Official Toshiba 65HM167 and 57HM167 Owner's thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3128 Old 05-24-2007, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fragster,

I have my 65HM167 hooked up to a PS3. The graphics are okay. Not nearly as good as a high def movie via the PS3 though (the high def movie picture is great). Perhaps it depends on the title, but Tiger Woods 07 outputs 720p, and there are quite a few areas that just aren't clear, especially during movement. Gran Turismo HD has the same thing. Just some odd spots that show up during action. You'll see color flickering between 2 shades on the same object sometimes. Doesn't really take away from the gameplay though. Overall it plays fine. But I do notice it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3128 Old 05-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcot View Post

Have an Xbox 360 and will be going VGA any specs on the max resolution that the VGA input can handle? Thought I heard it could not handle 1080 hope this is not the case.

Toshiba's VGA maxes at 1024 × 768. Only the 3 HDMI inputs handle 1080p.
post #93 of 3128 Old 05-24-2007, 08:58 PM

Can SSE be toned downed by adjusting the settings without sacrificing PQ. I'm still pretty sure i'm getting the sets(2 of em ) Just want to be prepared to live with it if I can't. I liked the Sony 60A2020 but not bright enough for my tastes. Also, has anyone been successful talking any of the B&M stores down using the incredible TechDepot price for the 65"er, the old ball & chain doesn't trust online ordering, especially for something this big and expensive.

Thanks for reading
post #94 of 3128 Old 05-24-2007, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Stopped by Sears today as I had to buy a small compact freezer since hot,hot summer is almost here in Sacramento...meaning more BBQ's so lots of meat on hand

Anyway, they had the Toshiba 65" hooked up to Blu-Ray player and were playing the demo disk with Spiderman/Ultraviolet/Shrek demos on it and man.....the Shrek demo was so breath-taking and the grass looked like I could actually touch it.......very cool and was surprised Sears were demoing the Toshiba as their main 1080p set and the newer Samsung LED's and the 65" Mitsubishi were around the corner.....makes me think they are trying to push the sales on the Toshiba more than the other 65" sets.

Anyway, the salesmen were less pushy than WorstBuy so I had some time to myself without a pesty salesman trying to force me buy a $2k TV on the spot

I know with such DLP sets, u r supposed to leave the bulb in "low light" mode but I noticed that in that mode, the picture gets softer and the crispness and detail gets lost in a big way. So if I leave the mode to 'high', would that mean the bulb would get die prematurely?

Im a avid movie watcher+360 gamer (opposite for TV shows though) so Im looking at approx 5 hrs a night usage every day and weekends, my TV would be on for the post part so based on this, should I stay away from DLP sets..period?

I like this a lot, especially for the price and something that wont give me 'buyers remorse' ever but would the technology come back and bite me in the rear a year later?

Im planning to buy buy the extended warranty thru Mack afterwards if that counts.

Any CRT owners who plunged onto this set?

Thanks in advance and thanks to the people that PM'ed me too. U guys are great

Frag
PS: Im happy to report that I think Im one of those few people that dont notice rainbows or SSE (at least on the BR demos)!!

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #95 of 3128 Old 05-24-2007, 09:51 PM

Thundercat,

I used the TechDepot price to talk down BB. Like you, I didn't want to order it online. They wouldn't match it of course, but got the difference less than a couple hundred bucks, if you include shipping for both. I didn't mention that I was getting my warranty elsewhere until after I talked them down.
post #96 of 3128 Old 05-24-2007, 10:42 PM

Thanks RBP,

I've been researching for a year now while waiting for my house to be finished(katrina Flood got me and my three CRT's. Replacing em with 2 sixty-fives and a sammy hlt4676S). I'm hoping to be home for Fathers day and hope to catch a good sale as the begining point of intensive negotiations. I have gone from Sony to sammy to mits and now to Tosh, and after a year of reading and research I think I'm done finally. Thank god I don't see RBE!!!I'm hoping to use the TD warranty as a bargaining chip as well. It's a pretty good price as well, but like I said the old ball & chain is scared of taking a chance at saving some real Latinum. Will let know how it goes
post #97 of 3128 Old 05-25-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercat99 View Post

Can SSE be toned downed by adjusting the settings without sacrificing PQ. I'm still pretty sure i'm getting the sets(2 of em ) Just want to be prepared to live with it if I can't. I liked the Sony 60A2020 but not bright enough for my tastes. Also, has anyone been successful talking any of the B&M stores down using the incredible TechDepot price for the 65"er, the old ball & chain doesn't trust online ordering, especially for something this big and expensive.

