DLP Lamps - where to buy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 05-24-2007, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody know where to locally buy a DLP lamp for my samsung? I purchased one online through amazon and it came defective. That was 2 months ago and I still do not have a working TV. I am in Houston, TX. I would rather not purchase online again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-29-2007, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

ok does anybody know a good online retailer to buy the lamps then?
post #3 of 30 Old 05-29-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by eejk View Post

ok does anybody know a good online retailer to buy the lamps then?

Samsung parts

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 Old 05-31-2007, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

A source that has good prices on OEM lamps is

http://www.discount-merchant.com/

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area:
post #5 of 30 Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Buy the lamps from the manufacturer. These forums are full of horror stories of people troubleshooting their TV's startup problems, shutdown problems, etc. only to find out days or weeks later that they were caused by the aftermarket lamp

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #6 of 30 Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Liked: 11
Stick with Philips or Osram bulbs. My Philips from discount-merchant is over 7000 hours and still going.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Buy the lamps from the manufacturer. These forums are full of horror stories of people troubleshooting their TV's startup problems, shutdown problems, etc. only to find out days or weeks later that they were caused by the aftermarket lamp

How could a bulb cause all those issues ?
post #8 of 30 Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post

Quote:

How could a bulb cause all those issues ?
First off, it's a lamp not a bulb, and there IS a difference. They have different current ratings, ballast requirements, and different fitments. Also, there are lots of Chinese knock offs being marketed as OEM. The OP discovered this the hard way. These TVs have computers, and refuse to operate when the lamp is out of spec.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #9 of 30 Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:

First off, it's a lamp not a bulb, and there IS a difference. They have different current ratings, ballast requirements, and different fitments. Also, there are lots of Chinese knock offs being marketed as OEM. You discovered this yourself, the hard way. These TVs have computers, and refuse to operate when the lamp is out of spec.

I discovered this ?

Wasn't me your confused.

Ok a bulb is a lamp............same thing,

Fitment ...it either fits the socket or it doesn't.

Ballast... it either starts the bulb/lamp or it doesn't.
On this type of bulb the ballast only is there for start up.

If the current ratings are off the bulb would be dimmer or brighter or not work at all if far enough off.

Highly doubt it would cause all these other issues.............can the attitude.
post #10 of 30 Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I confused your post with the OP. But you asked. so I tried to help. No attitude at this end. You don't have to believe a word of what I tried to tell you. Enjoy your TV.

post #11 of 30 Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

First off, it's a lamp not a bulb, and there IS a difference. They have different current ratings, ballast requirements, and different fitments. Also, there are lots of Chinese knock offs being marketed as OEM. You discovered this yourself, the hard way. These TVs have computers, and refuse to operate when the lamp is out of spec.
After trying lamps from other than the manufacturer, I learned exactly what you have stated above.

Once you learn the lesson, you buy strictly from the manufacturer.

When it comes to DLP lamps, value is what counts.
post #12 of 30 Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Moorman View Post

Sunday I was watching the TV (WD-82840) and I heard a loud pop and the picture went out. Okay - 18 months old it is about time the lamp blew. It was shattered inside the case (the lower part of the filament exploded). I ordered a new one and it arrived in 2 days. I installed the new one and - no picture. I power cycled the unit and the picture came up - looked great! Watched it for a few hours.

The next morning it would not start. The green LED would come on for about 2 minutes then go to RED. It will now occasionally start and look good as new. Other times it just won't start. I think I can hear/feel the fan running near the lamp. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I may have double posted - sorry)

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Moorman View Post

UPDATE: The lamp from Mitsubishi worked like a charm. ...and solved my hard starting issue.

Cheers!

post #13 of 30 Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Wow, you found a few out of thousands of bad bulbs.

I mean wow
post #14 of 30 Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Maybe you missed your own quote about the Mits bulb shattering ?

Where is your comments on that ?

Lets be even handed.

I'll bet no one has ever got a bad Mits bulb ever ?

Either it works or it doesn't.

A bulb will light or it won't but it won't cause any other issues.

Too simple of a device to cause what some are claiming.............
post #15 of 30 Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 AM

There is also the joke about about how many ........ does it take to screw in a light bulb.

Some people couldn't program a vcr and I am supposed to believe they can do this simple operation correctly ?
post #16 of 30 Old 01-19-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Wow, you found a few out of thousands of bad bulbs.

I mean wow

Quote:

There is also the joke about about how many ........ does it take to screw in a light bulb.

Some people couldn't program a vcr and I am supposed to believe they can do this simple operation correctly ?

Is there someone in particular you're replying to or are you just arguing with yourself?
post #17 of 30 Old 01-20-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

Is there someone in particular you're replying to or are you just arguing with yourself?

Love it when folks feel the need to inject themselves into a conversation without actually adding a damn thing to it.
Troll much ?
post #18 of 30 Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Guys, the op posted this in 2007 lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #19 of 30 Old 01-20-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Love it when folks feel the need to inject themselves into a conversation without actually adding a damn thing to it.
Troll much ?

I'm pretty sure the method for conversation is by using the quote button. I'm also pretty sure there's professional help available for your problem, ask your doctor. I'll leave you to yourself now.....bye,bye.
post #20 of 30 Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

I'm pretty sure the method for conversation is by using the quote button. I'm also pretty sure there's professional help available for your problem, ask your doctor. I'll leave you to yourself now.....bye,bye.

