Samsung 720p Owner's Thread --- HLTXX75S DLP Models - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Rear Projection Units > Samsung 720p Owner's Thread --- HLTXX75S DLP Models

Rear Projection Units

cnile's Avatar cnile
07:09 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 372
05-30-2007 | Posts: 25
I couldnt find a forum on the new Samsung HLT5075S that I just bought so I am starting one.

The QAM tuner works nice, but I cant figure out how to name my channels...can it be done?

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/D...T5075SXXAA.asp
intendedaccel's Avatar intendedaccel
10:20 AM Liked: 10
post #2 of 372
05-30-2007 | Posts: 54
Thanks for doing this. I was going to do it myself after mine arrives on friday. I ordered the HLT5675S from vanns as well. Ordered on Monday, shipped Tuesday, set to deliver on Friday. I'm impressed so far!
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
10:52 AM Liked: 481
post #3 of 372
05-30-2007 | Posts: 24,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnile View Post

I couldnt find a forum on the new Samsung HLT5075S that I just bought so I am starting one.

That's a good idea.

Plan on using your first post and the edit command to build a single location for the "best" information from your thread about the HL-Txx75 model sets.
gpcollen1's Avatar gpcollen1
12:34 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 372
05-30-2007 | Posts: 8
I got mine a month or so ago as a replacement for my 5067. They could not find a service rep that would come to my house to fix it. Funny thing is that i am not even in the boonies.

Anyway - I love it so far. It is a bit crisper and brighter than the 5067 - in that it stands up to light in the room a bit better. I like the all black console too. I have not had that much time to play with everything due to travelling for work and little kids in the house.

The only dislike so far is the amount of light that comes out the rear left of the site and the fact that all the inputs go in the rear right. I assume the opening and escape of light is to allow more airflow but the inputs in that spot instead of centered are contrary to existing wiring and how entertainment units constructed.
cnile's Avatar cnile
01:26 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcollen1 View Post

The only dislike so far is the amount of light that comes out the rear left of the site and the fact that all the inputs go in the rear right. I assume the opening and escape of light is to allow more airflow but the inputs in that spot instead of centered are contrary to existing wiring and how entertainment units constructed.

I usually imagine that manufacturers *mostly* do certain things for a reason. I would guess that the projector and the mirror are in the back of the tv, and to make it as slim as possible, they had to put the inputs to one side. It is definately an amzaingly slim projection tv and uber light!
01:30 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 372
Quote:

I usually imagine that manufacturers *mostly* do certain things for a reason. I would guess that the projector and the mirror are in the back of the tv, and to make it as slim as possible, they had to put the inputs to one side. It is definately an amzaingly slim projection tv and uber light!

I think it is because you can wall mount these tv's, where the old ones you could not.
cnile's Avatar cnile
01:36 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by intendedaccel View Post

I think it is because you can wall mount these tv's, where the old ones you could not.

Oh really? Do you have a link to the wall mount?
02:17 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 372
Quote:

Oh really? Do you have a link to the wall mount?

I can't remember where I read that, but I'm 99% sure that's the case. I looked on Samsung's site and didn't see anything.
cnile's Avatar cnile
07:55 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 372
Guys, I need some serious help. I had a ton of QAM channels listed after I took the tv out of the box and went through the Plug & Play menu. I wanted to scan again and see if there was anything new, and when I did, it removed ALL of the HD channels - since then I have scanned like 4 more times and still no channels. Not sure what I am doing wrong. My cable is plugged into ANT1/Cable and I choose Cable when doing the scan and STD. It finds 73 channels, I see it scan up to 130 or so, but I never seen it scan any channels with the "-" or dash in the channel number...any clues?
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
09:27 PM Liked: 481
post #10 of 372
05-30-2007 | Posts: 24,867
Quote:

Guys, I need some serious help.

Given that you don't have a big owner community the best bet would be to call Samsung for help.
TheCableMan's Avatar TheCableMan
08:58 AM Liked: 11
post #11 of 372
05-31-2007 | Posts: 419
Quote:

Guys, I need some serious help. I had a ton of QAM channels listed after I took the tv out of the box and went through the Plug & Play menu. I wanted to scan again and see if there was anything new, and when I did, it removed ALL of the HD channels - since then I have scanned like 4 more times and still no channels. Not sure what I am doing wrong. My cable is plugged into ANT1/Cable and I choose Cable when doing the scan and STD. It finds 73 channels, I see it scan up to 130 or so, but I never seen it scan any channels with the "-" or dash in the channel number...any clues?

