Official Toshiba 65HM167 and 57HM167 Owner's thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3135 Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have mine set at warm, the medium seems to wash out skin tones a little too much for my taste (too much blue??)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3135 Old 07-03-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am using the Medium color temperature.

Bring the Color down to 0 and then scroll through the color temps. Only the Medium setting gives a true black and white and gray picture.

Start looking at people's faces in the streets, at the sky and at the different greens on plant foiage. This will help you recognize the more natural coors rather than the exaggerated colors many people like to use. Most people you see in the streets do not have the reddish skin color that the Warm setting gives.

This, of course, is without professonal calibration. Calibrators will start from Warm color temperature but then make internal adjustments to get the colors more accurate.

I have always believed that getting an accurate black, gray and white picture will give you accurate colors as well. Saturation level can be controlled by the color user control. For out of the box accuracy, the Medium color temperature is my preference.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #633 of 3135 Old 07-03-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

I am using the Medium color temperature.

Bring the Color down to 0 and then scroll through the color temps. Only the Medium setting gives a true black and white and gray picture.

Start looking at people's faces in the streets, at the sky and at the different greens on plant foiage. This will help you recognize the more natural coors rather than the exaggerated colors many people like to use. Most people you see in the streets do not have the reddish skin color that the Warm setting gives.

This, of course, is without professonal calibration. Calibrators will start from Warm color temperature but then make internal adjustments to get the colors more accurate.

I have always believed that getting an accurate black, gray and white picture will give you accurate colors as well. Saturation level can be controlled by the color user control. For out of the box accuracy, the Medium color temperature is my preference.

Shelly

Everyone seems to have a sunburn with warm. The medium just seems more natural. Skin tones are spot on.
post #634 of 3135 Old 07-03-2007, 01:13 PM

Maybe I'll change it to medium and then actually mess with the color settings (i just left it the same as what it was on warm, and maybe that's where my problem is)
post #635 of 3135 Old 07-03-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodeci4l View Post

How may of you guys are using the warm color setting? I found that it gives a reddish tint to everything, and the medium setting seems to be a nice balance. I know on the 196 series that the calibrators started on warm, can it be different on the 167's?

I have tried the cool or medium w/a preference to medium.
post #636 of 3135 Old 07-03-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

Hows the black levels and shadow details on this set. I've only played around with the 65HM167 in the store but my CCity has such bright lighting, its almost impossible to get a true picture.

To XBox 360 owners, does the lack of VGA input (thus getting 1080p), become a neccesity? With component, u can only get 1080i so does that gives a less superior image compared to full 1080p achievable on VGA?

BTW, Im NOT planning to upgrade my 360 to a Elite either just for HDMI

This is a shot of Splinter Cell with the 360 set to 1080p via VGA on my Dell 2407. Notice the crispness and detail....can any 360 owners please post some scrreenshots on games running at 1080i? I do know the VGA 1080p support is only for the dashboard and not for the games but still.....

1080i looked good but I bought an Elite to get 1080P over HDMI sicne I've been using 1080P over VGA since it was available. I never really compared anything specific between component and HDMI from my 360s. I just know it did look good at 1080i and no lag at all. 1080P might have introduced a miniscule amount of lag but I'm not positive. It seemed comparable to 1080P over VGa with my samsung. It's just that the few games I played at 1080i with game mode on seemed to go so much better than with 1080P over HDMI so I'm assuming it might be attributed to a tiny amount of lag but I'm not sure. I haven't played it much lately to really see if that's really the case. I'm not sure what extra processing is performed over HDMI and if it can be elimintaed. You can still turn game mode on at 1080P but I'm not even sure what the game mode does. In the manual it says it has the most benefit with 480i and 1080i but it doens't say what it's actually doing.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #637 of 3135 Old 07-03-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

1080i looked good but I bought an Elite to get 1080P over HDMI sicne I've been using 1080P over VGA since it was available. I never really compared anything specific between component and HDMI from my 360s. I just know it did look good at 1080i and no lag at all. 1080P might have introduced a miniscule amount of lag but I'm not positive. It seemed comparable to 1080P over VGa with my samsung. It's just that the few games I played at 1080i with game mode on seemed to go so much better than with 1080P over HDMI so I'm assuming it might be attributed to a tiny amount of lag but I'm not sure. I haven't played it much lately to really see if that's really the case. I'm not sure what extra processing is performed over HDMI and if it can be elimintaed. You can still turn game mode on at 1080P but I'm not even sure what the game mode does. In the manual it says it has the most benefit with 480i and 1080i but it doens't say what it's actually doing.