Thanks for reading

I have the 57". The only SSE I'm getting is not very noticeable and it's only in the brightest areas of whites (sun on snow, glaring highlights, etc.) No rainbows, no geometry problems anywhere on screen, even in the corners. No overscan. The reds are pushed a bit but you can modulate that somewhat with some fiddling. The PQ is great.

Tell the ball & chain she's absolutely right about needing to buy local, and that it's the best idea yet. Then, pick up a Polk Audio SurroundBar for each set and tell her it's a necessary part of the package along with the stand for each TV and the surge protectors.

Seriously, I surfed hard for four months and haunted this forum and others before I bought the Toshiba. During that time I leaned this way and that, first to the Samsung, then to the Sony SXRD, back to the Samsung, then to the JVC and back to the Sony. All of 'em had pluses and minuses.

Never looked once at any Toshiba until I saw the 57JM167 at HHGregg. It was a 1080p the size I wanted at the price point I had to have to keep peace in the valley at home. The picture was/is drop-dead great.

The Toshiba is not an enthusiast's television, apparently. The threads here in this forum are quite different from those in other brand's forums in that they are not nearly as technically oriented.

Sony, Samsung, and others seem to attract a large share of gear-heads who are more interested in understanding and tweaking and fiddling with and writing about HDTVs than they are in what's being shown on screen. And criticizing them. And advocating them. And comparing them. It's like a cult, almost. Sometimes they have problems and they're terribly dissapointed, and say so loudly and at length in the forums.

As I wrote in an earlier posting, I did the gear-head thing already back in the day with the first PC's. Understanding the underlying technology of HDTV is interesting, but not mesmerizing. I wrote that I want to just plug it up, turn it on, and be amazed. And that's what I've got with the Toshiba.

FEU
post #98 of 3128 Old 05-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

I know with such DLP sets, u r supposed to leave the bulb in "low light" mode but I noticed that in that mode, the picture gets softer and the crispness and detail gets lost in a big way. So if I leave the mode to 'high', would that mean the bulb would get die prematurely?

I wouldn't call it premature, but I would think that the bulb wouldn't last as long in high bright mode compared to low mode. I would disagree that the picture gets softer. However, there is some illusion that the colors are less vibrant, but I actually prefer low lamp mode in a dark room, as there is less strain and the PQ is not really affected. Perhaps you can compromise by using high bright during the day.
post #99 of 3128 Old 05-25-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer View Post

I am strongly considering the 65HM167. My current set is a 50" Toshiba that has been running hours and hours every day for the past 10 years with no problems whatsoever! I would like to "reward" Toshiba for this excellence by purchasing my next set from them.

Nonetheless, as I make the SD to HD transition. One of the *many* things that I need to add now is a stand. I hate the idea of spending an extra $300 on furniture when it could be going to a new DVD player or XBox 360 but I can't get around it.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a stand for this TV? The cheaper the better. Unfortunately, I can't use a plain old coffee table as I need to store components as well...

Thanks,
D

The 58" Techcraft stand fits it perfectly...
post #100 of 3128 Old 05-25-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredU. View Post

I have the 57". The only SSE I'm getting is not very noticeable and it's only in the brightest areas of whites (sun on snow, glaring highlights, etc.) No rainbows, no geometry problems anywhere on screen, even in the corners. No overscan. The reds are pushed a bit but you can modulate that somewhat with some fiddling. The PQ is great.

Tell the ball & chain she's absolutely right about needing to buy local, and that it's the best idea yet. Then, pick up a Polk Audio SurroundBar for each set and tell her it's a necessary part of the package along with the stand for each TV and the surge protectors.

Seriously, I surfed hard for four months and haunted this forum and others before I bought the Toshiba. During that time I leaned this way and that, first to the Samsung, then to the Sony SXRD, back to the Samsung, then to the JVC and back to the Sony. All of 'em had pluses and minuses.

Never looked once at any Toshiba until I saw the 57JM167 at HHGregg. It was a 1080p the size I wanted at the price point I had to have to keep peace in the valley at home. The picture was/is drop-dead great.

The Toshiba is not an enthusiast's television, apparently. The threads here in this forum are quite different from those in other brand's forums in that they are not nearly as technically oriented.

