AVS Forum banner

Official Toshiba 65HM167 and 57HM167 Owner's thread

507K views 3K replies 443 participants last post by  Prosdog2 
#1 ·
There wasn't an Owner's thread on these sets yet, so I figured now was as good a time as any to start one. I just picked up a 65HM167 today. Our 50" Panasonic LCD (PT-50LC13) got retired to the bedroom with almost 15,000 hours on the original bulb. Adding 15" of diagonal screen area made for a nice upgrade...so much so my wife says we need to start charging admission and selling popcorn now.
So far we are both very pleased with the set with only minor adjustments to the basic settings. Our main viewing area is 10-11' away, and I only see a small amount of SSE if I'm looking for it on a very light colored background. Neither of us see any RBE, which was my main concern. I have to say, $$$ for $$$, this is the best TV purchase I have ever made.

I'll start off by posting the Service Menu entry procedure I got from another thread. Here's the quote from user koan in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan /forum/post/0

I tried the instructions for last year's models and, with a couple of differences, got into what I guess is the service menu. I wouldn't know what to adjust or how to adjust it, but did see the lamp hours and other info. Here are the instructions I found (posted by enmoco):

CAUTION: Do not use the up and down volume keys on the remote in the service menu as it can alter the data and can be dangerous.

1. Press "mute" on the remote - 1/2 mute appears on the screen

2. Press "mute" on the remote again - mute appears on the screen

3. Press "mute" on the remote and hold the mute button -

4. Press the "Menu" button on the TV's front panel. "S" will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.

5. Press the "Menu" button on the remote and the "S" will disappear. [

See less See more
#2,604 ·
Whew! I lucked out, everything started up just fine. There was some dust back there but it wasn't horrific. We got up to 85° yesterday and we haven't put in the a/c units yet. Guess that's the next project!

#2,605 ·
Crap... had my 67HM for almost 3 years, new bulb a couple months ago (it hadn't died, but thought I would proactively replace it and keep the old one for an emergency spare) and tonight I noticed a couple of bright white spots. Thought I'd come back to this thread and see if anyone else was having the problem. I guess I can look forward to the white spots multiplying. Crap.

Not sure what direction I am going to go with it's replacement... I've really liked this tv for many reasons, but at less then 3 years not sure if I want to go with another DLP. I recently bought an LG42LD550 for my bedroom, and have to say I have been delighted with the pq of it. But, the cost of the 60 inch model is a couple hundred dollars more the the 65 HM was, and 5 inches smaller. A Mits dlp is tempting, but...

#2,606 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by online2much /forum/post/20301157

Crap... had my 67HM for almost 3 years, new bulb a couple months ago (it hadn't died, but thought I would proactively replace it and keep the old one for an emergency spare) and tonight I noticed a couple of bright white spots. Thought I'd come back to this thread and see if anyone else was having the problem. I guess I can look forward to the white spots multiplying. Crap.

Not sure what direction I am going to go with it's replacement... I've really liked this tv for many reasons, but at less then 3 years not sure if I want to go with another DLP. I recently bought an LG42LD550 for my bedroom, and have to say I have been delighted with the pq of it. But, the cost of the 60 inch model is a couple hundred dollars more the the 65 HM was, and 5 inches smaller. A Mits dlp is tempting, but...

While DLP had a great run, it's pretty much dead technology now... I recommend checking out todays 240hz+ LED HDTVs, the picture on mine (55" Samsung c7000 3D) is awesome; has as much if not more of a "WoW" factor as my hm167 did back in the day.

#2,607 ·
Yes, I also went away from DLP as the bulbs, white dots, etc... got the better of me. I just bought a Samsung 55" LCD, however not without problems. I might have to return as there is a band across the screen on black backgrounds. Repair person is coming out soon. I have another Samsung LCD in another room that has never caused me problems.

My Toshiba is in another room, collecting dust waiting to make a comeback.

Hopefully someone gets them to own up to their deficiency and correct the light engine / chip issue.

#2,608 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlternative /forum/post/20301504

While DLP had a great run, it's pretty much dead technology now... I recommend checking out todays 240hz+ LED HDTVs, the picture on mine (55" Samsung c7000 3D) is awesome; has as much if not more of a "WoW" factor as my hm167 did back in the day.

I don't think DLP is dead, just Mit owns the category. They just announced some very large DLP RPTVs. I own a 65HM167 and love the price/size factor, but the RPTV screen prevents the visual transparency of flat panels.

#2,609 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktitan /forum/post/20301826

Yes, I also went away from DLP as the bulbs, white dots, etc... got the better of me. I just bought a Samsung 55" LCD, however not without problems. I might have to return as there is a band across the screen on black backgrounds. Repair person is coming out soon. I have another Samsung LCD in another room that has never caused me problems.

Hopefully someone gets them to own up to their deficiency and correct the light engine / chip issue.

Is there any way for us to find out how many, or percentage of these sets have this white dot/light engine failure? Knowing how pervasive the failure rate is would allow us to put pressure(class action) on Toshiba.

