Advertisement

post #182 of 466 Old 11-25-2007, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahm View Post

can anyone post anymore pics? looking to buy this set from amazon and Im inches away from pulling the trigger.

Sure, here is my 50" trying to blend in with the girlfriends decor. No flash on HD pic at mid-afternoon with blinds closed.
post #183 of 466 Old 11-25-2007, 05:23 PM

Liked: 10
thanks guys....I saw this set in person and I was even more impressed.
post #184 of 466 Old 11-26-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinrazer View Post

here's a pic of my 46" w/ the sony stand
standard def cable in the pic
i think the old cerwin's look out of place next to the TV
time for an upgrade

Where can I get that stand for my tv?
post #185 of 466 Old 11-26-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonal View Post

Where can I get that stand for my tv?

part number is Sony SU-RG13M

i purchased mine at vanns.com with the tv
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...52?v_c=BizRate

Overall its a decent stand i guess. I like the fact that the front and rear of the tv is anchored..
post #186 of 466 Old 11-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Thanks Steppinrazer! Much appreciated!

Know of any free shipping or coupons for it? 400 for a stand! eekk!
post #187 of 466 Old 11-26-2007, 04:40 PM

oh jeepers.....
i got free shipping for everything
ya 400 bucks is pretty dam steep.. you could get a nice piece from a furniture store for that price

looks like amazon can hook you up w/ free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TZMEIW?...0&linkCode=asn
lead time leaves a little to be desired though...lol

edit:
here's a site.. in stock/free shipping
http://www.fotoconnection.com/p71286...eries-kdf.html
post #188 of 466 Old 11-26-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonal View Post

Thanks Steppinrazer! Much appreciated!

Know of any free shipping or coupons for it? 400 for a stand! eekk!

Does Tech Craft make a stand for these? I have a Tech Craft SDE50 for my 50A10 and it is a great stand. I would love a similar stand for my new 46E3000 (purchased today at BB for a great price).
post #189 of 466 Old 11-27-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinrazer View Post

oh jeepers.....
i got free shipping for everything
ya 400 bucks is pretty dam steep.. you could get a nice piece from a furniture store for that price

looks like amazon can hook you up w/ free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TZMEIW?...0&linkCode=asn
lead time leaves a little to be desired though...lol

edit:
here's a site.. in stock/free shipping
http://www.fotoconnection.com/p71286...eries-kdf.html

Whats the word on fotoconnection.com. Ive never ordered from there and wonder if its a legit place to buy things?
post #190 of 466 Old 11-27-2007, 07:11 PM

anyone have any good calibration settings for xbox 360 & PS3?
post #191 of 466 Old 11-28-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullets View Post

Does Tech Craft make a stand for these? I have a Tech Craft SDE50 for my 50A10 and it is a great stand. I would love a similar stand for my new 46E3000 (purchased today at BB for a great price).

Believe it or not, I shopped all over and found a great stand for $89 at Target. I think it said that it fit tv's up to 42" (I may be wrong about that) but it accomodated my 50" without problem. I saw no difference between that stand and the ones selling for $200 elsewhere. My goal was the smallest footprint possible as all of my AV stuff is in another cabinet.
LL
post #192 of 466 Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 AM

I just thought I would share my experience with the KDF-50E3000.

I just purchased a KDF-50E3000 this previous Sunday which was delivered on Monday. I also purchased a Samsung Blu-Ray BD-P1400. I will be upgrading to Directv HD but am very satisfied with the PQ over SD.

My problem is the PQ @ 1080p over the HDMI port to which I had the Samsung Blu-Ray connected is terrible. The main problem is any skin tone is distorted. Peoples faces are changing color. I made sure the Samsung was set to 1080p 24f and the E3000 displayed the same for HDMI Port 1. This was happening with Blu-Ray DVD's Spiderman 3 and 300. It also happened to Ray (SD) but Ray played flawlessly on the E3000 via a regular DVD player connected via S-Video. Same symptoms when I used HDMI Port 2. No matter what resolution setting I set the Samsung to, the TV would display the same resolution for the HDMI port. The lower I went, the worse the picture became.