Sony, Samsung, and others seem to attract a large share of gear-heads who are more interested in understanding and tweaking and fiddling with and writing about HDTVs than they are in what's being shown on screen. And criticizing them. And advocating them. And comparing them. It's like a cult, almost. Sometimes they have problems and they're terribly dissapointed, and say so loudly and at length in the forums.

As I wrote in an earlier posting, I did the gear-head thing already back in the day with the first PC's. Understanding the underlying technology of HDTV is interesting, but not mesmerizing. I wrote that I want to just plug it up, turn it on, and be amazed. And that's what I've got with the Toshiba.

FEU

Interesting points Fred. You are absolutely right about the tenor of this forum being a bit different than some of the others and I think that's great. I'm really into how cool this TV is (I've got the 65HM167) and I spend lots of time getting the PC hooked up to it, trying to get the best picture, etc., but I swear some of the folks on these boards lose all joy in their big screens because they can't get things absolutely perfect.

Dim the lights, put on your favorite content and think about how incredibly cool this giant TV is that you've got in your home.

- Voy
post #101 of 3128 Old 05-25-2007, 06:25 PM

Thanks FEU

How much is that sound bar thingy the wife doesn't want any surround on hers (go figure) and says the max I can spend on one for mine is six hundred plus tax and warranty. That limits it to the sony ht7100(which sounds great to my novice ears) or this nice sounding denon setup I saw at C City. Yes I know i can build a better piece meal system, but those two meet and exceed my needs and wants. I'm not an audiophile in any way and those two htibs sound pretty damn good to me.

Definitely gonna pull the frelling trigger as soon as I can
post #102 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 08:23 AM

I had been considering, and looking at the Samsung DLP's [either 56 or 61"] for awhile now, since before they came out with the Slim models ... However, I stumbled across this Toshiba 65" in an ad, then saw it in the local CC store, and it looked great ... Question is, are Toshiba's made equivelant to the Samsungs or Sonys? As in, is the quality as good ... you always hear about Sony and Samsung, but, is that just because of their marketing or, is there a real reason I should not save a few hundred bucks and get a bigger 1080p TV from Toshiba?
post #103 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 08:41 AM

I am returning my Mitsubishi WD-65731 for Tosh 65HM167. I wasn't really too happy with the picture quality, especially in black levels - along with greenish tints and crooked screen. It's probably defective but store doesn't carry that model anymore. There's no local stores has 65732 - only online and I don't really want to purchase a big TV online and later not wanting it anymore. I saw the Tosh TV at the BB store, comparing to newer ($2999.99 regular priced) WD-65733, Toshiba ($1999.99 on sale, $2199 regular) wins in my book. Only had to pay $140 dollars in difference from exchanging with WD 65731. We'll see when it's being exchanged/delivered on Tues. Will try post back!
post #104 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post

I had been considering, and looking at the Samsung DLP's [either 56 or 61"] for awhile now, since before they came out with the Slim models ... However, I stumbled across this Toshiba 65" in an ad, then saw it in the local CC store, and it looked great ... Question is, are Toshiba's made equivelant to the Samsungs or Sonys? As in, is the quality as good ... you always hear about Sony and Samsung, but, is that just because of their marketing or, is there a real reason I should not save a few hundred bucks and get a bigger 1080p TV from Toshiba?

Toshibas rate up there with the Samsungs and Sonys in reviews. (Consumer Reports has 3 Toshibas at the top of its March 2007 review.) The current models are too new for reviews.

Look at the other forum threads and you will see that all brands have had their issues at one time or another. Consumer Reports says "Repair rates for Toshiba DLP sets for the first year haven't been as high as for some other brands." Nevertheless, extended warranties are generally recommended for rear projection TVs. There have been a number of threads on the various extended warranty plans available.

If you see rainbows on DLPs (most don't), you may want to stick with Sony or JVC.
post #105 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the advice. I see no rainbows, but I did see that screen door effect ... although only when the screen had bright whites, and what not, and it is possible I was too close to the TV in the store ... at home it would be in my basement, and seating would be about 10-12 feet away ...
post #106 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 11:57 AM

One-Call currently has a nice deal on the 65HM167
post #107 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

I'm really enjoying my 65HM167, especially for the price, but I still think it has two areas for improvmenet.

1) SSE is a problem. It's pretty much always there, especially in bright scenes. Much of the time you are too busy watching the programming, but it definitely takes a bit of enjoyment out of watching some scenes.

