Official Toshiba 65HM167 and 57HM167 Owner's thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3135 Old 06-26-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
While bulb life is a concern, I've noticed that it appears Toshiba got its shipment in and bulbs are now in stock on this continent. In the whole owner's thread only a handful of people had bulb issues. Hopefully all are solved now. I will be holding on to my old CRT HD RPTV for a few weeks after I install the new 57, just in case. If it doesn't fail quickly I should be fine.

At least the bulbs are user changeable!

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3135 Old 06-26-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 841
If my bulb fails I hope it does quickly. I need to make sure I have at least 100 hours on the bulb when it's calibrated. And once it's calibrated if the bulb gets changed it will throw all the settings off.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #543 of 3135 Old 06-26-2007, 04:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

Anybody else worried by the high rate of Tosbiha bulbs failure reported in the other bulb thread that has resurfaced on the first page again ...and the fact that Tosbiha is not ackhowledging the issue as a factory defect either and making false promises to consumers about replacement parts!!

Frag

I have never had problems dealing with Toshiba.......and you think Sony and some of these other companies are different...I can tell you some stories someday. If you like the TV get it, if you have it watch it.......Quit worrying about the bulb problem. I have a 56HM195, which all know has bulb problems in addition to the 65HM167 that is going on 2 years w/ the same bulb. . I have tested this out with Xbox 360, PS3, blueray movies, HD TV and std DVDs and TV and I have no issues. This is the best bargins out there and you are compromising nothing.
post #544 of 3135 Old 06-26-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 62
We won't know for sure about the probability of early bulb failure until these sets get some milage on them.

If Toshiba is using the same bulb as last year's model, there is a very strong probability that the bulbs will start going around 9 months of normal use.

The description of the lamp is the same as last year in the sales material, although the manual doesn't specify a part # for the lamp replacement - call Toshiba instead.

If anybody has last year's model and can pubilsh the part number of the lamp used, it would help to see if it is the same.

If the lamp is the same one, there is a possibility that Toshiba fixed some other electrical problem with the older sets that was causing the lamp to fail with so little use. My guess is that the guts of the set are the same as last year's model, with the exception being the upgrade to accept 1080p over hdmi.
post #545 of 3135 Old 06-26-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

You can get an HDMi spliter. I'm using a couple of ConnectGear HDMI 1x2 splitters. You can take the HR20 HDMI output to the HDM isplitter and send one output to the TV and one to your receiver. I use on with my PS3 and one with my VP50. The PS3 HDMIi splitter sends it to my receiver and the VP50. The VP50 HDMI splitter sends it to my Tv and my receiver. Monoprice aslo has a good HDMI 1x2 splittter. i just like the COnnectgear better since it is only 1/3 the sixe of the Monoprice one.

Thanks. so you send it out from the receiver to a splitter and then on to the receiver and TV? I have it connected now and working with the HDMI directly to the Tv and optical from the HR-20 to the 661. Do I gain anything audiowise using HDMI for audio as opposed to the optical connected to the receiver?
post #546 of 3135 Old 06-26-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

We won't know for sure about the probability of early bulb failure until these sets get some milage on them.

If Toshiba is using the same bulb as last year's model, there is a very strong probability that the bulbs will start going around 9 months of normal use.

As mentioned earlier, the lamp for HM167 models is #75007091. As far as I can tell from browsing DLP lamp merchants, this part # is only for HM167's.

In other words, a different lamp. Let's hope it is much improved!
(TV going strong and loving it)

Burned by Toshiba DLP...
Samsung LED FTW!
post #547 of 3135 Old 06-26-2007, 06:29 PM

I have a question about the silk screen effect. I had never seen it or heard of it before visiting this forum. Is it when you see a sort of glittery effect, like there's a thin translucent piece of material between you and the image? It sort of moves independent of (or lagging) the image?

I recently went to my local circuit city to take a look at the 65HM167. I was very impressed by the picture quality and the 3d pop effect, but I was seeing the effect I describe above all over the place. It was an ESPN HD baseball feed, and the SSE was on the home uniforms, the visiting uniforms, players' faces, even the outfield grass (creating a super-SSE over the whole screen). I'm not a videophile, I don't usually consider myself that sensitive to this stuff (e.g. I've never seen the rainbow effect, even when looking for it), but this was just ridiculous.

I'm fully prepared to believe that CC screwed up in setting up the unit. My question is, how much of this goes away with proper setup? Also, is there a store in the NYC area that has properly calibrated units on display? I love the value proposition and general image quality of this model, but I'm not comfortable buying it with my current level of concern over SSE.
post #548 of 3135 Old 06-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

The Silk Screen Effect (SSE).

