this thread and the 3 YouTube videos that have already been referenced in this thread, my TV is back to looking like it did the day I brought it home from Circuit City.

Just in time for Christmas! :-)
post #3088 of 3140 Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Have been thinking about getting a new display for some time now. My 65HM167 just wasn't looking that great to me anymore. Then the white dots appeared. Decided to replace the DLP chip instead and am BLOWN AWAY at how great this tv looks again! Like brand new.. Blacks are black again and the colors just pop. Soo happy I went with a new chip. Thanks to all the posts with chip changing directions. Much easier than I thought it would be. smile.gif
post #3089 of 3140 Old 02-24-2014, 02:02 PM

Hey guys
I used this thread last year when I got my 65HM167 and replaced the DLP chip due to the typical white dots. The set has been trouble free since, and I appreciate the help in this thread...I would have never got through that without this thread.
I have a new issue with the set, and I did a search first. There was one mention of a user doing the same thing I did and wound up with a red tint to the picture.....anywhere black should be is a red tint. Blue/white/yellow etc are unaffected, just the black......and it makes the picture look bad.

The post I read in this thread was from user SevenT6Vet:

I read that "fast" setting is preffered, so i changed from power saver to fast (for first time ever since owning this), and the picture immediately got washed with a red tint! ??? I changed it back to power saver, no change.
I turned on/off/on...no changed. I went to picture settings, and they were exactly how i had them. I reset anyways, and red tint is still there. Picture is still very clear.
*UPDATE* when screen is supposed to be all black, there is definitely a red tint. Blue and white colors seem to be uneffected.

....so I have the same EXACT issue. I did the same thing...I went from power saver to fast....and then I get this red tint.
Is there anything I could check or what do you suggest I look at? I have a replacement bulb which I haven't used, and I can replace the DLP chip again if needed....but not sure if either will fix that.

I wish I could contact SevenT6Vet...but it appears he hasn't been on line for over 2 years now.....

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated....and again THANKS to everybody in this thread for all the help.

Tony
post #3090 of 3140 Old 02-24-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
WoW! I can't believe my 65HM167 will be seven years old in a few months. So far I've had no issues and am still on the original bulb. I'm so glad I never ordered a spare bulb.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba , Panasonic , Lcd Hdtv , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page