Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3135 Old 05-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmizner View Post

makes sense, thanks, anyone else have comment on the VGA to HDMI thing?

I'm very interested in this discussion as I am in the midst of hooking up a PC to my 65HM167. Here's the saga to date:

I picked up a used Dell GX260 small form factor (SFF) so I could slip it in the cabinet with the other components. The built-in graphics is just VGA and the set only supports 640x480 via VGA. When I first loaded up the OS (Windows XP) and hooked up the computer, it displayed fine at 640x480, but as soon as I loaded up the actual video driver, I lost visual because the lowest res it will do is 800x600. I had to chuckle, but it's not a big deal because I won't be using VGA anyway.

I ordered an Nvidia Geforce 6200 low-profile graphics card which showed up at the house today and I'll be installing it tonight. This card has DVI out and I will be using a DVI-to-HDMI converter and running this into the set via HDMI 3. That's the plan anyway. I will certainly report back and let everyone know how it goes.

I do have an audio question for anyone who may be able to answer. I have a 3MM-to-RCA cable that I'm planning to run from the computer into the TV, but will this work? Is there some way to associate this audio-in with HDMI 3? I kind of have a feeling this won't work, but look forward to any feedback.

Thanks to everyone for the picture settings- those are a huge help. Still considering a professional calibration.

Voy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3135 Old 05-18-2007, 02:06 PM

I tried to do optical in from my laptop - and I know the set doesn't have that port - however I didn't try anything further (as I'll just be running the optical to my AVR).

I would think that there's no way to associate audio with HDMI 3 on the TV since the TV is (understandably) assuming both video and audio will be transfered via HDMI.
post #33 of 3135 Old 05-18-2007, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 112
In the other thread I was posting about my parents 65" Toshiba. The lamp blew pretty much the second day! Then instead of returning it I let C.S. at Toshiba talk me into letting them send a replacement lamp out. Well, on Monday they said it was on its way. Now today when it has not arrived I called them only to be told it is on BACKORDER! Now I feel like an idiot for not just returning the tv in the first place. I told them I was returning it and now they are saying they "dug" up a spare one and will ship it on Monday! What should I do? Would you trust them? I should just return it and get another brand of tv...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 3135 Old 05-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would exchange it. They should have told you up front it was on backorder. And you still don't know for sure if it's only the lamp.
post #35 of 3135 Old 05-18-2007, 04:09 PM

Return the set for a new one and keep the new lamp as a spare.....

Don
post #36 of 3135 Old 05-18-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

I am leaning towards that. I can always keep the one they send as a spare. They deserve to have a spare after all of this anyway...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 3135 Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anybody know where to download the owners manual? Toshiba doesn't have it posted yet.
post #38 of 3135 Old 05-19-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

Anybody know where to download the owners manual? Toshiba doesn't have it posted yet.

It is available on the Toshiba site. You have to download manual for the 50" model, as that manual covers all 3 of the 2007 DLP models.

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...0HM67_om_e.pdf
post #39 of 3135 Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 PM

I have had 2 (two) times where the TV went black and it took a couple of times (resets) to come back on. 1 time the TV was on and running fine for about 2 hours before it happened. The other time it had been on for a longer time.

Should I be concerned?
post #40 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 12:25 AM
n%b

does anyone know if this tv will work in 2.35:1? I'm new at it but it sounds like it would make the tv look better.
post #41 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 04:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

rucka, I would be a little nervous because that is exactly what happened to my parents tv before the lamp blew (after just 2 days)...

post #42 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by n%b View Post

does anyone know if this tv will work in 2.35:1? I'm new at it but it sounds like it would make the tv look better.

The disc, not the tv, determines the displayed image. (As long as you set the Toshiba or any hdtv to Full as opposed to a stretched, zoom or 4:3 image.)

If the dvd is formatted to 2.35:1, the Toshiba will display it as such but with wider black bars on top and bottom.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #43 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 08:19 AM

Anyone know how to disable the speakers on this set?
post #44 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 08:24 AM

I have seen people asking for and posting settings for the TV and thought I would share an observation. Different DVD players (or any source for that matter) will probably need different settings. I have experienced that myself with different players I have had. And on my current Panasonic upconverting DVD player, I can make a lot of changes in the settings in the player itself that can make big differences requiring different settings on the Toshiba. I was having troubles getting a picture I was completely happy with. It would be very good on some DVD's and not so good on others. I finally started playing with all of the Panasonic settings, and the one that really made the big difference was the setting on the type of TV attached. There was no listing for DLP, so I tried them all. When I selected Plasma and then tweaked the Toshiba settings, I finally got my 65HM167 dialed in. Now all of my DVD's look outstanding. I believe the bigger the TV, the more it will show flaws or poor settings, so you just need to dial in the correct settings for your setup, whether it is at the source, the TV, or both. It took me a bit to get it the way I liked it, but it was worth the trouble.
post #45 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoxwells View Post

Anyone know how to disable the speakers on this set?