I went through a strange loop. I bought the 65hm167 with only a quick glance. Then at home I loved it but had a defect, a few spots, in the screen. The rainbow and SSE were noticeable to me so I got scared and instead of exchanging for a new one to ge rid of the spots I went with a Sony. The SSE was much much less than the Toshiba, but I still began to see it.

Strangely, I test Happy Feet that I watched several times on my older Sony 55inch and never once thought or saw SSE effect, but now I was seeing it on the new Sony even though my old one was should have been worse. I think some how I trained myself to see SSE. Like any moment there's a pan I auto think is it there and then of course I see it. But the last year with my old sony I couldn't recall the last time I noticed it, maybe I was too worried about the bad blacks. If I ever noticed it on the old Sony, it was when the screen was white.

But then I was really missing the picture from the Toshiba compared to the sony, and then the 5inches more the Toshiba had was more of a difference than you'd expect. The Sony was 60inches and seemed small now.

I started looking again and the Toshiba came back up since with a new deal it was atleast $400 lower than the Sony and 5 inches bigger, and just plain cheap enough to live with it's flaws (SSE and RBE) to make it easy to upgrade when something better comes out, as nothing right now is perfect

I went back to Best Buy to see it again and wow, omg, no way was I getting it with that much SSE. It seem much worse than what I remember. Then I started to look at the Mitsubishi 65inch as an alternative, but man is it more expensive. Then I got scared of of that with many reports of blooming problems that kept coming back even after repairs.

Anyway, freaking out, and a super deal at One Call for memorial day, I bought the 65hm167 again online. This time I can't return it so I could no longer second guess for another tv. Right away in the normal lighting of at home the SSE was not near as bad as it was in the store, even on vivid. I sit 10 feet away and tried several trailers on the PS3 and I was jumping because I liked the picture so much and the price I paid for it.

Most the time now I have the contrast atleast 80 or lower to dim the brightess whites, and at night the bulb on low. And I start adjusting from Movie settings and keep it on medium for color. And with that the SSE is not too bad. I just watched Howl's Moving Castle and don't recall noticing SSE at all, as I'm not worrying about it or looking for it. There will be times where it can't be avoided, as I noticed it in golf with the long pans with a lot of green color.

Overall, I think when you get it how, adjust it a bit, you'll find it to be half what it was at the store or less. Then as you get into watching movies and not judging it or looking for it it will become even less noticeable. Then as I found out, even with the Sony that I think has it the best, it's still noticeable no matter what. Also, the auto iris on the Sony was too noticeable, trying to watch Lenno and the moment he waves his hand screen dims back and forth. While the Toshiba I never notice it's auto iris except with a black background to a black background with white text. To counter the Sony iris I had to set to lowest manually at night viewing to get best blacks, but then mid-range scenes were too dim and dull.

It's better at home, store makes it worse with it's lighting, if you can get it locally like Circuit City you can always return it in 30 days no questions asked. The ending question is, will the sse be little enough after adjustment to where you forget about it, but not abtrusive enough to always see it more than you'd like. Then factoring in the price and size of this tv, it's not bad.
post #549 of 3135 Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Jrk264

Dont trust the store display.....I was again at my CCity store last night (damn store is 2 mins drive away from my house so the Tosiba pulls me back like a magnet) and after calibrating the set by eye-balling, I was able to get the picture pretty close to the Sammy DLP's (which are damn close to plasmas, I think). Just by playing around with the mode, contrast, brightness, etc, I was able to get the picture quality far better than the original settings.

CCity was playing some Oceanic series off Discovery channel and after my calibration, the set looked pretty damn good and even some on-lookers commented on the set.

Im still scared of bulb issues but the 61" Sammy LED does look a little smaller sitting right next to the 65" Hitachi. And the best piece is it costs much lower (incl extended warranty) than the smaller LED sets.

One of the CCity guys did mention that the 65HM167 might go on sale sometime in late August but dont quote me on that.

Hope this helps.
Frag

PS: I felt pretty good when the salesman laughed about that I should be working there since I did such a good job at calibrating the 65HM167....I guess there's not a lot of AVS members in my area who simply walk into retail stores and start messing around with the displays

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #550 of 3135 Old 06-26-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post

I have a Harmony remote that I programmed a couple of weeks ago. I think it used remote codes for last year's HM models as it showed only 2 HDMI's and no PC input. They were easy enough to add. I wouldn't call the Harmony setup "easy" (at least it wasn't for me with my system), but if you keep at it eventually things start to work. I've only set up the "macros" so far: "Watch a movie," "Watch Tivo, "Play music," etc. I haven't looked into a way of switching from one to another while the TV is on without it turning the TV off. It would be easy if the Toshiba had discrete on & off codes.