aaronwt

I saw this in the setting what exactly is the purpose/benefit of the "game mode"
post #638 of 3135 Old 07-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo164 View Post

aaronwt

I saw this in the setting what exactly is the purpose/benefit of the "game mode"

Game mode just disables a ton of the video processing the tv does, no noise reduction, filtering, or whatever. The goal is to get the image to the screen untouched as possible to prevent any chance of lag. It's not really needed if you don't notice any lag.
post #639 of 3135 Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post

Game mode just disables a ton of the video processing the tv does, no noise reduction, filtering, or whatever. The goal is to get the image to the screen untouched as possible to prevent any chance of lag. It's not really needed if you don't notice any lag.

It also says that Game mode with 480i and 1080i is more effective. Why is it more effective with interlaced signals?

LED DLP
post #640 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 12:10 AM

All Xbox 360 test screens

post #641 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 12:28 AM

via component on xbox 360. Moving video is twice as sharp on all these screens. Forenza 2 is so hard to get a good pick out off, and my camera is old and shi***.
But check out the fine detail on the building and realistic reflections on hood, the textures are smooth on this game but the only downside is the jaggies which is common in alot of racer games.
post #642 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodeci4l View Post

via component on xbox 360. Moving video is twice as sharp on all these screens. Forenza 2 is so hard to get a good pick out off, and my camera is old and shi***.
But check out the fine detail on the building and realistic reflections on hood, the textures are smooth on this game but the only downside is the jaggies which is common in alot of racer games.

dammit, quit posting all those l33t pictures (no, really post em! just kidding - they looks good, thanks for sharing). I cannot wait to pay off my TV (will be paid in 2 months) so I can get either HD/BR player and some game system. And get some good use out of my 2 year old blockbuster subscription.
post #643 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Fragster,
I am running via component. I may be out of my mind, but when watching HD-DVD's I run 1080i and manually switch to 720p when playing games. I MAY be wrong, but at 1080i the Xbox is sending 60 frames per second, and this TV is a progressive only set, so when the interlaced frames are combined progressively, we only see 30 fps. At 720p the 360 is sending out 60 progressive frames per second and the TV is scaling to 1080p @ 60 frames per second. I may be wrong, if I am please someone correct me.

I would love to upgrade to the Elite for 2 reasons. No switching between 720p for games and 1080i for movies and I am hoping the deinterlacing of HD-DVD's is better in the 360 than in the TV...though the TV is pretty good.

BTW, HD-DVD's via component are stunning!!! I upgraded from a Panasonic 50" 3LCD running 720p via VGA.
post #644 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thx guys!! To be honest, the component pics look upto par to what Im getting at 1080p via VGA And with the massive screen, the details/textures, especially the background details are breath-taking.

Good to know I don't have to upgrade to a Elite now...may use that fund to pick up a PS3 instead since I already have the Toshiba HD-A2 for HD movies

I already have about $1K saved from my work bonuses so I'll only have to spend another $1k on my Amex card so paying the TV off in 6 months would be easy.

The ONLY thing holding me back right now is the durability of DLP's in general. To make things worse, my 1 yr old son has started walking and is already playing with my 57" CRT RPTV set. Last night, we were watching Apolocypto and he turned the TV off twice within 5 mins. Then he ran towards the screen and hit it with his hands. This is where the greatness of CRTs come in and my TV is continuing to take the abuse with no issues ...yet.

I finally have my wife agreed now since we'll only be spending a grand out of the pocket on the 65HM167 but its reliability and bulb issues are holding me back, especially with having a 1 yr old in the house, who's having fun with the power button on the TV

At the same time, I'm not going with anything less than 65" so plasmas/LCDs/LED's are out...

Is anybody else in my situation and has a DLP set with toddlers in the house? If so, any issues? Also, does the 65HM167 has an option to disable the front controls on the TV so u can only power it on/off via the remote?