If all else fails, you can always press mute 2 times, at least to temporarily mute the speakers.
post #46 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 08:29 AM

Robre, thanks for the suggestion.

Im just wondering how people set this TV up to go through thier surround sound sets without having the speakers from the TV play as well.

Its a pain in the neck to mute the TV with my harmony. I just want the speakers off, heh.
post #47 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoxwells View Post

Robre, thanks for the suggestion.

Im just wondering how people set this TV up to go through thier surround sound sets without having the speakers from the TV play as well.

Its a pain in the neck to mute the TV with my harmony. I just want the speakers off, heh.

Turn the volume all the way down? Thats what I do and have no sound coming out of the speakers.
post #48 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 08:45 AM

fair enough.
post #49 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

The disc, not the tv, determines the displayed image. (As long as you set the Toshiba or any hdtv to Full as opposed to a stretched, zoom or 4:3 image.)

If the dvd is formatted to 2.35:1, the Toshiba will display it as such but with wider black bars on top and bottom.

Shelly

I believe the tv should be set to "Natural" not full. Full is for anamorphic dvd's. If set to natural the set will detect the proper settings for each input.
post #50 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody know if this set will do 1:1 pixel maping thru the HDMI inputs?
post #51 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

Anybody know if this set will do 1:1 pixel maping thru the HDMI inputs?

It should be the same as the xxHM196's, use NATURAL picture setting mode & Auto Aspect Ratio (what I use for my 62HM196 for ALL my SD & HD DVDs!).

The following is from "The Perfect Vision" Winter 2007 Magazine - Review Toshiba 72HM196 by Scott Wilkinson (some notable quotes) ...

Quote:

page 84
Looking at a pixel-phase test pattern (which indicates the relationship between the imager's actual pixel structure and the pixels in the processed image), Dave and I determined that the NATURAL aspect-ratio setting looks like a 1:1 mode -- that is, we were able to easily discern each pixel in the imager.

Conclusion

The importance of a 1:1 mode cannot be overstated when it comes to 1920x1080 content -- without it, whatever scaling the processor does definitely degrades the image. This is one reason the 72HM196 looked so good displaying HD DVDs (as long as its NATURAL aspect ratio was selected). Another factor is its apparent use of inverse telecine to deinterlace 1080i content, resulting in smooth, artifact-free motion.

page 83
The Last Word
- 1:1 mode makes 1920x1080 content look exceptionally detailed and sharp
- Excellent deinterlacing
- 12-bit processing results in smooth brightness gradients

Phil

JBL S-Series / SVS =4D

post #52 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 11:08 AM

Hey guys,

I dont have a tuning disk that has a test pattern for contrast for fixed pixel displays. For some reason, I have my contrast way down around 50 which seems to look fine. Its probably due to the fact that I was used to this with my old crts to keep them from fading over time.

At the same time, I feel as though my image is to dark when gaming sometimes. Should I set contrast a bit higher, say like 70 for one of these sets?
post #53 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piturra View Post

It should be the same as the xxHM196's, use NATURAL picture setting mode & Auto Aspect Ratio (what I use for my 62HM196 for ALL my SD & HD DVDs!).

The following is from "The Perfect Vision" Winter 2007 Magazine - Review Toshiba 72HM196 by Scott Wilkinson (some notable quotes) ...

Phil

Great news! Thanks for sharing that info. Thats how I have mine setup and it looks great. I could not find a referance in the manual so thats why I asked. I haven't connected my pc to it yet but I guess it will look very good as well!
post #54 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

rucka, I would be a little nervous because that is exactly what happened to my parents tv before the lamp blew (after just 2 days)...

The 2 occurrances happened about a week apart. it's been cool here lately so overheating shouldn't be a factor... also the time factor being so different, and that it hasn't happened again since Saturday...

I've got a couple days left on my 30 day, then there is the manufacturer warranty, and i do have the extended warranty thru CC... so i should be okay... yes?
post #55 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 01:47 PM

I just ordered a 57HM167. Unfortunately, its out of stock and will take 3-4 weeks for it to come in, and I'll be overseas during that time. So I won't have it for about 5 weeks But I think for $1450 it was a good decision. Can't wait to be an official member of this thread.
post #56 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphilby View Post

I tried to do optical in from my laptop - and I know the set doesn't have that port - however I didn't try anything further (as I'll just be running the optical to my AVR).

I would think that there's no way to associate audio with HDMI 3 on the TV since the TV is (understandably) assuming both video and audio will be transfered via HDMI.

Ok, here's how things went hooking the PC up to the 65". I'll try to keep this brief and will follow up with details for anyone interested...

- I'm using a Geforce 6200 graphics card- 256MB, AGP, DVI out, low-profile to accommodate the small form factor case I've got for the PC. Used a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and connected to the TV via HDMI 1. I was immediately looking at a Windows XP screen filling the entire 65" 16x9 screen. Thing of beauty. After a bunch of tweaking, ended up at a resolution of 1200x766 (I think, not in front of the TV right now). This gave a good balance of resolution and readability since I'm doing a lot of web surfing on this setup. Again, I have lots more detail on this part of the setup if anyone is interested.

