Official Toshiba 65HM167 and 57HM167 Owner's thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3135 Old 07-11-2007, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My lamp just went out. I had only gotten this tv like a week and a half ago. I'm going to try and return it to the place I bought it. If they don't act fast then I'll go with Toshiba.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3135 Old 07-11-2007, 08:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Better for it to go out sooner than later. I just hope mine is fine. With my luck it will go out a week before my ISF calibration. Then I would have to cancel since you need around 100 hours on the bulb before it settles down. And you don't want to get it calibrated until the lamp is more consistent in the output.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #723 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Better for it to go out sooner than later. I just hope mine is fine. With my luck it will go out a week before my ISF calibration. Then I would have to cancel since you need around 100 hours on the bulb before it settles down. And you don't want to get it calibrated until the lamp is more consistent in the output.

Anyone have pics to post of their tv in action?
post #724 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What ever became of the HD HQV Benchmark test discrepancy regarding how the 167 deinterlaces 1080i? I'm in the market for a HD DVD and was reading with interest that thread about 6 pages back and it just seemed to stop with no conclusion. I'm in limbo between the A2, A20 or XA2. If I read correctly the A20 has an issue that even though it is 1080p it gets there via deinterlacing but doesn't do it correctly. Therefore it would come down to the A2 or XA2, which would be dependent on whose test results (areyou4real or Phil's) were more accurate.
post #725 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 01:48 PM

Well, I'll be going through this weekend without a TV. The soonest they can get a new one out to me is Tuesday. I just hope this next one will last me a long time. I don't like going through life without watching tv on the 65"
post #726 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish View Post

What ever became of the HD HQV Benchmark test discrepancy regarding how the 167 deinterlaces 1080i? I'm in the market for a HD DVD and was reading with interest that thread about 6 pages back and it just seemed to stop with no conclusion. I'm in limbo between the A2, A20 or XA2. If I read correctly the A20 has an issue that even though it is 1080p it gets there via deinterlacing but doesn't do it correctly. Therefore it would come down to the A2 or XA2, which would be dependent on whose test results (areyou4real or Phil's) were more accurate.

It comes down to this,
A2=TV deinterlaces=Fantastic Picture
XA2=Player deinterlaces=Better than Fantastic Picture if you even notice

The A20's advantage over the HM167 series *may* be better scaling of 480i content to 1080p.
post #727 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM

So...After threading through page after page, it's clear as mud... I just started looking at buying 65HM167 this week and am comparing it to a 50" Sony KDS-50A2020 and Samsung HL-T5076S...Of course, you get a bigger set, but it seems just like other sets, there is always going to be one thing or another...

So help me out, are most of you gald you bought it?
post #728 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

I came from a 50" 3LCD and would buy the 65HM167 again if had to do it again. There will always be a trade off with all electronic devices, but at the end of the day I have a 65" 1080p TV.

I am just blown away by everything it does!!
post #729 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrj_gamz View Post

So...After threading through page after page, it's clear as mud... I just started looking at buying 65HM167 this week and am comparing it to a 50" Sony KDS-50A2020 and Samsung HL-T5076S...Of course, you get a bigger set, but it seems just like other sets, there is always going to be one thing or another...

I love it. You can't even compare it to a 50" set. This is my second Toshiba DLP. I have watched Blueray, HD DVD and HDTV TV, PS3 and x-box games on it and it is fantastic. For the money it can't be beat, in fact I put it right up there w/ TVs that are $800 - $1000 more. My other Toshiba DLP TV is still kicking strong and after 2 years I have never had problem with either set.
post #730 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 PM

I am also very glad to have bought this set. I think the bigger the better. If you comparing a 65 to 60 then there is no comparison as long as the picture quality is still good. From the choices you gave I would definately go with the toshiba 65hm167. But if you compared other 65 or 67 inch sets then you could make an argument for another set as long as you are willing to pay more. Just don't pay the same or more for a smaller set. This may not be the best set in the world but it is damn good and looks nice.
post #731 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Oh yea I'm happy with it but not happy that I had to exchange the set twice due to black specs that most of you can live with. I would choose the Tosh 65 over those small 50 inch.. well 65inch is getting smaller and smaller.............. =p
post #732 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broketoo View Post

Oh yea I'm happy with it but not happy that I had to exchange the set twice due to black specs that most of you can live with. I would choose the Tosh 65 over those small 50 inch.. well 65inch is getting smaller and smaller.............. =p