I think there are now setups for the new models. I just updated my Harmony a week or so ago and it accepted the 65HM167 and it showed all of the inputs. There are discrete on/off codes for the Toshiba, but I am not sure you would get them in your Harmony. I got them for my older Toshiba into my pronto some time back and then last week I was able to learn them on my Harmony and they work fine for my 65HM167.
post #551 of 3135 Old 06-27-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

Jrk264

One of the CCity guys did mention that the 65HM167 might go on sale sometime in late August but dont quote me on that.

Hope this helps.
Frag

PS: I felt pretty good when the salesman laughed about that I should be working there since I did such a good job at calibrating the 65HM167....I guess there's not a lot of AVS members in my area who simply walk into retail stores and start messing around with the displays

I do the same thing. Whenever in the store, I play with the remote to try to improve the picture.

By the way, the set is on sale (10% off) ar circuitcity.com this morning (store will match it), and if you belong to the AAA auto club, you can get an additional 10%. That's how I got my set from them.

(Do a google search for Circuit City AAA coupon.)

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #552 of 3135 Old 06-27-2007, 09:46 AM

I'll have to be more assertive. The next time I visit cc I'll bring the settings from a few pages ago in this thread and try them out. Thanks all for the responses.

BTW, I'm not sure what the etiquette is on posting prices &c. here, but I called tigerdirect and they have a bunch of 65s in stock that aren't showing up on their website. They sell it for $1600 plus $180 shipping, so it's a pretty solid deal. It should be on their site soon, but in the meantime you can order it by the phone. Even if you're going to cc, they've indicated some willingness to negotiate, so once the tigerdirect site is showing availability it might be worthwhile to bring in a printout.

Jake
post #553 of 3135 Old 06-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by robre View Post

I think there are now setups for the new models. I just updated my Harmony a week or so ago and it accepted the 65HM167 and it showed all of the inputs. There are discrete on/off codes for the Toshiba, but I am not sure you would get them in your Harmony. I got them for my older Toshiba into my pronto some time back and then last week I was able to learn them on my Harmony and they work fine for my 65HM167.

Thanks. I've found I don't need the discrete codes as the Harmony remembers what it has powered on, so going from one macro (Watch a Movie) to another (Watch Tivo) doesn't power off the TV.
post #554 of 3135 Old 06-27-2007, 11:49 AM

I need to get rid of all the remotes I have all over the sofa. What types of universal remotes are all of you using/recommend. I have the 65HM167 w/ a Tosh A2 HD DVD and a Yamaha 661 and a Direct Tv HR-20 DVR.

thanks
post #555 of 3135 Old 06-27-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo164 View Post

I need to get rid of all the remotes I have all over the sofa. What types of universal remotes are all of you using/recommend. I have the 65HM167 w/ a Tosh A2 HD DVD and a Yamaha 661 and a Direct Tv HR-20 DVR.

thanks

Hondo

I bought a Logitech Harmony 550 remote (during Amazon sale) for around $70 shipped a month ago and am loving it so far..my wife luves it and she hated it when she had use 3 remotes before (1 for AV, 1 for TV, 1 for Dish) just to watch TV.

Now she simply presses the hot key to "Watch TV" and the Harmony activates all devices one by one......THOUGH dont use the software off the CD in the box....download the one from their website.

I hate major isssues when I tried to program mine and almost returned it but thank God, I decided to call the tech support and the first thing he had me to was to uninstall the older version, then download the EXE from their website and then proceed.....I was done in 15 mins

Hope this helps.
Frag

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #556 of 3135 Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Harmony 880, and it does a great job. There was a bit of work to get it tweaked just right but once it's set, it's set. I didn't program each and every control on every component so I keep all the old remotes in a drawer in the TV credenza. Hardly ever need them.

post #557 of 3135 Old 06-28-2007, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the cheap Harmony 520. The most difficult part was training my wife to use it and not use any of the other remotes. She really liked the TiVo peanut remote but once I showed her how easy it was to switch between watching TiVo, watching DVDs, Playing Xbox 360, Listening to Radio, etc. without worrying about manually changing the inputs on the TV she bought into it.

The "Activity"-based programming is genius. All of my other remotes are in a credenza drawer.
post #558 of 3135 Old 06-28-2007, 01:02 PM

Thanks guys, looking forward to string away all the other remotes. Because of the DVR I got the 670 for less than $90 delivered.
post #559 of 3135 Old 06-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Just called TigerDirect and they say they have neither the 57" or 65" in stock and that it has been discontinued. Hopefully it is OK to ask, but has anyone found a good deal on the 65" recently?
post #560 of 3135 Old 06-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesantis8 View Post

Just called TigerDirect and they say they have neither the 57" or 65" in stock and that it has been discontinued. Hopefully it is OK to ask, but has anyone found a good deal on the 65" recently?