- Great news on the audio: The reason I ended up on HDMI 1 is that this TV shares the RCA PC Audio In with the HDMI 1 input. I believe it's page 54 of the manual that explains this. Go into Audio Setup in the Menu, and set PC Audio to NO (or maybe it's OFF). This then sends audio from the PC Audio In through the HDMI 1 connection. Just connect your PC's Audio Out to this input with a 3mm-to-RCA audio cable and you're good to go. This was a pleasant surprise.

- PC has a hard wire connection to the cable modem network connectivity. A comment about watching Internet video via this setup-- It takes it to a whole new level. I watched some 720p trailers and Divx videos at full screen and it is really amazing (will try 1080p next). Even a standard Youtube video just comes off as really crappy SD television. This opens up whole new worlds of viewing possibilities.

I highly recommend connecting a computer to these sets, especially if you can get a network connection to it. Using this baby as a 65" computer monitor is really good stuff. And I haven't even tried gaming yet!

- Voy
post #57 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

I think so. If it was going to happen it probably would have by now... No worries!

post #58 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voy2k View Post

I'm very interested in this discussion as I am in the midst of hooking up a PC to my 65HM167. Here's the saga to date:

I picked up a used Dell GX260 small form factor (SFF) so I could slip it in the cabinet with the other components. The built-in graphics is just VGA and the set only supports 640x480 via VGA. When I first loaded up the OS (Windows XP) and hooked up the computer, it displayed fine at 640x480, but as soon as I loaded up the actual video driver, I lost visual because the lowest res it will do is 800x600. I had to chuckle, but it's not a big deal because I won't be using VGA anyway.

I ordered an Nvidia Geforce 6200 low-profile graphics card which showed up at the house today and I'll be installing it tonight. This card has DVI out and I will be using a DVI-to-HDMI converter and running this into the set via HDMI 3. That's the plan anyway. I will certainly report back and let everyone know how it goes.

I do have an audio question for anyone who may be able to answer. I have a 3MM-to-RCA cable that I'm planning to run from the computer into the TV, but will this work? Is there some way to associate this audio-in with HDMI 3? I kind of have a feeling this won't work, but look forward to any feedback.

Thanks to everyone for the picture settings- those are a huge help. Still considering a professional calibration.

Voy

I have a 65hm167 and got 1024x768 @60hz no problem from my desktop VGA out.

I got a new video card with DVI out and got 1920x1080 through HDMI(used a dvi to hdmi cable), the edges run over which the manual warns about.

I'm not impressed with what I see whatsoever, it's not that much better than the 1024x768, it says 1080p, but just looks like crap.

is the quality of the video card a factor? I just thought it would look better...

basically no reason to send pc output to it, it's a TV not a PC monitor...

re: the audio, good question, i had it working 3.5mm to rca adaptor, but into the PC audio in, when i was using the vga for video it worked fine, but with hdmi for the video signal i don't think i thought about audio
post #59 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voy2k View Post

Ok, here's how things went hooking the PC up to the 65". I'll try to keep this brief and will follow up with details for anyone interested...

- I'm using a Geforce 6200 graphics card- 256MB, AGP, DVI out, low-profile to accommodate the small form factor case I've got for the PC. Used a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and connected to the TV via HDMI 1. I was immediately looking at a Windows XP screen filling the entire 65" 16x9 screen. Thing of beauty. After a bunch of tweaking, ended up at a resolution of 1200x766 (I think, not in front of the TV right now). This gave a good balance of resolution and readability since I'm doing a lot of web surfing on this setup. Again, I have lots more detail on this part of the setup if anyone is interested.

- Great news on the audio: The reason I ended up on HDMI 1 is that this TV shares the RCA PC Audio In with the HDMI 1 input. I believe it's page 54 of the manual that explains this. Go into Audio Setup in the Menu, and set PC Audio to NO (or maybe it's OFF). This then sends audio from the PC Audio In through the HDMI 1 connection. Just connect your PC's Audio Out to this input with a 3mm-to-RCA audio cable and you're good to go. This was a pleasant surprise.

- PC has a hard wire connection to the cable modem network connectivity. A comment about watching Internet video via this setup-- It takes it to a whole new level. I watched some 720p trailers and Divx videos at full screen and it is really amazing (will try 1080p next). Even a standard Youtube video just comes off as really crappy SD television. This opens up whole new worlds of viewing possibilities.

I highly recommend connecting a computer to these sets, especially if you can get a network connection to it. Using this baby as a 65" computer monitor is really good stuff. And I haven't even tried gaming yet!

- Voy

oops, didn't see this at first, i find it interesting you like what you see, i think it sucks as a PC monitor
post #60 of 3135 Old 05-21-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmizner View Post

oops, didn't see this at first, i find it interesting you like what you see, i think it sucks as a PC monitor

Definitely a difference in opinion. I'm loving it.

-Voy
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba , Panasonic , Lcd Hdtv , Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page