As with most electronics, things are constantly improving/changing. If you wait for the perfect TV, you will never have one. My 65HM167 is outstanding in every way. Thankfully, I have had none of the problems some have noted. Right out of the box, the picture was good and after calibration, even better. Size, price, and contrary to the opinion of some, I think it look great, I don't think it can be beat. I have a 3 year warranty, and who knows, in 3 or 4 years, there may be some vast improvements with a lower price. Several years ago I saw a 55", highly recommended set, but the SD effect was very bad unless you were 20' away. This set looks great to me 10' away. If I had it all to do over again, I would have done it sooner.
post #733 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

As I recall, areyou4real was going to test again but never came back. Nothing was resolved; we had two different interpretations of the stadium test results.
post #734 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 PM

I, too, just got the 65. So far, we like it a lot. My wife's concerned about the bulb thing (as is everyone else). So I was wondering if it's a good idea to simply stockpile a spare bulb?

Some related obvious questions:

* How hard is it to change bulbs?
* Does it make sense to test the spare bulb in the TV before putting it into storage?
* Is this as incredibly dumb as it somewhat seems? **

**For the last question, we must factor in the family harmony reduction when the TV isn't working vs. spending $240 for a spare.

Oh, and what's the difference between the 75007091 and the 75007091X? These dudes (http://www.vancebaldwin.com/products/?75007091) list both.

Thanks!
post #735 of 3135 Old 07-12-2007, 09:43 PM

Wow, thanks for all the help...I am leaning toward the Toshiba, well, because its bigger and you get more for the $$$...I have a Toshiba projection TV now, that was great for 7-8 years, but now it doesn't turn on unless I unplug it and plug it back in..I guess that's was my real concern, but as stated, there is no perfect TV and honestly, that's the only problem I've ever had...

That being said, I can get it for around $1800 online at buydig.com, butterfly photo and beach camera...anyone had experience with them...Of course, I still have to buy the TV Stand...
post #736 of 3135 Old 07-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow, thanks for all the help...I am leaning toward the Toshiba, well, because its bigger and you get more for the $$$...I have a Toshiba projection TV now, that was great for 7-8 years, but now it doesn't turn on unless I unplug it and plug it back in..I guess that's was my real concern, but as stated, there is no perfect TV and honestly, that's the only problem I've ever had...

That being said, I can get it for around $1800 online at buydig.com, butterfly photo and beach camera...anyone had experience with them...Of course, I still have to buy the TV Stand...

Check out their ratings at www.resellerratings.com

I think beachcamera gets a high rating.
post #737 of 3135 Old 07-13-2007, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

vhato/koan,

Thanks for the responses on the interlace test results (or lack of ). I might hold out till Christmas for the DVD player. Prices should drop more & maybe some news comes out regarding the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray battle. I'm leaning towards the A2. I watch more live TV than DVD and just want something that will upgrade my SD collection and allow me to watch the occasional rental in HD. The A2 sounds like it will fit the bill without breaking the bank. Also considering the Onkyo DVCP704 changer as it can be had for $99 & free shipping. For that price I could tread water for a while.
post #738 of 3135 Old 07-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I just received my 65hm167 and matching stand from buydig.com. Very good experience.

Alex
post #739 of 3135 Old 07-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

...I might hold out till Christmas for the DVD player. Prices should drop more & maybe some news comes out regarding the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray battle. I'm leaning towards the A2. I watch more live TV than DVD and just want something that will upgrade my SD collection and allow me to watch the occasional rental in HD. The A2 sounds like it will fit the bill without breaking the bank. Also considering the Onkyo DVCP704 changer as it can be had for $99 & free shipping. For that price I could tread water for a while.

Buying the A2 over the Onkyo gives you HD and upconversion. Buying now instead of Christmas gives you the 5 free HD DVD rebate (limited selection though) and 5 months of much improved PQ. If HD DVD eventually loses the battle, you still have a nice upconverting unit that will also continue to play any HD DVDs you have acquired. My philosophy anyway. I'm enjoying my A2 and Netflix HD DVD rentals now.
post #740 of 3135 Old 07-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post

Buying the A2 over the Onkyo gives you HD and upconversion.

The DVCP704 does 1080i upconversion. Regardless I'm sure the A2 does a better job. It just seems like a viable option at $99.

Don't mean to hijack the thread by discussing HD DVD players. Initially the discussion was relevant since the DVD considerations were related to the way the 167 deinterlaces.