2) Black levels are little high when watching movies in the dark. For example, the "black" bars in 2.35:1 movies look too grey. I suppose this is the current state of DLP technology, though the particular sets from Samsug or sets from Sony may be a bit better in this regard. Contrast ratio is a little weak here.

Otherwise, I love the set.
post #108 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

I'm really enjoying my 65HM167, especially for the price, but I still think it has two areas for improvmenet.

1) SSE is a problem. It's pretty much always there, especially in bright scenes. Much of the time you are too busy watching the programming, but it definitely takes a bit of enjoyment out of watching some scenes.

2) Black levels are little high when watching movies in the dark. For example, the "black" bars in 2.35:1 movies look too grey. I suppose this is the current state of DLP technology, though the particular sets from Samsug or sets from Sony may be a bit better in this regard. Contrast ratio is a little weak here.

Otherwise, I love the set.

Were the gray bars after you had turned the bulb to low mode and set the iris to the lowest it can go and tested to see if brightness settings was contributing to the gray at all. Also, did you have any ambient light, even a bias light behind the tv? I just want to know if you had it under the most optimal situation for the best blacks it could achieve.

While the price is right on this tv, something like the 60a2020 Sony is not too much more with the right sale, but you lose 5 inches and again pay more. The blacks will never be perfect on any rear projection right now in total darkness, and even the Sony has SSE to some extent. Would you still live with the Toshiba despite all this?

I have the 60a2020 right now and until tuesday to return it and 1 call seems to have a good sale this weekend only on both the tvs.
post #109 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have every bit of 5 hours to return my 65hm167, I will go ahead and keep mine. I want size and keep the price under $2000, I was going to get the WD-65831 but that had SSE too. My budget was $2000 so I think I got the best set for that price.
post #110 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 02:05 PM

For the price/size, I don't think you can beat it ...
post #111 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post

Were the gray bars after you had turned the bulb to low mode and set the iris to the lowest it can go and tested to see if brightness settings was contributing to the gray at all. Also, did you have any ambient light, even a bias light behind the tv? I just want to know if you had it under the most optimal situation for the best blacks it could achieve.

While the price is right on this tv, something like the 60a2020 Sony is not too much more with the right sale, but you lose 5 inches and again pay more. The blacks will never be perfect on any rear projection right now in total darkness, and even the Sony has SSE to some extent. Would you still live with the Toshiba despite all this?

I have the 60a2020 right now and until tuesday to return it and 1 call seems to have a good sale this weekend only on both the tvs.

Sometimes I use a bias light, and sometimes I leave a light on in the adjacent room, depending on my mood. More light does improve perceived black levels. Screen is on low lamp mode and has been adjusted using DVE. However, when I call the screen grey, I mean it's not pitch black. I would agree with your assessment that you cannot really get the kind of optimal black levels out of a RPTV right now. Still, it's something that bothers me from time to time.

I haven't watched the Sony long enough to know about the black levels, however, I do know that it has a lot less SSE. You can definitely still see it though. I guess you have to go to an LCD or Plasma to completely eliminate it.

I think I would still get the Toshiba, because I have a large room and need the size, but you never really know until you have both at home. The Toshiba still seems pretty good in all other areas, and may be comparable in contrast ratio, though the Sony may have lower black levels. Haven't seen any spec comparisons.
post #112 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 07:10 PM

Do the component inputs do 1080p as well as the HDMI?
post #113 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

Sometimes I use a bias light, and sometimes I leave a light on in the adjacent room, depending on my mood. More light does improve perceived black levels. Screen is on low lamp mode and has been adjusted using DVE. However, when I call the screen grey, I mean it's not pitch black. I would agree with your assessment that you cannot really get the kind of optimal black levels out of a RPTV right now. Still, it's something that bothers me from time to time.

I haven't watched the Sony long enough to know about the black levels, however, I do know that it has a lot less SSE. You can definitely still see it though. I guess you have to go to an LCD or Plasma to completely eliminate it.

I think I would still get the Toshiba, because I have a large room and need the size, but you never really know until you have both at home. The Toshiba still seems pretty good in all other areas, and may be comparable in contrast ratio, though the Sony may have lower black levels. Haven't seen any spec comparisons.

Even the Sony isn't perfect on blacks, enough to still complain about. The 24 finale episode was mostly night with a lot of dull low detail shots, so the blacks really stood out as you only can catch dim detail like a black helicopter taking off into a black night sky just looked bad. And with the dark shots lasting so long your eyes really adjust, making the blacks worse.