Locally, Circuit City online price with 10% AAA coupon gets you $1780 or so, people have haggled slightly better deals at the store. I got mine at One Call during memorial day sale, but it was out of stock since then. Checking now they finally show in stock, another sign it's not discontinued. Not a great price there at the moment, but hopfully having it in stock means it could be cheaper if they put it in their 2 day weekend sales of 21 items. I got to imagine Tiger having one of the better prices.
post #561 of 3135 Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
The following is PURE speculation:
If this model has been discontinued already, it sounds like this was a way for them to repackage 62HM196 technologies, slightly update it, and rid themselves of existing inventories, etc. It seems like they want to concentrate on the LCDs. Not that I mind though, given the value factor of this set.

Thoughts?
post #562 of 3135 Old 06-28-2007, 11:59 PM

I have Abt Electronics in Chicago matching online prices. I picked up my 57HM167 for $1350. Since I'm in Chicago I paid $110 tax, but I got free delivery to my condo and they pulled it out of the box and disposed it as well

I'd give them a call and PM to any online disty.
post #563 of 3135 Old 06-29-2007, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

The DLPs are still up at the Toshiba website http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/dlp.asp so I doubt they are discontinued. Perhaps Tiger is simply not going to carry them anymore.

post #564 of 3135 Old 06-29-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

The following is PURE speculation:
If this model has been discontinued already, it sounds like this was a way for them to repackage 62HM196 technologies, slightly update it, and rid themselves of existing inventories, etc. It seems like they want to concentrate on the LCDs. Not that I mind though, given the value factor of this set.

Thoughts?

All manufacturers slightly update technology and update their yearly new models.

But going from 62" to 65" would seem to involve completely new designs somewhere along the board.

I suspct that they are selling a lot of these and can't keep up with inventory. Remember that most buyerrs do not come to these forums. they just go to the store, see this great picture on a screen larger than most of the competition at $1000 lower price.

You've got to love this new model. Oversized. Under priced. Fantastic picture.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #565 of 3135 Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 AM

I'd agree that it just might currently be out of stock at Tiger, but the agent on the phone said it was listed as "EOL" in his computer, meaning "end of life". I'm not sure if this means it really is discontinued or not, but just thought I would pass that information along.

Thanks for the CC tip - with the AAA discount that is the cheapest I can find it right now.
post #566 of 3135 Old 06-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesantis8 View Post

I'd agree that it just might currently be out of stock at Tiger, but the agent on the phone said it was listed as "EOL" in his computer, meaning "end of life". I'm not sure if this means it really is discontinued or not, but just thought I would pass that information along.

Thanks for the CC tip - with the AAA discount that is the cheapest I can find it right now.

Also, usually the CC price online is the cheapest around mid-week up to Saturday. Then when the Sunday ads come out the online price actually gets more expensive to match the store ad. As I was in the buying process this kept happening, most expensive on Sunday, gets cheaper later in the week. Even as the anticipated memorial day weekend sale came on Sunday everything got more expensive than the day before. I'd say usual Sunday price for the Toshiba 65hm167 is either no sale or $2089, but eventually you'll see lower at their site.
post #567 of 3135 Old 06-29-2007, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Have to admit I'd be a bit spooked if it is discontinued - my delivery is set for Tuesday afternoon. I'm used to obsolescence but I thought this was a relatively new model, maybe six months tops. And it is still listed at the Toshiba website.

post #568 of 3135 Old 06-29-2007, 04:42 PM

Does anyone know it the 167 series supports 24 fps because the update for a20 and xa2 are due in september.
post #569 of 3135 Old 06-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

I sent Toshiba customer support an E-mail asking if the 65HM167 was:

1. Being discontinued (no, only 2008 models will replace this TV)
2. Properly Deinterlaced 1080i>1080p (no)
3. Number of Colors on Color Wheel (they don't know)
4. Speed of Color Wheel (Customer services does not have RPM of any DLP)
5. VGA Resolutions (only 4:3)
6. Firmware update (None at this time)

I just sent another e-mail asking about 1080p24 support and possible firmware update since they are adding it to their own HD-DVD players. I expect an uneducated response.
post #570 of 3135 Old 06-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well I've been looking since Jan doing my homework and I finally pulled the plug today and bought the 65HM167. I really had been leaning to a 61" Samsung but after looking at both again decided the Toshiba was just as good, 4" larger AND a much better buy. I was able to deal and get it for $1600 (pre-tax). Getting delivered tomorrow and VERY excited!

P.S. I hope mentioning the price isn't against rules. I read them and took the rules to mean not to say I "got it for $X at Y dealer." I assume it's OK to just post the $. If not apologies and the mod can remove the $.

P.P.S Now I need a stand!

P.P.P.S Now I need to call Dish and get the HD package!!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba , Panasonic , Lcd Hdtv , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page