You make a good point about the 5 DVDs (although I'm not excited about the titles) and enjoying it for 5 months. I'll take those into consideration.
post #741 of 3135 Old 07-13-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outraegis View Post

I, too, just got the 65. So far, we like it a lot. My wife's concerned about the bulb thing (as is everyone else). So I was wondering if it's a good idea to simply stockpile a spare bulb?

Some related obvious questions:

* How hard is it to change bulbs?
* Does it make sense to test the spare bulb in the TV before putting it into storage?
* Is this as incredibly dumb as it somewhat seems? **

**For the last question, we must factor in the family harmony reduction when the TV isn't working vs. spending $240 for a spare.

Oh, and what's the difference between the 75007091 and the 75007091X? These dudes (http://www.vancebaldwin.com/products/?75007091) list both.

Thanks!

I've suffere the premature lamp death, and I bought a 3 year warranty. If I didn't have the warranty, I would certainly buy a spare lamp as a back up. I loved the tv when it worked. The night it stopped working, I was watching band of brothers dvd, and it looked nearly hd.
post #742 of 3135 Old 07-13-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post

I've suffere the premature lamp death, and I bought a 3 year warranty. If I didn't have the warranty, I would certainly buy a spare lamp as a back up. I loved the tv when it worked. The night it stopped working, I was watching band of brothers dvd, and it looked nearly hd.

Band of Brothers > *

Couldn't count how many times I watched the whole DVD set.
post #743 of 3135 Old 07-13-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post

My lamp just went out. I had only gotten this tv like a week and a half ago. I'm going to try and return it to the place I bought it. If they don't act fast then I'll go with Toshiba.

Sorry to hear this. Did your TV get turned on and off frequently, or go through a power outage? The power cycle is what usually causes premature burnout. Also, did you have the power-saving or fast setting on? By setting it on fast, the fans continue to run after powering off to allow proper cooling time.

Burned by Toshiba DLP...
Samsung LED FTW!
post #744 of 3135 Old 07-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlternative View Post

By setting it on fast, the fans continue to run after powering off to allow proper cooling time.

Really? I did not know that. I'm on power save but maybe I'll switch.

What do others do?
post #745 of 3135 Old 07-13-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:

What do others do?

Fast
post #746 of 3135 Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 PM

Hi, I just bought the 57hm167 DLP and will be recieving it tomorrow. I have been looking at stands for about a week. I have a 200.00 budget on a stand. I would like it to be black and have room for an onkyo reciever, and a PS3 and probably the directtv box. Any suggestions on where to buy one, or if someone would recommend theirs to me. I have seen suggestions for the 65" TV but none really for the 57". Dimensions would be helpful. Thanks Peter
post #747 of 3135 Old 07-14-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:

What do others do?

I'm on fast. I would like to know the difference between the two mode other than the startup time.
post #748 of 3135 Old 07-14-2007, 06:23 AM

Here are some owner reviews of 3 RPTVs take from Circuit City. The Toshiba TV is 600-1000 dollars cheaper then the Samsungs, when shopping on Pricegrabber.
5 is the max score you can get.

Samsung (HL-T6187S)
Picture quality 4.3
Sound quality 4.3
Features 4.0
Cost-Benefit 4.3
Overall 4.3

Samsung HL-T6176S
Picture quality 4.5
Sound quality 4.2
Features 4.5
Cost-Benefit 4.5
Overall 4.4

Toshiba 65HM167
Picture quality 4.5
Sound quality 4.2
Features 4.3
Cost-Benefit 4.5
Overall 4.4
post #749 of 3135 Old 07-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

I recently read in this forum (don't know if it was this thread) a suggestion to use composite instead of HDMI for viewing SD signals. So I figured I'd try, hooked it up and initially thought it was better. However what I realized was that the picture difference was in the cables but the settings. I had changed the HDMI to match the suggestions of other on here while the composite settings were OOTB. Other than being too bright I thought the composite was better! It had more of the "pop" people talk about.

To make a long story short I've realized that I HAVE to but a calibration disc! What I'm watching is a great picture but now understand that it can get quite a bit better.
post #750 of 3135 Old 07-14-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:

What do others do?

I can verify TheAlternative's claim. Look at page 6 on your manual. I'll quote it:

7) This TV contains several cooling fans to moderate
the internal temperature. You may be able to hear
the fans for several minutes after the TV is turned
off. This is a function of the Power-On Mode
feature and is not a sign of TV malfunction. You can set
the Power-On Mode feature to stop the fans as soon as the
TV is powered off. See Setting the Power-On Mode
feature (- page 35
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba , Panasonic , Lcd Hdtv , Sony

User Tag List