Lastly I tried a 15 watt warm yellow light behind the tv with testing for Matrix, which has a lot of night shots and dark rooms in the begining. I think the light helped, but it was far from what I hoped. And getting the blacks low enough with the min iris and power save made the screen in most mid range scenes seem to lack punch. But overall, the blacks were not good, but not horribly bad since it was only near full black shots that looked horrible, if there is some bright bits of detail, it wasn't that bad.

I'm thinking even with the Sony I'm still going to want to upgrade when something comes out that really changes things so I think I can live with the Toshiba for less instead knowing I didn't pay too much. Even with the low price I got at CC for the Sony, if I got the Toshiba from 1 Call with no tax I'd save $460, and be well under $2000 range.

Maybe the next gen tvs will send signals to our brains and manually control the iris of our own eyes to improve blacks
post #114 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Tim

Its good that u are still posting in the Tosh thread even after returning the set for the Sony..........I guess deep down there, the 65" of widescreen goodness plus the 'justificable' price keeps calling u back, huh? ;-)

Frag

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #115 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 08:56 PM

Nice! I was just searching the web for a TV forum to ask some input for this TV, and I'm so glad I found this site! Anways, I just purchased the 65" inch version of this DLP TV today, and I just wanted to get some advice from you experts here on what to do first when I get it. Keep in mind, this is the FIRST time ever I'm going to own an HDTV so I'm going to need all the advice and help I can get to make sure I get the most out of this monster!
post #116 of 3128 Old 05-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

Hey Tim

Its good that u are still posting in the Tosh thread even after returning the set for the Sony..........I guess deep down there, the 65" of widescreen goodness plus the 'justificable' price keeps calling u back, huh? ;-)

Frag

I wake up with tvs on my mind, I go to bed with tvs on my mind. If the Sony fully satisfied my need I guess that wouldn't be the case, but it is. For the price right now for memorial day weekend, I just can't pass it up. I'm waiting til tonight to see exactly what Best Buy deals will be with Toshiba after hearing they will have 3 year no interest on select Toshibas, making it slightly worth while even if it was more compared to online, and I do have a 12% coupon.

The only other tv I have on my mind is that 73inch Mitsu 73732, but I need a new stand for that and I passed up the matching stand at a closing Compusa a week or so ago that was 90% off down to $45. I should of bought it even if i didn't know I was going to get the tv, it was just so darn cheap.
post #117 of 3128 Old 05-27-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was looking at the owners manual and on page 66 in gives the specs for the HDMI inputs and it shows 1080P (24/60) as an option. Does this mean the set will accept and display at a multiple of 24 and not just 60 Hz?

Has anybody tried the PS3 with the new firmware that allows 24 frame output? This would be excellent news if true!

This is the list of HDMI input resolutions.

Suggested formats:
1080p (24/60Hz)
1080i (60Hz)
720p (60Hz)
480p (60Hz)
480i (60Hz)
post #118 of 3128 Old 05-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

I was looking at the owners manual and on page 66 in gives the specs for the HDMI inputs and it shows 1080P (24/60) as an option. Does this mean the set will accept and display at a multiple of 24 and not just 60 Hz?

Has anybody tried the PS3 with the new firmware that allows 24 frame output? This would be excellent news if true!

This is the list of HDMI input resolutions.

Suggested formats:
1080p (24/60Hz)
1080i (60Hz)
720p (60Hz)
480p (60Hz)
480i (60Hz)

That would be cool. But I wonder if it just accepts 24hz and converts it to 60hz for display, I know, that would make no sense but it has been the case with tvs.

I'm off to return the Sony, possibly, maybe, I think I'm sure for the Toshiba, either through 1 Call or Best Buy if they make a decent deal with their 3 year no interest.

If I was told this tv displayed 24hz, I'd be sold right now 100%. Right now I know the SSE will bother me, and I do see plenty of Rainbow, but I just still haven't got that wow factor I did with it than the Sony, and the Sony is no perfect tv either so why pay more for it when I know I'll want to replace it sooner or later too.
post #119 of 3128 Old 05-27-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I hope someone hooks up a PS3 and tests this. I have one, but I'm currently layed up in the hospital and can't try it myself.
post #120 of 3128 Old 05-27-2007, 03:12 PM

I could be wrong but I believe I read somewhere it is 24 FPS on 60hz.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba , Panasonic , Lcd Hdtv , Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page