I then read the Samsung BD-P1400 thread and thought maybe I got a bad unit. I exchanged the unit for a Sony BDP-S300. Same problem.

I thought maybe I got a bad Monster HDMI cable so I purchased another. Same problem.

I then connected the Sony Blu-Ray via component video. Spiderman 3 and 300 played flawlessly at any resolution I set but still no 1080p.

I was on the phone with Sony for an hour and a half until all troubleshooting attempts were exhausted and they suggested a service call. Sony tried to schedule one but the company they use doesn't service my area. They supplied two authorized repair shops of which I called the closest and am waiting for a call back. I was told that since Sony didn't give me a reference number for warranty service, they would have to call Sony to verify my problem.

While I'm frustrated that I can't get 1080p over the HDMI port, I will say that previous posters were spot on that the SD picture quality is very acceptable.

Now I wait for the call back for service. I just hope it doesn't come down to me returning the set due to no service but I should have researched authorized service centers in my area first.
post #193 of 466 Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 AM

kbrownpa

what are your settings for the hdmi 1 port? I use my PS3 over hdmi for movies and games and it looks great to me...
post #194 of 466 Old 11-29-2007, 03:38 AM

I tried every possible combination starting with the settings of the Component video port as a baseline since that picture looked perfect.

I have since talked to the authorized service center who has ordered parts and hopefully will show up Friday as scheduled. I was told that the HDMI ports are on a seperate board than the other inputs and that board was one of the parts he ordered.
post #195 of 466 Old 11-29-2007, 03:25 PM

kbrownpa

I helped my friend set up the same TV last weekend, and we hooked up my PS3 via HDMI with no picture adjustments and picture was pretty nice. We started watching Devil's Rejects on Blue Ray and were both impressed. Hope your problem is solved soon, thats a pretty nice set.
post #196 of 466 Old 11-29-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slump Buster View Post

Believe it or not, I shopped all over and found a great stand for $89 at Target. I think it said that it fit tv's up to 42" (I may be wrong about that) but it accomodated my 50" without problem. I saw no difference between that stand and the ones selling for $200 elsewhere. My goal was the smallest footprint possible as all of my AV stuff is in another cabinet.

That stand looks perfect. Do you happen to know the name of the company? Looks like I'm off to Target. Thanks!
post #197 of 466 Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullets View Post

That stand looks perfect. Do you happen to know the name of the company? Looks like I'm off to Target. Thanks!

I'm happy I could help - I looked high and low for something reasonable. I think it is this one... they have a few in this range and they all look kind of the same. They have some in black and others in silver. Like I said, it says it is for a smaller tv but I think that has more to do with weight than anything. A smaller tube tv is going to weigh more than the 50" bravia.

(note... I'll PM you the link but for those looking it appeared to be a 41" Phase stand for $99, available online or for store pickup. You almost have to get it at the store - the shipping would kill this deal)
post #198 of 466 Old 11-30-2007, 12:58 AM

there is a stand at target that fits up to 57" for about 90$

http://www.target.com/DLP-LCD-Plasma...0-%2499&page=2

only problem is like slump said with tax and shipping it rockets all the way to 272$

but thanks slump I would have never even thought to look at target for a TV stand.

Now we just need some PS3/360 Calibration settings.
post #199 of 466 Old 11-30-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahm View Post

there is a stand at target that fits up to 57" for about 90$

http://www.target.com/DLP-LCD-Plasma...0-%2499&page=2

only problem is like slump said with tax and shipping it rockets all the way to 272$

but thanks slump I would have never even thought to look at target for a TV stand.

Now we just need some PS3/360 Calibration settings.