#2,610 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktitan /forum/post/20301826

Like you, I also am suffering from the light engine (white dots) issue on my 65HM167 which is only just over 3 years old. I was tempted to go back with a RPTV in a Mit 73" DLP but decided instead to buy a LG 60" 3D Plasma (60PZ550). I've tried searching for a replacement light engine for the Toshiba but can find none in stock any where, plus everyone quoting over $700 for backordered units.

My 65HM167 is resting peacefully in the garage. If I can get a replacement light engine for it, I'll fix it and use it in my entertainment room with the Xbox 360.

#2,611 ·
I had the light engine replaced about 6 months ago due to a different issue. It was under an extended warranty, so no cost to me, but the repair guy did say that the part was about $500. He had to go to a couple of his sources to get one back then, as many parts people were indefinitely backordered.

Once it came in, he replaced it in about 1/2 hour - most of that taking screws out of the cabinet.

This "heart transplant" got my set working as new. Only issues it displays is a distaste for any non Toshiba OEM bulbs. Any others will only work for a few days to a few weeks and then develop problems firing.

Good luck to those of you with light engine problems. Hopefully my origional light engine has been refurbed and is either working again, or, about to be on the market.

#2,612 ·
Question for those of you that got the white dots.... how fast did they multiply? Mine has 2 that both appeared at about the same time. I just picked up an LG 60LD550 to replace it, but am curious if I can get another year out of Tosh just using it as a second set to watch football on Sunday afternoons only (see the link in my sig).

Love my new LG 60 inch LCD!

#2,613 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by online2much
Question for those of you that got the white dots.... how fast did they multiply? Mine has 2 that both appeared at about the same time. I just picked up an LG 60LD550 to replace it, but am curious if I can get another year out of Tosh just using it as a second set to watch football on Sunday afternoons only (see the link in my sig).

Love my new LG 60 inch LCD!
Once the "stars" started appearing on mine, it deteriorated pretty quick. Each day when I powered it on I would check for further damage, and there would be a couple more. At ~22 specks on the screen I couldn't stand to look at it anymore.

#2,614 ·
My white dots, stars, etc... have increased rather quickly. I have about 30-40 of them now. I had bought a Sammy LCD and that had a problem out of the box and I was able to return it.

I would also love to know how pervasive this is so as to launch a class action, however, we need the one right person with enough time to proceed. Unfortunately that is not me.

Keep calling Toshiba if you have this problem. These sets are too new to die!

#2,615 ·
I called Toshiba again today to remind them of the white dot issue. It was a totally different call than the last time I called however. While the last two times they said...its out of warranty, good-bye... this time the rep said that this was a very common issue with DLP TVs (they did stress that its not just Toshiba but all DLP) and they will have a case manager contact me in the next 2-3 days to see if they can do anything for me.

Keep calling Toshiba if you have this problem.

#2,619 ·
I'm at a loss for ideas at this point with my DLP.

I have 52HMX84 that has no picture and no blinking LED codes. I power it on you hear the click, whine up then down, then the whine settles and no picture. You can see light coming from the fan vent and when the room is dark you can see the usual DLP lit black on the screen. No menu no nothing.

I pulled the bulb, looks good, stuck my finder in the lamp door switch and powered it on and the color wheel spins while it cycles through the restarts. I changed the ballast board on the slim chance it was just weak. No change after installing the new ballast board.

Before a light engine is there anything else I should check or replace? I haven't been able to find any posts online anywhere that has helped, so I figured its time to post for help.

#2,620 ·
Greetings All

Count me in thr GREAT WHITE DOT escapades.

Developed my first dot 5/2/11 and as of today I have three of em

already. I ain't call'n toshiba cause sooner or later I'd probably

just cuss em out for making what SHOULD be a simple repair cost too much.

Count me in the Class action once that gets cranked up. I KNOW i'm crazy

but, how about we all threaten to show up at Corp HQ with our broken sets

with the news media in tow, bet they might rethink their position a little.

Might take as little as a couple hundred of us showing up, and a hell of a lot

faster than the CA Suit.

Man I can't stand LCD or PLASMA, to Overpriced for a decent sized screen

and to dammed shinny. Its like trying to watch tv through a damn mirror.

Sorry I got worked up.

#2,621 ·
Can you guys help me out? I'll give my history with this TV.

After the first original lamp gave out on the 65" TV, we replaced it with an OEM lamp which lasted about 2 years.

We then went with a new cheap lamp that cost about $100 about a month ago. Now, the TV is emitting an odor after turning it on. It took me awhile to figure out it was the TV since we only had the odor off and on. We initially thought it was coming in from the outside of the house and then from other sources before we realized it was the TV. We can't quite tell where in the TV the smell is coming from.

The TV is showing a proper image. It runs our games and movies fine but the odor is horrible. Then I remembered my friend's adventure with his Sony TV and telling me it was somewhat common for the lamp in the Sony to melt the inside of the TV and I thought maybe that's what's happening with our Toshiba.

So I go to pull the lamp out and I can't friggin pull it out. It's not like my first time removing a lamp. You undo the 2 screws and then pull on the handle. Well, it won't come out. I even broke the plastic holding the handle trying to pull on it. Now I'm gripping around the lamp and pulling with all my might. Wiggling is not help. It seems like there's some give but no matter how hard I try, it's not coming out.