Thx again
Ray

Appreciated
Ray

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #645 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 01:15 PM

I was worried about updating to Elite, but as most people have said, the introduction of HDMI wasnt a huge leap in pic quaility, if you have a quality tv, and it can do proper deinterlacing, the difference isnt very noticiable. I was very impressed with the quality of HD DVD add on playback. Its topnotch on the video side. I've toggled betweep 1080i and 720 for movies and gaming, and the difference in minimal on both fronts. The quality of scaling is good on both the xbox and the Tosh. This is a very underated tv in my opinion, it doesnt excell overly in one area, but is great in many. I think its one of the best overall RPTV on the market right now, regardless if i own it or not. This tv has been a best sellerin many outlets, sad to see Tosh leave these quality sets behind and move on to lcd, plasma.
post #646 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wish View Post

I'm having a small issue with my new Toshiba. Everytime I change channels or inputs the close caption turns on. I'll go to the menu and set it back to "OFF" and it will be OK till the next time I change channels. Not a showstopper but very annoying. It wasn't this way the first two days so something got switched but I can't find where. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Problem solved. It was becuse I had the TV muted. The first few days, before I had everything properly hooked up, I was listening through the TV speakers. After running audio thru the receiver I started listening via the stereo speakers and muted the TV. When you mute the TV it seems that CC is enabled unless you turn it off. Change channels with the TV muted and the CC is enabled again. I just turned the sound to 0. I'm sure that there's a way to just disable the internal speakers in the setup but I'm too lazy right now. Playing more with the setup would take away from watching more TV.
post #647 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the 57HM167 delivered yesterday.

Very impressive, yes. A few very minor issues that can be calibrated away (a small green bias, mostly). Having more screen real estate is amazing.

Only real problemette at the moment is that my Harmony remote doesn't understand this model's inputs and does not switch them correctly (stops too soon). I will have to call customer support to get them to straighten that out I guess.

But the set itself is a stunner. My wife is loving it. I suspect it'll be some time before I see the inside of a movie theater.

DVDs look OK but I know my next big ticket item will be a BluRay!

Thanks to everyone here for their help in researching this set.

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
post #648 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

Thx guys!! To be honest, the component pics look upto par to what Im getting at 1080p via VGA And with the massive screen, the details/textures, especially the background details are breath-taking.

Good to know I don't have to upgrade to a Elite now...may use that fund to pick up a PS3 instead since I already have the Toshiba HD-A2 for HD movies

I already have about $1K saved from my work bonuses so I'll only have to spend another $1k on my Amex card so paying the TV off in 6 months would be easy.

The ONLY thing holding me back right now is the durability of DLP's in general. To make things worse, my 1 yr old son has started walking and is already playing with my 57" CRT RPTV set. Last night, we were watching Apolocypto and he turned the TV off twice within 5 mins. Then he ran towards the screen and hit it with his hands. This is where the greatness of CRTs come in and my TV is continuing to take the abuse with no issues ...yet.

I finally have my wife agreed now since we'll only be spending a grand out of the pocket on the 65HM167 but its reliability and bulb issues are holding me back, especially with having a 1 yr old in the house, who's having fun with the power button on the TV

At the same time, I'm not going with anything less than 65" so plasmas/LCDs/LED's are out...

Is anybody else in my situation and has a DLP set with toddlers in the house? If so, any issues? Also, does the 65HM167 has an option to disable the front controls on the TV so u can only power it on/off via the remote?

Thx again
Ray

Appreciated
Ray

Toddlers? Duct tape.

Actually the controls are on the lower part of the right side of the tv as you face it, not on the front. You can use an empty plastic container that holds 6 oz. fresh raspberries to cover all the buttons, or the plastic cap from a bottle of water to cover just the on/off button, held in place with some tape. The other buttons won't work unless the power button is first pressed so your youngster won't change any sttings for you. You won't see the plactic cap when viewing head on as the button panel is slightly recessed from the screen.

Also the front of the screen is plexiglass so it can absorb some thrown objects and hand prints but it could scratch just like the front of your crt.

The set is fantastic and you will have all of these same concerns/problems with any set you purchase so might as well get the best bang for the buck with the 65HM167.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #649 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma601 View Post

DVDs look OK but I know my next big ticket item will be a BluRay!

Thanks to everyone here for their help in researching this set.

I don't want to get into a BR/HD dvd conflict but sd dvd played through my Toshiba XA2 HD dvd player are near hd quality. Simply the best quality sd dvd I have ever seen.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

post #650 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

I don't want to get into a BR/HD dvd conflict but sd dvd played through my Toshiba XA2 HD dvd player are near hd quality. Simply the best quality sd dvd I have ever seen.

Shelly

HaVE you made any adjustments to the settings you posted. The others are using tint -30 whereas you are using 0. I find the -30 a bit reddish so I am using -10.
post #651 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post

HaVE you made any adjustments to the settings you posted. The others are using tint -30 whereas you are using 0. I find the -30 a bit reddish so I am using -10.