Try setting you tv to HRC instead of STD. I work for the cable company and that what we do to get channels in. Your tv will scan in all the analog channels then scan in digital channels to. You might have dupplicat channels when you done. For instance you will have 2 channels of everthing one for analog and one for digital. Just keep changing your settings till you get something. Fell free to ask any questions.
gimphboi's Avatar gimphboi
12:16 PM Liked: 10
post #12 of 372
05-31-2007 | Posts: 310
Anyone have any suggested settings yet for our models?

I'll put mine out here as a start:

Contrast 90
Brightness 20
Color 45
Tint (Middle)
Sharpness 0

DNIE Off
Gamma 0
White Balance 0

I'm curious as to everyone's opinion regarding the overscan on these sets. It seems like it is cutting a good bit of the picture off in some cases.

-Tony
stroonz's Avatar stroonz
01:24 AM Liked: 10
post #13 of 372
06-01-2007 | Posts: 6
I recently got a 5675 as a replacement for my HLN 5678 that went bonkers on me on Super Bowl Sunday of all days. I like the set but have noticed that the picture gets cut off at the bottom of the screen on any of the Component or HDMI inputs. I know it's not the cable box because I tried another on it and I also have an Xbox 360 going into the Component 1 input and it does it too. the picture is fine through the QAM tuner and I think it's only on the HD channels. I have a HDD recorder going into Component 2 and that looks fine. That's 480p. I also hooked up the Xbox and SA 8300HD DVR to a new LCD Samsung I bought recently and it works fine. If it's not too much trouble can someone check ESPNHD and see if when the score ticker runs along the bottom of the screen if you see the gold bar on the left of the screen and the ESPNHD logo on the right has a little space under it. In HDMI, I can't see the gold bar and the bottom of the ESPNHD bug is cut off. When there's no ticker at all, the transparent ESPNHD logo is almost completely gone on the right. If anyone has this problem please let me know. If not, I'm going to get them to replace this one with the 5676 they promised me in the first place. I should have waited!!!!!
General Klinger's Avatar General Klinger
01:20 PM Liked: 10
post #14 of 372
06-03-2007 | Posts: 171
I ordered the HL-T 5075S from Bestbuy, and should be delivered tomorrow I will post up soon
cnile's Avatar cnile
07:40 PM Liked: 10
post #15 of 372
06-03-2007 | Posts: 25
I originally got mine from BB, but you should reallly check out vanns.com and theirs also comes with a Logitech programmable remote.
08:39 PM Liked: 10
post #16 of 372
06-03-2007 | Posts: 171
Quote:

I originally got mine from BB, but you should reallly check out vanns.com and theirs also comes with a Logitech programmable remote.

Yeah, but I don't get the same warranty through them. Bestbuy is 8 miles from my house
85vdub's Avatar 85vdub
10:05 PM Liked: 10
post #17 of 372
06-03-2007 | Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Klinger View Post

Yeah, but I don't get the same warranty through them. Bestbuy is 8 miles from my house

Vann's offers extended Warranty's as well. I bought one from them about 3 weeks ago. it died after 4 days. They payed to ship it back and sent me a new one no questions asked. I just hope this one don't puke on me...
09:26 AM Liked: 10
post #18 of 372
06-04-2007 | Posts: 54
Well my HLT5675S from Vanns got delivered on Friday. Here are my unboxing pictures. http://picasaweb.google.com/intended...ion/SamsungDLP

Overall very happy with both the TV and the purchase experience from Vanns.

The QAM tuner works well after figuring out what "mode" to use for it. My set has little to no bowing of the picture. One tip I can give those that are going to use it with a HTPC is this. I have mine hooked up with a dvi to hdmi cable into hdmi 1. On out of the box settings, the TV overscanned horribly and the picture was shifted down a good inch or two. This made me way bummed out, as I was used to the 1 to 1 pixel mapping of the westie LCD I had before. By chance, I was playing around in the menu yesterday and happened to change the label of hdmi 1 to PC. WOW! Totally changed the way the tv was scaling the picture. I was able to bump up the resolution out of my HTPC to full 720P, and even at that it still underscans a bit, but it's even (1/2" of black around every side of picture). I haven't tried to go any higher than 720P, which may resolve the slight underscan that I'm seeing. As for the picture quality, compared to my 42" 720P 1 to 1 pixel mapped westinghouse LCD I had before, the picture is not as sharp for text, general computing, etc, but I would say it is solidly good and totally usable. The picture for either OTA HDTV through beyond tv or upscaled dvds through zoomplayer + ffdshow totally surpass the picture the Westinghouse was capable of. Out of the box the set doesn't have very accurate colors, but that can be fixed with tweaking. I'm waiting for someone smarter than me to post some starter settings for these sets for that. The black levels are fantastic (at least compared to the direct view LCD I was used to)!