Sigh... I know, I've been meaning to break out my Home theater calibration disk but the pic looked so good out of the box that I've been putting it off. Of course, being extremely colorblind doesn't make me the best person for this task :-)

Once again, don't be afraid to buy a stand that is smaller than what is advertised. My 50" fit just fine on the 40" stand.
post #200 of 466 Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 AM

I know that these settings are for the A3000, but I am trying them now and like them so far. Here is the link

http://help.cnet.com/9602-12576_39-0...sageID=2510459
post #201 of 466 Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

visiting a friend out in san diego, he just got his new TV (first big, HD tv they've ever owned). first day, got it setup, hooked up the cox cable dvr via composite (hasn't swapped to the hd dvr til they catch up on recorded shows), and the ps2 via composite. 2nd day i buy them a toshiba sd6000 upconverting dvd player and a hdmi cable, and he buys component cables for his ps2. today after we get back from various tourist things for me, no device will produce sound on the tv (nothing changed from this morning when it worked, not muted, tv speakers turned on, volume up, etc) unless the dvd player is turned on. unplugged the dvd player doesn't fix the issue, power cycling the tv doesn't fix the issue (but the tv is taking 60 seconds between pressing power and it showing a picture). finally after leaving the tv unplugged for 60 seconds, the issue goes away and everything behaves, but the tv still takes 30+ seconds between hitting power and it showing a picture.
any thoughts on these issues?

Neutral?
Blu: 54 Red: 25
Wii: 13 360: 32 PS3: 9
post #202 of 466 Old 12-02-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebridge View Post

visiting a friend out in san diego, he just got his new TV (first big, HD tv they've ever owned). first day, got it setup, hooked up the cox cable dvr via composite (hasn't swapped to the hd dvr til they catch up on recorded shows), and the ps2 via composite. 2nd day i buy them a toshiba sd6000 upconverting dvd player and a hdmi cable, and he buys component cables for his ps2. today after we get back from various tourist things for me, no device will produce sound on the tv (nothing changed from this morning when it worked, not muted, tv speakers turned on, volume up, etc) unless the dvd player is turned on. unplugged the dvd player doesn't fix the issue, power cycling the tv doesn't fix the issue (but the tv is taking 60 seconds between pressing power and it showing a picture). finally after leaving the tv unplugged for 60 seconds, the issue goes away and everything behaves, but the tv still takes 30+ seconds between hitting power and it showing a picture.
any thoughts on these issues?

The tv does take a while for the bulb to lite up, mine takes about 20 secs. If you are going to be away from the tv for just an hour or so just leave it on it doesn't like being shut off and turned back right away.
post #203 of 466 Old 12-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slump Buster View Post

I'm happy I could help - I looked high and low for something reasonable. I think it is this one... they have a few in this range and they all look kind of the same. They have some in black and others in silver. Like I said, it says it is for a smaller tv but I think that has more to do with weight than anything. A smaller tube tv is going to weigh more than the 50" bravia.

(note... I'll PM you the link but for those looking it appeared to be a 41" Phase stand for $99, available online or for store pickup. You almost have to get it at the store - the shipping would kill this deal)

Great call! I bought the Phase stand from Target for the price you mentioned. It looks great. They have it in both grey and gloss black. I went with black to match the TV. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #204 of 466 Old 12-02-2007, 07:32 PM

For what it is worth here are my settings from DVE and Avia. My DVD player is hooked up via component cables and was outputting at 480p when I ran the test patterns. I am happy with these setting for movies and SD but the HD settings will need further tweaking. Try these settings for a while and then go back to "vivid" to see how blown out everything was before.

Here ya go:

Picture: 60
Brightness: 54
Color: 53
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 15

I have the auto iris turned to medium because I could not stand the noticable dimming and brightening of the bulb when it was on auto. I also turned off pretty much every other option.