I am finding that my universal swttings work for all 3 of my hdmi connections--Toshiba XA2, Comcast HD DVR and Dish 211.

My Contrast is at 90, my Brightness is at 45, Tint at 50, Color at 50-55 depending on source but usually at 50, Dynamic Contrast is High, Color Temp is Medium and Lamp is Low. All other settings are default.

I started with the Movie setting to take advantage of it's more accurate color decoding and internal settings.

At night in the total dark, I often just switchto Movie or Standard ratherr than move my Contrast and Brightness around.

I have perfect black and white, no colorations at all, and all my flesh tones are accurate to my eye.

Again I urge you to start paying attention at the flesh tones of the people you pass during the day. Very few have a reddish skin tone.

Although I had planned to get my new set calibrated, I see no need for this now. Can the picture be improved, perhaps, but as long as I am happy with the flesh tones and black and white, I will leave things as is and not have a professional calibration at this time.

I am betting that the professional reviews will talk about the accurate color decoding of the 65HM167.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

post #652 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post

Other than calibration discs, and if you want to do it by your own eyes, the best way to use the Tint is to see how it affects the red of the American flag or a Stop sign(Happy 4th to all!!). We can easily know what the red of these two items should be.

Any shopping channel also is perfect to see what the colors should be as they are live studio feeds.

If you move the Tint to the left to give it a minus number, the red leans to purple. Too much to the right to a plus number and it can go to orange (yellow).

I do not find too much difference (but there is some) between -10 and 0 so the range of shift must be very gradual. I cannot imagine using a setting of -30 on my set.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

post #653 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

To those that have purchased online,etc, where did u get the extended warranty from?

Frag

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
My small HT setup:

post #654 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I got my extended warranty for my 65HM167 from here.

http://tapeworkstexas.com/mack_warranty_combo.html

The pricing is for AVS members. That was the TV and bulb warranty. It covers 3 years after the manufacturers warranty ends and up to 2 bulb replacemnts.

The TV only warranty is here.
http://tapeworkstexas.com/mack_warranty_tv_only_.html

Which is also great for an LCD. And the pricing we get seems to be pretty good.

These are links to the MAck warranty from Tapeworks with the AVS discount pricing.

LED DLP
post #655 of 3135 Old 07-04-2007, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These are links to the MAck warranty from Tapeworks with the AVS discount pricing.

Bookmarked!

Thanks Aaron.....Techdepot appears to have the best price but doesn't seem to be popular for an online store...my local Sears also wont price-match them as TD is not an authorized Tosh dealer

Ray

My small HT setup:

post #656 of 3135 Old 07-05-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma601 View Post

Only real problemette at the moment is that my Harmony remote doesn't understand this model's inputs and does not switch them correctly (stops too soon). I will have to call customer support to get them to straighten that out I guess.

Chroma and other Harmony users-

I'm interested in getting a harmony for my 65HM167 and other components-- do these remotes have the capability of programming multi-step functions to a single button? I'm specifically wondering about switching a currently viewed 480i channel to Theatrewide 1. Right now I have to keep the Toshiba remote handy because my STB remote doesn't seem to access the TV's menu. Is there a particular model of the Harmony I would need to get this functionality?

Thanks,
Voy
post #657 of 3135 Old 07-05-2007, 10:58 AM

Normally I would be pretty pissed about buying something and two weeks later finding out its getting discontinued. This time though I am really pleased I was able to get such a high quality and large sized tv for the price. My 65 has such a beautiful picture I'm still floored every time I turn it on. Just going to purchase and extra bulb and ride this baby out for a few years.
post #658 of 3135 Old 07-05-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I was thnking of buying another one and keeping it in storage until needed.

Shelly

Had 6 dishes, now none.

post #659 of 3135 Old 07-05-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Since 1.3 will be compatible with future revisions of HDMI, should I be worried about getting a HDTV that only has HDMI v1.2?

Will 1.3 become a primary standard within the next 2 years and make my current 1.2 set 'inferior'?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before.

Frag

My small HT setup:

post #660 of 3135 Old 07-05-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The only downside to pre-purchasing a bulb is that they will likely sit unused while the warranty on the replacement gets used up.

Most lamps come with a time based warranty that starts when you buy the lamp.

If it is a dud, or fails prematurely, after sitting idle for a couple of years, you're out the cost of the lamp.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba , Panasonic , Lcd Hdtv , Sony