You are the one feeling necessary to add nothing to this conversation but your almighty higher than us attitude.

A bulb is a lamp and cannot cause all the problems most are stating. Too simple a device. Some are smartasses and others are lucky to tie their own shoes. Which category you in smartboy ?

Take your quote and well you'll figure it out.
post #21 of 30 Old 01-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Actually knock off lamps can and will cause issues, these are not simple "bulbs". You can measure the resistance in a simple "bulb", try it with one of these lamps. These take thousands of volts to fire and then must maintain a specific spec to keep fired. The ballast does not "just" fire the lamp, it keeps it lit.
Toshiba DLP's are notorious for being picky with lamps.

You don't have to stay with the manufacture since they do not make the lamps but should stay with only quality names for life and function.

Knockoff housings cause more issues yet, I personally have run into that, where I ended modifying a OEM compatible lamp and housing to work.
post #22 of 30 Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM

Beg to differ, an ohm meter can check a ballast as well for an open or etc.

I will agree a bad bulb/lamp could flicker or be dimmer than the factory bulb or even brighter.

That is all it could do.

Housings are another issue entirely and the person doing the installation is the elephant in the room.
post #23 of 30 Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

You cannot check the lamp with an ohm meter, it is that simple. You can check components of the ballast with an ohm meter. Not sure you want to try checking the ballast output with your average meter though smile.gif

A bad lamp can also cause the ballast not fire or continue to keep the lamp lit.

Why are you fighting this? It is all true. Are you trying to go on theory or do you have real experience with several lamps and ballasts?

What does the installer have to do with an incorrectly made housing????
For ex. I purchased an "OEM compatible" lamp and housing for a Sony LCD projection, the lamp worked but not until the housing was modified to work - I had to use a die grinder to modify the housing - and yes it was the correct part number.
post #24 of 30 Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 PM

So you are saying an ohm meter cannot detect an open ?

Please.

Yes some here have no business trying this..............it is much more likely they didn't get the bulb/lamp inserted completely
than a bad bulb or lamp.

I have replaced three of these..............fixed every one. One was a Mits bulb, others were chinese.

Whatever, you clowns have fun
post #25 of 30 Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Sure an ohmmeter can detect an open, it just can't be used to test the lamps - since they are not resistive lamps.

Next you will tell me that you can test a mercury vapor lamp with an ohmmeter.

Projector lamps CANNOT be tested with an AMP or OHM meter. Projector lamps function by igniting ultra-high pressurized mercury vapor accross an ARC tube. At the point where the mercury vapor resides there is no conductive electrical material and therefore testing a projector lamp with an AMP or OHM will not work.

Testing a projector lamp is impossible to do with your typical household electrical equipment. You must buy specific testing machines when testing projector lamps.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_test_a_projector_lamp#ixzz2IgFWXx8t

Light source

DLP technology is light-source agnostic and as such can be used effectively with a variety of light sources. Historically, the main light source used on DLP display systems has been a replaceable high-pressure mercury-vapor metal halide arc lamp unit (containing a quartz arc tube, reflector, electrical connections, and sometimes a quartz/glass shield), but in many newer DLP projectors high-power LEDs or lasers are used as a source of illumination. In fact, ALL pico category DLP display units use LED illumination.
post #26 of 30 Old 01-25-2013, 01:48 PM

Tagging along.

I have a 2010 Mits 82838 and my bulb is at 4,230 hours. I can definitely tell that the bulb is significantly dimmer, most likely because our set has a ton of turn-on turn-off cycles.

I couldn't find my OEM bulb on that discount-merchant site?

Can anyone share a place to order OEM bulbs at a discount?
post #27 of 30 Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO710HD View Post

Tagging along.

I have a 2010 Mits 82838 and my bulb is at 4,230 hours. I can definitely tell that the bulb is significantly dimmer, most likely because our set has a ton of turn-on turn-off cycles.

I couldn't find my OEM bulb on that discount-merchant site?

Can anyone share a place to order OEM bulbs at a discount?

Here's a post I did on lamp sources: http://www.avsforum.com/t/584936/official-2005-sony-kdsr-50-60xbr1-sxrd-owners-thread/23850#post_22548077
post #28 of 30 Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

A source that has good prices on OEM lamps is

http://www.discount-merchant.com/

I would steer clear of discount merchant. They do their best to make it look like they are OEM, but none of their bulbs are. The one I received had a nearly identical housing, with a totally different bulb. It is not as bright, has tons of light spill out the fan port, and takes 5 minutes to warm up at a minimum. I don't trust it as far as I could throw it, and instead of being $300 for a Newegg replacement it is $200 when you can go to another retailer that tells you it is not OEM and pay $100. Also, their return policy includes a %25 restocking fee and must be in 30 days even though the warranty is 90 days. They don't even care if your projector will display an image, if the light functions when the receive a return, they consider it fully functional. Buyer beware.
post #29 of 30 Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 AM

Liked: 832
Niosales on EBay is the real deal. Their prices are pretty fair too.
post #30 of 30 Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 AM

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page