Anyhow, very happy with this set so far overall.
cnile's Avatar cnile
01:54 PM Liked: 10
post #19 of 372
06-04-2007 | Posts: 25
My tv just arrived here from Vanns. The other one is going back to BB. Thanks for the tip on renaming hdmi to pc. I would have pulled my hair out trying to figure that one out! It worked.

Now I wish I knew why they dont let you rename digital channels - I am just viewing qam hd channels right now, and hd content from my pc. If I want to view hd from my pc, I should set my pc's resolution to 1280 x 720 right?
01:55 PM Liked: 10
post #20 of 372
06-04-2007 | Posts: 171
Well mine was just delivered. So far it looks great. Picked up the local HD channels temporarily till Comcast can setup my HD service tomorrow.

I am running into a problem with my XBox 360 though. I have the output set to 720P and the gamemode turned off, and I get very faint wavey lines. I tried setting it to 1080I output, and while it gets better, it's still noticable. Any suggestions?
02:19 PM Liked: 10
post #21 of 372
06-04-2007 | Posts: 54
Quote:

If I want to view hd from my pc, I should set my pc's resolution to 1280 x 720 right?

Correct
03:05 PM Liked: 10
post #22 of 372
06-04-2007 | Posts: 171
Huh? Well I tried running the component cables from the XBox directly to the TV, and no waves. I wonder why my receiver is doing that. Well it doesn't matter, I didn't need to run it through the receiver, the audio is coming optically to it anyways. Now my XBox 360 is absolutely stunning!
majormoves's Avatar majormoves
10:01 AM Liked: 10
post #23 of 372
06-05-2007 | Posts: 16
My 5075S will be delivered tomorrow and its replacing my 1st love which was the HP5020N. I hope this TV can live up to the HP. I hope I don't get any of my picture cutting off because if I do its going back to BM pronto!
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
10:21 AM Liked: 481
post #24 of 372
06-05-2007 | Posts: 24,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormoves View Post

My 5075S will be delivered tomorrow and its replacing my 1st love which was the HP5020N. I hope this TV can live up to the HP. I hope I don't get any of my picture cutting off because if I do its going back to BM pronto!

Do you mean overscan?

If your HP doesn't have TV overscan then you might as well keep it. All other TV sets I know about do have overscan. In fact, they have had overscan from day one.
cnile's Avatar cnile
12:46 PM Liked: 10
post #25 of 372
06-05-2007 | Posts: 25
I didnt know what overscan was either, so if you want to read about it, you can read about it here: Wikipedia Overscan

So....when I view letterbox dvd's, why is there still a border at the top and bottom?

This is an excellent source for answers to questions you may not have even thought to ask yet: Samsung Popular Questions
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
02:04 PM Liked: 481
post #26 of 372
06-05-2007 | Posts: 24,867
Quote:

So....when I view letterbox dvd's, why is there still a border at the top and bottom?

You can read about black bars using the link at the bottom of my post.
ghettofab's Avatar ghettofab
05:41 AM Liked: 10
post #27 of 372
06-06-2007 | Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcollen1 View Post

I got mine a month or so ago as a replacement for my 5067. They could not find a service rep that would come to my house to fix it. Funny thing is that i am not even in the boonies.

Anyway - I love it so far. It is a bit crisper and brighter than the 5067 - in that it stands up to light in the room a bit better. I like the all black console too. I have not had that much time to play with everything due to travelling for work and little kids in the house.

yea I was wondering about the light coming from the side also. With the room dark the light is kinda distracting. Any ideas on this? My friend bought one saturday and I'm think it looks great. The picture is comparable to my older sammy but, I haven't had time to play with the settings yet so we'll see if it gets better.
gpcollen1's Avatar gpcollen1
08:33 AM Liked: 10
post #28 of 372
06-06-2007 | Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettofab View Post

yea I was wondering about the light coming from the side also. With the room dark the light is kinda distracting. Any ideas on this? My friend bought one saturday and I'm think it looks great. The picture is comparable to my older sammy but, I haven't had time to play with the settings yet so we'll see if it gets better.

I just put one of the kids toys back there or a picture frame in order to deflect the light a bit when watching in total darkness.
cnile's Avatar cnile
07:38 AM Liked: 10
post #29 of 372
06-08-2007 | Posts: 25
Is there a digital audio output on this set?

I just noticed that when I am watching digital channels, I dont get audio through my stereo reciever.
08:04 AM Liked: 10
post #30 of 372
06-08-2007 | Posts: 54
Quote:

Is there a digital audio output on this set?

I just noticed that when I am watching digital channels, I dont get audio through my stereo reciever.

Yep. Been using it since day 1 with great results.

Reply Rear Projection Units

Subscribe to this Thread