Let me know what you think and if you have any tweaks and suggestions, especially with HD settings.
post #205 of 466 Old 12-02-2007, 07:58 PM

Liked: 14
Today I went to both BestBuy and Circuit City to compare these two sets,
I was hoping to see the 50" KDF E3000 and the 50" KDS A3000 side by side.
Both stores only had a 720 signal and they had both sets were about 8 ft apart, and the E3000 was 50" and the A3000 was 60". So, I was unable to compare apples with apples.
The only thing I could discern was that the A3000 "looked" a little brighter on the whites and I could not tell any difference in detail.
So, I really could not tell any difference due to not being able to compare them under the same conditions.
I have checked out the A3000 thread and there are over 5000 posts, vs the E3000 thread with around 200 posts. So, if you look at #s, there sure are alot of A3000 owners.
Have any of you been able to do a fair direct comparison of the same size sets sitting side by side ?
If so, can you give me your UNBIASED opinion????
I figured if I post this question in the A3000 section they would tell me to just but the A3000.
Your honest opinions appreciated on your preferences. the difference is around $300 for the two same size sets.
Thanks
By the way, I typically only rent DVDS from blockbuster, dont have cable, and only expect to go with antenna signals for my local TV.
Much appreciated
post #206 of 466 Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM

I've had my 50e3000 for 2 weeks and I still can't get over how much less impressive the picture is than my Samsung DLP HL-S. The Sony looks so faded compared to the Samsung. Any tips?
post #207 of 466 Old 12-04-2007, 12:02 AM

Hello to everyone.

I have had my 50e3000 for a week now and I only have a question regarding the screen door effect. I have a 46e2000 in my living room and I'm used to the screen door, but on the 50" its slightly more noticable. There's a spot on the lower center portion of the screen where the screen door effect is enhanced, it seems to be a circular spot that occupies about 10% of the screen. It's only noticable on cartoons or solid colors that occupy that area. Has anyone heard of this happening?

Here are two pieces of 1 picture that I took of the screen, same zoom level.

Thanks,
Nathan
post #208 of 466 Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five1Nine8Eight View Post

Hello to everyone.

I have had my 50e3000 for a week now and I only have a question regarding the screen door effect. I have a 46e2000 in my living room and I'm used to the screen door, but on the 50" its slightly more noticable. There's a spot on the lower center portion of the screen where the screen door effect is enhanced, it seems to be a circular spot that occupies about 10% of the screen. It's only noticable on cartoons or solid colors that occupy that area. Has anyone heard of this happening?

Here are two pieces of 1 picture that I took of the screen, same zoom level.

Thanks,
Nathan

Yes! Im not the only one! I was going to make a service call! Its right above the sony symbol on the TV. At first I didnt notice it but now it drives me nuts. I only see it on bright solid colors and its crap. Any idea why its like that?
post #209 of 466 Old 12-04-2007, 08:48 AM

I think you are just seeing the "bright" spot on the tv. it is normal and shows up in one way or another on every rptv ive seen, it is just the brightest portion of the screen.
post #210 of 466 Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 AM

Thanks to all who responded to my previous post in this thread.

I just wanted to post an update to my previous post.

Service was here today and replaced a board responsible for the HDMI ports. I now have no problems at all with my Blu-Ray over the HDMI port. The picture is what I expected for 1080p @ 24f. Now all I have to to is play with the settings and thanks to those who posted theirs as a baseline.

Again, I say this TV is good bang for the buck.

Previously, any resolution over HDMI produced distorted pictures/flesh tones. Think of a picture and then having the picture change to what looks like a painting by LeRoy Nieman then having it switch back and forth.

I've attached images of the inside. The service man did say this was one of the harder TV's to work on as it usually only takes him 15 minutes to exchange a board but it took a little longer since this was the first E3000 he worked on.
LL
LL
LL
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdf 50e3000 Kdf50e3000 Lamp With Housing Xl2500 , Sony Kds 50a2020 Kds50a2020 Lamp With Housing Xl5200
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page