Any advice anyone??? We love this TV and the picture is beautiful and huge at 65". But we don't want it to become a money pit. This is the second lamp replacement. And if we have to hire a TV tech, we can imagine how expensive that job can be.

#2,622 ·
You've become acquainted with the notion that the cheap can turn out to be expensive.

I have the same set. When I bought the set, I also bought a lamp warranty through MACK. Sure enough, the original lamp went on the set and I activated my warranty coverage.

First replacement lamp was a Toshiba lamp - in Toshiba box. Plug and play and I was a happy camper again.

When that lamp went, I again went to my warranty for a 2nd replacement. Same vendor involved, but they sent me a lamp with no Toshiba branding on the box. Looked the same, but would only work for short periods of time, before startup problems became evident.

Went through 1/2 dozen replacement lamps - all not Toshiba branded - and they all developed the same problem.

Eventually, the lamp vendor (who advertises on this site) suggested that there was something wrong with my set for the lamps to fail so quickly.

I reported this under my extended warranty and they authorized an entire light engine replacement for the set.

New light engine, same lamp problem.

Finally, the lamp vendor suggested I try a lamp from Toshiba, although they insisted that theirs were as good as those in a Toshiba box.

I ended up ordering one from Toshiba and have been running perfectly ever since.

Long way of saying that cheap lamps just won't work reliably on these sets.

With the Toshiba lamps, I get immediate ignition each and every time - until the lamp gives out.

With any generic replacement, nothing but problems.

I'd guess that something has melted your lamp housing to the set somehow. The smell was probably from the melting plastic of either the set or the lamp housing.

Hopefully, you'll be able to get the lamp removed from the set without damage to the set itself.

If so, please spend the extra cash on a lamp directly from Toshiba. It costs significantly more the the aftermarket ones, but does come with a 6 month warranty. I bought my lamp with my credit card, which doubles the manufacturer's warranty - giving me a full year.

I will never try a non Toshiba lamp in my set again.

#2,623 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/20452739

I'd guess that something has melted your lamp housing to the set somehow. The smell was probably from the melting plastic of either the set or the lamp housing.

Hopefully, you'll be able to get the lamp removed from the set without damage to the set itself.

If so, please spend the extra cash on a lamp directly from Toshiba. It costs significantly more the the aftermarket ones, but does come with a 6 month warranty. I bought my lamp with my credit card, which doubles the manufacturer's warranty - giving me a full year.

I will never try a non Toshiba lamp in my set again.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out how to remove this lamp.

I just brainstormed about turning on the TV so that it could heat up and then pulling the lamp. Maybe the heat will soften the connection so that I can yank it out. Anybody see a problem with this idea? I'm really yanking my hair out at this point.

I thought about sticking with Toshiba lamps but after reading Toshiba forums, these lamps are inconsistent as well. Some last 6 months. Some last a year, some a couple of years. For our other 2 lamps, we never came close to the lamp life expectancy. We use our TV at most an hour a day, often less. In any case, paying $220+ every 6 months doesn't sound too smart. But at least you probably don't have to worry about melting when using a Toshiba lamp.

If I can't get this lamp removed, I'll contact a TV tech and if it's expensive, I'll just cut my losses and dump this TV. As great as a TV it is, no TV should require this kind of expensive maintenance.

#2,624 ·
Good luck getting the lamp removed.

Letting the set run and get good and hot might be your best bet.

I thought the lamp cage was mostly metal. Their is a plastic plug in the set that provides the electrical connection to the lamp itself. Wonder if that is what fused with the lamp module??

If the handle is broken off the lamp, you might be able to fish some wire into the lamp module through the holes in the lamp module itself. Might give you some leverage to give an even pull.

#2,625 ·
good thing you reminded me. now I have to figure out how to grab the lamp and pull it when it's hot. It'd be easier if I still had the handle to pull from or if the lamp faced forward (away from me).

the cage is plastic. it was plastic on all our lamps (the original, the OEM, and the cheap imitation).

fishing the wire through to get leverage sounds interesting. I'll check if it's feasible. I didn't realize how sore my forearm muscles would be. A couple hours after trying to remove the lamp, I had a hard time gripping strongly into a fist. My forearms were sore like after heavy workout.

#2,626 ·
Wow! My set is going on four years and I'm still on the original lamp. I didn't realize it cost over $200 to replace. I had a lamp warranty but it expired after three years.

I've always run the lamp on the low setting plus the tv has always been connected to a UPS. I don't know if those made any difference.

But at $200 I certainly will not be looking forward to the day the lamp needs to be replaced.

#2,628 ·
It's strange but I started getting the white dots on my 65HM167 a couple weeks ago. Didn't really think about it but decided to come on this site to see if others have been having the same issue. Just called Best Buy today and my 4 year warranty had expired 2 days ago! Although the BB guy did tell me that I had a 7 day grace period so I was able to buy an additional 1 year, thankfully. The dots have changed in number over the last two weeks by I am holding steady on 2-3 right now. I do agree that it is ridiculous that this set is only 4 years old and it is having problems. Count me in for the class action..

Peace!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.